Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th April 2013, 13:27   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Thanks everybody. I would prefer something after Dharwad.

If i take this route
Route : Bangalore -> Hubli --> Belgaum --> Jamboti --> Sanquelim -->Mapusa --> Candolim
I will have to go through Belgaum city right ? Any by-pass ?
If you dont have any reason to go to Belgaum,you can easily take the Dharwad-Ramnagar-Londa-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-Candolim.

Continue on the Dharwad bypass and you would see an exit for Alnavar (SH34).At Alnavar continue straight towards Ramnagar.At Ramnagar junction,take a right onto the NH4A(straight goes towards Castlerock,Mollem,Ponda)and continue towards Khanapur on NH4A.At Khanapur take the road to Jamboti.I dont have any info on the Khanapur-Jamboti link road,if its bad,continue towards Piranwadi Cross and take the Jamboti road.

The Dharwad-Ramnagar has been relaid and has been reported to be in good condition.Londa-Khanapur is also good.No need to go to Belgaum at all.

http://goo.gl/maps/1nZFQ
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 14:07   #2177
BHPian

Tuesday i took Candolim > Mapusa > Sanquelim > Jamboti > Belgaum > Hubli > Bangalore.

Thanks to Manjubp for the route.
Chorla Ghat route is wonderful with few vehicle traffic. On to the karnataka border there are doing up the shoulders of the road also.

One important information, do keep the entry fees paid receipt when you go into Goa until you return. they are asking for that slip while on return also.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 10:38   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you dont have any reason to go to Belgaum,you can easily take the Dharwad-Ramnagar-Londa-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-Candolim.

Continue on the Dharwad bypass and you would see an exit for Alnavar (SH34).At Alnavar continue straight towards Ramnagar.At Ramnagar junction,take a right onto the NH4A(straight goes towards Castlerock,Mollem,Ponda)and continue towards Khanapur on NH4A.At Khanapur take the road to Jamboti.I dont have any info on the Khanapur-Jamboti link road,if its bad,continue towards Piranwadi Cross and take the Jamboti road.

The Dharwad-Ramnagar has been relaid and has been reported to be in good condition.Londa-Khanapur is also good.No need to go to Belgaum at all.

http://goo.gl/maps/1nZFQ
Instead of taking a left at Dharwad bypass (towards Alnavar), can I go till MK Hubli on NH4 and then take a left towards Khanapur? Any update on the road between MK Hubli and Khanapur?
manojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 10:56   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
Instead of taking a left at Dharwad bypass (towards Alnavar), can I go till MK Hubli on NH4 and then take a left towards Khanapur? Any update on the road between MK Hubli and Khanapur?
I last heard the road is bad-though I dont have any present info.this information is a couple of months old.The alnavar ramnagar route is good so imho no reason for you to not take it.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 10:37   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
I saw the Khanapur road while returning, so checked with the locals but they mentioned roads are not good. So eventually i took the route through Belgaum.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 08:35   #2181

Hi,
I am planning to drive in a VW Polo along NH 17 Panaji-Honavar and then on NH 206 to Shimoga-Tumkur and then NH4 to Bangalore. Could anybody advise me on current road conditions, if it is a nice drive along NH 206 and places to see and stay around Shimoga.
Thanks
bencharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 10:21   #2182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencharles View Post
Hi,
I am planning to drive in a VW Polo along NH 17 Panaji-Honavar and then on NH 206 to Shimoga-Tumkur and then NH4 to Bangalore. Could anybody advise me on current road conditions, if it is a nice drive along NH 206 and places to see and stay around Shimoga.
Thanks
You can also try Goa-Ankola-Yellapur-Sirsi-Sagar-Shimoga

You can see places around Sirsi like Banavasi/Yana etc. Around Yellapur you have Magod/Sathodi falls and viewpoints liek Jenukallu gudda.

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2013 at 10:24.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 21:03   #2183

Thanks Ampere. The Yellapur-Sirsi route is 40 kms longer. Actually, this is a quick trip to Bangalore with no sightseeing. Since I will be returning via NH-4, I thought I'll try NH 206 on the onward journey with a stopover at Shimoga. Is a picturesque drive in May (or only after monsoon??); any idea of road conditions? And places to stay at Shimoga close to the highway. Thanks
bencharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:42   #2184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencharles View Post
Thanks Ampere. The Yellapur-Sirsi route is 40 kms longer. Actually, this is a quick trip to Bangalore with no sightseeing. Since I will be returning via NH-4, I thought I'll try NH 206 on the onward journey with a stopover at Shimoga. Is a picturesque drive in May (or only after monsoon??); any idea of road conditions? And places to stay at Shimoga close to the highway. Thanks
May be in that use the Honnarvar route. Regarding the vegetation, its should be sufficiently green in spite of monsoons.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 15:47   #2185

Hi,
I might be driving down to Dabolim, Goa from Bangalore on monday/tuesday. More social than touring. Looking for advice on best route (fastest). This would be part of the return leg of an Ahmedabad-Bangalore-Kozhikode-Mangalore-Bangalore trip so far
Would going through Karwar be a good option?
What drive time should I plan for? I drive a petrol Indica Xeta (the 1.4 litre version).
Thanks in advance for the inputs
amarnani13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 17:29   #2186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarnani13 View Post
Would going through Karwar be a good option?
What drive time should I plan for? I drive a petrol Indica Xeta (the 1.4 litre version).
Depends on where you would be staying. If South Goa, Karwar is the best. (Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 16:22   #2187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Depends on where you would be staying. If South Goa, Karwar is the best. (Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa).
Thanks for the inputs. Am headed for Vasco, very near Dabolim. Would also request your advice on how much time the drive take.
amarnani13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 22:41   #2188
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the inputs. Am headed for Vasco, very near Dabolim. Would also request your advice on how much time the drive take.
Depends on what time you leave Bangalore. If you are a conservative driver and leave by 4 you v

Can make it in 11 hours or less with short breaks. If you leave after 5 add an hour and half for Bangalore traffic. Depending on which part of Bangalore you are staying, Nice road might be a good option. PM me for more details
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 22:48   #2189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Deepak mentioned, I would not suggest but urge you to leave by 4. Leave means by 4 you ARE on the road by 4AM and most probably on NH4 beyond Yashwantpur by 4:30. That way I can surely estimate that in 11 hours you would be in Goa.

8:30 Ranebennur, Around 1 at Ankola and at resort by 3:30/4.

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2013 at 22:50.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 11:47   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Deepak mentioned, I would not suggest but urge you to leave by 4. Leave means by 4 you ARE on the road by 4AM and most probably on NH4 beyond Yashwantpur by 4:30. That way I can surely estimate that in 11 hours you would be in Goa.

8:30 Ranebennur, Around 1 at Ankola and at resort by 3:30/4.
To add to my previous thread:
I dont drive very fast but have made it in 10 hours. There is a post by me in this same thread with exact details from October 2010 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2107065) but there will be better and more recent updates thereafter. SInce you are going to vasco, you could take either the Karwar route or the Belgaum route. The Hubli Belgaum route road condition is much better but there is a good chance of taking the wrong route as I did last year (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...potel-goa.html (Return to Sun Surf Sand but no Sorpotel - Goa!)). It was quite a scary experience. If you are not familiar with the route, Karwar may be a better option.

Deepak
deepak_misra is offline   Reply With Quote