Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th October 2009, 11:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
Apologies in advance for a very elementary question - but could anyone please tell me where to buy good, updated, road maps (showing SHs and NHs) from?

Thanks in advance!

Shutterbugger
Any road map will show you the NHs & SHs. It is the interior roads which needs to be shown in detail. Many in this forum rely on district roads and other interior roads to get to their destinations and they cannot find it on their maps. Maybe this is one of the reason that this forum is so popular

That said, you can try TTK or Eicher road maps. I have personally used the TTK maps and they are pretty much informative. I do not know about the Eicher maps. They are available in all major book stores like Sapna, Gangarams, Crossword, Landmark etc.

EDIT: You can even try Google maps and Map My India online. They have good detail on them.

OT: Btw, this is my 200th post

Last edited by addyhemmige : 9th October 2009 at 11:32. Reason: Added more info
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 11:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
That said, you can try TTK or Eicher road maps.
Absolutely. TTK is probably better off in detail than many others available. At least my experience on Himachal roads indicates that.
Ashpillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Before travel, I do google maps and then take a printout. I used to use Eicher and local Karnataka roadmap. But now I have stopped and its Google all the way. Their get directions feature is also very useful.

Not sure how google maps for cell phones works? Although I too have it, but the GPRS rates escalate when you travel across states. The tariff is not the same.

Hope this helps.
Google maps for cell phone do work and if the phone has GPS phone then its really the best if one has unlimited GPRS plans.

Other freeware which I am using is mgmaps. You can download any maps (google/yahoo india, etc) and use them with this applciation. No GPRS costs once these are downloaded. There are tools on the website which allow you to select a area and download maps to the greatest details in whichever format (maps/ hybrid) you want. I have already been using this and is the best I found for India.
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 16:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Google maps for cell phone do work and if the phone has GPS phone then its really the best if one has unlimited GPRS plans.

Other freeware which I am using is mgmaps. You can download any maps (google/yahoo india, etc) and use them with this applciation. No GPRS costs once these are downloaded. There are tools on the website which allow you to select a area and download maps to the greatest details in whichever format (maps/ hybrid) you want. I have already been using this and is the best I found for India.
Sorry to ask how does google maps work with GPS?
I thought for GPS, its automatically through the cell phone's own GPS and no internet (GPRS) requirement. For google maps I presume, all you need s only internet (GPRS)

Meanwhile I also checked this Mapmyindia GPS gadgets. They come in the range of 10-15K!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 16:52   #20
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Any road map will show you the NHs & SHs. It is the interior roads which needs to be shown in detail. Many in this forum rely on district roads and other interior roads to get to their destinations and they cannot find it on their maps. Maybe this is one of the reason that this forum is so popular

That said, you can try TTK or Eicher road maps. I have personally used the TTK maps and they are pretty much informative. I do not know about the Eicher maps. They are available in all major book stores like Sapna, Gangarams, Crossword, Landmark etc.

EDIT: You can even try Google maps and Map My India online. They have good detail on them.

OT: Btw, this is my 200th post
Thanks Addyhemmige...will arm myself with TTK then!

And congratulations on bringing up the double hundred!
Shutterbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 17:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
Thanks Addyhemmige...will arm myself with TTK then!

And congratulations on bringing up the double hundred!

Thanks!!!

Sorry, the book store names I have suggested are all in Bangalore. Didn't realise that you are in Ahmedabad
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 22:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry to ask how does google maps work with GPS?
I thought for GPS, its automatically through the cell phone's own GPS and no internet (GPRS) requirement. For google maps I presume, all you need s only internet (GPRS)

Meanwhile I also checked this Mapmyindia GPS gadgets. They come in the range of 10-15K!
GPS has 2 components to it 1 is hardware and other is software. When we say a phone has GPS, in India atleast, it means only hardware. I am not aware if any of the OEMs provide GPS/navigation software.

Hardware - this can be thought of as a GPS antenna communicating to satellites and locating its position. There are no charges whatsoever to get your location from these satellites worldwide!

But merely locating yourself is only half the story. You only know your lat and long positions. Here comes the role of software:

The software part can be thought of having 3 main components (there are other features as well like voice based navigation, but not in freewares).
1. Maps: The map we see on typical map websites consists of map tiles. These are small files covering a small area. Normally the file name is such that one can determine the lat /long position of that tile.

2. Location: GPS softwares get the lat/ long position from the GPS hardware. Based on this it determines the map to be displayed and also overlays the current position of the device on it. There are other inaccurate methods of determinsing the location based on mobile tower locations being used by mobile and wifi points being used by the mobile.

3. Routing/Navigation: This part of the software determines the path based on source and destination and overlays that path on the map.

Without software you just know your digital position. You know where you are
With 1 you are just replacing a paper map with a digital one. You know what all is present.
With 1 and 2 you are replacing a paper map with a digital one and overlaying your digital position on the digital map. You know what all is there and where you are in this.
With 1,2 and 3 you are replacing a paper map with digital one, overlaying your digital position on the digital map and also overlaying how and where you want to go on the digital map. You know what all is there, where you are in this and where and how you want to go somewhere.

Now to your actual question

Google maps for mobile and other freewares are GPS softwares and here is where it needs GPRS.

Maps: Google Maps for mobile needs GPRS to download the map tiles. These are downloaded as and when we start browsing the maps. Once the maps are downloaded they are cached on the phone. You can cache the area you want by browsing the map but this is totally manual, unreliable and tiresome even for a small town.
This is where mgmaps comes to rescue. It provides a utility to download maps of a user selected area for multiple zoom levels. These can be downloaded using a PC and stored on the mobiles' internal/external memory. The software has the capability to use these downloaded maps in pretty much the same way as google maps uses the downloaded tiles.

Location: Google maps for mobile supports both GPS and GPRS to find location. In phones which do not have GPS or if GPS is disabled in google maps for mobile, location is determined based on location of mobile towers which is fairly inaccurate. It does not support wifi based location.
mgmaps does not support GPRS /wifi based location. It supports only GPS based location.

Routing/navigation: Google maps has the capability to determine the route even for indian roads. It perfectly updates the location on my phone (HTC Touch Diamond) while moving at regular and smaller intervals.
mgmaps on the other hand needs GPRS to determine the route. Once it has the route, there is no need of GPRS. While moving it does not update the location as frequently as google maps and this is another drawback if there are too many turns+intersections on the route.

This is very long answer to your question but I thought I should share this because I myself took time to understand this and did not find this information on any of the websites (or probably I did not search well!). Hope this helps and sorry if this is off topic.

Last edited by alto99 : 9th October 2009 at 22:49.
Old 14th October 2009, 14:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
mgmaps on the other hand needs GPRS to determine the route. Once it has the route, there is no need of GPRS. While moving it does not update the location as frequently as google maps and this is another drawback if there are too many turns+intersections on the route.
An update on this.. I installed another utility called GPSPort and now mgmaps works perfectly.
Old 14th October 2009, 15:52   #24
BHPian

Anyone carrying a laptop, can use GMapCatcher utility which downloads the google maps when you are online. Therefore, you need not be connected to the internet to browse the maps.

Though google maps are full of errors, I found them useful on my recent trip.
black_panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 17:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Anyone carrying a laptop, can use GMapCatcher utility which downloads the google maps when you are online. Therefore, you need not be connected to the internet to browse the maps.

Though google maps are full of errors, I found them useful on my recent trip.
I use this Map Creation Tool for MGMaps utility to create a map file of desired region and select "Yahoo Road Maps (India)" which are more detailed and accurate for Pune / western Maharashtra.

Use the .map file created above use this http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.msi to download the actual map tiles.
Old 19th October 2009, 15:38   #26
BHPian

Hi @Alto99..
I have Nokia 5320 & is having GPS facility, but dont know how to use this facility.

I had asked one of my colleague to set it for me. He has downloaded google map & but has lot of errors,
eg. when I go from home to office, it just shows 2 location which are 1km apart & pointer switches between those 2 location only. I dont know whether its tower location or actually using GPS facility. Some times when I am travelling within city it shows correct location.
Can you help to set it up for me.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 21:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Hi @Alto99..
I have Nokia 5320 & is having GPS facility, but dont know how to use this facility.

I had asked one of my colleague to set it for me. He has downloaded google map & but has lot of errors,
eg. when I go from home to office, it just shows 2 location which are 1km apart & pointer switches between those 2 location only. I dont know whether its tower location or actually using GPS facility. Some times when I am travelling within city it shows correct location.
Can you help to set it up for me.
My guesses on why it shows only office/home locations:
1. If its using cell tower locations, the accuracy varies from 80 meters to 700 meters for me. This works only if you have GPRS enabled as it refers Google online database (Using GPS and My Location (beta) : Accuracy of My Location (beta) - Mobile Help for more info).
2. Ensure that "Use GPS" option is selected. If it shows the message "Seeking GPS satellites" after selecting this option then its not able to contact enough satellites. (Although, if you travel by car this never happens.). I am not sure but I guess Googlemaps disables GPS by default when it starts so check this every time you start Googlemaps.
3. Search google for "Nokia 5320" and "google maps" on google to check if there ar eissues with these two. I tried but could not find any.
4. Very unlikely but, have you zoomed in enough that you can view the detailed path between home and office?
Old 20th October 2009, 21:07   #28
BHPian

Thanks @alto99..
1. I think your are right. my mobile is gprs enabled. the location flickers between 2 locations only.My office is just 400mtr from my home, so i it may be the reason.
2. I have not observed carefully, But some times it shows "seeking GPS satellites". will check it again.
4. I walk to office Since my office is so close to my home, I keep checking my mobile. error is correct.

Also today I went to some place which was around 10kms from office. Pointer position was accurate but not real time. it used to reset every few minutes.
Let me check it out tomorrow again.

Tks
Hemanth
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 21:41   #29
Team-BHP Support

@Alto99, Sorry for the late reply. I was aware of the construction of the GPS system. But what I did not know is the fact that you can overlay Google maps through GPRS over a GPS enabled cell phone.

I guess the response may be slow, depending on who is slower. GPS or GPRS! I guess it would be good to buy maps for India through Map My India or Satguide. I would prefer a cell phone GPS for trekking. But for cars a separate GPS device is always better.

Last edited by ampere : 20th October 2009 at 21:45.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:29   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Which maps to buy? Where?

Sorry for digging up an ancient 8 year old thread, but I am looking for offline paper maps for Uttarakhand and Himachal. Almost no one seems to be selling road maps anymore on Amazon etc.

Any tips where (offline or online) I can find detailed road maps for these two states? Specifically in Delhi NCR. Some obscure publication house that still makes these? Basic one-page maps can be found easily but they don't have the detail one needs while driving on the road.

I should also mention that while Google Maps and Earth or GPS are unbeatable at present, but one does not always have network connectivity in these states and the dependence on battery charge needs to be hedged against.

The last resort would be to print out Google Maps at home yourself.
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote