Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th November 2009, 11:15   #121

Default Anyone did this route in the past week? SOS!!! HELP!!!

The rate at which the Toll roads are getting done, I'm now confused between taking either of these routes:

Blr - Salem - Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri - Trichy
Blr - Salem - Karur - Trichy

Would appreciate quick response from the community. I'm desperate since I need to decide on the route today.
aravinthrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 12:09   #122
BHPian

Blr - Salem - Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri - Trichy I have done this route last month.Upto Namakkal four lane.Namakal to Thottiam good road.From Thottiam single road drivable but lot of blind curves.It took about 1.30hrs from Trichy to Namakkal.Heard that widening work is going on between Karur and Trichy not sure of the status of the road.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:08   #123
BHPian

Went end of Oct. Used the Namakkal route. A bit of deviation at at the bridge; otherwise it was fine. Had issues from Srirangam to Tanjavur but, of course, that does not apply to you.

No opinion on the other route.
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:08   #124
BHPian

Unhappy

Hello All,

Recently (2-Jan to be precise) did Trichy to Bangalore. The route I took is Musri -> Namakkal -> Salem -> Bangalore.

The good thing is that the Karur road exit from Trichy has been patched up and looks very decent. The worst is the Musri stretch.

Thanks to the recent heavy rains about 25km of the entire stretch is really bad where driving in either 1st or 2nd is an absolute must..

But once you get onto NH 7 it was an absolute breeze.

I could manage Trichy -> Bangalore in around 6 hrs (door to door) with one stop for food. (On NH 7 the speedo was locked to 110 km/hr and the rpm meter 2.5k).

Mileage dropped but not significantly (19kmpl). I love Diesel

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sateesh
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:20   #125
Senior - BHPian

How's the trichy tanjore road conditions , anyone done it recently ? I heard that 4 laning work was in progress from trichy to tanjore and conditions were bad?
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:48   #126
BHPian

Returned from Trichy-Hyderabad yesterday night.Hyderabad to Kurnol excellent four lane.Upto Gooty four lane in patches.Gooty to Penukonda four lane in patches.Penukonda to Banglore four lane.Banglore to Namakkal four lane.Namakkal to Trichy drivable. Thottiam to Musiri 10kms potholes.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:50   #127

Did a Bangalore - Trichy - bangalore couple of days back

Bangalore - hosur - krishnagiri - dharmapuri - salem - namakkal - musri - trichy
and back on the same route.
Bangalore to namakkal is a quick drive on the excellent NH road except for some very small disturbances near the constructions from salem to namakkal
From Namakkal to Trichy starts one pathetic journey with lot of potholes and require arnd one and hour hrs(or more) to cover
kaadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 10:21   #128
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore Trichy yesterday for a friends wedding. (Roshan Mahal Central bus stand)

Started at about 5AM and reached Trichy at 11 AM.
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishanagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Trichy

Stopped at Krishnagiri for prayers at 6:10 AM at an Indian Oil bunk and what luck, a mosque happened to be right behind it.

I have to admit there are more trucks than private vehicles on this stretch. I have not seen many trucks on NH4 as compared to NH7.

Namakkal - Trichy is very curvilacious and dream to drive on but a tad long (94 kms approx). Trichy is quite a big city but the quality of road connection from Namakkal to Trichy is totally undeserving. This 94 kms brings the fatigue and not the BLR - Namakkal journey. It takes about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 of an hour to complete this.

Bus drivers. The less said the better. They will come on to you. They will pounce on you. You are at their mercy. Get out of the way once you see an overtaking yellow box coming at high speed on a double lane road kicking up dust and muck.

I reached at 11:00 AM and left early at 11:30 AM.

Came out to Namakkal at 2 PM including afternoon prayers and small lunch. Encountered a puncture 35 kms before Salem. Fortunately the puncture guy was 400 mtrs from where I stopped.

He showed me the other tyre and it was in pretty bad and sad condition. The braking and torture of Namakkal - Trichy had taken its toll on the tyre. He advised me to drive slowly to Salem and get it changed.

I went into Salem city and got a Goodyear stock zen tyre. I wanted to get all 4 changed from Nikhil's shop but I guess I will keep this new one as a spare tyre.

Drove till before Hosur and guess what, there was a massive jam from there on. Is this normal ? The traffic was diverted from village roads and reach Hosur with my heart in my mouth as the fuel indicator needle was not showing a friendly face.

Then I reached Hosur and took the highway upto Bangalore.
At around 9:00 I was below the new Electronic city elevated road and it was a smooth drive. By now my eyes were droopy and wanted to drop down dead once I reached home.

I reached home by 9:20, had dinner and went into deep slumber

Last edited by bblost : 28th January 2010 at 11:23.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 19:49   #129
BHPian

I drove from Hyderabad to Trichy 2 weeks back for Pongal.The road from Namakkal to Trichy is not bad .From Namakkal to Thottiam good road, only fromThottiam to Musiri 10kms with potholes.Again from Musiri to Trichy is drivable.Only problem was crossing Namakkal as some fly over is being built towards Trichy side.While going towards Trichy I went through Namakkal bypass and after crossing the city took a left towards Trichy bad roads some how managed to get into Trichy highway as I was driving around 3.30am.As it was Pongal there were people on the streets drawing Kollam and were trying to outdo each other and they helped me to get on to the highway.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

How is the road from Karur to Trichy via NH67, anyone done it recently ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 2nd February 2010 at 13:19.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 08:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
While going towards Trichy I went through Namakkal bypass and after crossing the city took a left towards Trichy bad roads some how managed to get into Trichy highway as I was driving around 3.30am.As it was Pongal there were people on the streets drawing Kollam and were trying to outdo each other and they helped me to get on to the highway.
Came back from trichy last night. Flyover at Namakkal is open now and there is no need for deviation. Namakkal to trichy via Musiri surface is uneven yet no potholes. Can mantain speeds of around 60-70 Kmph. 3-4 paved diversions around small bridges under construction on this strech. Lorry traffic at night (around mid night) was very heavy and overtaking on the 2 lane road is a challenge. While returning at 4 pm traffic was considerable less on this strech. Bangalore Namakkal is of course in excellent condition.

Last edited by adnaps : 11th April 2010 at 08:44. Reason: Correction
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 22:12   #132
Team-BHP Support

I have a basic question.

I see a SH and NH from Musiri to Trichy. (On the either side of the river).
Do folks still take the SH instead of switching to NH?

How are both the road conditions?

Last edited by ampere : 11th April 2010 at 22:28.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 22:38   #133
BHPian

The state highway is between Namakkal and Trichy which touches the city at toll gate and from there you have to cross over via Cauvery over bridge to get into the Trichy city.The road from Karur to Trichy is NH and both these roads run parallel to the Cauvery river from Kulithalai from Karur and Musiri from Namakkal.You have a bridge across river Cauvery interlinking Musiri and Kulithalai.Both the roads are good enough thou lot of blind curves through small towns.
Old 14th April 2010, 00:26   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have a basic question.

I see a SH and NH from Musiri to Trichy. (On the either side of the river).
Do folks still take the SH instead of switching to NH?

How are both the road conditions?
@Ampere

Some key factors first -
Namakkal to Trichy via Musiri - 87kms
Karur to Trichy via Kulithalai - 79kms
Musiri and Kulithalai are towns on either side of river Cauvery.
There is a road/bridge connecting Musiri and Kulithalai across the river.
The Namakkal route is used by travelers from Salem while the Karur route by folks from Coimbatore.

Now the reason -
Yes you are right though its an NH, it has had a history of bad roads - thanks to the sand mining that happens in that area which has heaps of sand trucks spoiling the roads all these years!
So compared to this NH, the SH through Musiri has been better with less traffic, the only problem being narrow and winding stretches which totally brings down your average speed.

Personally, I take both routes depending upon where I want to go in Trichy. The Karur-Kulithalai route gets you city access fast whereas the Namakkal-Musiri route will connect you easily to the bye-pass and Tanjore/Pudukottai roads.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 07:15   #135
Team-BHP Support

@luvurride
This explains it well. Thanks! I always used to wonder in spite of NH why every one ended taking up the SH. Though I was kind of aware that this NH was not that great, but still the question used to keep nagging me.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote