Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th October 2007, 09:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Weekend in bangalore and Around.. Please suggest

Hi All,

I will be in bangalore on 19th October, for an office meet for a day, and then I will have weekend to visit some places.

Whats are the places that can be covered in full saturday and half sunday, considering will have flight to Delhi Sunday evening.

Can I cover Mysore and Ooty, If I hire a taxi. Bangalore to Ooty, which is around 260KM I guess.
What are Taxi charges?

What are other ways, like Volvo buses etc?

Will I have to stay at ooty for saturday night and come back to bangalore on Sunday?

What are the 3 star level accommodation in ooty?
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 10:06   #2
BHPian

It is going to be extremely crowded over the weekend of 19th. You could think about Mysore on taxi as a one day trip. Plenty of buses are there, but I [presume it is going to be crowded
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 10:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
It is going to be extremely crowded over the weekend of 19th. You could think about Mysore on taxi as a one day trip. Plenty of buses are there, but I [presume it is going to be crowded

Anything specific on that weekend... Also I may not mind crowd as I will be alone.
Old 11th October 2007, 10:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

I will suggest two things,

- on saturday early morning take a taxi for Mysore sightseeing and come back by late evening.

- On sunday morning goto bannerghatta national park, enjoy the full jungle safari and see the Zoo, that will take half a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Hi All,

I will be in bangalore on 19th October, for an office meet for a day, and then I will have weekend to visit some places.

Whats are the places that can be covered in full saturday and half sunday, considering will have flight to Delhi Sunday evening.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 10:27   #5
BHPian

If you have not seen any waterfalls, you can either visit Hogenakkal falls (180km) or Sivansamudram - Gaganchukki/Barrachukki falls( 130Km).
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 10:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I will suggest two things,

- on saturday early morning take a taxi for Mysore sightseeing and come back by late evening.

- On sunday morning goto bannerghatta national park, enjoy the full jungle safari and see the Zoo, that will take half a day.
Thanks Dadu, do you suggest i should drop Ooty completely?

Also what are general Taxi charges? Any reliable Travel/Taxi owner?
Old 11th October 2007, 10:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything specific on that weekend... Also I may not mind crowd as I will be alone.
oops I just realized, its dusshera weekend..
Old 11th October 2007, 10:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to drop the idea of ooty as you would end up, spending most of ur time travelling ...like someone said in the above post you can do a little bit of pubbing on fri eve and leave for mysore on sat morning, reach mysore and visit places of intrest nearby and reach b'lore the same day by eve...and on sun visit the banerghatta park....
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 10:58   #9
BHPian

there is nothing much in ooty and you will be totally put off as the place will just be crowded to the brim. i suggest you go to wayanad instead. it in kerala. not far from mysore. nearer than ooty. but here also i doubt you will get any accommodation to stay. but do try. its worth it. you need to stay at kalpetta in wayanad district,woodlands is a good place to stay in kalpetta. From kalpetta u can see all the places. if you prefer to stay at a resort rather than going around, go to vythiri resort. vythiri
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 11:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Dusshera is a big thing for Mysore palace and there will be a lot of traffic jams all over because of the heavy crowd.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 11:04   #11

Quote:
Hi All,

Can I cover Mysore and Ooty, If I hire a taxi. Bangalore to Ooty, which is around 260KM I guess.
What are Taxi charges?

What are other ways, like Volvo buses etc?

Will I have to stay at ooty for saturday night and come back to bangalore on Sunday?

What are the 3 star level accommodation in ooty?

I don't think it would be possible for you to visit Mysore and Ooty in two days. I think it would be better if you stick to Mysore this time and go straight to Ooty the next time you are here

I would have also suggested Belur, Halebid and shravan belgola to you (that are near Hassan) but since it is dushera, i would defenately recommend mysore. It is a must see, especially during this time of the year!! So, Here is what you can do...

- Start very early on sat. Visit Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary near Shrirangapattana. Then you can go on and vist the historical places and temples in and around Shrirangapattana.
- Head to Mysore and cover Chamundi hills by mid afternoon. Optionally you can visit Jaganmohana Palace in Mysore which is a museum.
- In the Evening you can go to KRS ( On the way to KRS, you have balmuri falls, you can think about it if you have time and light ).
- Come back to mysore, see the palace lights and go around a bit in mysore and stay there.
- Start early Sunday morning for Bangalore and on the way you can cover Shivana Samudram that greatDrive mentioned.

I would suggest you hire a taxi and talk to the driver and give him the entire program so that he can suggest changes if required.

Have fun!!!
raghaviyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 11:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Drop Mysore / Ooty plans, I suggest go to Shivasamudram/Talakkad in a full day trip...Start early morning and back by 9PM...

Take your bath at talakkad...have breakfast in Kamat Lokaruchi, carry your lunch there as there are no hotels...Have your dinner at Indradhanush...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 12:23   #13
BHPian

Rajiv,

I just replied to your query on NH yahoo groups.Check it out.
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 12:40   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Dusshera is a big thing for Mysore palace and there will be a lot of traffic jams all over because of the heavy crowd.
Very true. Almost all places of tourist interest in Mysore would be crowded to the brim at this time. I made the same mistake last year. Seeing the serpentine queues outside the Mysore palace as well as at KRS put me off completely.

Ooty would be a bad idea as someone suggested, as you would spend a lot of time travelling.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 13:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Other have already posted for your ooty query, for taxi check with your office guys for non-official discounted rates. That will be most reliable too.

Quote:
Also what are general Taxi charges? Any reliable Travel/Taxi owner?
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote