Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th October 2011, 10:19   #286
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

[
Option #6 : Salem - Athur - Perambalur - Trichy
==============================
I tried this last year. The road construction till Athur makes us divert into one side of the road, driving against oncoming traffic. Otherwise Athur Perambalur is a peaceful segment, less traffic and decent roads. Once in Perambalur, you hit NH45 (Trichy-Chennai), which is a great road again. Longer than all other options.

@vrreddy

One more option is Salem-Vazapadi-Malliakarai-Thamampatti-Thuraiyur-Trichy.
Salem-Vazapadi four lane work is going on lot of deviations.
Vazapadi-Thamampatti road is good but too many curves.
Thamampatti-Thuraiyur average roads last time I traveled the road shoulders were being done up.
Thuraiyur-Trichy good roads.
It took me 3.45hrs from Trichy to Salem in this route.
Next time will try Kannur-Pagalwadi stretch.

Last edited by gajadonga : 29th October 2011 at 10:20.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 10:52   #287
BHPian

Just drove to trichy yesterday. It took 4.5 hours exactly.
The route taken was Bangalore->Salem->Namakkal->Kulithalai->Trichy.

The road conditions are not that bad except for 20 min stretch from Kulithalai to Trichy because of road work going on. Otherwise the entire drive was nice.

The other routes may be slightly long and the traffic in the Musiri route is really bad these days.
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 11:54   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
[One more option is Salem-Vazapadi-Malliakarai-Thamampatti-Thuraiyur-Trichy.
@gajadonga: Option 5 mentioned by vrreddy is the same as the one detailed by you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrreddy View Post
Option #5 : Salem - Vazhappadi - Thammampatti - Thuraiyur - Trichy
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:49   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrreddy View Post
I have travelled to Trichy twice in last 2 months, and in fact driving out today again.

Bangalore - Salem being the common route, I will avoid mentioning it below. We have these options -

1) Salem - Namakkal - Musiri - Trichy tollgate - Trichy
2) Salem - Namakkal - Kulithalai - Mukkombu - Trichy
3) Salem - Karur - Kulithalai - Mukkombu - Trichy
4) Salem - Namakkal - Kannanur - Pagalavadi - Trichy
5) Salem - Vazhappadi - Thammampatti - Thuraiyur - Trichy
6) Salem - Athur - Perambalur - Trichy
Did option #2 last friday, while going from B'lore to Trichy => Took a right turn after in Cauvery bridge after crossing Sreenivasanallur, so don't have to touch Musiri town. There are deviations in Kulithalai-Trichy road, but they are manageable and not very bad to avoid this option completely.

Did option #4 yesterday (Nov 1st) while coming from Trichy to B'lore => I would say this is the best route one can take both ways. You can consider this as almost a ZERO POT HOLE route compared to other options. While coming from trichy, you need to take a left to reach kannanur, after crossing Jayaram College (which will come on your right side). I was at Trichy Tollgate at 1:20 pm and reached Namakkal at 3 pm. Was able to constantly hit 80-100 kmph for 90% of the distance. Only thing to watch out for is the speed breakers while approaching a village. There are speed breakers before and after each village but well marked signboards are there. The two lane roads are broader than other options and most of them had shoulders.

Definitely recommended option for now until the road condition goes bad in upcoming rains

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:07   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
you need to take a left to reach kannanur, after crossing Jayaram College (which will come on your right side).
That's a good landmark to remember. Thanks a lot, ravib, for suggesting this landmark.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:19   #291

From my earlier post -

Option #5 : Salem - Vazhappadi - Thammampatti - Thuraiyur - Trichy
===========================================

I took this route, and would NOT recommend. it has far too many potholes and it passes through many villages & small towns. Secondly, the Vazhapadi-Salem stretch is not fully done, so traffic is slow. Many places we have to take the old 2 lane high way and it chokes. A must avoid for now, till the roads get done up.
vrreddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:23   #292
BHPian

Option #4 (Namakkal-Kannanur-Pagalavadi-Trichy) is slow if you travel between 8-10 AM or 4-8 PM on a weekday as you have to watch for pedestrian crossings. Thanks to Schools/villages.
I did this route on those timings on weekdays and took me more than 2 hours to cover the distance as I was unable to maintain good speed.
Any other time, the drive is very good. Sundays are always stress free.

You can take option #2 (Namakkal-Musiri-Kulithalai-Trichy) for those times. It would be faster even with few bad stretches between Kulithalai-Trichy.

Latest Update: Avoid Musiri-Gunaseelam-Trichy always, as there are many pot holes and the road condition is bad now after recent rains. It was atleast Okay two weeks back.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:40   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Option #4 (Namakkal-Kannanur-Pagalavadi-Trichy) is slow if you travel between 8-10 AM or 4-8 PM on a weekday as you have to watch for pedestrian crossings. Thanks to Schools/villages.
I did this route on those timings on weekdays and took me more than 2 hours to cover the distance as I was unable to maintain good speed.
Any other time, the drive is very good. Sundays are always stress free.

You can take option #2 (Namakkal-Musiri-Kulithalai-Trichy) for those times. It would be faster even with few bad stretches between Kulithalai-Trichy.

Latest Update: Avoid Musiri-Gunaseelam-Trichy always, as there are many pot holes and the road condition is bad now after recent rains. It was atleast Okay two weeks back.
Completely agree with nfsfreak. Namakkal-Kulithalai-Trichy is the 2nd best option to take.
I am planning for another trip this saturday to Pillayarpatti via Trichy again. Lets see how it goes, depending on the time i reach Namakkal.

BTW, the road condition from Namakkal to Thottiyam is very good, but hundreds of sand lorries are really a torture !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:00   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning for another trip this saturday to Pillayarpatti via Trichy again. Lets see how it goes, depending on the time i reach Namakkal.
Why not try the Dindigal-Nattam-Tirupattur Option?
You get 4L till Dindigul and as per what I read, the roads via Nattam is also very good.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:06   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why not try the Dindigal-Nattam-Tirupattur Option?
You get 4L till Dindigul and as per what I read, the roads via Nattam is also very good.
Need to goto Rockfort and may be Thiruvanaikaval. Also planning to stay at Trichy, ampere. Hence the choice.

May be in return journey from pillayarpatti to b'lore, i can try it.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:22   #296
BHPian

As planned, did a trip to Trichy (and then to Pillayapatti) and back last night.

Took Namakkal-Kannanur-Pagalavadi-Trichy route while going from B'lore on 5th Nov. Few new potholes are added due to rains in last week. They were not there on 1st Nov, but still the road is best to drive to trichy. Absolutely no traffic. Was in namakkal at 12:20 pm and reached Trichy Tollgate at 1:45 pm

Trichy-Pudukkottai-Thirupattur-Pillayarpatti update: 80% of the roads are in okay condition. Not too bad, except for couple of stretches around keeranur and thirumayam.

On return journey, took Pillayarpatti-Natham-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore route.
Excellent roads all throughout. Only a small stretch (for about 5 mts) is not good between NH45B and Natham. Otherwise, nice option to drive back to bangalore.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:53   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On return journey, took Pillayarpatti-Natham-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore route.
Excellent roads all throughout. Only a small stretch (for about 5 mts) is not good between NH45B and Natham. Otherwise, nice option to drive back to bangalore.
So looks like the Natham option is turning out to be a good one!
How easy/difficult its is to maneuver through Dindigul to hit NH7?
Any options for a Bypass?
Old 7th November 2011, 11:57   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amp, if you are coming from Natham, you cannot touch the Dindigul bypass. You need to go thru Dindigul town but maneuering through Dindigul will not be that difficult.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:13   #299
BHPian

Quote:
It is not very easy or straightforward to catch NH7 by ourselves. We were lost for short distance, but keeping asking the locals to catch Vedasandur-Karur highway (NH7), and they will direct. In total, it took about 20-25 mts or so inside dindigul, but once i hit Dindigul NH7 at 1:15, i was able to reach karur at 2 pm sharp. With 20 mts lunch and 20 mts tea/refuelling break, reached silkboard at 7 pm. Excellent drive !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 13:50   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Amp, if you are coming from Natham, you cannot touch the Dindigul bypass. You need to go thru Dindigul town but maneuering through Dindigul will not be that difficult.
Agreed. Thats what I wanted to know, if there is any other by-pass option to hit NH7.
Looks there is none

Quote:
In total, it took about 20-25 mts or so inside dindigul, but once i hit Dindigul NH7 at 1:15, i was able to reach karur at 2 pm sharp. With 20 mts lunch and 20 mts tea/refuelling break, reached silkboard at 7 pm. Excellent drive !
-Ravi
I think this should be ok as long as there is no maddening traffic to encounter!