Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st June 2013, 19:41   #436
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Few notes:

- Drive till Karur is 4-lane
- Bypass to Trichy is to the south of Karur town. In other words, NH7 will bypass the town to the south and then you should see markings for Trichy on your left
- Karur Trichy is not fully done. I read here that about 15km is still not done.
- Check this post by @RGK

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3134824 (perrambalur-thuraiyur-karur-dharapuram-pollachi- road condition)

- So please be careful for the last section.
- NH67 should continue through the city. But for a bypass the easiest I can suggest is take the bridge over Cauvery twice.
- Keeps google maps. Should be really helpful at these late hours if you get lost in the city.
Adding to what ampere said, one additional word of caution.

After salem, when you drive further down in NH7 for about 45 to 50 kms, you will see an exit for Trichy first which goes via Namakkal and is a 2Lane road. Don't take this exit, as you are planning to go via Karur. So continue driving further straight in 4L road in NH7 till you hit across Karur byepass.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 11:23   #437
BHPian

Returned Hyderabad-Munnar yesterday.
On the return from Munnar took a detour Dindigul-Srirangam-Pagavadi-Kannanur-Namakkal.
The roads are in good conditions throughout.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 11:46   #438
BHPian

Did Blr-Trichy-Blr via Thuraiyur last weekend.

Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy:
The roads are very good throughout (with mild undulations in some parts, nothing major) and could easily maintain 80-90 kmph throughout.

Onward (BLR-Trichy) on Friday, Crossed Namakkal at 7:00 PM and reach trichy by 8:30 PM.
Return (Trichy-BLR) on Sunday, started from Trichy by 5:00 PM and crossed Namakkal around 6:30 PM.

During both the time, the traffic was very less and a very good drive throughout (I am a sedate driver ).

My take:
I would suggest any one to take this road if you love driving in good two lane roads. shorter and guess would be faster than Namakkal-Karur-Trichy.

Else, you can stick to Namakkal-Karur-Trichy for better & wide roads (only till Kulithalai. Last 15-20 Kms, still work in progress and would be completed within 2-3 months I guess).
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 14:09   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Else, you can stick to Namakkal-Karur-Trichy for
better & wide roads (only till Kulithalai. Last 15-20 Kms, still work in progress and would be completed within 2-3 months I guess).
I drove the Karur-Trichy stretch 2 weeks back after the sunset. NHAI has taken a worst decision to make this stretch as a 2 laned highway. Heavy traffic flow and I couldn't go beyond 80kmph. And again, what a pain it was to drive after Kulithalai. Relieved a lot after reaching Trichy.

One should stick with Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy if coming from Bangalore/Salem. But, how is the road condition of Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy?
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 14:27   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I drove the Karur-Trichy stretch 2 weeks ....
how is the road condition of Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy?
I did Trichy-Karur 1 month back after 11 PM (was heading towards Coimbatore). It was a very good drive after Kulithalai as the roads were good & traffic was sparse.
Not sure how it is now or what time the traffic starts building up.

Regarding Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy, My friend told the condition varies from bad to worse (esp near Thottiyam, Musiri) and is better to avoid that route if possible.
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 15:42   #441
Senior - BHPian

Which is now the least evil? Trichy-Musiri or Trichy-Kulithalai (because of the first 15 km work)?
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 17:55   #442
BHPian

I would say Trichy-Musiri. The road is in OK condition.
(Its only between Musiri-Thottiyam, the suspension testers are crafted to test your off-road skills)
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 12:04   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I drove the Karur-Trichy stretch 2 weeks back after the sunset. NHAI has taken a worst decision to make this stretch as a 2 laned highway. Heavy traffic flow and I couldn't go beyond 80kmph. And again, what a pain it was to drive after Kulithalai. Relieved a lot after reaching Trichy.

One should stick with Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy if coming from Bangalore/Salem. But, how is the road condition of Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy?
I second that, this road is not drivable during peak hours. Last week (29/5) I started from Trichy at 4 pm and I reached sukkaliyur bypass at Karur by 5:45 pm. The road is fully occupied by Sand lorries and there was hardly any chance to pass by them. The road was heavily crowded and i was stressed enough as i had to brake and slow down every 5 kms.

I managed to reach Nammakal Toll plaza by 6:30 which was 30 minutes more than it would take to drive via Thuraiyur. I still prefer thuraiyur route if one has to drive in regular hours. For early morning or probably late night travel I guess Karur NH 67 might help. Also pls remember the work is not complete yet. Once you cross the Ramakrishna Kudil after pettavaithalai the route is rough & still work is going on in lots of places. The last 9 km is still very patchy & not drivable.

Last edited by ravigop : 7th June 2013 at 12:12.
ravigop is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 17:21   #444
BHPian

I drove to Tanjore last week.

On-ward journey route :

Blore-Dharmapuri-Salem-Karur-Kulithalai-Trichy-Tanjore

As others mentioned, the routes are best only till Kulithalai. To be more exact, its only till Thirupparaithurai. The last stretch is completely in a mess and takes away the good feeling of the previous stretch.

While returning back, I took the regular road i.e Trichy-Musiri-Namakkal. The entire stretch is doable and not as bad as I thought. The traffic is minimal compared to the Karur-Trichy road, may be I just got lucky being a weekday and in the afternoon.

I visited Poondi as well and tried a different route to Trichy via Kalani. Didnt realize that Kalani is a site seeing place with 2 or 3 rivers joining at one place. The drive through the narrow bridge over the river is very good, only that there is no water at all. Will definitely have to give it another try during rainy seasons. It was a decent single lane and joins the ECR directly. A U turn and an exit towards Namakkal will lead to either Thuraiyur or Musiri Road. The entire Trichy city can be completely avoided.

A word of caution : The road from Blore - Hosur has become the worst with the huge traffic jams. It took me a good 2 hours to cross this stretch. Trying the Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur to avoid this stretch is a good option.
samabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 19:00   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post

A word of caution : The road from Blore - Hosur has become the worst with the huge traffic jams. It took me a good 2 hours to cross this stretch. Trying the Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur to avoid this stretch is a good option.

I had traveled Banglore to Hosur twice in a week interval.
There are two bottlenecks.The first is the attibele toll it takes 10-15 mins
depending on the traffic to cross.
Second at the Hosur checkpost due to six laning a flyover is being constructed
It is a single lane traffic added to the lorries on the side of the roads.I was stuck
at this place close to 20mins
The road from Sarjapur-Baglur-Hosur is good throughout.The only problem
would be crossing Sarjapur town which has narrow roads.Once you cross the
Sarjapur town when travelling from Banglore the road forks into two.The left
forks into ChikkaThirupathi and right fork to Bagalur.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 11:31   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
The road from Sarjapur-Baglur-Hosur is good throughout.The only problem
would be crossing Sarjapur town which has narrow roads.Once you cross the
Sarjapur town when travelling from Banglore the road forks into two.The left
forks into ChikkaThirupathi and right fork to Bagalur.
There is another road block now on Sarjapur Road near Carmellaram. Due to the ongoing rail over bridge construction, they have blocked the entire road. One has to take a detour through Gunjur-Dommasandra.

For someone coming through the ORR from Hebbal or KR Puram. taking the Varthur-Gunjur-Dommasandra Road towards Sarjapur and then through Bagalur is the best option for reaching Hosur.
samabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 13:10   #447
BHPian

Quote:
There is another road block now on Sarjapur Road near Carmellaram. Due to the ongoing rail over bridge construction, they have blocked the entire road. One has to take a detour through Gunjur-Dommasandra.

For someone coming through the ORR from Hebbal or KR Puram. taking the Varthur-Gunjur-Dommasandra Road towards Sarjapur and then through Bagalur is the best option for reaching Hosur.

As I take the Devanahalli-Budigere-Whitefeild-Varthur-Sarjapur-Baglur-Hosur
to cross Banglore.
That is a valuble information for those who take Hebbal-Bellandur-Sarjapur route
Thanks for the update
Another NICE road from Devanahalli-Hosur side would be good.

Last edited by gajadonga : 11th June 2013 at 13:21.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 14:30   #448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As @gajadonga said since he takes the Varthur road, it does not effect him.
But truly that flyover is needed. Its quite a choke many a times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
As I take the Devanahalli-Budigere-Whitefeild-Varthur-Sarjapur-Baglur-Hosur
to cross Banglore.
As I mentioned earlier, you should really try The Devanahalli/Hoskote/Sarjapur road once. I think that would be even more hassle free, but for the last stretch from Bagalur to Hosur which has quite some trucks and 2-wheeler. Also Varthur road has its own problems with many speed breakers and traffic around Varthur village. And not to mention about city traffic from Sai Baba Ashram to Varthur lake.

The trucks in the Bagalur sector come in primarily because they find this as a good alternative to hit Hosur from Kolar ( Kolar-Malur-Bagalur-Hosur). The SH is beautiful and makes an amazing morning drive with trees lined on both sides (beyond Bagalur towards Malur). I used this a couple of times to bypass the 4-lane work which was then happening on NH4 (Bangalore-Mulbagal) to go to Tirupathi.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2013 at 14:39.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:03   #449
BHPian

Can somebody post the updates on two laning karur NH67 project. The last time I travelled in April / May I noticed work completed till Thirupparaithurai (Ramakrishna Kudil). And work underway after that till Jeeyapuram. Any updates since then ? Is the alignment for ring road from Jeeyapuram to Panjapur finalized ?
ravigop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 22:31   #450
BHPian

Did a BLR-TRICHY-BLR trip over the last weekend. Followed the same route both the times. BLR-SALEM-NAMAKKAL-MUSIRI-TRICHY. The Namakkal-Trichy stretch is pretty decent and quite okay to drive during the day. It's in the night that it becomes a little difficult especially with the sand trucks plying this route. Travel time : Friday 1 PM start at Bangalore (Jeevan Bhima Nagar) - 8 PM Trichy ( Thillai Nagar), Monday 6 AM start from Trichy - 12.15 PM arrival in Bangalore. Pretty relaxed drive ( less than 100 kmph for most periods). Onwards Namakkal - Trichy took around 2+ hours ( late evening drive) while it took less than 1.30 hours during the return.
sbkumar is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote