Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th June 2017, 20:23   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Chennai to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
gentlemen,
Any update on the road conditions?
What's a nice place to halt midway? Pondy?
I'm familiar with the route upto pondy, and generally prefer the tindivanam route (would like to avoid playing chicken with SETC buses on the wrong side and idiots on pulsars on the ECR)
But not sure about the route south of pondy - is the google maps route ok?
In my opinion I think the easiest option though longer by 60km is :

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass - Sethiyarthope - Chidambaram bypass - Sirkazi bypass - Tharangambadi-Karaikal-Nagapatnam-Velankanni.

- Chennai-Veppur is 4-lane
- Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass : Awesome 2-lane (Advantage is you direct hit the Chidambarm road without touching Vridhachalam).
- Vridhachalam-Sethiyarthope-Chidambaram : NH532 was getting re-done here. Dont know how it is today.
- Chidamabram-Sirkazhi-Tharagambadi-Karaikal-Nagapatnam-Velankanni : Good to average roads. (I Drove on this section till Karaiakal and found them to be good.)

The only unknown for me is the Vridhachalam-Chidambaram section.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 02:11   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In my opinion I think the easiest option though longer by 60km is :

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass - Sethiyarthope - Chidambaram bypass - Sirkazi bypass - Tharangambadi-Karaikal-Nagapatnam-Velankanni.

- Chennai-Veppur is 4-lane
- Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass : Awesome 2-lane (Advantage is you direct hit the Chidambarm road without touching Vridhachalam).
- Vridhachalam-Sethiyarthope-Chidambaram : NH532 was getting re-done here. Dont know how it is today.
- Chidamabram-Sirkazhi-Tharagambadi-Karaikal-Nagapatnam-Velankanni : Good to average roads. (I Drove on this section till Karaiakal and found them to be good.)

The only unknown for me is the Vridhachalam-Chidambaram section.
thanks,
Will try this route the next time. Wasted a lot of time with traffic and bad roads in pondy both ways. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the roads - the last time i had driven to velankanni was in 2009 or so, and the roads were much worse. Guess the Tsunami wasnt that bad!

but karaikal was also a bit of a hurdle- how is going via kumbakonam/thanjavur?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 07:16   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but karaikal was also a bit of a hurdle- how is going via kumbakonam/thanjavur?
(Sorry my post came out late for you.)

To answer the point on Kumbakonam/Tanjore, You dont gain much for the detour you take. Instead I reckon, its far better to take the Chidambaram-Sirkazi section.

I had driven to Kumbakonam/Mayavaram more than once last year. Was very impressed with Veppur-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondan-TPalur-Kumbakonam.

I had also visited the temples of Chidambaram/Sirkazhi via Mayavaram and hence was aware of the roads around these locations.

But yes on second thoughts:

Veppur-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondan-TPalur-Kumbakonam bypass- Kollumangudi-Karaikal : Roads are very good. But expect a lot of truck traffic on the Jaymakondan-Kumbakonam section.

Kumbakonam-Karaikal road is very good till Kollumangudi as per my data point from last year. Also the Kumbakonam bypass is fully functional.

The Route I refer to : Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote