Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th October 2007, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Dude's it doesnt make sense in him spending 12 hrs only travelling. Wonder why people are suggesting Mysore since its gonna be way too crowded during the weekend.

Driving to / beyond mysore will be a nightmare.

Friday do a little bit of pub trotting and call us if you feel like .
Saturday morning visit Shivanasamudram and surrounding areas.
Sunday simply drive to some place around bangy 60kms max and come back by evening to take your flight.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 17:37   #17
BHPian

First check on the taxis availability at your hotels travel counter for 19th. Normally most of the vehicles will be either going to Mysore or would have taken off for Ayudha Puja.

Mysore will be very much crowded as it will be fantastic to see at this time. Mysore will be completely lit( mostly around palace) & you will never forget that experience.

My suggesion is morning you plan to visit Srirangapatnam(temple, Tipus palace, Sangam etc) which will take half a day & then visit Jaganmohana palace. After that walk across to Mysore palace see inside & around 7PM they will lit the entire palace. On the way back if possible visit torch light parade rehersal and head back to bangalore. You may reach Blr around 12PM & next day you can take rest at your hotel & leave to Delhi.

It is a packed schedule but worth every minute of it. If you feel it is too packed then you can visit temple at Srirangapatnam & go straight to Mysore.

I think you will rarely get a chance to visit mysore at this point of time. Make use of it.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 09:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

jango, hemanthisgreat, greatDrive, raghaviyengar, akroy, chandan, benbsb29, dadu, rjstyles69, Tiger..

Thanks for your suggestions....

Ooty dropped completely, I guess it will not be better than Himachal/Uttaranchal hills, which I travelled extensively. And most importantly I am less on time.

Regarding, Mysore I see lots of people say it will be crowded, but I feel, if Dusshera is big thing there, I must see that. Specially when I am alone and not with kids and wife, I can afford to be the part of rush.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 16:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Weekend in bangalore and Around.. Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta

Raking up this thread once again because technically this destination is over 150kms from Bangalore and would not like to disturb the other thread for the exact purpose.

Have travelled to Mysore many times but not able to visit Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta even after a lot of planning. Heard very good things about the scenic beauty once you ascend from the plains. So have anyone gone there before and if so please throw some light on the state of road, distance from Mysore, what to do there. Also heard that you have to return back well before evening as the area is restricted after dark. So inputs welcome so that this can be yet another weekend getaway for the weary Bangalorean if he choses to stay in Mysore else a long drive from Bangalore and back in a day!
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 16:50   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend in bangalore and Around.. Please suggest

Yes there are restrictions on timings.

They start letting folks in only by 8 AM. The Poojari/Priest turns up at around 8.30 AM / 9 AM. The road last stretch is potholey ( i.e once you leave NH 67 ). Bangalore - Mysore road has been talked about quite extensively here. Not sure of the latest on the Mysore - Nanjangud stretch.

They also mark your permission slip with an exit time ( typically 1 hour - 1.5 hours ), by which you are expected to come out to the gate below.

It's a very nice serene place with breathtaking views - you won't be disappointed. But don't be surprised if you're the only family up on the hill if you do it on a weekday
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post

They start letting folks in only by 8 AM. The Poojari/Priest turns up at around 8.30 AM / 9 AM. The road last stretch is potholey ( i.e once you leave NH 67 ). Bangalore - Mysore road has been talked about quite extensively here. Not sure of the latest on the Mysore - Nanjangud stretch.

They also mark your permission slip with an exit time ( typically 1 hour - 1.5 hours ), by which you are expected to come out to the gate below.

It's a very nice serene place with breathtaking views - you won't be disappointed. But don't be surprised if you're the only family up on the hill if you do it on a weekday
How long does it take from Mysore considering the state of roads and is it a possibility to do the run starting from Bangalore in case you do not want to halt in Mysore.

Also what is the latest that you can reach the place after which you are not allowed to get in.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:06   #22
BHPian

Give yourself around 2 hours from Mysore. Being at the forest checkpost before 2 PM might be preferable.

Possible to do the to and fro on the same day from BLR - but better enjoyed if done over 2 days and pace it well enough to cover other places around.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 13:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post

They start letting folks in only by 8 AM.
Have they changed the entry times recently? When I went there a couple of years back, We were allowed at 6 am (there was a board saying that entry will be allowed after 6 am IIRC). In fact we reached the gate at around 5.30 and the guard allowed us only after 6. We were the first ones on the hill.

That said, early morning is the best time to visit this place. It has lovely views of the region and not at all crowded.

The Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet road should be in good condition.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Yes they have, I think from Jan 2011. TV9 carried some news earlier this year. During my visit in May, they let me in only by 8-8.15. Likewise for some of my relatives who visited recently.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 12:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Have been planning to do a direct from Bangalore to Gopalaswamy Betta but heard that it would be very dry and brown all over and would be best to go after rains. Read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...y-betta-2.html (A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta)
Also did a long drive last month to Bhu Varahaswamy Temple near Mandya. The idea was more towards a long drive plan more than anything else. Some info about that in - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...my-mandya.html (Bangalore Weekend Getaway- long drive to Bhoo (Bhu) Varahaswamy - Mandya)

But badly want to do a long drive this month and hence would like to know if anyone has gone there recently and their take about the nature now at Gopalaswamy.
Old 10th April 2012, 13:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
But badly want to do a long drive this month and hence would like to know if anyone has gone there recently and their take about the nature now at Gopalaswamy.
Girish,

Goplaswamy betta will be brown now and wait for couple of mango showers when it turns green.

If you want a long drive try to go to Wayanad and come via Gudalur from Sultan Bathery to Bangalore on return. You have eye soothing sights of tea gardens here. Excellent road. Take a look at my TL.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-weekend.html (Fauji's Drivologues - Unwinding in wonderful Wayanad over the weekend!)

Other option is to drive in Malnad. You will not see water falls but still wille enjoy the scenes. It is an excelllent drive. Include Kudremukh in your route. Take a look at another TL of mine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-monsoon.html (Fauji's Drivolgues - Mesmerised in Malnad in Monsoon!!)
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote