Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 14:52   #2776
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

We tried the seemingly new Apoorva Resort near Ranebennur for lunch. It is located bang on the highway on your left when you travel from Bangalore. Food was good(veg only), reasonably priced with good service. Clean restrooms was a plus.
luvurride is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 15:00   #2777
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Thanks Swaroop.
Pardon a lame question - Diesel, although more than petrol, must be cheaper in Goa than in BLR right?
Diesel was about 3-4 bucks more than petrol there. 62-63 I think. This was 2 months ago, end of July. So after the recent hikes in Diesel they should be about the same I guess as here in Bangalore. A quick search for prices here
sswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 16:43   #2778
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Diesel was about 3-4 bucks more than petrol there. 62-63 I think. This was 2 months ago, end of July. So after the recent hikes in Diesel they should be about the same I guess as here in Bangalore. A quick search for prices here
Diesel was priced at 63.xx the same as in KA. This was last week. Petrol was 58.xx almost a difference of INR5.
luvurride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 23:11   #2779
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlborough, MA/Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I call this route the Kamat route!

BF: Ranebennur Kamat:
Lunch: Ankola Kamat. To reach this Kamat, please note once you hit NH17 from NH63 (Ankola bypass), you need to drive towards Ankola (and not Karwar). Its about 2km from this junction.

But if you want a non-veg option, you need to drive another 30km to Karwar. Amruth is the place.
Are all these restaurants on the highway? Can a first-timer miss them?

Regards
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
10am- Depart Bangalore, Whitefield.
11.30am- Left AAB, Thanisandra road junction.
3.00pm- Turnoff at Haveri towards Mundgod.
6.00pm- Turnoff at Yellapura
7.30pm- Reached Destination at Makara Village Resort, Kumta.

The above time includes 45mts breakfast break at AAB, 1hr lunch break at Apoorva Resort, 30mts nature break and 1.15 hrs sightseeing break at Mundgod.
luvurride,
(1) how is the road condition/surface between Haveri and Yellapura via Mundgod? Is it a 2-lane or 4-lane road?
(2) you've mentioned 1.15 hrs spent on sightseeing at Mundgod. what are the things of interest over there?

Regards
Rex

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd October 2014 at 16:22. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:59   #2780
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Are all these restaurants on the highway? Can a first-timer miss them?

Regards
Rex
All the Kamats are on the highway.
Amrut is inside Karwar town. GMaps will guide you quite easily.




Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
luvurride,
(1) how is the road condition/surface between Haveri and Yellapura via Mundgod? Is it a 2-lane or 4-lane road?
(2) you've mentioned 1.15 hrs spent on sightseeing at Mundgod. what are the things of interest over there?

Regards
Rex
There are about 5kms of unpaved roads before Mundgod with roadwork and culvert works going on. Plus the SH is typical of patches and undulations. However they weren't a deterrent to my XUV. I wouldn't advise it to a low slung sedan though. After Mundgod, the road is a single lane but the surface is good. It'll be fun to negotiate with on coming vehicles! And the cattle there use only the roads, so need to watch out.

Mundgod is a Tibetan settlement much like Bylaguppe near Kushalnagar, but with the charm of being unexplored by tourists. It was fairly large and gave the feeling of being in a different country! Most of our time was spent in visiting the monastry and having our evening tea outside the teashop operated by them.
luvurride is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:40   #2781
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 354 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampath Kumar View Post
The interior roads which you have mentioned via curchorem and kulem are shorter by about 8 kms, but is not going to save your time or comfort as the roads are in bad shape as of now.. Sampathkumar
Sampath - I did end up taking the route via Curchorem/Kulem just for the heck of it and found it to be a pleasant surprise - roads were in good condition most of the way and scenary was superb. While the route via Ponda might be faster, this one was definitely an enchanting drive. Some pics attached...
Attached Images
     
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:27   #2782
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,483
Thanked: 8,373 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Are all these restaurants on the highway? Can a first-timer miss them?

Regards
Rex
In addition to the already stated, for Ankola Kamat, you will need to drive towards Ankola town (which is opposite to Karwar/Goa) once you reach Nh17 from NH63. And then you drive for about 1-2km to reach the place.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:29   #2783
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlborough, MA/Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
There are about 5kms of unpaved roads before Mundgod with roadwork and culvert works going on. Plus the SH is typical of patches and undulations. However they weren't a deterrent to my XUV. I wouldn't advise it to a low slung sedan though.
That's very useful information. My ride is an Altis. So, I may not want to look at this route as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In addition to the already stated, for Ankola Kamat, you will need to drive towards Ankola town (which is opposite to Karwar/Goa) once you reach Nh17 from NH63. And then you drive for about 1-2km to reach the place.
Thanks, ampere. I remember seeing this from one of your earlier posts.

Regards
Rex

Last edited by rex_varghese : 2nd October 2014 at 21:31.
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:47   #2784
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,143
Thanked: 253 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Just came back from trip to South Goa. Took Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar - South Goa route to and fro. Excellent road, other than a few bad stretches in the small ghat section after Yellapur towards Karwar.

Started from Marthahalli, Bangalore at 3:30 AM, had breakfast at Ranebennur Kamat at 7 AM, and reached Goa fee counter in south goa at 12 PM - including breaks totalling to around 1 hour. Very good roads in south goa, though narrow, reached resort in Betalbatim beach (close to Colva) at 1 PM.

Started back from resort at 9 AM yesterday, went to Palolem beach, had lunch at Ankola Kamat and reached home by 9:30 PM. The traffic was high while entering Bangalore from Neelamangala. I usually start early and reach Bangalore before evening - started late this time as no one was in a mood to go home.

Thanks ampere for all the suggestions.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 3rd October 2014 at 08:48.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:55   #2785
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,483
Thanked: 8,373 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I usually start early and reach Bangalore before evening - started late this time as no one was in a mood to go home.
This is the problem for any return trip! If its a long one, it becomes even more problematic. I have one suggestion for Goa leg. If you start late, take one more day off visit may be Magod or Gokarana etc and break for the day at Hubli. Drive to Bangalore the next day! Works out very well.

Or similarly plan some sight seeing on the Jog route and stay at Shimoga.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd October 2014 at 09:12.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 23:09   #2786
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 241 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Just came back from trip to South Goa. Took Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar - South Goa route to and fro. Excellent road, other than a few bad stretches in the small ghat section after Yellapur towards Karwar.

Started from Marthahalli, Bangalore at 3:30 AM, had breakfast at Ranebennur Kamat at 7 AM, and reached Goa fee counter in south goa at 12 PM - including breaks totalling to around 1 hour. Very good roads in south goa, though narrow, reached resort in Betalbatim beach (close to Colva) at 1 PM.

Started back from resort at 9 AM yesterday, went to Palolem beach, had lunch at Ankola Kamat and reached home by 9:30 PM. The traffic was high while entering Bangalore from Neelamangala. I usually start early and reach Bangalore before evening - started late this time as no one was in a mood to go home.

Thanks ampere for all the suggestions.
Am staying at Palolem now and plan to start tomorrow to Bangalore. Where should I tank up (diesel)? Have about quarter tank of diesel left. There is an HP bunk near by enroute Margao. Anything else on the way to karwar?
glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 11:50   #2787
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 65
Thanked: 38 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Guys,

Need some help. I am driving down to Goa on Thursday. Going to towards Anjuna so plan to take the NH4 till Belgaum and take the Chorla ghat route. Thanks a ton for all the suggestions that everyone has put in this thread.

While coming back, I was planning to take the NH17 via Mangalore. Have always wanted to do this route. Karwar-Kumta-Honnavar-Bhatkal-Udupi-Mangalore and then take the Mangalore-Bangalore NH. I had been from Mangalore to Honnavar almost a year back and the road was being widened all the way. Does anybody have any info on how the road condition is from Karwar through Mangalore and also the Shiradi ghat section. How much time might it take from Anjuna to Bangalore considering minimal breaks.

Thanks,

Ashwin
ashbhat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 12:54   #2788
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,483
Thanked: 8,373 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Does anybody have any info on how the road condition is from Karwar through Mangalore and also the Shiradi ghat section. How much time might it take from Anjuna to Bangalore considering minimal breaks.
Horrible roads around Bhatkal. Maybe you should drive till Honavar on NH17 and then shift to NH206 to Tumkur via Jog/Shimoga/Arsikere. No point driving all the way to Mangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 5th October 2014 at 12:59.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 15:30   #2789
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 11 Times
Exclamation re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Going to towards Anjuna so plan to take the NH4 till Belgaum and take the Chorla ghat route
I got back from Vagator last evening, and would particularly like to warn anyone planning to take the Chorla route of a possible mistake that I made, that could cost you a lot of time and unnecessary risk.

There is an exact parallel route to your planned route, Tillari road, that goes Tillary damn and Doddamarg to meet at Mapusa. On Google, this will show as a grew line, indicating that they haven't yet marked it. You could end up on this route if you happen to miss one turn, at Channamma Circle in Belgaum town towards Sardar ground, and happen to take the Bachi-Raichur highway.

I made the above mistake while attempting to take the Chorla route as suggested by Ampere. I guess this happened while looking around for a restaurant or two for my daughter, post fueling up immediately after hotel Sankem (didn't quite like Sankem from the look of it - looked kind of shady to me).

This route, the Tillari route, is aweful! It's desolate, to the extent that you would not see a soul in miles together. It is full of potholes, there was a thick fog that consumed us, the lone mother and daughter in the Scorpio, in between, and cleared us out at the ghats which were so steep and so broken that one could fear breaking down any minute and extending the adventure indefinitely. Additionally, there is no network for at least 50 km, and it rained like crazy, logging the forest roads to transform into mini rivers instantly!

This route, however, happens to be slightly shorter than the Chorla route, so in terms of distance I didn't lose much. Time taken was much more, and my 2 year old daughter and I were scared to an extent, though we are both mad enough to have quite enjoyed the spooky adventure that the entire package brought us

On my way back I decided to play safe and take the default Gmaps route via Mollem and Hubli. Would like to inform you that the bad patches have reduced from 60 km to 30 km now on addition of a new toll road stretch 130 to 160 km from Vagator (100 to 130 km being bad, though only sporadically and in patches).

Overall this was a good route, scenic, smooth, civilized and with basic amenities of dhabas, toilets (unclean though) and a few small fuel bunks - did it (633 kms) in about 10 hours with many bio-breaks
RajshreeM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 17:27   #2790
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,483
Thanked: 8,373 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajshreeM View Post
I made the above mistake while attempting to take the Chorla route as suggested by Ampere. I guess this happened while looking around for a restaurant or two for my daughter, post fueling up immediately after hotel Sankem (didn't quite like Sankem from the look of it - looked kind of shady to me).
Quite surprised at this. Its actually one of the best in town. I have stayed there with family and its very comfortable and I would rate the experience quite high. The food was also very good. (This was last year)

Quote:
This route, however, happens to be slightly shorter than the Chorla route, so in terms of distance I didn't lose much. Time taken was much more, and my 2 year old daughter and I were scared to an extent, though we are both mad enough to have quite enjoyed the spooky adventure that the entire package brought us
You can never miss the Chorla route, if you look for Jambotti at Belgaum. Thats the other point too. When looking at maps, you should always look for the next way point as per your original high level plan. If there is a fork or some significant point, you can mark it and look for it before proceeding to the next leg. If you look for Mapusa at Belgaum (instead of Jambotti), then yes Google can provide an alternate solution, which may not be what you might have intended to take originally.

For Chorla ghat road the essentials are:

- Belgaum Exit at Sankam Hotel.
- Khanapur Fork
- Jambotti
- Chorla
- Sanquelim
- Mapusa

PS: I am sorry if any of my suggestions misguided you.

Last edited by ampere : 5th October 2014 at 17:29.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2182 18th October 2017 06:30
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks