Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2016, 20:37   #3571
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 267
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure if you can leave Goa before 9 but if you leave anywhere after 10am, Davanagere will be too early and only Hubli-Haveri section makes sense with just Kamat near Varur as an ideal option (16 kms after the Bypass exit toll booth).
Did you mean Davanagere would be too late?
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 20:43   #3572
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,944
Thanked: 9,254 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Did you mean Davanagere would be too late?
Exactly so. I somehow typed "early" instead of "late" . Why I say this is because I have mostly left from Goa only after 10:00AM and between 13:00 & 14:00 I am anywhere between Hubli and Haveri and always end up with lunch at Kamat.

Davanagere will be another 2 hours from Hubli and that means you need to leave from Goa around 09:00 for sure, well I would say between 08:00/08:30 would be perfect.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th August 2016 at 20:45.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 21:16   #3573
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If your taste buds are still craving for Sea food while return, Karwar is a good option - Shweta Lunch Home along with another one (I forgot) is a popular one.
The best in Karwar is Amrut. But I think Karwar is too early for a break.

Another option:
Start late to be in Karwar by lunch. Visit Gokarna and then drive to Hubli for an overnight stay. Start the next day for Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It all depends on the preference and how the taste buds react to each one of us isn't it .
Amrut I meant is only for sea food. Not veggies. I have myself not entered this place in spite of being around that region for 10+ years!

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2016 at 21:21.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 21:19   #3574
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,944
Thanked: 9,254 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best in Karwar is Amrut. But I think Karwar is too early for a break.
It all depends on the preference and how the taste buds react to each one of us isn't it .

I have only been to Shweta Lunch home thrice till now only after a few friends recommended it for "Sea Food" and by all aspects, it was an wonderful experience. Vegetarians might not like the aroma here and hence with family (who are all 100% Vegetarian), I always preferred Kamat at Ankola or the one after Hubli.

Amrut next time for sure and I come back here and share my experience with "Sea food" .

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th August 2016 at 21:22.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 08:42   #3575
Newbie
 
DAART's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi All

I am planning to visit Goa this long weekend. Based on the route queries answered on this thread I am planning to take either Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod or Belgaum-Amboli route. I am skeptical of former based on current road conditions. Based on onward plan to return either through traditional Karwar-Ankola- Hubli or Amboli-Belgaum.

Main agenda of drive is to enjoy some rains through forest. Can someone please suggest on the Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod route.

Thanks
Arun
DAART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:14   #3576
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
I am planning to visit Goa this long weekend. Based on the route queries answered on this thread I am planning to take either Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod or Belgaum-Amboli route. I am skeptical of former based on current road conditions. Based on onward plan to return either through traditional Karwar-Ankola- Hubli or Amboli-Belgaum.
Where in Goa you plan to stay? If north, Amboli/Chorla should be ideal. Else look at Ankola/Anmod.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:14   #3577
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 228
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
Hi All

I am planning to visit Goa this long weekend. Based on the route queries answered on this thread I am planning to take either Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod or Belgaum-Amboli route. I am skeptical of former based on current road conditions. Based on onward plan to return either through traditional Karwar-Ankola- Hubli or Amboli-Belgaum.

Main agenda of drive is to enjoy some rains through forest. Can someone please suggest on the Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod route.

Thanks
Arun
Anmod route is in great shape, not a single issue. Took that route a week back and am really happy to say it is really worth it. You will not see the sea but the the mountains, forest and enjoy a good drive with less time compared to other routes.

Regards,
rajivtelang is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:16   #3578
Newbie
 
Crhysis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I just did the Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod route on the 6th. The road is fine. Few broken patches of road of a few metres here and there but nothing too bad. The worst stretch was just before Ponda where the old Highway connects to the new one and again in Merces just before it meets the Panjim - Margao Highway.

Spotted the speed cam near Davanagere as mentioned earlier in the thread. He was on the right side of the road behind some bushes just after the highway becomes a one way.

There was some heavy rain and fog which made visibility difficult on the ghats but all and all it was a good drive. Took me 8 hours 30 minutes from Frazer Town to Dona Paula.

Will be doing there same route back to Bangalore on the 10th and then again back to Goa on the 13th in case anyone wants me to keep an eye out for anything.
Crhysis is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:47   #3579
Newbie
 
DAART's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Where in Goa you plan to stay? If north, Amboli/Chorla should be ideal. Else look at Ankola/Anmod.
I will be staying in North Goa. Thanks ampere for the route suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Anmod route is in great shape, not a single issue. Took that route a week back and am really happy to say it is really worth it. You will not see the sea but the the mountains, forest and enjoy a good drive with less time compared to other routes.

Regards,
Thank you rajivtelang Anmod route is tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
I just did the Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod route on the 6th. The road is fine. Few broken patches of road of a few metres here and there but nothing too bad. The worst stretch was just before Ponda where the old Highway connects to the new one and again in Merces just before it meets the Panjim - Margao Highway.

Spotted the speed cam near Davanagere as mentioned earlier in the thread. He was on the right side of the road behind some bushes just after the highway becomes a one way.

There was some heavy rain and fog which made visibility difficult on the ghats but all and all it was a good drive. Took me 8 hours 30 minutes from Frazer Town to Dona Paula.

Will be doing there same route back to Bangalore on the 10th and then again back to Goa on the 13th in case anyone wants me to keep an eye out for anything.
Thank you Crhysis These updates surely helps. I will also try to keep this thread posted once I am back.


Mod Note: Please use multi-quote instead of responding separately. Also please use the Thanks button for thanking a post. Makes it cleaner.

Last edited by ampere : 8th August 2016 at 09:57.
DAART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 16:30   #3580
BHPian
 
MSAneesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 88
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And for south Goa I would suggest Hubli-Yellapur-Ankoka-Karwar. Its fast.
For Goa-Bangalore return, considering the below options. Which one is suggested for a weekday morning start from Varca beach?

Option1: Bandoli - Mollem- Anmod - Godholi - Dharwad bypass - Hubali - Tumkur - BLR
Option2: Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Bankapur and then NH4 (Ranebennur - Tumkur - BLR)
MSAneesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 16:42   #3581
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,944
Thanked: 9,254 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
For Goa-Bangalore return, considering the below options. Which one is suggested for a weekday morning start from Varca beach?

Option1: Bandoli - Mollem- Anmod - Godholi - Dharwad bypass - Hubali - Tumkur - BLR
Option2: Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Bankapur and then NH4 (Ranebennur - Tumkur - BLR)
Both are good. The first one will lead you out of Goa faster and that is about it. No traffic all the way till you hit NH4 at Dharwad for Bangalore.

On the other hand, with option 2, you need to drive on Goan roads (busy NH17 to be precise), then cross Karwar completely and only then things free up as you hit Ankola and then take left for Yellapur.

I have taken both these roads multiple times with onward and return through different routes.

With the first option remember that your first good location for lunch is only when you reach NH4 and that too after driving 42 kms after you Join NH4 at Kamat.

However, if you take the second option, you are more likely to dine at Kamat (attached to CCD and IOCL station) at Ankola before you spend the next 2.5 hours to hit NH4.

Hence, both the roads have pros and cons but I would say take the road that you have been comfortable so far unless you are okay to try a different route this time. The Yellapur - Mungod - Bankapura road also is in good shape that anyone including me has complained so far. It helps you reach NH4 by forking out after Yellapur allowing you to drive on stretches that see minimal traffic - Almost zero trucks, Rare buses and very less cars too!
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 21:38   #3582
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 245
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
Hi All

I am planning to visit Goa this long weekend. Based on the route queries answered on this thread I am planning to take either Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod or Belgaum-Amboli route. I am skeptical of former based on current road conditions. Based on onward plan to return either through traditional Karwar-Ankola- Hubli or Amboli-Belgaum.

Main agenda of drive is to enjoy some rains through forest. Can someone please suggest on the Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod route.

Thanks
Arun
Please note that Belgaum--Amboli for Bangalore--North Goa is a thing of the remote past before Chorla route was born in Jan 2013. We talked about it because someone wanted to do it here. It has rained madly in the areas near Belgaum. None knows the present condition of narrow roads like Kittur-Khanapur , MK Hubli--Khanapur or Khanapur--Jamboti though these are short 10-17 kms connecting routes. Heard that some bridges in Khanapur taluka region were submerged, not sure which ones. So,I would like others suggest the highway route which has wide 2 lanes all through i .e Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod ghat-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim-North Goa. This route is just as much the Chorla route, distance wise for North Goa.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 08:41   #3583
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,103
Thanked: 1,147 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
It has rained madly in the areas near Belgaum. None knows the present condition of narrow roads like Kittur-Khanapur , MK Hubli--Khanapur or Khanapur--Jamboti though these are short 10-17 kms connecting routes. Heard that some bridges in Khanapur taluka region were submerged, not sure which ones. So,I would like others suggest the highway route which has wide 2 lanes all through i .e Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod ghat-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim-North Goa.
I agree - unless you have very very recent updates about a particular section, strictly avoid all SH, local roads and 'shortcuts'. Last thing you want to have is a car full of irate kids and spouse AND facing local congestion and broken roads/bridges .

Also, keep checking Google Maps Traffic to see whether any 'suspect' section on your route is showing heavy traffic - that itself is a clear indication of trouble brewing.

Safe driving everyone - monsoon drives are lovely but (probably) statistically much higher in accidents, whether your fault or not!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 08:48   #3584
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,944
Thanked: 9,254 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
unless you have very very recent updates about a particular section, strictly avoid all SH, local roads and 'shortcuts'. Last thing you want to have is a car full of irate kids and spouse AND facing local congestion and broken roads/bridges .
Short cuts are roads less taken. That also means lesser updates unless one of us has been there & driven that we can get back and update the route conditions.

No 2 days are the same when it comes to road conditions in Western Ghats as we have seen. So a latest update is the most reliable update.

Quote:
Also, keep checking Google Maps Traffic to see whether any 'suspect' section on your route is showing heavy traffic - that itself is a clear indication of trouble brewing.
Always a very good thing to do. Traffic updates on Googlemaps has helped so much. A very rare case that I have left location A and not assessed the traffic on the route.

Sample sections for potential Jams - Khandala Ghats towards Pune from Mumbai, Expressway Toll Plaza, Khambhatki Ghats, JAS toll and NBTL tolls at Bangalore, Shantigrama toll near Hassan, Shiradi ghats, Bangalore-Mysore "Highway" - These are some of the most famous bottlenecks one can think of during weekends.

As for me, there is no better update than the one coming from someone who has driven recently.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 17:59   #3585
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I will be doing a trip to South goa( Patnem beach) from Bangalore ( Indiranagar) tomorrow morning. I am planning to start at 4:00am and would like to reach before sunset as full family will be there with small baby.

I am not sure of which route to take for onward jounery ( on 13th August) and return jouney on Monday ( 15th August). Any suggestions are welcome.

I have done a lot of trips from Pune when i have always taken the chorla route. This will be the first time from Bangalore.
shivendra2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2147 21st August 2017 11:52
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks