Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:57   #2281
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 453 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I will be driving to South Goa. My destination is Betalbatim Beach (
http://www.belezagoa.com/contact_us.html ). From the posts above, I assume that the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar route would be ideal for this location. Is Chorla route worth trying just for the sake of exploring another route? If yes, how longer is it( in terms or time and distance ). I have taken all other routes to Goa.

Also, If I start at 5:00 AM, when I can I expect to reach South Goa?
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:32   #2282
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to South Goa. My destination is Betalbatim Beach (
http://www.belezagoa.com/contact_us.html ). From the posts above, I assume that the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar route would be ideal for this location. Is Chorla route worth trying just for the sake of exploring another route? If yes, how longer is it( in terms or time and distance ). I have taken all other routes to Goa.

Also, If I start at 5:00 AM, when I can I expect to reach South Goa?
You can go to Beleza via karwar and come back via chorla.In terms of distance,there is no difference.Its the same.Should be around 250kms from Beleza to the NH4-NH63 intersection via both routes.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:46   #2283
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 453 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You can go to Beleza via karwar and come back via chorla.In terms of distance,there is no difference.Its the same.Should be around 250kms from Beleza to the NH4-NH63 intersection via both routes.
I would take the faster route on return. Could you please let me know the faster route? Also, more directions on the Chorla route would be great (do I go via Belgaum?)

Thanks in advance.

Just saw that you suggested to return via Chorla. Which place should I look for from Beleza to return via Chorla?

Last edited by pramodpk : 2nd September 2013 at 11:57.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:26   #2284
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I would take the faster route on return. Could you please let me know the faster route? Also, more directions on the Chorla route would be great (do I go via Belgaum?)

Thanks in advance.
I guess both the routes would more or less take the same time.

For Chorla,Hubli bypass-Dharwad-Turn left to Alnavar-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Khanapur-Turn left-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim.

http://goo.gl/maps/xaMKu

From There is a route to Chorla via Ponda.but I am not sure of the turnoffs.Either wait for somebody to respond here,or better to ask in Ponda.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:43   #2285
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 229 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to South Goa. My destination is Betalbatim Beach (
http://www.belezagoa.com/contact_us.html ). From the posts above, I assume that the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar route would be ideal for this location. Is Chorla route worth trying just for the sake of exploring another route? If yes, how longer is it( in terms or time and distance ). I have taken all other routes to Goa.

Also, If I start at 5:00 AM, when I can I expect to reach South Goa?
The Mollem route is not bad now if you don't mind some occasional bad patches between Alnavar and Anmod. The Anmod ghat is in really good condition. This will be shortest and scenic also. I have updated the details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-ertiga.html (Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga). It took around 10 hours to reach Panaji for a 7 AM start from Bangalore. It will be little less for you as you are planning to start early. Karawar-Yellapur-Hubli route will be the fastest for the return.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:33   #2286
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 453 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I guess both the routes would more or less take the same time.

For Chorla,Hubli bypass-Dharwad-Turn left to Alnavar-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Khanapur-Turn left-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim.

http://goo.gl/maps/xaMKu

From There is a route to Chorla via Ponda.but I am not sure of the turnoffs.Either wait for somebody to respond here,or better to ask in Ponda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
The Mollem route is not bad now if you don't mind some occasional bad patches between Alnavar and Anmod. The Anmod ghat is in really good condition. This will be shortest and scenic also. I have updated the details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-ertiga.html (Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga). It took around 10 hours to reach Panaji for a 7 AM start from Bangalore. It will be little less for you as you are planning to start early. Karawar-Yellapur-Hubli route will be the fastest for the return.
I will take the Hubli Ankola route while going. Will take Chorla route on return.
Don't want to take the Molem route if it has bad sections. I have taken that route in 2008. Does the Chorla route join NH 4 at Dharwad?
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:43   #2287
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 106
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will take the Hubli Ankola route while going. Will take Chorla route on return.
Don't want to take the Molem route if it has bad sections. I have taken that route in 2008. Does the Chorla route join NH 4 at Dharwad?
I will be taking the same routes as well. Starting Fri, 6th Sep evening 5PM from Bangalore and stop-over in Hubli ( Kamat Yatrinivas ). Next day continue onward journey Hubli->Ankola->Karwar->South Goa. Return route plan is Tue, 10th Sep 11AM Starting south goa take the Chorla route to Dharwad and backtrack on NH4 to Bangalore.
Haque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:52   #2288
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Does the Chorla route join NH 4 at Dharwad?
Please refer to the map.Chorla road ends up on NH4A at Khanapur.http://goo.gl/maps/COKFu
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:48   #2289
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Folks, for the Aug 15th long weekend, i took advice from friends here and drove to north goa via Hubli, Dharwad, Ramnagar, Anmod Ghat, Ponda and Panjim.

Left JP Nagar at 5am via BSK ring rd, breakfast at Chitradurga and hit Hubli bypass at 10am. Was able to cover this distance in good time considering we were able to beat the morning rush and great roads ofcourse.

From then on it was a bit slow due to smaller roads and constant rains.. took left turn onto Panjim road from Dharwad bypass. This road is newly done so is good to drive on but for some pending work in between. We reached Panjim at 2pm with a total travel time of 9hrs. The ghat road is slightly bad in patches but overall this is a good road to take and the shortest to reach Panjim from Bangalore.

Only irritating thing was the Rs250 entry tax for private cars into Goa.. there is no justification whatsoever for this fee and probably the only state that charges tax for private cars

The entire baga, calangute stretch was packed with tourists and every parking lot is fleecing car owners with min of Rs40 to Rs50 parking charge even if you park for 10 mins which is ridiculous.

Our return was on 18th Aug, we started from candolin at 12 noon and took the same route back. Stopped at Ramnagar for lunch at this quaint hotel next to the bus stop and another stop outside of Hubli around 5pm at Kamat. Drove nonstop from there till Tumkur and took NICE road to reach home by 10.15pm. Due to heavy traffic our return journey took about 10.15hrs. My Tata Manza QJet gave an average of 16kmpl with 4 passengers even though I was going well over the limit.

Overall, it's a great drive and i'd suggest people to really try this route instead of using the karwar, south goa route which is crowded all the time.
Brian Ammanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:43   #2290
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

No question - take the route from Dharwar / Ramnagar / Khanapur / Ponda. It is about 80 Km and over an hour quicker.

You will get a couple of short stretches of pot holes but I assure you - NOTHING like Garuda Mall crossing or Annapaleya stretch.

If you leave at 0500, you will be there (Margao) by 1330 - of course depending on speed and stops, but 1330 is a safe bet.


Drive safe and enjoy. ZeeBop should be open now !
ArjunVS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:40   #2291
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ammanna View Post

Only irritating thing was the Rs250 entry tax for private cars into Goa.. there is no justification whatsoever for this fee and probably the only state that charges tax for private cars
The justification for the entry tax is well and truely the fact that you get dirt cheap fuel in Goa,so to make that up the tax is charged.You get a refund of the tax if you exit Goa in 4 hours though.I think its fair enough and even helps people from neighbouring states as they can still cross over-fill up fuel and exit in 4 hours!
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:32   #2292
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The justification for the entry tax is well and truely the fact that you get dirt cheap fuel in Goa,so to make that up the tax is charged.You get a refund of the tax if you exit Goa in 4 hours though.I think its fair enough and even helps people from neighbouring states as they can still cross over-fill up fuel and exit in 4 hours!
But the cost difference is only on petrol. Diesel is almost the same so doesn't justify for diesel cars..
Brian Ammanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 10:56   #2293
BHPian
 
alokgunhal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 59
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

About two weeks ago paragsachania, funkykar and I with our family did a Goa trip:

We synced up at Nelamangala at 4:30 AM and kept good pace with breaks in between at Ranebennur Kamat to have Home made breakfast, Hubli Bypass to catch up, Chorla for photo op and quick lunch. Once we crossed the border I slowed down and took Mapusa route to Calungate and funkykar and paragsachania took Old Goa route and we reached at 4:30 PM.

On the return leg tanked up at Calungate and started at 9:45 AM and drove through NH17 via Margao (Topped up again for a few litres just before the border), Karwar and Honnavar. Took the NH206 at Honnavar and drove thorugh excellent mist filled roads to reach Jog Falls at 4:00 PM. Spent about half an hour to get a glimpse of Jog falls as the water was released. But due to the mist managed to see just two falls. Continued on the NH206 all the way till Tumkur. Except for a small patch of 100 mtrs near Kadur this route is also excellent with 2 laned roads. Reached home at 12:15 AM after a super drive through the NH17-NH206 combo.
alokgunhal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 12:56   #2294
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I have to drive down from Bangalore to Goa (South) tomorrow.

Plan to take the BLR > HUBLI > ANKOLA > KARWAR> MARGAO route.

However between Haveri and Ankola there is a bypass that saves about 40km by skipping Hubli. Does anyone know if this bypass road is good and is worth taking ?

Name:  goamap.JPG
Views: 2475
Size:  61.5 KB

Would appreciate a quick reply as I need to leave tomorrow early morning

Edit: This bypass I believe passes through the following places
Bankapur> Konankeri > Mundgod and joins at Yellapur

Thanks
Fillmore

Last edited by Fillmore : 5th September 2013 at 13:07. Reason: added more info
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 14:01   #2295
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have to drive down from Bangalore to Goa (South) tomorrow.

Plan to take the BLR > HUBLI > ANKOLA > KARWAR> MARGAO route.

However between Haveri and Ankola there is a bypass that saves about 40km by skipping Hubli. Does anyone know if this bypass road is good and is worth taking ?

Attachment 1134246

Would appreciate a quick reply as I need to leave tomorrow early morning

Edit: This bypass I believe passes through the following places
Bankapur> Konankeri > Mundgod and joins at Yellapur

Thanks
Fillmore
I guess you are referring to the Bankapur-Mundgod road-not worth it.Go via Hubli-Yellapur.No savings in time or road conditions via the "shortcut"
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2185 21st October 2017 08:20
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks