Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 22:21   #2491
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,315
Thanked: 3,656 Times
Default Short-cut to Yellapur - AVOID

Any one travelling to Goa via Yellapur / Karwar: Please do not take the short-cut from Bankapur on NH-4 / AH-47, via Mundgod to Yellapur. This stretch is bad, and has been so for the last few years.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 23:09   #2492
BHPian
 
ashkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vasco-Goa
Posts: 345
Thanked: 310 Times
Default Re: Short-cut to Yellapur - AVOID

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any one travelling to Goa via Yellapur / Karwar: Please do not take the short-cut from Bankapur on NH-4 / AH-47, via Mundgod to Yellapur. This stretch is bad, and has been so for the last few years.
Thanks condor, that is a valuable piece of information. I was thinking of taking that route to save some time and distance, and now I think I will take the Chorla ghat route instead of the yellapur-karwar road.
ashkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 10:52   #2493
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: Short-cut to Yellapur - AVOID

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any one travelling to Goa via Yellapur / Karwar: Please do not take the short-cut from Bankapur on NH-4 / AH-47, via Mundgod to Yellapur. This stretch is bad, and has been so for the last few years.
Very valuable piece of information. I did not take this route last time suspecting the same. Thank you for confirming this and making all future drives easier for drivers. Posts like these are some of the best posts of T-BHP.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 15:43   #2494
BHPian
 
Mr_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 820
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I returned to Bangalore yesterday from Ponda via Madgaon, Karwar and Hubli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
BLR-Goa: Via Ankola

4AM start from BLR : 8 AM Ranebennur Kamat for Breakfast (~320KM)
8:30 AM start from Kamat Ranebennur to Kamat Ankola for Lunch: 12:15/12:45 AM (~ 190km)
1:30/2 PM Start from Kamat Ankola : Madgaon : 3:15 PM

All this at just about triple digit speeds.
Can you please provide a complete route map by sharing the google map link? I have not gone on any long trip over the past 1 year, I want to do Bangalore-Goa again sometime in month of April/May.

My last trip to Goa on January 5th 2013 came with loads of bad memories, I met with an accident on the Hubli-Dharwad byepass, a momentary loss of concentration after lunch & the next second I see my car crossing the opposite side and heading into the deep road side trench. Myself and wife were lucky to survive, had minor bruising to the legs & shoulder. The impact sent my wife's knee crashing into the housing near the gearbox.

The car (baleno) was written off owing to high repair cost (power steering, suspension, bumper, windsheild. I knew it would never be back to his pristine condition.

I regret taking the wrong route in the first place. Now that it is all over, I want to drive again to Goa to wipe off my bad memories.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 16:43   #2495
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Can you please provide a complete route map by sharing the google map link? I have not gone on any long trip over the past 1 year, I want to do Bangalore-Goa again sometime in month of April/May.

My last trip to Goa on January 5th 2013 came with loads of bad memories, I met with an accident on the Hubli-Dharwad byepass, a momentary loss of concentration after lunch & the next second I see my car crossing the opposite side and heading into the deep road side trench. Myself and wife were lucky to survive, had minor bruising to the legs & shoulder. The impact sent my wife's knee crashing into the housing near the gearbox.

The car (baleno) was written off owing to high repair cost (power steering, suspension, bumper, windsheild. I knew it would never be back to his pristine condition.

I regret taking the wrong route in the first place. Now that it is all over, I want to drive again to Goa to wipe off my bad memories.
Sorry to hear about your last experience.

The map via karwar is this http://goo.gl/maps/UrIf7

If you are headed to north,you could try this:
http://goo.gl/maps/vdTrZ
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 19:08   #2496
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 179 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
My last trip to Goa on January 5th 2013 came with loads of bad memories, I met with an accident on the Hubli-Dharwad byepass, a momentary loss of concentration after lunch & the next second I see my car crossing the opposite side and heading into the deep road side trench.
Very sorry about your bad experience. Glad both of you could make it through. I shudder to think about what would've happened here. This thing was constantly playing in my mind when I drove last time in Dec 2013.

I suggest you to fly this time and leave the roads below. Its too early for you to be driving back again. Somehow I have started feeling that Goa is too long a drive from Bangalore. The scope for something to go wrong is always there, and the chances increase by the time you hit Goa (south via Karwar). Roads become narrow, drivers become aggressive and you will be at the end of your efficiency due to fatigue. Hell...I am getting old.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 20:42   #2497
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
I suggest you to fly this time and leave the roads below. Its too early for you to be driving back again. Somehow I have started feeling that Goa is too long a drive from Bangalore. The scope for something to go wrong is always there, and the chances increase by the time you hit Goa (south via Karwar). Roads become narrow, drivers become aggressive and you will be at the end of your efficiency due to fatigue. Hell...I am getting old.
Accidents are never intentional thats why its called an accident isnt it?the trick is to get back on the road and learn from your previous experience and not to give up driving completely.If you give it up altogether then it would only eat into you more imo.driving again is a chance to show yourself that you have learnt from the previous experience and are committed to not make the same mistake again.just my two cents
ranjitp1 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:53   #2498
BHPian
 
Mr_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 820
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Accidents are never intentional thats why its called an accident isnt it?the trick is to get back on the road and learn from your previous experience and not to give up driving completely.If you give it up altogether then it would only eat into you more imo.driving again is a chance to show yourself that you have learnt from the previous experience and are committed to not make the same mistake again.just my two cents


Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Very sorry about your bad experience. Glad both of you could make it through. I shudder to think about what would've happened here. This thing was constantly playing in my mind when I drove last time in Dec 2013.
The accident happened at 1 PM, it took 5.5 hours & repeated reminders for the M.A.S.S vehicle (RNS Motors, Hubli) to come.

It was an harrowing experience as I was driving a TN registered vehicle, there is absolutely no shade on this highway. A policeman landed up after 3 hours demanding money from us & threatening to file an FIR. Settled him by paying 100 rupees.

Few folks surrounded our car, I was little worried about valuables in my car & locked the car immediately after the accident. People kept coming and going during this time, asking questions on how it happened. My wife was fluent in kannada, hence we could manage.

Here is some snap, should give you an idea of the location. What is the so sad about this accident that I could have very well avoided it, I took the Hubli-Karwar route after lunch, drove for 1 km & realized that my GPS was not showing it as a valid route, drove back to get into the dharwad byepass .
Attached Images
   
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 13:00   #2499
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 179 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Accidents are never intentional thats why its called an accident isnt it?the trick is to get back on the road and learn from your previous experience and not to give up driving completely.If you give it up altogether then it would only eat into you more imo.driving again is a chance to show yourself that you have learnt from the previous experience and are committed to not make the same mistake again.just my two cents
Strongly agree. My advise was not to give up driving completely, but to *avoid it just this time*, given the logistical issues of a long drive. Flying and having a good time in Goa will enable the person to leave the bad memories quickly behind. In this same thread, I remember of having someone requesting for route avoiding Ranebennur because they had a bad experience there (two sides to a coin). When it comes to driving, every event is unique. Experiences are of course useful, and it takes you till a point when you meet with your next unique event - just like in life.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 13:25   #2500
BHPian
 
Musaafir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 77
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post




The accident happened at 1 PM, it took 5.5 hours & repeated reminders for the M.A.S.S vehicle (RNS Motors, Hubli) to come.

It was an harrowing experience as I was driving a TN registered vehicle, there is absolutely no shade on this highway. A policeman landed up after 3 hours demanding money from us & threatening to file an FIR. Settled him by paying 100 rupees.

Few folks surrounded our car, I was little worried about valuables in my car & locked the car immediately after the accident. People kept coming and going during this time, asking questions on how it happened. My wife was fluent in kannada, hence we could manage.

Here is some snap, should give you an idea of the location. What is the so sad about this accident that I could have very well avoided it, I took the Hubli-Karwar route after lunch, drove for 1 km & realized that my GPS was not showing it as a valid route, drove back to get into the dharwad byepass .
Mr_Bean... Never mind. Accident last year was a bad dream and you are not going to remember it for long. Just get into your car and start driving towards Goa. You will have a wonderful vacation. Complete your journey in the daylight and concentrate on the road. That's it. Bangalroe - Goa route is good and nothing to worry about.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 15:27   #2501
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 149
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Mr.Bean - sorry to read about your accident - however as most of the members are saying here - it can now be safely forgotten and you can move on. I am sure that prayers and best wishes of all members of the forum are with you all the way - drive safe and have a great time in Goa - God Bless You
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 21:12   #2502
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 110
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Will be doing a road trip to Goa in 2 weeks time. I might be able to start only after lunch and not too keen on driving beyond 7 pm-ish. Any suggestions for a decent family accommodation between Davangere and Hubli? I reckon that's where I would be after a 4-5 hour drive from Bangalore.
ozzyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 00:05   #2503
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,165 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Will be doing a road trip to Goa in 2 weeks time. I might be able to start only after lunch and not too keen on driving beyond 7 pm-ish. Any suggestions for a decent family accommodation between Davangere and Hubli? I reckon that's where I would be after a 4-5 hour drive from Bangalore.
If you start by 1 PM I think by 7/8 PM you should be in Hubli. 4 hours of drive should take you to Ranebennur Kamat (330km). Another 2 hours you are in Hubli.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 08:12   #2504
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 738
Thanked: 796 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Will be doing a road trip to Goa in 2 weeks time. I might be able to start only after lunch and not too keen on driving beyond 7 pm-ish. Any suggestions for a decent family accommodation between Davangere and Hubli? I reckon that's where I would be after a 4-5 hour drive from Bangalore.
Try the Gateway Hotel Lakeside at Hubli. The reviews seem to be very good. A couple if my friends have stayed at this property and were extremely satisfied. They were talking about the breakfast spread a lot. Have a good trip. If you don't want to drive beyond 7 pm,ensure that you are passing Nelamangala by 2 pm.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 21:38   #2505
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 110
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start by 1 PM I think by 7/8 PM you should be in Hubli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Try the Gateway Hotel Lakeside at Hubli.
Thanks guys! Guess the preferred option then is to reach Hubli for the overnight stay. Have to ensure to start from Bangalore latest by 1 pm.
ozzyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2146 17th August 2017 22:30
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks