Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st June 2011, 10:53   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Coorg (2 day trip)

Quote:
Guys, anyone done the Bangalore - Coorg trip recently. Wanted an update on the road conditions.
The roads are good.
BLR-> Mysore
Take the Mysore Bypass (the road directions are not very clear in on Mysore Bypass)
And touch hunsur road
Keep on going straight and you will touch Kushal Nagar and then Medikeri.
The roads in Kushal Nagar is not good in patches.
Otherwise preety good road.
musafir_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 12:58   #32
BHPian

Mysore by-pass cannot be missed as there are directions mentioned for Coorg by some private resorts(Orange County?). Just look out for this immediately after Srirangapatna town. Having said that, the road is not in great shape. I did this last weekend on my trip to Payyanur and it is a bumpy ride with potholes in some spots which make you to stop your vehicle and negotiate. But should be okay considering the fact that you almost never encounter any traffic.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 13:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Yes there is a big board by Orange County a few kilometers after Srirangapatna,you cannot miss it.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 14:04   #34
BHPian

Not sure how I missed when I traveled last month. No doubt it was a big miss as I had to stop by and ask for the direction. Fortunately little while later I got one Innova to whom I tailed and touched hunsur road.
musafir_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 14:33   #35
Team-BHP Support

I remember reading earlier that there work going in Mysore ORR from the Columbia hospital signal to Hunsur Road exit.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 12:38   #36
BHPian

Travelled this weekend to Club Mahindra Madikeri. Route was Bangalore Mysore- Hunsur Madikeri total drive time 4.5hours break of 1hour. Excellent road conditions except the inter link road between srirangapatna and mysore- medikeri route. enroute stopped at the coffe day in hunsur..return lunch at adiga..
kalsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 13:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsu View Post
Travelled this weekend to Club Mahindra Madikeri. Route was Bangalore Mysore- Hunsur Madikeri total drive time 4.5hours break of 1hour. Excellent road conditions except the inter link road between srirangapatna and mysore- medikeri route. enroute stopped at the coffe day in hunsur..return lunch at adiga..
Thanks for the update. How are the rains in Coorg?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 13:35   #38
BHPian

Heavy rains but driving my safari in the rain and ghats felt like a king !
kalsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:17   #39
BHPian

Dear all,
Am planning to drive to Coorg from Bangalore in the next couple of weeks and would appreciate your inputs on the roads condition, best route to be taken etc. planning to leave Bangalore in the morning and depart from Coorg 2 days later by noon so as to be back in Bangalore by evening.

Does the route involve a heavy ghat section and if so, how're the driving conditions there?

Cheers!
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 15:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Dear all,
Am planning to drive to Coorg from Bangalore in the next couple of weeks and would appreciate your inputs on the roads condition, best route to be taken etc. planning to leave Bangalore in the morning and depart from Coorg 2 days later by noon so as to be back in Bangalore by evening.

Does the route involve a heavy ghat section and if so, how're the driving conditions there?

Cheers!
Can you please be little specific about where exactly in Coorg so that the answers are lot more helpful? If you are referring to Madikeri, the roads are butter smooth all the way from Bangalore to Madikeri (jsut returned y'day) Involves about 12-15kms of driving in ghats.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 15:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Can you please be little specific about where exactly in Coorg so that the answers are lot more helpful? If you are referring to Madikeri, the roads are butter smooth all the way from Bangalore to Madikeri (jsut returned y'day) Involves about 12-15kms of driving in ghats.

Prasad
Yes, I am refering to Madikeri. Am planning to stay in Madikeri for a couple of nights. Could you elaborate on the route you used? How's the ghat section, as in, does it involve hair pin curves etc, and if so, is it a challenge to navigate that section during heavy rainfall?

Many thanks
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand
Dear all,

Cheers!
Bangalore upto the Hunsur bye pass is fine. Hunsur bye pass which comes just after Sri Rangapatnam, upto the time you hit the main highway again is a distance of around 40 km odd and that is irritating because it is not a smooth surface like the highway.
From the time you hit the highway again right upto Madikeri is a dream of a road. Do not exceed the speed limit though because there are some evil speed cameras which are placed strategically to catch the unwary.
That road is good so you tend to 'send it'. If you do, they will simply send you a notice with a fine.
Be careful. Enjoy!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Yes, I am refering to Madikeri. Am planning to stay in Madikeri for a couple of nights. Could you elaborate on the route you used? How's the ghat section, as in, does it involve hair pin curves etc, and if so, is it a challenge to navigate that section during heavy rainfall?

Many thanks
Sure.

We took the following route:
- Bangalore-Srirangapatna (4 lane state highway, but for humps that comes-up every now and then, its just fine)

- Srinrangapatna-Ranganathittu-Belagola-Ilawala (this is a 2-lane decent road that forks off at Srirangapatna and joins the Mysore-Mangalore highway, bypassing Mysore). Alternatively, you can go to Mysore and take a right turn to the ring road at Columbia Asia junction and reach the Mysore-Mangalore highway. I do not know the status of this road which was undergoing some widening work 2 months ago.

- Ilawala-Hunsur bypass-Kushalnagara-Madikeri (butter smooth, newly laid road with good markings)

The ghats are there only for the last 15kms, but with the condition of the road, its not tough. There isn't any hairpin bend. It is not very difficult to drive even in heavy rains.

There wasn't much rains in Madikeri last weekend, but it was pretty cold in the evenings. Pack some woolen stuff. Let me know if you need more info.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 16:10   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
We took the following route:
- Bangalore-Srirangapatna (4 lane state highway, but for humps that comes-up every now and then, its just fine)

- Srinrangapatna-Ranganathittu-Belagola-Ilawala (this is a 2-lane decent road that forks off at Srirangapatna and joins the Mysore-Mangalore highway, bypassing Mysore). Alternatively, you can go to Mysore and take a right turn to the ring road at Columbia Asia junction and reach the Mysore-Mangalore highway. I do not know the status of this road which was undergoing some widening work 2 months ago.

- Ilawala-Hunsur bypass-Kushalnagara-Madikeri (butter smooth, newly laid road with good markings)
Is this the best route from Bangalore to Madikeri? I am planning to drive from Hyderabad on Aug 15th and would request some inputs on how to bypass the bangalore city traffic to land up on the mysore highway

Also, how much time would it take to reach Madikeri from Bangalore?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 20:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is this the best route from Bangalore to Madikeri? I am planning to drive from Hyderabad on Aug 15th and would request some inputs on how to bypass the bangalore city traffic to land up on the mysore highway

Also, how much time would it take to reach Madikeri from Bangalore?
Hi,

Please refer to the separate thread On Bypassing Bangalore for enough information on bypassing Bangalore.

Yes, Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Madikeri is the best route to reach Madikeri. It should take about 4.5-5hrs from NICE road junction on the outskirts of Bangalore to Madikeri.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote