Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 18:43   #406
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
Hi, I'm planning a trip from Bangalore Airport to Velankanni in the beginning of May. Our Flight arrives Bangalore at 10.50 am. Hope to be en route by 11.30 am. Can I do the distance in 8 hours? Which will be the best route?
Bangalore to trichy and tanjore is straightforward.

Airport --->> ORR --->> Silk board --->> e City -->> Hosur --->> krishnagiri --->> dharmapuri --->> Salem --->> Namakkal --->>> thathaiyangarpet --->> kannanur (look for sign board towards trichy) --->>> pagalavadi (Jayaram College of Engineering) --->>> manachanallur --->>> trichy bypass --->> tanjore NH --->>> tanjore.

However the problem is how to reach vellankanni from Tanjore. 15 days back I drove by the tries and tested route via

Ammapettai --->> Nedangalam -->> thiruvarur --->> nagapattinam -->>> velankanni

But this route is not motor-able right now. The road is full of pot holes and at times there exists no road at all.

On the way back we tried ECR ..

Vellankanni --->>> thirutiraipoondi --->> muthupettai --->> athiramPattinam ---->> pattukottai --->> tanjore --->> trichy

Although this is not shortest, it turned out to be best compared to other one.

If you're not keen on speed then you may try
Vellankanni --->> Nagapattinam --->> mannargudi ---->>> tanjore --->>> trichy.
ravigop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 19:14   #407
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
Hi, I'm planning a trip from Bangalore Airport to Velankanni in the beginning of May. Our Flight arrives Bangalore at 10.50 am. Hope to be en route by 11.30 am. Can I do the distance in 8 hours? Which will be the best route?
Eight hours seems a bit tight.

2 hours : to Hit NH7 till Hosur Road
4-5 : Trichy/Tanjore
Add more as the roads are bad.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 20:37   #408
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
Hi, I'm planning a trip from Bangalore Airport to Velankanni in the beginning of May. Our Flight arrives Bangalore at 10.50 am. Hope to be en route by 11.30 am. Can I do the distance in 8 hours? Which will be the best route?
The best route would be:
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Kulithalai-Trichy-Thanjavur-Thiruvarur-Nagapattinam-Velankanni.

You should take at least 11-12 hours from the Bangalore airport, so expect to arrive in Velankanni by 10 pm only. I have assumed at least 2 breaks, both less than 30 minutes each.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 10:39   #409
Newbie
 
sdesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Good to get route suggestions from distinguished gentlemen. Thanks. I have gone through many previous threads, there seems to be no consensus on the route from Devanhalli to Hosur. This part seems to take up almost 2 hrs., even though being only 80 km. I live in Suburban Mumbai and to travel to town, a run of about 40 km, takes 1.5 to 2 hrs. So, the question is, Is there any way to avoid the city traffic?
sdesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 10:41   #410
Newbie
 
sdesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Also, would it be better to go via Chidambaram instead of Trichy.
sdesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 18:28   #411
Newbie
 
sdesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Will leaving Bangalore early reduce the travel time. If so when??
sdesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 20:40   #412
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
Will leaving Bangalore early reduce the travel time. If so when??
Leaving before. 4am helps.
ravigop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 21:31   #413
Newbie
 
sdesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

@ravigop How About, If I end at puduchery or chidambaram and carry on from there?
sdesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 13:22   #414
BHPian
 
Tempelhof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 445
Thanked: 119 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

I was recently in Trichy (went by train) and the local cab driver told me that EXCEPT for the Kulithalai - Trichy stretch, the entire Bangalore - Trichy road via Karur is ready.

Can someone confirm? Thanks.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:32   #415
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 36 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
I was recently in Trichy (went by train) and the local cab driver told me that EXCEPT for the Kulithalai - Trichy stretch, the entire Bangalore - Trichy road via Karur is ready.

Can someone confirm? Thanks.
Yes, this is true but here is the latest update on Karur - Kulithalai - Trichy Stretch

Karur to Kulithalai -> Good Conditions
Kulithalai to Mukkombu -> Good Conditions
Mukkombu to Trichy (15 kms approx) -> Average conditions (before entering city). This stretch may take around 6 months to get completed.
Naturalist is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:56   #416
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
Yes, this is true but here is the latest update on Karur - Kulithalai - Trichy Stretch
So to ask again:

- Is this section (Karur-Tricy) supposed to be made to a good 2-lane like the roads from Sulur-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur or its supposed to be a 4-lane.
- To summarise is it now worth taking or its still good to go via Namakkal/Thuraiyur
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 10:51   #417
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 36 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So to ask again:

- Is this section (Karur-Tricy) supposed to be made to a good 2-lane like the roads from Sulur-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur or its supposed to be a 4-lane.
- To summarise is it now worth taking or its still good to go via Namakkal/Thuraiyur
Most of this stretch is supposed to be 4 laned. Approx about 20 % will be 2-laned.
Yes in my opinion, it is definitely worth taking now. It will also be slightly shorter than Namakkal/Thuraiyur if we want to go into the city.
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 14:18   #418
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
Most of this stretch is supposed to be 4 laned. Approx about 20 % will be 2-laned.
Yes in my opinion, it is definitely worth taking now. It will also be slightly shorter than Namakkal/Thuraiyur if we want to go into the city.
Thanks this good to know. The other point as you mentioned if that Karur is a good option if you have to go to the city. If one wants to bypass the city Thuraiyur may still be a good option, it directly gives the access to the Tanjore 4-lane to the north, instead of getting into the city.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:53   #419
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 30 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks this good to know. The other point as you mentioned if that Karur is a good option if you have to go to the city. If one wants to bypass the city Thuraiyur may still be a good option, it directly gives the access to the Tanjore 4-lane to the north, instead of getting into the city.
just a clarification, by "Karur" you mean going all the way till Karur and get back or connect to Karur NH from Namakkal via thotiyam, kulithalai ?
ravigop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:20   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
just a clarification, by "Karur" you mean going all the way till Karur and get back or connect to Karur NH from Namakkal via thotiyam, kulithalai ?
Widening work on NH67 from Karur to Trichy is almost all done and is the best route to take.
For this, continue on NH7 on Karur bypass till the end (towards Dindigul), where you will see sign boards indicating 80 kms in 80 kms. Turn left off NH7. This will take you into the Karur bypass on NH67. And thereafter to Trichy via Kulitalai.

Namakkal is before Karur (when coming from Bangalore/Salem) and the route form Namakkal takes you through Namakkal town & THuraiyur to Trichy.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai - Trichy : Route Queries sathya_j2084 Route / Travel Queries 122 17th March 2016 23:54
Trichy - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari - Trichy saugdas Route / Travel Queries 26 21st January 2013 15:49
Did this last weekend - Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai srikanthpotluri Route / Travel Queries 2 2nd November 2011 02:20
Bangalore Kanyakumari Rameshwaram Trichy Bangalore - One Hella Trip !!!!! lancersfx Travelogues 21 5th July 2010 14:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks