Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 15:56   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,653
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Last January I did this stretch from Hyderabad to Manali.
Hyderabad to Nagpur you can do between 6-7hrs.Road work still going on between Kamareddy and Perkit but no issues.
After Adilabad to Hingaghat one side of the lane is open.
From Nagpur-Betul- Shahpur good roads.
Shahpur to Obaidullagunj roads are average and improves after that.
It is in this stretch of ghat lot of accidents I saw as rohan mentioned.
It took me 7hrs for this stretch from Nagpur-Bhopal.
Bhopal to Agra roads are drivable but heavy lorry traffic it took me 9.30hrs.
So plan your trip accordingly.
If it is four lane no issue, the two laned N.H with lorry traffic really drains you out.
By god!!! It sounds like a perfect horror story to me! The kinds we used to encounter at least a decade back across India. 2-lane highways that get clogged the moment a truck overturns... unmanned railway crossings on the highways with vehicles on either lanes going to both sides. Baah! I am really getting worried now.


@gajadonga, your post was really helpful though. So what you are saying is that from Nagpur to Bhopal to Agra it took you about 16.30 hours? Were the roads very bad? Did you encounter any unusual blockages or timeouts that took time away? What kind of average speed did you manage to maintain? The way I see it, if I leave Nagpur by 7 am then I should be in Agra by around 11 or 11.30 in the night?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 16:19   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
@gajadonga, your post was really helpful though. So what you are saying is that from Nagpur to Bhopal to Agra it took you about 16.30 hours? Were the roads very bad? Did you encounter any unusual blockages or timeouts that took time away? What kind of average speed did you manage to maintain? The way I see it, if I leave Nagpur by 7 am then I should be in Agra by around 11 or 11.30 in the night?
Nagpur to Bhopal to Gwalior:

Nagpur-Bhopal: Good in MH section, the roads worsens as soon as you enter MP border and there are some PATHETIC stretches that you are going to encounter and your car might need some suspension work. I did the Betul-Bhopal stretch last week and it was horrible in a Indica. The road itself is not a pure 2 Lane it is somewards 1.75 Lane road and adding to that some of the potholes are like the whole wheel of my Indica was eaten by them. The oncoming truckers will not go offroad instead you will have to. Don't do this road if you really want to avoid a perfect NIGHTMARE.

Bhopal to Gwalior is doable road with some bad stretches.

P.S: Instead the Hyderabad-Adilabad-Yavatmal-Amravati-Khandwa-Indore-Gwalior route is good. I am not aware of the road condition between Adilabad-Amravati; the last time I travelled it was good almost a year ago. The road from Amravati-Khandwa is okay, but should be covered in day time atmost by 8:00 PM. Khandwa to Indore is excellent 2 Lane road.

Last edited by mercedised : 21st October 2011 at 16:32.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 16:23   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,653
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Nagpur to Bhopal to Gwalior:

Nagpur-Bhopal: Good in MH section, the roads worsens as soon as you enter MP border and there are some PATHETIC stretches that you are going to encounter and your car might need some suspension work. I did the Betul-Bhopal stretch last week and it was horrible in a Indica. The road itself is not a pure 2 Lane it is somewards 1.75 Lane road and adding to that some of the potholes are like the whole wheel of my Indica was waten by them. The oncoming truckers will not go offroad instead you will have to. Don't do this road if you really want to avoid a perfect NIGHTMARE.

Bhopal to Gwalior is doable road with some bad stretches.
Thanks for that enlightenment. Now I am wondering on what basis people suggested me to reach Gwalior/Agra by this route!

However, if I do not do Nagpur-Bhopal then how do I reach Gwalior? According to people the other option via Sagar should be avoided at all costs!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 16:35   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
P.S: Instead the Hyderabad-Adilabad-Yavatmal-Amravati-Khandwa-Indore-Gwalior route is good. I am not aware of the road condition between Adilabad-Amravati; the last time I travelled it was good almost a year ago. The road from Amravati-Khandwa is okay, but should be covered in day time atmost by 8:00 PM. Khandwa to Indore is excellent 2 Lane road.
Look at this route on google maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Thanks for that enlightenment. Now I am wondering on what basis people suggested me to reach Gwalior/Agra by this route!

However, if I do not do Nagpur-Bhopal then how do I reach Gwalior? According to people the other option via Sagar should be avoided at all costs!
If you can assure the condition of road between Adilabad-Amravati, rest are good roads.

Khandwa-Indore: A nice 2 lane road (you will also have a chance to visit Omkareshwar which is a jyotirlinga and hence can take a halt here too)

Indore-Dewas: 4 Lane road.

Dewas-Biaora (the route via Bhopal will meet here)-Guna-Gwalior: This road is bad in some stretches, but overall it is better than Nagpur-Bhopal route.

Last edited by mercedised : 21st October 2011 at 16:39.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 16:52   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
However, if I do not do Nagpur-Bhopal then how do I reach Gwalior? According to people the other option via Sagar should be avoided at all costs!
Is it compulsory that you go via Bhopal.
I was looking at options, and thought why not this route!!

How about Hyd-Nagpur-Jabalpur-Damoh-Tikamgarh-Jhansi-Gwalior route.
Total distance by Google maps is 1226kms. The Indore route seems long to me. And last I was in Gwalior in August this year, I heard that Gwalior-Indore direct route is in shambles due to rain and a small bridge on this route gave away, disrupting traffic and people were taking Bhopal route to goto Indore.

Hyd-Nagpur is good.
Nagpur -Jabalpur should be fairly ok
Jabalpur-Jhansi - I have no idea
Jhansi-Gwalior should be good(4-laning was going on when I last travelled this route in October 2009. It should be nearly over by now).

The route also looks fairly simple and straight.
Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?-gwalior.jpg

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 21st October 2011 at 16:55.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 17:27   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Now I am wondering on what basis people suggested me to reach Gwalior/Agra by this route!
Because that is the best of the available options Roads in MP are still 10 years behind the rest of India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
However, if I do not do Nagpur-Bhopal then how do I reach Gwalior? According to people the other option via Sagar should be avoided at all costs!
You go up to Biaora from Bhopal and then take NH-3 all the way to Gwalior via Shivpuri. Expect VERY HEAVY truck traffic on NH-3 as this is a major commercial corridor [Delhi - Agra - Indore - Bombay]. To make matters worse, this is a 2-lane h/w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
If you can assure the condition of road between Adilabad-Amravati, rest are good roads.
I would not recommend this route given that the Amravati - Khandwa stretch comprises of some desolate/rural/forest areas.

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st October 2011 at 17:29.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 18:19   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 887
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

@gajadonga, your post was really helpful though. So what you are saying is that from Nagpur to Bhopal to Agra it took you about 16.30 hours? Were the roads very bad? Did you encounter any unusual blockages or timeouts that took time away? What kind of average speed did you manage to maintain? The way I see it, if I leave Nagpur by 7 am then I should be in Agra by around 11 or 11.30 in the night?[/quote]

@Zappo
I started around 5pm from Hyderabad and reached Bhopal 6am and continued
to Agra to reach around 4pm with some breaks and power naps.
I feel it would be better to halt at Bhopal or as Ranjit1 suggestion Bemketta near Bhopal.Then start fresh to Delhi.
I had a traffic jam due an accident between Bhawra and Chowk pura.was stranded for 30mins.
Next was Sobhapur near Bhopal so had to take a detour through Bhojpur so lost about
one hour in the process.Most of we guys in the forum are fast drivers but safe drivers.
So you can gauge the road conditions when I mentioned the timings.
Bhopal to Agra heavy lorry traffic otherwise manageble roads.

Last edited by gajadonga : 21st October 2011 at 18:28.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 18:24   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

@zappo: When are you planning the trip? Let me know if you cross through Indore. I live here.

Quote:
@Zappo
I started around 5pm from Hyderabad and reached Bhopal 6am and continued
to Agra to reach around 4pm with some breaks and power naps.
I feel it would be better to halt at Bhopal or as Ranjit1 suggestion Bemketta near Bhopal.Then start fresh to Delhi.
Most of we guys in the forum are fast drivers but safe drivers.
So you can gauge the road conditions when I mentioned the timings.
Every rains this road deteriorates and then the work starts of rebuilding it which takes another 3-4 months after which the road becomes good to drive. As you mentioned you did the trip in January, it is the time when this road has been patched-up. As far now the repairing is going-on due to which there are a few patches in between where the road is non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Because that is the best of the available options Roads in MP are still 10 years behind the rest of India.

Most of them are National Highways which come under Central Govt. The state govt. has been trying hard to improve the road conditions almost all of the South MP roads have been rebuilded and are now in good condition. Only the North MP roads are facing tipical problem of left in between nowhere due to NHAI and state disputes. Improving Now! Hopefully till 2014 we will have good roads throughout the state.

I would not recommend this route given that the Amravati - Khandwa stretch comprises of some desolate/rural/forest areas.

It does pass through forest area but there is absolutely no RISK! of any kind if you do the stretch before 8:00 PM. After that you will find nobody to help out if left stranded. I have done that and its fairly a nice scenic stretch.
Answers in Bold.

BTW, I will again say not to take Nagpur-Bhopal route to anyone.

Last edited by mercedised : 21st October 2011 at 18:30.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 12:01   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,653
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Great... So two new route suggestions. However, for now I will give the via Indore route a go by. Time is a precious commodity for me. And this route will be a fairly longer one. Otherwise, I could also have taken the via Mum-Ahmedabad route.

How about the route suggested by Fordmanchau? I somehow never looked at this one. Anyone has any idea of how the roads via Jabalpur are? How about the traffic? In terms of distance it is in fact some 50-60 kms less than the route via Bhopal.

I am not able to book any hotels on my journey route as yet because I still am not able to fix up the route!!! And my wife is darn sure that by the time I will decide on things we will not get a single booking in Himachal.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 12:04   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
How about the route suggested by Fordmanchau? I somehow never looked at this one. Anyone has any idea of how the roads via Jabalpur are? How about the traffic? In terms of distance it is in fact some 50-60 kms less than the route via Bhopal.

I am not able to book any hotels on my journey route as yet because I still am not able to fix up the route!!! And my wife is darn sure that by the time I will decide on things we will not get a single booking in Himachal.
As per my information the Jhansi-Jabalpur route is also in bad condition. You will encounter some equally bad roads and some good roads.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 12:13   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,653
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
You go up to Biaora from Bhopal and then take NH-3 all the way to Gwalior via Shivpuri. Expect VERY HEAVY truck traffic on NH-3 as this is a major commercial corridor [Delhi - Agra - Indore - Bombay]. To make matters worse, this is a 2-lane h/w.
Ok! So is that much of a detour? Also how many extra kms will it add to the current 1280 kms between Hyd-Nagpur-Bhopal-Gwalior route?

By the way, when I was last looking at the maps I think Shivpuri was there on my route although I can't remember whether Biaora was there too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
As per my information the Jhansi-Jabalpur route is also in bad condition. You will encounter some equally bad roads and some good roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post

Hyd-Nagpur is good.
Nagpur -Jabalpur should be fairly ok
Jabalpur-Jhansi - I have no idea
Jhansi-Gwalior should be good(4-laning was going on when I last travelled this route in October 2009. It should be nearly over by now).
Considering what mercedised says, what is the total distance of Jhansi-Jabalpur? In general if I get a mix of good and bad roads on this stretch and the distance is within manageable range for this stretch along with a comparatively manageable traffic density may be I should seriously look at this route option.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 12:22   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Ok! So is that much of a detour? Also how many extra kms will it add to the current 1280 kms between Hyd-Nagpur-Bhopal-Gwalior route?

By the way, when I was last looking at the maps I think Shivpuri was there on my route although I can't remember whether Biaora was there too.





Considering what mercedised says, what is the total distance of Jhansi-Jabalpur? In general if I get a mix of good and bad roads on this stretch and the distance is within manageable range for this stretch along with a comparatively manageable traffic density may be I should seriously look at this route option.
Both routes - via Bhopal as well as Sagar- are in bad shape now.
You need not go via Jabalpur to take the Sagar route, you turn off NH7 at Laknadon.
The Bhopal route goes via Biaora (point where you join NH3), Guna, Shivpuri & Gwalior.
Between the two, there is not much to choose from, but the balance of favour is now shifting to the route via Sagar, which has many 4-laned stretches ready. Route is Nagpur-Seni-Laknadon-Narasingpur-Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Gwalior.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 14:45   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Considering what mercedised says, what is the total distance of Jhansi-Jabalpur? In general if I get a mix of good and bad roads on this stretch and the distance is within manageable range for this stretch along with a comparatively manageable traffic density may be I should seriously look at this route option.
Jabalpur to Jhansi via Damoh, Tikamgarh is 358Kms as suggested by Google maps. I think in view of the not-so-good road conditions you can budget around 7-8hrs for this route.
Though if you have a days or two time , I can find out about the route conditions from my relatives there and update.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 15:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,163
Thanked: 3,759 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
How about Hyd-Nagpur-Jabalpur-Damoh-Tikamgarh-Jhansi-Gwalior route. .....
Jhansi-Gwalior should be good (4-laning was going on when I last travelled this route in October 2009. It should be nearly over by now).
I was on the Gwalior-Jhansi stretch about six weeks ago. At least two lanes are done, except in the towns where the bypasses are still 'work in progress'. You should be able to do it in 2:15max. This is part of the EW corridor of the GQ.

There seems to be some effect of the MPHC cracking the whip and the govt asking the centre to get off, and hand the 9/10 roads taken under the NHAI back to the state. OT but the NH93 (Etawah-Gwalior) seems to be moving fast. Four-laning of the stretch inside MP (about 110km) in full swing. The court deadline is 20/10 but someone who used it last week said that the road should be quite good by mid-Nov at the latest. Hope the same is true of other roads. At the moment it is almost impassable at places. Hope the same is true of other roads.

Politics says take the road under NHAI, and then do zilch to give the state a bad name. Done by Raja and then Kamal Nath for different reasons.

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th October 2011 at 15:09.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 15:05   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,653
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Both routes - via Bhopal as well as Sagar- are in bad shape now.
You need not go via Jabalpur to take the Sagar route, you turn off NH7 at Laknadon.
The Bhopal route goes via Biaora (point where you join NH3), Guna, Shivpuri & Gwalior.
Between the two, there is not much to choose from, but the balance of favour is now shifting to the route via Sagar, which has many 4-laned stretches ready. Route is Nagpur-Seni-Laknadon-Narasingpur-Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Gwalior.
HVK, so what you are saying essentially means either ways the roads are as bad. I am now wondering whether it then makes sense to halt at Nagpur/Bhopal (depending on the route I take) and then do a Agra run on the next day!

I thought the Jabalpur route as suggested by Fordmanchau was not touching Sagar at all. That's why I thought its worth exploring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Jabalpur to Jhansi via Damoh, Tikamgarh is 358Kms as suggested by Google maps. I think in view of the not-so-good road conditions you can budget around 7-8hrs for this route.
Though if you have a days or two time , I can find out about the route conditions from my relatives there and update.
Please do. If you can figure it out today please do PM me as well. I am planning the run in December but then I need to tie up the logistics (booking of hotels is primary).
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyderabad to Mangalore: 850 Kms: Doable in a day? Digital Vampire Route / Travel Queries 24 2nd May 2017 09:10
Bhopal-Ajanta-Ellora-Mahabaleshwar-Konkan-Shirdi-Bhopal columbus Route / Travel Queries 28 6th October 2015 17:30
Hyderabad - Thiruvananthapuram : Doable in a day? rknair Route / Travel Queries 25 13th January 2013 23:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks