Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 01:21   #796
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,427
Thanked: 6,375 Times
Default

Hey guys, am just back from Goa. HORRIBLE "to" Goa trip and a good "from" Goa drive! Took Mangalore - Udupi - Ankola - Yellapur - Ramnagar - Calingute while going and Calingute - Mapusa - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Hubli - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. Will have a detailed travelogue posted by weekend with pics.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 01:25   #797
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Original plan was
Bangalore-Shimoga-Ankola-Karwar-GOA.
Actual was. 100 KM extra with some really bad patch becos of the Mining truck.
Bangalore-Shimoga-Ankola-Yellapur-Dandeli-Ramnagar-Molem-Goa.

From Dandeli there was a route which join to Dandelli too.
The ramnagar-Molem-Goa does not exist as a route since a long time.It has been discussed on this thread earlier as well.NH4A(Belgaum-Londa-Molem-Panjim) to Goa is doomed and is just not recommended at all.Even the mining trucks cannot traverse this route

Belgaum-Amboli-Panjim is a good route.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 13:09   #798
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 62
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I drove from Hyderabad to Goa on the 27th and was in Goa till the 1st morning. Then went to my hometown Kumta on 1st .. On 3rd most of the roads near Koppal, Raichur had washed away, so decided to drive to Bangalore.. Drove thru Honnavar, jog, Shimoga and Tumkur. Roads narrower on the Gersoppa ghats.Small patches here and there.. But still managed to drive within 8.5hours and I had heavy rains from Kumta to Shimoga.
Now I am flying to Hyderabad this evening. Leaving my car at Bangalore for some days
nityanand.s.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 15:05   #799
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

@Swiftnfurious, How's the condition of the Haveri-davengere-chitradurga part? What's the distance from amboli to belgaum and is this portion of the road wide.
@ranjitp! any idea if this amboli changad belgaum section is better than amboli-ajra-tawandi ghat section? big difference or not so much?
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 16:13   #800
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,427
Thanked: 6,375 Times
Default

@deutscheafrikar - Haveri - Davengere - Chitradurga is pretty ok from my opinion. I finished the entire 550 kms from Belgaum to Bangalore in 8.5 hours with a 30 min break. Amboli to Belgaum is also quite decent - you may hv bad stretches for around 10 kms max [when i say bad roads, my swift's under body didn't scrape at all]. I have not travelled the Shimoga route, but if I have to travel to Goa next time, I will take the same route via Belgaum - Amboli.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 23:27   #801
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
@Swiftnfurious, How's the condition of the Haveri-davengere-chitradurga part? What's the distance from amboli to belgaum and is this portion of the road wide.
@ranjitp! any idea if this amboli changad belgaum section is better than amboli-ajra-tawandi ghat section? big difference or not so much?
Hi DF,I guess you meant Chandgad.Belgaum to Amboli via Chandgad is around 75kms.This is the Belgaum-Sawantwadi Road.

Distance wise:

Tavandi Ghat to Belgaum turn off for Belgaum Sawantwadi road is approx 85kms.Belgaum-Amboli is around 75kms.Total of 160kms.

Tavandi-Amboli via Nipani-Uttur-Ajra is approx 75kms.

I would still recco the Nipani route vis-a-vis the Belgaum-Chandgad,its too much of a round about route,an extra distance of almost close to 70-80kms(Tavandi-Belgaum-Amboli forms a perfect equilateral triangle).For people coming from Blore/Hubli side the Belgaum-Chandgad route is reccomended,not for the Mumbai/Pune people,unless there is a compulsion to visit Belgaum or the call for exploring a new route.The Nipani route is not a bad route,a friend travelled the same route and he says its perfectly ok except for a 10kms stretch which is rough tarmac not potholed.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:11   #802
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Yes Ranjitp1, You're correct. I was only exploring the options. I think it's better to go the nipani-ajra route than the belgaum ajra route. Thanks
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 11:24   #803
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Wow! Thanks! This is good news. I am planning on a trip to coastal maharastra in two weeks. Will take the Blr-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Malvan route. Planning to spend the whole week along the west coast and then another week in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hey guys, am just back from Goa. HORRIBLE "to" Goa trip and a good "from" Goa drive! Took Mangalore - Udupi - Ankola - Yellapur - Ramnagar - Calingute while going and Calingute - Mapusa - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Hubli - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. Will have a detailed travelogue posted by weekend with pics.
litesaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 17:11   #804
BHPian
 
arin_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 596
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The ramnagar-Molem-Goa does not exist as a route since a long time.It has been discussed on this thread earlier as well.NH4A(Belgaum-Londa-Molem-Panjim) to Goa is doomed and is just not recommended at all.Even the mining trucks cannot traverse this route

Belgaum-Amboli-Panjim is a good route.
We didnt had any choice buddy. We was stuck at Ankola due to the road blockage. Then we took the diversion towards Yellapur. Till Ramnagar it was fine with some bad pathces. But after that around 20-30 KM was really horrible due to the mining truck...
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 23:10   #805
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
We didnt had any choice buddy. We was stuck at Ankola due to the road blockage. Then we took the diversion towards Yellapur. Till Ramnagar it was fine with some bad pathces. But after that around 20-30 KM was really horrible due to the mining truck...
haha I can empathise with you cos I did the same route from Belgaum to Panjim and horrible is an understatement,disappearing light,well-sized craeters,the last thing is to have a car breakdown or a flat tyre there..phew
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 22:32   #806
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: Once
Default

Hi folks,

I have planned my road trip on this route Bangalore-Goa. I will be rolling out on Wednesday night next week that's the 14th of Oct. I know the routes but I'd like to know from someone who has travelled on this route within the past week or so.

I suppose the shimoga and yellapur routes are ruled out. how about sawantwadi route?

Because as we know that there have been torrential rains lately. And after reading so many experiences and opinions and suggestions from various people i am a bit confused.

Thanks,
Agastya
Agastya_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 02:09   #807
BHPian
 
techn0l0gist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ponda, Goa
Posts: 333
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Anyone know the current condition of the Bangalore - Goa route via Kittur ? Would like to know if its drivable or not ! Normally It would take 9 hours non stop , how much does it take these days with the bad roads?

I've stopped my BLR-GOA-BLR weekend drives since the roads got bad after the rains and have been traveling by flight so I'm clueless !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 9th October 2009 at 02:11.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 12:10   #808
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agastya_Drifter View Post
Hi folks,

I have planned my road trip on this route Bangalore-Goa. I will be rolling out on Wednesday night next week that's the 14th of Oct. I know the routes but I'd like to know from someone who has travelled on this route within the past week or so.

I suppose the shimoga and yellapur routes are ruled out. how about sawantwadi route?

Because as we know that there have been torrential rains lately. And after reading so many experiences and opinions and suggestions from various people i am a bit confused.

Thanks,
Agastya
the best route for you in the given conditions would be BLR-HUBLI-BELGAUM-AMBOLI-SAWANTWADI-PANJIM.Roads are good from Belgaum to Sawantwadi,it is a distance of around 75kms.I saw a post from you on a diff thread that you are contemplating taking the Londa-Ponda route,the road does not exist anymore fr a stretch of 25kms between Londa & Molem.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 14:33   #809
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: Once
Default

thanks Ranjit. Your note should give me a lot of courage now. how about the stretch between chitradurga and belgaum, any idea if it is really bad?
Agastya_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 14:42   #810
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Please stick to Bangalore - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Belagavi (Belgaum) - Amboli - Sawantwadi - your destination in Goa.

I have been travelling regularly on NH4 since 2007 and the Chitradurga to Haveri stretch has changed only very slightly after the recent rains. Just ensure you don't attempt to set speed / time records on the bad patches.

Last edited by hrag : 9th October 2009 at 14:53.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2184 20th October 2017 15:49
Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa : Route Queries babupaul Route / Travel Queries 4 28th April 2016 08:15
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks