Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th August 2011, 22:23   #256
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
Hi,

can somebody suggest places for coffee/breakfast around Salem-Namakkal. since it will be a brief break, do not want GRT and A2B is too close to Bangalore.

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks @Ampere.

@Suvi - I saw this hotel on my return from Munnar and it was on the RHS of NH7 so could not try the place.
If you do stop here for breakfast, please post your feedback after you return, will help others. I think it's good to have an alternative to the A2B's/Krishna Inn/McDonalds that we usually visit on this route (and all these are before Salem).

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2011 at 22:32.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:12   #257
BHPian

i did break for coffee. Arya Bhavan is about 13km (35km+ from Salem) before Namakkal exit on the left side when going from Salem/Bangalore. okay for a quick break. unable to comment on food since it was not ready by 7:00am when i reached.
road condition is excellent. a few rough patches between Namakkal and Trichy in the Musiri route.
suvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 23:57   #258
BHPian

Just returned from Trichy yesterday. Have to say the roads are in excellent condition. Please note that Kulithalai to Trichy road work is rapidly progressing. You could reach 15-20 minutes earlier when you go through Kulithalai instead of taking Musiri route.

Road work is going on from Kulithalai to trichy SH. Its not very bad except for about 1 km. Once that road is laid, we dont even need to go into Kulithalai. We can connect through the new bypass (entrance of Kulithalai town from Namakkal) to trichy. This will save 15 minutes of drive time.

To touch Kulithalai road, please take a diversion left just before the periyar bridge. Take left and rejoin the bridge to enter Kulithalai. Usually it takes 5.5 hours to reach trichy from bangalore. This time it only took exactly 5 hours to reach trichy (including a 20 min break near namakkal for breakfast). I am a frequent traveller to trichy. Currently due to good road conditions the driving time is reduced significantly.
Naturalist is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 06:18   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
To touch Kulithalai road, please take a diversion left just before the periyar bridge. Take left and rejoin the bridge to enter Kulithalai.
Usually it takes 5.5 hours to reach trichy from bangalore. This time it only took exactly 5 hours to reach trichy (including a 20 min break near namakkal for breakfast).
I am a frequent traveller to trichy. Currently due to good road conditions the driving time is reduced significantly.

Kukithalai is on NH67 right? So which SH are you referring to, when you say Kulithalai-Trichy SH?
I thought the SH meant Musiri-Trichy and Kulithalai-Trichy meant NH67.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 07:24   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Kukithalai is on NH67 right? So which SH are you referring to, when you say Kulithalai-Trichy SH?
I thought the SH meant Musiri-Trichy and Kulithalai-Trichy meant NH67.
I think he was referring to NH67 only.

It would be really good if Kulithalai-Trichy section is completed.
But for few incomplete sections (=no road) in Kulithalai-Trichy road, I would still prefer Musiri-Trichy. Atleast this was the case, 20 days back.
Only problem in Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy stretch is the truck traffic. That too from 10 PM - 5 AM.
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 07:35   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
I think he was referring to NH67 only.

It would be really good if Kulithalai-Trichy section is completed.
But for few incomplete sections (=no road) in Kulithalai-Trichy road, I would still prefer Musiri-Trichy. Atleast this was the case, 20 days back.
Only problem in Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy stretch is the truck traffic. That too from 10 PM - 5 AM.
But very soon, we should see Karur-Trichy 4L for NH67. This would add about 40Km for the detour via Karur. But that would be worth it!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 08:39   #262
BHPian

Sorry for the typo. Yes, I typed SH instead of NH. It is NH67 which runs through Pettavaithalai.
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 08:58   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Just returned from Trichy yesterday. Have to say the roads are in excellent condition. Please note that Kulithalai to Trichy road work is rapidly progressing. You could reach 15-20 minutes earlier when you go through Kulithalai instead of taking Musiri route.
Thanks for the info. Next week I'll be travelling through these roads and the current plan is to use Musiri route (as suggested by friends in this thread). Do you want me to change that and use the Kulithalai route?
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:51   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Thanks for the info. Next week I'll be travelling through these roads and the current plan is to use Musiri route (as suggested by friends in this thread). Do you want me to change that and use the Kulithalai route?
NH67 will suit you if you are terminating at Trichy or planning to visit Tiruvanaikoil/Srirangam. If you are going further I wouldn't suggest the Kulithalai route unless you know Trichy very well know your way to catch the bypass. Signages aren't of much help.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:42   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
NH67 will suit you if you are terminating at Trichy or planning to visit Tiruvanaikoil/Srirangam. If you are going further I wouldn't suggest the Kulithalai route unless you know Trichy very well know your way to catch the bypass. Signages aren't of much help.
That is very true! The SH via Musiri directly terminates on the GST (NH45). If you are going ahead to Tanjore, this is a much better option.
Hit the GST, cross the two bridges and you get to the NH67 Tanjore crossing.

As Narayan said if one does not know route inside Trichy, NH67 is not easy.
Need to watch out and see if, Karur-Trichy lane work also adds to a bypass at Trichy
(both for GST and also for crossing through the city).
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 17:00   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need to watch out and see if, Karur-Trichy lane work also adds to a bypass at Trichy
There is a bypass under construction. It is starting from NH67 before Jeeyapuram and touches NH45 & NH45B. It is marked as 4 lane highway in Google Maps, if you change it to Satellite view you can clearly see the bypass alignment all the way.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 22:32   #267
BHPian

Quote:
That is very true! The SH via Musiri directly terminates on the GST (NH45). If you are going ahead to Tanjore, this is a much better option.
Hit the GST, cross the two bridges and you get to the NH67 Tanjore crossing.

As Narayan said if one does not know route inside Trichy, NH67 is not easy.
Absolutely true. It can be confusing if you are visiting Trichy for the first time. Musiri route will be easier from Namakkal as there are no other deviations. This route is approx 15 kms more than the Kulithalai route but Musiri road is in good condition
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:30   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely true. It can be confusing if you are visiting Trichy for the first time. Musiri route will be easier from Namakkal as there are no other deviations. This route is approx 15 kms more than the Kulithalai route but Musiri road is in good condition
Actually, I am travelling from Kumbhakonam to Bangalore, with a night halt at Trichy (Ramyas).

At this point, I am considering taking the Musiri route.

Though I know most of Thanjavur, I know next to nothing about Trichy.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:52   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
There is a bypass under construction. It is starting from NH67 before Jeeyapuram and touches NH45 & NH45B. It is marked as 4 lane highway in Google Maps, if you change it to Satellite view you can clearly see the bypass alignment all the way.
A 4L road that connects NH67 to NH45 is under contruction.
If you are coming from NH67, proceed straight via Ramba theatre, Anna Statue towards T.V.Kovil/Srirangam and before cauvery bridge there was a 2L not-so-good road on right that connects NH45. Now work is in progress to make this a 4L.

Not exactly a bypass but would save lot of time to hit NH45 instead of going thru T.V.Kovil.

Quote:
Actually, I am travelling from Kumbhakonam to Bangalore, with a night halt at Trichy (Ramyas).

From Ramyas (central bus stand), you could ask for NH45 (Trichy-Chennai). In about 10-12 Kms on NH45, there is an exit clearly marked for Salem which will take you to SH that goes via Musiri to Namakkal.

Its easy and faster to travel via Musiri compared to NH67 during day time.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 29th August 2011 at 10:56.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:58   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont know much of Trichy interiors. But a look at Google Maps tells me that the hotel you refer is not that far from NH45 (GST).
You can get on to it and drive towards Chennai, cross the two bridges and then take the Musri diversion,

Srikanth, Narayan,
Is that the correct approach?

Last edited by ampere : 29th August 2011 at 11:04.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote