Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:08   #586
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 480
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So to summarize:
- Be on the 4-lane.
- Go past Namakkal
- Take the Karur bypass
- At end you would see a diversion to Trichy.
Planning to test this later this month and shall keep the group updated with information

Cheers
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 10:34   #587
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 480
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Dear BHPians,

Any update on the latest road conditions to Trichy.

The trip didn't materialize and hence no updates from my end.

Am contemplating between the two - Thuraiyur vs. Karur !!

Cheers
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 21:00   #588
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Dear BHPians,

Any update on the latest road conditions to Trichy.

The trip didn't materialize and hence no updates from my end.

Am contemplating between the two - Thuraiyur vs. Karur !!

Cheers
I last did a trip in Nov. I felt sticking to Thuraiyur route is pretty much okay - quite decent roads, minimum traffic, quick access to NH 45 or the Thanjavur highway. No big deal in spending the extra kms on the Karur side....my 2 cents...
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 22:03   #589
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Am contemplating between the two - Thuraiyur vs. Karur !!
If end point is Trichy, I would suggest Karur. Its much easier than Thuraiyur option. Clean bypasses all the way.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 15:55   #590
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,911
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Dear BHPians,

Any update on the latest road conditions to Trichy.

The trip didn't materialize and hence no updates from my end.

Am contemplating between the two - Thuraiyur vs. Karur !!

Cheers
As of now i would vote for Karur by pass route
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 09:58   #591
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Recently drove the route, bangalore to Madurai, madurai to sevalur near pudukotai and from sevalur to bangalore via pudukotai, thiruchi, namakkal, selam, dramapuri, krishnagiri, hosur...

There are road works going on enroute from hosur to krishnagiri and the only decent eat out there is A2B but for that you need to be on the look out to take a kinda service road deviation which of you miss you need to make a kinda left U turn and back track with head on traffic coming at you including trucks so better plot the hotel on gps and be in the look out for that deviation, there is a nother A2B after krishnagiri but that comes on the opposite side while travelling from bangalore but is appropriate for those returning to bangalore, as we found out there is no decent eatery all the way from pudukkottai to krishnagiri but for this, yes you have tea shops, dabhas etc. But non where a family with kids would be comfortable. So better stock up or get off bye pass and into a town.

Plenty of sand laden trucks heading from thiruchi to attibele, all twelve wheelers totally blocking the six Lane high way and plenty driving very slow or stopped at the banks waiting for the next tailgate victim. Never overtake with close gaps, leave adequate space from the vehicle on front to take the leap so that there is plenty of road to reconsider your decision.

Drive safe.
drkumarmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 12:08   #592
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
There are road works going on enroute from hosur to krishnagiri and the only decent eat out there is A2B but for that you need to be on the look out to take a kinda service road deviation which of you miss you need to make a kinda left U turn and back track with head on traffic coming at you including trucks so better plot the hotel on gps and be in the look out for that deviation, there is a nother A2B after krishnagiri but that comes on the opposite side while travelling from bangalore but is appropriate for those returning to bangalore, as we found out there is no decent eatery all the way from pudukkottai to krishnagiri but for this, yes you have tea shops, dabhas etc. But non where a family with kids would be comfortable. So better stock up or get off bye pass and into a town.
Few places to break:
- Krishnagiri has Saravana Bhavan.
- Thoppur has Raja Bhojanam
- Salem : Grand Estancia and Park Plaza. Park Plaza esp. Very nice.

And all of them are good for family. Especially if you are OK to 200km at a stretch, I would suggest you to break at Salem (Park Plaza or Grand Estancia).

Last edited by ampere : 28th December 2014 at 12:09.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 10:23   #593
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 880 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

I will be staying in Trichy and Tanjore 2 days each. Some questions :

1) Is NH67 from Tanjore to Vellankanni 4 laned ?

2) Best route ( from either Trichy or Tanjore ) towards Gangai Konda Cholapuram

3) Best route from Tanjore to Thirukarugavur Temple.

4) Best route from Trichy towards Alangudi , NH210 ?
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 10:51   #594
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,911
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I will be staying in Trichy and Tanjore 2 days each. Some questions :

1) Is NH67 from Tanjore to Vellankanni 4 laned ?

2) Best route ( from either Trichy or Tanjore ) towards Gangai Konda Cholapuram

3) Best route from Tanjore to Thirukarugavur Temple.

4) Best route from Trichy towards Alangudi , NH210 ?
I just returned from my kumbakonam trip after visiting Garbharakshambikai temple at Thirukkaragavur. From kumbakonam i went via papanasam to the temple. I guess from Tanjore you have to proceed towards papanasam first. Roads are in good condition though.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 10:17   #595
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 480
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Update on Trichy - Bangalore drive via Karur

Departed Trichy at around 6:50am and reached Salem at around 9:00 am and Thoppur A2B just around 9:40am.

Time time taken to reach salem : 2:15 hours (via Karur)
Typical time taken to reach Namakkal : 1:30 hrs (via Thuraiyur)

Exit - Was using the Trichy - Karur bypass road that interesects NH 7 just around Karur

Pros of Taking the Karur route

1. Roads are reasonably wide
2. Allows you to maintain reasonable average speeds compared to Thuraiyur route (reason
3. Connects to NH 7 directly via bypass road

Cons of Taking the Karur route

1. Thanks to the sand lorry the traffic is high for a toll road
2. There are 2 toll booths from Trichy to Karur
Thiruparaithurai - INR 23
Manavasi - INR 42

Inspite of longer distance which in my case was close to 30 kms+ the mileage returned was much better 19.xx compared to 17.xx

Hope this helps the fellow BHPians.
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 11:03   #596
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Time time taken to reach salem : 2:15 hours (via Karur)
Typical time taken to reach Namakkal : 1:30 hrs (via Thuraiyur)
Isn't the time taken via Thuraiyur a bit optimistic. You are pretty much maintaining an average speed around 60+ which is quite high since this route goes via many villages. I do agree its a good road and at many places quite empty for long stretches. But still, would recommend an average of 50 (55 at most).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 20:52   #597
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 889
Thanked: 638 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

My yearly trip to Pillayarpatti last November via Thuraiyur route has similar timings.

Salem entry to Namakkal usually takes about 45 minutes and from Namakkal to Trichy toll gate which is about 90 kms I cover it in 90 minutes. So overall it takes about 2.15 hrs to 2.30 minutes. Plus No tolls to pay.

Currently the road conditions are good with some patches here and there but i can usually maintain constant reasonable speed always due to sparse traffic in 90% of the stretch.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 18:44   #598
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 480
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Isn't the time taken via Thuraiyur a bit optimistic. You are pretty much maintaining an average speed around 60+ which is quite high since this route goes via many villages. I do agree its a good road and at many places quite empty for long stretches. But still, would recommend an average of 50 (55 at most).
@ampere - We normally start early and there are sections where we maintain speeds of around 90km which is probably the reason for the good average speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
My yearly trip to Pillayarpatti last November via Thuraiyur route has similar timings.

Salem entry to Namakkal usually takes about 45 minutes and from Namakkal to Trichy toll gate which is about 90 kms I cover it in 90 minutes. So overall it takes about 2.15 hrs to 2.30 minutes. Plus No tolls to pay.

Currently the road conditions are good with some patches here and there but i can usually maintain constant reasonable speed always due to sparse traffic in 90% of the stretch.

-Ravi
@ravi - Interestingly we also visit Pillayarpatti every December. Glad to know you visit the place yearly too
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 13:45   #599
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 889
Thanked: 638 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

On 12-Feb-2015, i drove from Trichy to Coimbatore in NH67 via Kulithalai-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Palladam.

The stretch between Trichy to Karur, IMPO i don't think its worth to take this route for those who drive towards Salem/Bangalore primarily because of sand lorries torture . Very very frustrating and tiring to overtake them and they shower the sand in our car windshields
On top of it we need to pay a toll as well !

Though the road surface is good in NH67, its far easier, better and less stressful route to drive via Thuraiyur road (due to less traffic and good roads) to reach Namakkal/Salem/Bangalore instead of driving via Trichy-Karur-Namakkal. Its simply painful to each and every sand lorry and makes your more tired !

My 2 cents...

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 17th February 2015 at 13:49.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 14:40   #600
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Though the road surface is good in NH67, its far easier, better and less stressful route to drive via Thuraiyur road (due to less traffic and good roads) to reach Namakkal/Salem/Bangalore instead of driving via Trichy-Karur-Namakkal. Its simply painful to each and every sand lorry and makes your more tired !
Next time I should try driving through Namakkal town and see how bad/good/worse it is to get on to Thuraiyur road. But I do agree that once on that road, it was extremely peaceful. I found Budhansanthai/Senthamangalam/Alanganatham section to be extremely truck traffic prone.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trichy - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari - Trichy saugdas Route / Travel Queries 30 22nd May 2017 16:52
Chennai - Trichy : Route Queries sathya_j2084 Route / Travel Queries 122 17th March 2016 23:54
Did this last weekend - Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai srikanthpotluri Route / Travel Queries 2 2nd November 2011 02:20
Bangalore Kanyakumari Rameshwaram Trichy Bangalore - One Hella Trip !!!!! lancersfx Travelogues 21 5th July 2010 14:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks