Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 15:08   #2881
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
The 'bad stretch' which I mentioned as the upcoming road in my previous post is a 1-2km of flat/levelled mud road with Jelly stones.
========
would need to maintain a speed of 10-20kmph for 5 minutes which went down well with the Indica since the suspension was rugged.
Thanks @alstonlobo. Since I have a sturdy SUV, should be manageable. Will try it in few weeks on my way to Karwar.
asinghal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 14:00   #2882
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Guys,

Has anyone tried the road from Castle Rock station which joins SH-34 about 6-7 km before Ganeshgudi ?
ManuMacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 19:43   #2883
BHPian
 
deadguy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 42 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Team,

On which day do they have the flea market? I think it is twice a week on two different locations?

thanks.
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 20:51   #2884
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 3,151 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
On which day do they have the flea market? I think it is twice a week on two different locations.
Wednesdays morning to evening - Anjuna market.
Saturday evening to late night - Arpora.

You can find the details in my travelouge here (Wanderlust Traveler @ Goa: Beaches, Forts, Churches, Dolphins and a Taxi).
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 10:05   #2885
BHPian
 
deadguy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 42 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Wednesdays morning to evening - Anjuna market.
Saturday evening to late night - Arpora.

You can find the details in my travelouge here (Wanderlust Traveler @ Goa: Beaches, Forts, Churches, Dolphins and a Taxi).
Thank you Suhas. That is an awesome travelogue.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 11:00   #2886
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 476
Thanked: 265 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Back from a South Goa trip two days back.
  • We took this route to avoid most of the tolls.
  • Yellapur - Bankapur stretch is very scenic. Lots of twists and turns here as a major chunk of the road would be in a forest area. You'd get to see primates almost everywhere in this forest area. There is an upcoming road somewhere between Mundgod and Bankapur, avoid it if your car cant handle mud roads.
  • Don't miss spotting the Gaden Jangtse Thoesam Norling Monastery in Mundgod. Its huge!
Note: We did not have any issues at the checkpost before Karwar since my wife was driving
1. What difference does it make in the checkpost if a woman is driving ? Do they check thoroughly for alcohol in the luggage ? I haven't been to Goa in the last couple of years and hence the query.

2. This Tibetan monastery is bigger than Namdroling Monastery in Bylakupe ? In Bylakupe you have many Tibetan Dhabas where you can get Momos. Are there any such Dhabas or tibetan restaurants in Mundgad ?



Prowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 11:34   #2887
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 473
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
1. What difference does it make in the checkpost if a woman is driving ? Do they check thoroughly for alcohol in the luggage ? I haven't been to Goa in the last couple of years and hence the query.

2. This Tibetan monastery is bigger than Namdroling Monastery in Bylakupe ? In Bylakupe you have many Tibetan Dhabas where you can get Momos. Are there any such Dhabas or tibetan restaurants in Mundgad ?
  1. Difference? The look on the cop's face will give you the answer. They are much polite and respectful when dealing with a woman. They did not touch our car or ask to open any door to check for contents. The luggage on the carrier was packed with a layer of bedsheet which would raise eyebrows of any officer but we got a clean chit, we regret not carrying anything after what happened. We were done and dusted with the checkpost in 30 seconds.
  2. The Monastery is not open for public yet and a part of it is under construction. By the looks of it, its as big as the Bylakupe one.

Last edited by alstonlobo : 17th December 2014 at 11:35.
alstonlobo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 09:08   #2888
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 50 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

All
Quick update.Reached candolim yesterday at 130 having left home at 4 am. The route was Dharwad Alnavar ramnagar Mollem Ponda,Panjim. The road is very good except for a bad patch for about 20 kms after Ramnagar. The Old Goa diversion is nothing major and well regulated no worries at all

There is significant less crowd in Goa for this time of the year. The locals seem to attribute to terror threat to rouble depreciation and sharp hike in visa fees for the brits and so on.
A great time to be here 😊
subbu567 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 10:06   #2889
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Last time, I stopped at kamat near Rannebennur, the day of a long weekend start, it was a mess and so crowded, they couldnot handle the crowd. So they stopped serving food totally. Any other options nearby for simple breakfast/stop?
asinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 11:37   #2890
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 9,259 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinghal View Post
Last time, I stopped at kamat near Rannebennur, the day of a long weekend start, it was a mess and so crowded, they couldnot handle the crowd. So they stopped serving food totally. Any other options nearby for simple breakfast/stop?
Another Kamat just 60 kms ahead. 29 kms Before Hubli on the right hand side.

Ghar Dhaba is just 10 kms ahead of Ranebennur Kamat but wouldn't recommend.

CCD too is another 40 kms ahead of Ranebennur Kamat on left Hand side right at Shiggaon.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 11:05   #2891
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Another Kamat just 60 kms ahead. 29 kms Before Hubli on the right hand side.

Ghar Dhaba is just 10 kms ahead of Ranebennur Kamat but wouldn't recommend.

CCD too is another 40 kms ahead of Ranebennur Kamat on left Hand side right at Shiggaon.
Thanks.. I also saw a previous post with google maps links to places on the way. have learnt now to carry some bf with me in case, can't find a decent place to stop.
asinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:24   #2892
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 2,419 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Posting for an update for road conditions from Bangalore to Gokarna and further to Karwar.
Planning to ride via Tumkur - Shimoga- Sagar-Honavvar-Gokarna.

I had done this route some 7 years back last and have no idea of the present condition.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:38   #2893
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 407
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Posting for an update for road conditions from Bangalore to Gokarna and further to Karwar.
Planning to ride via Tumkur - Shimoga- Sagar-Honavvar-Gokarna.

I had done this route some 7 years back last and have no idea of the present condition.
I did this route just last week, excellent roads. I avoided Tumkur and took the following route

BLR -> Nelmanagala -> Chenraypatana -> Arsikere -> Shimoga -> Sagar -> Honnavara -> Karwar.

While returning, I left at around 2 PM, so took the quicker route [but tolls]

Karwar -> Yellapur -> Mundgod -> Bankapur [Joins NH4] -> BLR. The return journey took us only 7.5 hrs.
rbp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:13   #2894
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 60 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I did this route just last week, excellent roads. I avoided Tumkur and took the following route

BLR -> Nelmanagala -> Chenraypatana -> Arsikere -> Shimoga -> Sagar -> Honnavara -> Karwar.
How much time did it take you to reach Karwar by this route? I am traveling to south Goa this Thursday and was planning to take Dharwad-Mollem route as it is the shortest but with some bad patch. If this Sagar-Honnavar route is better, will take that.
rajivtelang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 13:11   #2895
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 407
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
How much time did it take you to reach Karwar by this route? I am traveling to south Goa this Thursday and was planning to take Dharwad-Mollem route as it is the shortest but with some bad patch. If this Sagar-Honnavar route is better, will take that.
Karwar was my destination, I don't have much idea from Karwar to Goa. I halted in Shimoga the previous day.

BLR -> Shimoga = 4 to 4.5 hours depending on traffic.
Shimoga -> Karwar = 5 hours [including 10 mins break]

The NH4 route is the quickest, but lots of tolls and very boring drive. The Shimoga route is scenic and if you love driving is the route to pick.
rbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2147 21st August 2017 11:52
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks