Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd March 2009, 11:18   #76
BHPian

Default Its update time once again

Hi all,

I have just completed another trip to Trichy.

Route taken:
Onward: Bangalore - Hosur - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Musiri - Kulithalai - Trichy.
Return: Trichy - Tollgate - Musiri - Namakkal - Salem - Dhramapuri - Hosur - Bangalore

Bangalore - Hosur: Much better now, except for the important junction where the flyover work is in progress.

Hosur - Krishnagiri: Construction work going on the flyover after the toll gate. Please be careful. Otherwise its all same good roads.

Krishnagiri - Salem: Its all full complete and I paid the toll (48 INR) for the first time. Good nice roads. One can enjoy BOATING at the children's park after the second flyover from Krishnagiri Tollgate. I did enjoy it and it was nice. Rs. 40 for 30 minutes pedalling boat ride.

Salem - Namakkal: Much better now, though there are lot of diversions. Hopefully all the work will be completed in a month or two.

Namakkal - Kulithalai: The potholes which I have seen during my last trip are covered now and I had a decent ride.

Kulithalai - Trichy: Most of the potholes are covered in this stretch but still a bumpy and dangerous road to drive for the well known reasons.

Trichy - Tollgate - Musiri: Took this route on return, since the Trichy byepass is 99% complete. Some potholes are there once your cross toll gate and they continue to exist till Gunaseelam. After that, its breeze to drive, though this road has good number of curves. Hence please be careful.

Technical data:
Car: Hyundai i10 Kappa Sportz 1.2
Fuel effciency: 16.71 kmpl with 99% AC on onward, 17.50 with 80% AC on return
Onward: 7 hours and 30 minutes including two stopovers.
Return: 7 hours and 40 minutes including three stopovers.

Recommended fuel stations:
TVS bunk near Trichy Airport junction
BP petrol bunk - A2B Restaurant, Krishnagiri
Indian Oil petrol bunk just before Trichy Railway Station opposite to Vincent Bakery.
subbusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
Bangalore - Hosur: Much better now, except for the important junction where the flyover work is in progress.
The other day when I drove down from Chennai to Bangalore, it took me just one and a half hours from Hosur to my office in MG Road in the peak morning hours, was pleasantly surprised not to get stuck in traffic all the way until Madiwala Jn.

Quote:
Indian Oil petrol bunk just before Trichy Railway Station opposite to Vincent Bakery.
Last weekend I was on my way to Sabarimala when I filled up LPG at Yashoda (BPCL outlet - next to Busstand), was very impressed with the attitude of the staff and overall maintanance, I suppose it should be good for Petrol & Diesel as well.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:11   #78
BHPian

Default Salem - Namakkal - how much time?

Quote:
Salem - Namakkal: Much better now, though there are lot of diversions. Hopefully all the work will be completed in a month or two.
Thank you for the route info.

How much time did it take for you cross this distance between Salem and Namakkal? Can it be done at consistent speed? (except at diversions).
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post

How much time did it take for you cross this distance between Salem and Namakkal? Can it be done at consistent speed? (except at diversions).
45 mins to 1 hour max
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post

I took just 45 minutes to 1 hour. Yes, you could do constant speeds at some stretches except for the places where there are diversions, fly over construction work going on at Rasipuram junctions. One or two villages are yet to get bye-passes (work under progress) and there you need to join the single lane again. Better to be very careful on this stretch as both the lanes are used for both side traffic as of now, since there are no clear directions mentioned. Hence vechicles plying on both the sides that too both the sides are two - way. That is its like two parallel single lane roads.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:16   #81
BHPian

subbusos,

Thank you for a detailed update; this will be really useful for my trip to Tanjore-Velankanni (tentatively planned for May). I did the same trip in Sept'07 and had used the Musiri-Kulathalai-Trichy route.

For me to head to Tanjore, do you suggest using the Kulathalai-Trichy route or Musiri-Trichy route - I'm not too keen to drive around too much within Trichy town.

Cheers & thanks,
Jammy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 11:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
...For me to head to Tanjore, do you suggest using the Kulathalai-Trichy route or Musiri-Trichy route - I'm not too keen to drive around too much within Trichy town...
Take the Musiri route. This way you can take the by-pass to Tanjore without entering Trichy.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update on the Bangalore - Salem route subbusos.
I am planning to do Hyderabad-Erode during May.
Does anyone have updates on the Salem - Erode route? Last time I was there in December, work was going on at that stretch. (I prefer this rather than mettur-bhavani-erode)
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:51   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
subbusos,

Thank you for a detailed update; this will be really useful for my trip to Tanjore-Velankanni (tentatively planned for May). I did the same trip in Sept'07 and had used the Musiri-Kulathalai-Trichy route.

For me to head to Tanjore, do you suggest using the Kulathalai-Trichy route or Musiri-Trichy route - I'm not too keen to drive around too much within Trichy town.

Cheers & thanks,
Take the Musiri-Trichy route, since you dont need to enter the City and also now the bye-pass is ready and is good except on the bridges and flyovers.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:37   #85
BHPian

Thanks HappyWheels & subbusos - Musiri-Trichy road it will be, then!

Cheers,
Jammy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 22:46   #86

Quote:
Kulithalai - Trichy: Most of the potholes are covered in this stretch but still a bumpy and dangerous road to drive for the well known reasons.
Hi subbusos, thank you for the details, I'll be going from Bangalore to Trichy on May 23rd. Couple of years back I took the Musiri-Tollgate road to reach Srirangam. The road was good. This time I got to go to Puthur (Bishop Hebbar Coolege) junction. I guess going through Kulithalai is the best route. Why do you feel it is dangerous apart from the road being bumpy?

Thanks again.
morbidpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 12:36   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidpriest View Post
I guess going through Kulithalai is the best route. Why do you feel it is dangerous apart from the road being bumpy?

Thanks again.
Its dangerous because of its curves, jally lorries plying on the route. They drive like crazy and quite scary. And there is a deadly narrow bridge just before Pettavaithalai (6-7 kms after Kulithalai) which comes suddenly after a tight curve. This bridge is quite famous for the accidents. And after pettaivaithalai, there is another deadly curve which come just after a temple on the right hand side. Its not only a curve, but also a slope.

Sorry for the delay in reply, just saw the query.
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:21   #88

Quote:
Its dangerous because of its curves, jally lorries plying on the route. They drive like crazy and quite scary. And there is a deadly narrow bridge just before Pettavaithalai (6-7 kms after Kulithalai) which comes suddenly after a tight curve. This bridge is quite famous for the accidents. And after pettaivaithalai, there is another deadly curve which come just after a temple on the right hand side. Its not only a curve, but also a slope.
Thanks Subbu. That seems quite a dangerous route that needs to avoided like plague. I'll take the Musiri-Tollgate.
morbidpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 13:32   #89
BHPian

Default Bangalore - Trichy route condition : UPDATE

Hi all,

I have made another trip to Trichy on May 15th, 2009. We had left home at 5.30 pm instead of 2.30 pm due to my official commitments. This time it was full of driving in heavy rains for almost 80% of the drive.

Route taken:
Onward: Bangalore - Hosur - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Musiri - Tollgate - Trichy.

Bangalore - Hosur: Improved more now, bad roads only at major junctions, otherwise easy to drive on.

Hosur - Krishnagiri: No issues at all. As usual.

Krishnagiri - Thoppur: Again no issues all the way.

Thoppur - Omalur:
Watch out for the number of speed breakers in the ghat. And just after the ghat road, it becomes single lane for 2-3 kms. Please be careful, as we tend to move right here forgetting the single lane.

Omalur - Salem: Again good except for the place where the railway overbridge is not completed. Water is stagnant here upto knee level. Roads are also a goner. So some traffic jams, breakdowns etc. Please watch out.

Salem - Namakkal:
Much better now, though there are lot of diversions. But a dangerous road drive especially in the night and during rains. Diversions are not marked enough. I had a terrible experience of driving into the construction area and my car was going to the right because of the stagnant water. Luckily escaped. And again I mistakenly drove into a unfinished flyover for few meters. Here also no markings of diversion.

Namakkal - Musiri: As usual, smooth ride on the single laned roads till Thottiyam and there after the deadly narrow bridges and curves. Please wait for your turn on these narrow bridges right after the Thottiyam town.

Musiri - Tollgate: NEW ROAD LAID NOW. No pot holes at all. Just be careful on the curves and speed breakers in the villages.

Tollgate - Trichy: As usual, byepass construction is underway. 90% good roads.

Technical data:
Car: Hyundai i10 Kappa Sportz 1.2
Fuel effciency: 18.02 kmpl with 99% AC on onward
Onward: 8 hours and 30 minutes including two stopovers.
Driving time: 7 hours

I am still in Trichy, will come back by this weekend. After that will be able to more details on the road condition.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 18th May 2009, 13:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

I will be driving back down on Sunday night (Monday early morning) from Trichy to Bangalore next week (25th).

Subbusos, I reckon you will be starting back on Sunday afternoon, is it?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote