Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 20:37   #3271
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,566 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Hi Friends,

I am planning for a Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore trip on 22nd Oct 2015 and back on 25th Oct 2015. Planning to start from home at 4am. Please suggest the best route I need to take for onward and return journey. I ll be staying in Palolem. I ll be the only driver.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Palolem is south Goa. So you need to take Bangalore - Davanagere - Haveri - Bankapura - Mungod - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar - Palolem.

Kamat at Ranebennur for Breakfast and CCD/Kamat at Ankola for any other breaks if you get delayed.

This is the most suitable route considering your destination.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 13:14   #3272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Palolem is south Goa. So you need to take Bangalore - Davanagere - Haveri - Bankapura - Mungod - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar - Palolem.

Kamat at Ranebennur for Breakfast and CCD/Kamat at Ankola for any other breaks if you get delayed.

This is the most suitable route considering your destination.

Thanks paragsachania. One more question. How are the roads from haveri till goa border?
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 14:00   #3273
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,566 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Thanks paragsachania. One more question. How are the roads from haveri till goa border?
You are getting confused. The bad roads reported are for 2 totally different options

1. Bangalore Haveri Hubli Bypass Alnavar Ramnagar Mollem Goa (In this 30 odd kms before one enters Goa border are bad to very bad).

2. Bangalore Haveri Bankapura Mungod Yellapura Karwar Goa (In this, its usual NH4 with excellent roads till Bankapura which will be around 350 kms from Bangalore. Then its single lane road from Bankapura to Mungod to Yellapura with good surface. Then you join NH63 at Yellapura after which its usual wide NH road without a median of which bits and pieces around curves has rough surfaces. Once you hit NH17 Junction just before Ankola, you turn right and drive all the way to Goa on good roads again).

Your apprehension about Bad roads should be least unless you are taking NH4A(Via Ramnagar- Mollem).

Have a safe trip.

If needed, flip back only the last 3 pages and you'll get all info that you need on all routes to Goa from Bangalore ☺.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:36   #3274
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Thanks paragsachania. I will use this route.
All best for today's travel, please update the route condition tonight if possible as I am traveling tomorrow
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:51   #3275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Bangalore - Goa.... which route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
All best for today's travel, please update the route condition tonight if possible as I am traveling tomorrow

Hi,

This route is very good. I am in Karwar on my way to Palolem as i reply now. There is a bad stretch of about 5 to 10kms on NH63 when u descend down towards Ankola. Apart from this the route is good.. You can safely take this route.

Thanks
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 17:21   #3276
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,566 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Hi,

This route is very good. I am in Karwar on my way to Palolem as i reply now. There is a bad stretch of about 5 to 10kms on NH63 when u descend down towards Ankola. Apart from this the route is good.. You can safely take this route.

Thanks
So its almost same conditon(NH63) as it was few weeks before. Mainly the roads are bas around curves and like you mention, where one descends and this is due to rains washing away the top surface of the roads.

Otherwise, I hope rest of it was all good. No wonder this option via Mungod is also a time saver against driving up north to Hubli and descending down to Yellapura that you can always approach from Bankapura.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:23   #3277
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Just back from Goa. Here are few observations / tips for the people planning on a quick journey. I took the Bangalore-Dharwad-Anmod-Ponda-Panjim route.
1) The route till Dharwad is excellent (NH4) though I did notice that NH4 tarmac is strangely repaired about 20 kms before HUbli. I thought something wrong with the wheels but there are two clear grooves and if you happen to move out of these grooves the feeling comes through the steering wheel.
2) Dharwad to Anmod is very good since it is a toll road but single. Tarmac is excellent but there are railway crossings and you might have to wait a while if the rail gate is closed.
3) Anmod to Goa border is a shining example of the ignorance of the republic of Karnataka and shows that a simple extension of the toll road beyond Anmod upto the Goa border would do the trick. The toll could be 75 from the 55 charged one way , but I am ready to pay if the tarmac is good. This is a patch of around 20 kms straight out of hell. Please drive carefully as some potholes just cannot be avoided and you will have to pay a heavy price for negligence.
4) Once in Goa the roads transform and are just superb. Smooth tarmac and very well maintained. You can cover up some time lost from Anmod to Goa border till Ponda. You have to cough up Rs 250 for a regular car for entry in Goa. But its worth every penny.
5) Generally very easy to get around in Goa as the road signs are in good shape and the road work is being done aggressively.
6) If you are going to North Goa or Panjim then there is a bit of confusion before entering Old Goa. I followed the road and it abruptly ended and a road under construction with some vehicles going on it is seen. This is a bypass to the narrow Old Goa road but work in progress. Cabbies ply this road and so did I but since its new it does not show up on the maps and it can get confusing. So stick to the road and do not follow signs to Raibandar/Ribandar bypass. Once done this road will reduce the commute time to NH-17 from Ponda by at least 15-20 mins.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:04   #3278
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: Once
Talking re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Aniketh
Thanks for all yours, parag's and others inputs. I am glad to tell you that our trip went very well & safe and each and every detail shared here are so real. We started to realize the strength of team-bhp. Amazing guys . I am going to post my detailed trip details in the weekend. But wanted to thank you guys ASAP, really it helped me a lot.

As planned I started on 18th Oct and took left on nelamangana to go on Blore-Mlore highway. Super good roads. Passed thru Yediyur>Kunigal>CRPatna>Arsikere>

We stopped for breakfast at outskirts of Arsikere after crossing Arsikere. There was a NEW decent hotel opened "PV" written in "PK" style. He even offered free mineral water as part of promotional campaign I guess.

Bhadravathi>Shimoga>Sagar>Talaguppa>Jog falls. Sagar to Jog had some patchy roads and deadly curves but manageable. Certainly slows you down.

I started in the morning 5am from Kanakapura road and reached jog falls by 12:30pm Had lunch at Kamat, Honnavar. Awesome freshly made jawari rotis here in veg thali. Had problem at Honnavar as they were diverting traffic going to Karwar through a diversion and I was little tensed of being lost. Lost a bit of time there. But not to worry as that was only for that day due to some gas truck overturned and they were worried about travellers safety.

Drove comfortable & leisurely and reached Karwar by 6:15pm. Just before Karwar lot of curves and turns which slows you down. We also saw some 4 lane development is going on there.

Had awesome Prawns fry and Pomfret fish masala and tawa fry @ AMRUT, Karwar. Guys seriosuly - if you are a non-vegetarian you can't miss this. Pls make it a point to eat here. It's a happening place but don't expect the kind of courtesy or treatment you get in Cities like Bangalore. But the food taste is simply superb
Next day we drove from Karwar to Club Mahindra, VARCA Beach. Had to pay Rs.250 before entering GOA but after seeing roads of GOA I felt every paisa was worth of it. Very neatly maintained roads.
While coming back I drove from Agonda to Gokarna to Murudeshwar. In this trip we stopped at Fishland in Kumta and had amazing Prawns Fry, Pomfret masala and seer fish fry. Too good. Five of us ate 3 plates of prawns fry, 1 medium pomfret fish and 6 seer fish pieces. Just imagine how much we would have liked the food there . After Murudeshwar started back in same route to Blore via Honnavar, Jog, sagar, shimoga, bhadravathi, arsikere, CR Patna, Kunigal, Yediyur, Blore.
Started from Murudeshwar at 4:30pm and reached Blore by 2:15am
I know I should have avoided jog in my return but just got lazy and had to pay for it to work more through deadly curves in dawn. Except Jog stretch and barring few patchy roads here and there the overall route was too good. More importantly we had an amazing safe trip.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th October 2015 at 12:47.
racegurram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 12:38   #3279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So its almost same conditon(NH63) as it was few weeks before. Mainly the roads are bas around curves and like you mention, where one descends and this is due to rains washing away the top surface of the roads.

Otherwise, I hope rest of it was all good. No wonder this option via Mungod is also a time saver against driving up north to Hubli and descending down to Yellapura that you can always approach from Bankapura.

Thanks parag for your help. It was a good, stress free drive. Now im planning to drive back to Bangalore from Goa tomorrow.

I was thinking to take Goa->karwar->joida->dandeli->haliyal->hubli->bangalore route. Wanted to drive through dandeli and enjoy some scenery. Wanted to know how the road conditions will be in this route.

Thanks in advance
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 12:49   #3280
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 211
Thanked: 170 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Thanks parag for your help. It was a good, stress free drive. Now im planning to drive back to Bangalore from Goa tomorrow.

I was thinking to take Goa->karwar->joida->dandeli->haliyal->hubli->bangalore route. Wanted to drive through dandeli and enjoy some scenery. Wanted to know how the road conditions will be in this route.

Thanks in advance
We did Bangalore - Haliyala - Dandeli - Joida - Karawar last week. Roads are good through out. Very scenic drive and am sure you will enjoy. We did Karawar - Ankola - Yellapura - Mungod - Shiggoan - NH4 in the return journey and the road between Ankola to Yellapura is really bad in patches. Added to that slow moving trucks on this stretch was pain too. But, drive through Yellapur - Mungod - Shiggaon was awesome.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 12:59   #3281
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,262
Thanked: 10,566 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Thanks parag for your help. It was a good, stress free drive. Now im planning to drive back to Bangalore from Goa tomorrow.

I was thinking to take Goa->karwar->joida->dandeli->haliyal->hubli->bangalore route. Wanted to drive through dandeli and enjoy some scenery. Wanted to know how the road conditions will be in this route.

Thanks in advance
Not sure of current conditons but I drove exactly 1 year before on the same circuit via Sadashivgadh and roads were just fantastic.

I vaguely remember someone here on the forum also posting recent updates, mostly positive.

So, you can return via this super scenic route.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 13:20   #3282
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
We did Bangalore - Haliyala - Dandeli - Joida - Karawar last week. Roads are good through out. Very scenic drive and am sure you will enjoy. We did Karawar - Ankola - Yellapura - Mungod - Shiggoan - NH4 in the return journey and the road between Ankola to Yellapura is really bad in patches. Added to that slow moving trucks on this stretch was pain too. But, drive through Yellapur - Mungod - Shiggaon was awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure of current conditons but I drove exactly 1 year before on the same circuit via Sadashivgadh and roads were just fantastic.

I vaguely remember someone here on the forum also posting recent updates, mostly positive.

So, you can return via this super scenic route.

Thanks guys. Im starting from canacona at noon tomorrow and i think it ll take about 5hrs to reach hubli via dandeli. Is there any good place on the way for lunch? Then on its NH4 till Bangalore.


Cheers
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 15:40   #3283
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
3) Anmod to Goa border is a shining example of the ignorance of the republic of Karnataka and shows that a simple extension of the toll road beyond Anmod upto the Goa border would do the trick. The toll could be 75 from the 55 charged one way , but I am ready to pay if the tarmac is good. This is a patch of around 20 kms straight out of hell. Please drive carefully as some potholes just cannot be avoided and you will have to pay a heavy price for negligence.
4) Once in Goa the roads transform and are just superb. Smooth tarmac and very well maintained. You can cover up some time lost from Anmod to Goa border till Ponda. You have to cough up Rs 250 for a regular car for entry in Goa. But its worth every penny.
+1000
Alnavar to Anmod is bad and Anmod to Goa border is just horror story. Avoid this route at all costs. Just cross Goa border and you will wonder how smooth the roads are and what the **** Karnataka government is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegurram View Post
Had awesome Prawns fry and Pomfret fish masala and tawa fry @ AMRUT, Karwar. Guys seriosuly - if you are a non-vegetarian you can't miss this. Pls make it a point to eat here. It's a happening place but don't expect the kind of courtesy or treatment you get in Cities like Bangalore. But the food taste is simply superb
I would suggest Swetha Lunch Home over Amrut. Had my lunch there yesterday on my return trip. We were blown away by the taste of seafood, especially fish curries. Its a small place, staff are courteous and owner himself checks on every table and politely asks if the food is good etc.
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 09:55   #3284
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
We did Bangalore - Haliyala - Dandeli - Joida - Karawar last week. Roads are good through out. Very scenic drive and am sure you will enjoy. We did Karawar - Ankola - Yellapura - Mungod - Shiggoan - NH4 in the return journey and the road between Ankola to Yellapura is really bad in patches. Added to that slow moving trucks on this stretch was pain too. But, drive through Yellapur - Mungod - Shiggaon was awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure of current conditons but I drove exactly 1 year before on the same circuit via Sadashivgadh and roads were just fantastic.

I vaguely remember someone here on the forum also posting recent updates, mostly positive.

So, you can return via this super scenic route.

Thanks paragsachania and indian. I took karwar-dandeli-haliyal route and it was very scenic. Had lunch at Hotel Laxman palace just outside haliyal. Decent food. Then we moved on the dharwad road and just as it intersects with NH4, there is a kuccha road which joins NH4. Took that and reached bangalore by midnight. Heavy traffic once we crossed tumkur and it became even heavier once the Hassan highway intersects with NH4. But all in all it was a good scenic drive. Thanks a ton.
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 11:35   #3285
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Thanks to paragsachania for his very clear road directions to Goa via the Bankapur-Yellapur-Mundgod-Karwar route. We were there over the weekend and having seen the pathetic Anmod route earlier this year, have to say that this route is the best route, especially for South Goa. Took us exactly 10 hours from Bangalore to Colva and return journey also the same (took an hour for food breaks).

We stopped at Athithya Veg near Hiriyur for breakfast and Kamat at Ankola for lunch. 15-20 km stretch of the roads on the Yellapur route are slightly in bad shape and bumpy, but no major potholes and you can still drive at 80+ comfortably. The rest of the route is a breeze. The Goa roads are very good, but narrow and hence your speed will reduce after crossing the border.

On the return journey we stopped at Udupi Cafe, Karwar for breakfast and Kamat Upachar before Rannebennur for lunch.

The total toll (one way) works out to be 593 (including the Nelamangala flyover and the Goa entry toll of 250).
Safedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2243 7th December 2017 16:56
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks