Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 14:35   #3001
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,086
Thanked: 9,801 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are targeting to go to a resort/hotel in south Goa then Hubli/Yellapur/Ankola/Karwar makes sense. For north Goa options Jambotti/Chorla makes sense.
Adding to what you say, if you are driving anywhere around Madgaon, Ramnagar-Mollem makes great sense now and I don't know why one should not take that route if destination is around this.

Roads have got better compared to last year and easily driveable.

Of course, there are no CCDs or swanky restaurants till you reach Dudhsagar Spa Resort just before the Goa Entry toll booth.

Having driven this only 2 weeks before (and exactly one year before this I took the same route), I will surely recommend NH4A and not completely ignore this.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 15:28   #3002
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,206
Thanked: 1,152 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

For me personally, no trip to goa is complete without stopping at karwar on the way and having seafood at Hotel Amrut for lunch. Completely worth going via NH63 simply for that reason.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 15:51   #3003
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Adding to what you say, if you are driving anywhere around Madgaon, Ramnagar-Mollem makes great sense now and I don't know why one should not take that route if destination is around this.

Roads have got better compared to last year and easily driveable.

Of course, there are no CCDs or swanky restaurants till you reach Dudhsagar Spa Resort just before the Goa Entry toll booth.

Having driven this only 2 weeks before (and exactly one year before this I took the same route), I will surely recommend NH4A and not completely ignore this.
Though I need to head North Goa, I think I will take the Alnavar-Ramnagar-Mollem route considering your experience with the same. @ampere- Jamboti-Chorla I have heard is scenic but I guess it has narrow roads on ghats.
Any tips on a night halt enroute. I was wondering if Hubli would be fine and then I can start early morning from there. Also, suggest places to stay if any.
fahadkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 17:49   #3004
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,489
Thanked: 8,380 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadkhan View Post
@ampere- Jamboti-Chorla I have heard is scenic but I guess it has narrow roads on ghats.
Any tips on a night halt enroute. I was wondering if Hubli would be fine and then I can start early morning from there. Also, suggest places to stay if any.
No idea about night drives. I wont recommend. Chorla during day is nice. If you want to stay in Hubli you have Clarks Inn. Now there is a Taj Gateway too!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 18:47   #3005
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,086
Thanked: 9,801 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadkhan View Post
Though I need to head North Goa, I think I will take the Alnavar-Ramnagar-Mollem route considering your experience with the same.
For North Goa, Chorla will indeed make sense. The most preferred option it is.
Quote:
Jamboti-Chorla I have heard is scenic but I guess it has narrow roads on ghats.
This is something we often get to hear about various ghats on the western circuit. They refer Charmadi Ghats down south as narrow too and recommend other options. Chorla is equally narrow with lesser traffic.

I think when it comes to Ghats, narrow roads come as no surprise most of the times. That said, Chorla should not cause much worry to you as the entire stretch is well done without a single pothole.

Quote:
Any tips on a night halt enroute. I was wondering if Hubli would be fine and then I can start early morning from there. Also, suggest places to stay if any.
Ampere has answered it rightly. Generally, I am the last person to advice stay options on this circuit as I have never halted for the night during all my drives.

I believe you must be starting late afternoon and hence targeting a night halt at Hubli? Otherwise, There is absolutely no reason why one would halt at Hubli for a journey to Goa which is another 3 hours away! Maximum junta here on the forum do Bangalore-Goa in a day without a halt unless you are really uncomfortable driving 10-11 hours at a stretch or due to any other personal reasons.

And now - If you manage an early morning start from Hubli (Say 6am), you can target Belgaum by 7:30AM and crossing the city to head towards Chorla ghats wont be a time consuming affair.

If you delay your start such that you pass Belgaum between 9-10am, expect an easy 45 minutes to cross the city from one end to another.

If you want to bypass Belgaum altogether and still take Chorla -
Simply take Hubli-Alnavar-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla route. The fact is that the 15 kms Khanapur-Jamboti stretch is now fully done and serves as a very good road to reach the Chorla route without touching Belgaum.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th March 2015 at 18:49.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:47   #3006
BHPian
 
Hart-BEAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 56 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hello Comrades,

Need one quick help. Some buddies of mine are travelling from Bangalore to Goa today in the evening. They intend to make a night drive to that place (yes yes, I now it is not advisable; but they are hell bent). Now, the route from Bangalore to Hubli will be the same i.e. our good old 6 lane GQ; can members please advise about transit from Hubli to Goa at night time in terms of safety and legal (forest department, police etc.) if any. The usual three contenders: Via Yellapur-Karwar, via Ramnagar-Mollem or via Belgaum-Chorla. I have driven all three of them but in broad daylight but have no idea how they will feel like at night time. Your quick guidance will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!!
Hart-BEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:13   #3007
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,086
Thanked: 9,801 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart-BEAT View Post
Hello Comrades,

Need one quick help. Some buddies of mine are travelling from Bangalore to Goa today in the evening. They intend to make a night drive to that place (yes yes, I now it is not advisable; but they are hell bent). Now, the route from Bangalore to Hubli will be the same i.e. our good old 6 lane GQ; can members please advise about transit from Hubli to Goa at night time in terms of safety and legal (forest department, police etc.) if any. The usual three contenders: Via Yellapur-Karwar, via Ramnagar-Mollem or via Belgaum-Chorla. I have driven all three of them but in broad daylight but have no idea how they will feel like at night time. Your quick guidance will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!!
Funkykar drove Ramnagar route beyond Midnight while I drove the same route next day. Reported very less to almost zero traffic soon after turn off from NH4.

I am sure the Karwar route will certainly have traffic in comparison to the Ramnagar route.

I have asked him to respond here.

I have driven Chorla but between 9 and 12 and again very less traffic. For me, its easier to drive in Ghats at night as thats my personal preference.

None of routes will have any difficulties when it comes to permission to drive by the Forest authorities.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd April 2015 at 11:14.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:31   #3008
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Yes, I drove the Ramnagar route pretty late and saw too little traffic. So less that you will feel its your own. Have done Karwar route many times in past and surely would be more traffic. I surely would be recommending Ramnagar route. As Parag says, eateries can be an issue on this route.

Last edited by funkykar : 2nd April 2015 at 11:59.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:10   #3009
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart-BEAT View Post
Hello Comrades,

Need one quick help. Some buddies of mine are travelling from Bangalore to Goa today in the evening. They intend to make a night drive to that place (yes yes, I now it is not advisable; but they are hell bent). Now, the route from Bangalore to Hubli will be the same i.e. our good old 6 lane GQ; can members please advise about transit from Hubli to Goa at night time in terms of safety and legal (forest department, police etc.) if any. The usual three contenders: Via Yellapur-Karwar, via Ramnagar-Mollem or via Belgaum-Chorla. I have driven all three of them but in broad daylight but have no idea how they will feel like at night time. Your quick guidance will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!!
The best route would be Yellapura-Karwar which will have heavy bus traffic at night compared with the other two which will be lonely
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:27   #3010
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Goa

I had travelled yesterday from karwar to Bangalore. The shortest route for this route, as everyone knows is Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur - Haveri - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. I must tell you the road conditions are fabulous except for 2-3 kms within bankapura town. Ankola - Yellapur is a freshly laid road of the NH 63 Stretch (Hubli - Karwar Road) which is in very good condition including the short ghat section. The Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur section of the state highway is also in very good shape though it is a single carriageway. It took almost about 85 minutes to complete this stretch of about 69 odd kms, the drive through the forest roads that is winding, is a pleasure to drive. New roads are being laid inside Bankapura town which forces one to drive on mud roads for about 2-3 kms, but that is worthwhile considering the distance and time saved. We could do this section in about 3 hours and 30 minutes for a distance of 175 kms with a 10 minute break. The Bankpura to Bangalore stretch on NH 4 is a zip, as everyone knows. We could do this in about 5 hours flat that included a 30 minute break for petrol and food. There is a HP Petrol Bunk in Sira which is approachable from the main highway, as it would involve minimum time loss. Strongly recommend this route for those going to Goa especially, south goa based resorts etc.,
karanp23 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:40   #3011
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The best route would be Yellapura-Karwar which will have heavy bus traffic at night compared with the other two which will be lonely
I agree, having travelled on April 1, 2015, the roads on this stretch is silk and smooth which would be a plus while driving in the nights. The traffic is moderate with more trucks whom I always find disciplined in driving.
karanp23 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:38   #3012
BHPian
 
Travelator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 92
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Update:
Did Bangalore to Goa via Hubli- Ramnagar-Mollem-Colva yesterday. Thanks to paragsachania for the confidence building update on this route.
Barely any traffic on this route until one reaches Goa. Covered the stretch maintaining a decent timing of 2.5 hrs with a few short stops at railway crossings (3 of them) and a couple of "baby needs" stops. Road condition is pristine barring around 30 kms before entering Goa border, where speeds beyond 60 might require special steering skills to avoid the sudden potholes. Another notable thing is that you might get rich by selling all the toll tokens between Bangalore and Goa as scrap
Travelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 23:30   #3013
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I did Bangalore to Goa again in Jan 2014. I took the following route:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Devangiri - Haveri - Hubli - Ramnagar - Panjim.

I am enclosing below a video on the descent to Goa after crossing Karnataka Border. I hope you like the video and find it informative. I will soon be posting a detailed video on the drive from Hubli to Bangalore.

rohittk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 11:13   #3014
BHPian
 
s.prashanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanp23 View Post
I had travelled yesterday from karwar to Bangalore. The shortest route for this route, as everyone knows is Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur - Haveri - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. I must tell you the road conditions are fabulous except for 2-3 kms within bankapura town. Ankola - Yellapur is a freshly laid road of the NH 63 Stretch (Hubli - Karwar Road) which is in very good condition including the short ghat section. The Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur section of the state highway is also in very good shape though it is a single carriageway. It took almost about 85 minutes to complete this stretch of about 69 odd kms, the drive through the forest roads that is winding, is a pleasure to drive. New roads are being laid inside Bankapura town which forces one to drive on mud roads for about 2-3 kms, but that is worthwhile considering the distance and time saved. We could do this section in about 3 hours and 30 minutes for a distance of 175 kms with a 10 minute break. The Bankpura to Bangalore stretch on NH 4 is a zip, as everyone knows. We could do this in about 5 hours flat that included a 30 minute break for petrol and food. There is a HP Petrol Bunk in Sira which is approachable from the main highway, as it would involve minimum time loss. Strongly recommend this route for those going to Goa especially, south goa based resorts etc.,
Karan thanks for the route info, i wil be driving a Hybrid Camry, is it ok on this route. Last year I did take this route with my elantra and found overtaking was very difficult, as the roads were very narrow
s.prashanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 02:23   #3015
BHPian
 
fast_elegance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 327
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Goa.

Thanks to mpksuhas, ampere, paragsachania and others for all the help and suggestions.

The route taken was as below for both to and fro journey.
Route: NICE road - NH 4- Hubli - Ramnagar - Mollem - Ponda - Panjim - Candolim

Good roads all the way. The stretch from Ramnagar till the Karnataka border is very rough and patchy. As soon as you cross over to Goa, the road turns smooth and pleasant almost magically.

On the return, took the NH4A bypass from Panjim as I missed the turn towards Ponda. The construction work to build the bypass or road widening is in progress with lot of deviations and most parts are yet to be tarred. The entire bypass was very dusty.

Accommodation in Candolim was excellent, thanks to mpksuhas for providing the details.

Places visited:
1. Candolim beach
2. Aguada Fort
3. Dolphin watch boat ride
4. Baga Beach
5. Saturday night Flea Market
6. DB Road - Mandovi river walk way (opposite Panjim market area)
7. Fontainhas
8. Sinquerim Beach
9. Calangute Beach
10. Local shopping

Bonus: Got to see Rohit Shetty shooting for his next movie Dilwale near the Panjim Market area. A car chase scene with Rohit Shetty himself doing some drifting in a overly done BMW at the square.

Already, thinking of another trip to Goa . I guess you can never have enough of Goa.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-picmonkey-collage11.jpg  

fast_elegance is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2185 21st October 2017 08:20
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks