Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 13:51   #2146
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
I guess, I will take the decision on the diversion when I reach the spot - based on the time.
If you need a clean easy drive take the NH via Hubli. If you really want to see that part, then go via Mundgod. As others mentioned, you dont save much time via this route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 10:29   #2147
BHPian
 
bharatbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 108 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Guys, I need your opinion on the road conditions on the following routes:

Onward: (750 Kms) Bangalore > Shimoga > Jog falls > Murudeswara > Gokarna > Karwar > North Goa

I will be visiting Jog and Murudeshwar on the onward journey

Return: (600 Kms) North Goa > Khanapur (SH93) > Dharwad (By-pass, NH4) > Haveri > Ranebennur > Harihar > Davangere (By-pass) > Hiriyur > Tumkur > Bangalore

This routing from North Goa is only 600 Kms and I may save at-least 1-2 hrs (compared to Karwar-Ankola route), but how are the current road conditions?

Last edited by bharatbs : 21st March 2013 at 10:32.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 12:12   #2148
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 9,253 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Return: (600 Kms) North Goa > Khanapur (SH93) > Dharwad (By-pass, NH4) > Haveri > Ranebennur > Harihar > Davangere (By-pass) > Hiriyur > Tumkur > Bangalore
Have you contemplated on North Goa - Chorla - Belgaum - Dharwad - Tumkur - Bangalore route? In Dec 2012 when I last drove, the Chorla ghats were undergoing upgrade with a fresh layer asphalt.

Now it seems that the whole section is clean and clear. In fact, this is one scenic route that witnesses very less traffic and quite faster too.

http://goo.gl/maps/RlrSH
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 13:30   #2149
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Guys, I need your opinion on the road conditions on the following routes:

Onward: (750 Kms) Bangalore > Shimoga > Jog falls > Murudeswara > Gokarna > Karwar > North Goa

I will be visiting Jog and Murudeshwar on the onward journey
This would stressful as you break, see places and drive again. Even if you start by say 3AM, I am sure you would reach Goa only by night. Giving enough for breaks and visits.

Quote:
Return: (600 Kms) North Goa > Khanapur (SH93) > Dharwad (By-pass, NH4) > Haveri > Ranebennur > Harihar > Davangere (By-pass) > Hiriyur > Tumkur > Bangalore
DOnt have to go to Khanapur. At Ramnagar you take the road to Alnavar and there on to the road to Dharwad. Ponda-Ramnagar is not all that great though.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 16:46   #2150
BHPian
 
Hells_Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Onward: (750 Kms) Bangalore > Shimoga > Jog falls > Murudeswara > Gokarna > Karwar > North Goa
My wife and I rode down to Goa last month and this is the route that we took. You have nothing to worry about as far as the road condition is concerned.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 17:14   #2151
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 929
Thanked: 271 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Guys, I need your opinion on the road conditions on the following routes:

Onward: (750 Kms) Bangalore > Shimoga > Jog falls > Murudeswara > Gokarna > Karwar > North Goa

I will be visiting Jog and Murudeshwar on the onward journey
Couple of weeks before i traveled till Sagar. Roads are excellent. If you are planning for night drive, just be prepared for mist conditions in that area. Also plan for eateries also.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 18:19   #2152
BHPian
 
bharatbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 108 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This would stressful as you break, see places and drive again. Even if you start by say 3AM, I am sure you would reach Goa only by night. Giving enough for breaks and visits.
I forgot to mention, I will be staying at Murudeshwar for one night before moving to Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
DOnt have to go to Khanapur. At Ramnagar you take the road to Alnavar and there on to the road to Dharwad. Ponda-Ramnagar is not all that great though.
The road I have posted is a different one; it avoids Ponda altogether.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 18:35   #2153
BHPian
 
bharatbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 108 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Have you contemplated on North Goa - Chorla - Belgaum - Dharwad - Tumkur - Bangalore route? In Dec 2012 when I last drove, the Chorla ghats were undergoing upgrade with a fresh layer asphalt.

Now it seems that the whole section is clean and clear. In fact, this is one scenic route that witnesses very less traffic and quite faster too.

http://goo.gl/maps/RlrSH
This is 80% the same route, except instead of going to Belgaum from Chorla, you take a shortcut via Khanapur and hit Dharwad (NH4).

Any idea about the road via Khanapur? I wan't basically avoid Belgaum city traffic.

This is the route I am suggesting

Last edited by bharatbs : 21st March 2013 at 18:40.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 21:31   #2154
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
The road I have posted is a different one; it avoids Ponda altogether.
Chorla-Khanapur, I am not aware and also have not read about it.
But if you want to take that, it defeats the purpose as you end up taking another SH to reach Dharwad which is not worth while.

If you plan to take the route via Chorla, then its better to drive to Belgaum. If you want to reach Dharwad then take the Ponda route via Alnavar. But I also remember Ranjit saying Ponda route is not that all that great. That leaves either Choral-Belgaum option of the one via Ankola-Hubli.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 23:04   #2155
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 9,253 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Any idea about the road via Khanapur? I wan't basically avoid Belgaum city traffic.
Honestly, I am not aware of the road Via Khanapur. Ideally, crossing Belgaum City traffic is a pain only in the evening else it takes less than 30 minutes to completely exit the city through the main Bus Stand all the way till VTU campus.

I had to take the Belgaum-Chorla route last time as I had to drop my mother to Belgaum Bus Stand from where she was continuing her journey to Pune while rest of were driving to North Goa.

In general, Belgaum-Chorla route is all good to be called as another viable alternative to drive to Goa.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:43   #2156
BHPian
 
swapnilup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 59
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post

This is 80% the same route, except instead of going to Belgaum from Chorla, you take a shortcut via Khanapur and hit Dharwad (NH4).

Any idea about the road via Khanapur? I wan't basically avoid Belgaum city traffic.

This is the route I am suggesting
To road to Khanapur splits after Jamboti at a Y intersection, left goes to Belgaum and the right takes you to Khanapur. I had been there about an year back and based on the road condition then, I would say avoid it.
swapnilup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 13:15   #2157
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

There is a wedding I need to attend in Goa in May this year. I feel like driving down and if I drive, it will be 3 adults and a 1 yr old, along with luggage(2 medium suitcases and a cabin size bag in the boot). Car is a Maruti Esteem.

1. Should I go ahead considering it could be really hot on the highway in May?
2. Can this be done in one shot with a couple of 20-30 minute breaks or do I have to rent a room en-route?
3. Best route with good roads and petrol pumps/rest rooms at regular intervals?
4. Any one done this with a Baby On Board?

PS: The same passengers (1yr old was then 11 months old) have done Hyderabad - Bangalore, with just one stop of 20 mins. But this drive is about 6 hrs only compared to 9 hrs(shortest route as per Google Maps).

Please advice.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 13:22   #2158
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,552
Thanked: 6,310 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
4. Any one done this with a Baby On Board?

PS: The same passengers (1yr old was then 11 months old) have done Hyderabad - Bangalore, with just one stop of 20 mins. But this drive is about 6 hrs only compared to 9 hrs(shortest route as per Google Maps).

Please advice.

MaSh

My daughter was around the same age when I did Hyderabad - Chennai - Hyderabad.
Each trip was about 12 hour of driving.

My daughter was safe and secure in her CHILD seat. Please note that I would avoid any driving especially if a highway is involved without having a kid in a secured age appropriate seat.

Also all adults need to be securely belted in.

Take all speed breakers with utmost care.
Prepare some easy to digest food for the baby.

Take into consideration unplanned halts. You cannot drive with baby in soiled diaper.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 13:31   #2159
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 701
Thanked: 354 Times
Post re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Should I go ahead considering it could be really hot on the highway in May?
I had done Bangalore<->Goa in May-2012. It was very, very hot!, particularly the 4-lane stretch (till Hubli). The outside temperature was hovering around 39 deg C (shown on my Civic display).

You must ensure that the AC is in good condition.
Also the tyres must be in good condition.

There are 'Kamat' food breaks along the way. You can find them on google-maps.

You need to plan to reach Goa with an empty fuel tank, since petrol is very cheap there!
manim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 13:56   #2160
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My daughter was safe and secure in her CHILD seat. Please note that I would avoid any driving especially if a highway is involved without having a kid in a secured age appropriate seat.

Also all adults need to be securely belted in.

Take all speed breakers with utmost care.
Prepare some easy to digest food for the baby.

Take into consideration unplanned halts. You cannot drive with baby in soiled diaper.
Yes to all of the above. Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had done Bangalore<->Goa in May-2012. It was very, very hot!, particularly the 4-lane stretch (till Hubli). The outside temperature was hovering around 39 deg C (shown on my Civic display).

You must ensure that the AC is in good condition.
Also the tyres must be in good condition.

There are 'Kamat' food breaks along the way. You can find them on google-maps.

You need to plan to reach Goa with an empty fuel tank, since petrol is very cheap there!
Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Yes AC is good, but will surely be serviced 1 week before the drive and tested. Tyres are new, but will still be checked and all alignments done.

Reach Goa on empty tank, I am not sure if I will take that chance. I top up as soon as the needle comes close to half. But a good tip never the less. Will keep in mind.

Which route had you taken? What was your average speed?

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2147 21st August 2017 11:52
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks