Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th October 2007, 10:15   #1
BHPian

Default south india pilgrimage trip

Hi,

My parents were planning to go for a south india trip.
I thought instead of accompnying them on boring trip in bus/train, why not persuade them to drive by car...and get some kick out of it for myself.
They agreed for it under 2 conditions.
1. We should not be driving for more than 4 hrs at a stretch. And not more than 7hrs in a day.
2. I should always drive below 100kmph.

We plan to start on 25th dec morning and return by 31stdec evening.(I know dec is far off but i'll have to first convince my parents and then make hotel reservations...and dec is peak season!)
Places I tht we could cover are

1. Bangalore->Maduari
2. Maduari->Rameshwaram
3.Rameshwaram->Kanyakumari
4. Kanyakumari->maduari
5. Maduari->trichi
6. Trichi ->maduari->bangalore.

route 1,2,3 are ok...but i am not very convinced abt return from kanyakumari to bangalore....i wanted to go thru kerela...
Could you please suggest
1. Is this circuit possible in the given time within the given resticitions?
2. Any place better than maduari/rameshwaram/kanyakumari?
3. Alternate route back for kanyakumari->bangalore ...preferabally thru kerela.

Would appreciate your help.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 10:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Apart from Madurai, Rameswaram and Kanyakumari, there are lots of temples to be visted in the Thanjavur region. There is an unique Navagraha temple circuit in and around Kumbakonam/Mayavaram-Mayiladuthurai which is a must-visit (but takes 2-3 days).

Driving through Kerala is a good option, hoping that NH47 (now in a bad shape) will be repaired by Dec-end (most likely).

The route you could take is Kanyakumari-Trivandrum (temples, beaches), Kollam (backwaters), Alapuzha (backwaters), Kochi, Trissur, Guruvayoor (temple), Calicut, Wayanad, Mysore, Bangalore. You can also continue on NH47 after tou return to Trissur from Guruvayoor and go via Palakkad, Coimbatore, Mettur, Krishnagiri, Hosur.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 11:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

OT: So south of Bangalore is South India ?
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 11:11   #4
BHPian

@srishiva,
Frame of reference for "south india" is karnal(near delhi).
Old 13th February 2008, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Default Road condition between Trivandrum and Madurai

Mohit,

Did u go for the trip in Dec? How was the road condition between Trivandrum and Madurai?

Cheers!!
carlover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 20:51   #6
BHPian

My trip got cancelled :(
shall be going sometime next yr.

Regards,
Old 15th February 2008, 23:21   #7
BHPian

Default Koti Linga Temple Kolar

Hi Guys, please include this destination also and let me know how to go to this temple, Koti Linga Temple
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 14:06   #8
BHPian

Folks,

This is my first post to Team-BHP
Last weekend I travelled to Vaitheeswaran Koil from Kumbakonam in Tanjore District, TN. I thought it will be helpful to those who would like to visit Vaitheeswaran Koil from Mayiladuthurai/Kumbakonam.

The route we took is :
Kumbakonam->Thirubhuvanam->Thiruvidaimaruthur->Aduthurai-> Kuthaalam->Mayiladuthurai (aka Mayavaram)->Vaitheeswaran Koil.

The entire distance is approximately 50 kms. (Kumbakonam to Mayavaram ~ 35 kms and Mayavaram to Vaitheeswaran koil ~14 kms )

We stopped at Thirubhuvanam temple and Thiruvidaimaruthur temple. Both of them are must see enroute.

The State Highway is quite okay to drive. Its a two lane road and work is in progress to expand it a bit. You can drive at an average speed of 60 kmph. Please be extra cautious as most of the route is through villages. People do cross the roads very often. So you cannot rip !

At Vaitheeswaran koil, if you want to eat in a decent vegetarian restaurant, I would suggest "Hotel Sadhabishegam" which seems to be the best in that area. ( Hotel sadhabishegam - home ). It is also good place to stay for those who do navagraha temples tour. The accomodation facilities are very good with adequate parking space. And the restaurant rates are also reasonable when compared to the quality of food they serve with other small hotels.

If you have time, don't miss to visit Sirgazhi which is just 10 kms away from Vaitheeswaran Koil.

Until next time,
-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Hi asdon,

I have been to Kotilingeswara temple couple of years back. I don't know the latest update on the route but would try to help you with whatever i remember. Sorry if anything is incorrect.

From Bangalore, you need to take Old Madras Road (NH4) and keep driving till you reach Kolar. After Kolar, If I remember correctly, you need to take a right turn, immediately after a railway gate and keep driving till Bangarpet Railway station. (Or ask the local people for route to reach Bangarpet Railway station). From Bangarpet Railway station, keep heading towards Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) route road. On the way in KGF road, you will see few government/defence (i don't remember the correct name now) offices on your left hand side. Once you see that, you need to ask for "Aalamara" (as they call it in kannada for Banyan Tree) bust stop where you need to take left turn. From there, the roads will be narrow and you can reach Kotilingeswara temple in 30 minutes or so driving at 40 kmph.

It took almost 3 to 4 hours for us to reach the temple from Bangalore and most of the time was spent on asking localites for the route.

Until next time,
-Ravi
Old 10th March 2008, 16:10   #10
BHPian

I had been there almost 15 years back when my uncle used to work in BEML (the govt agency that you mentioned). Alamara stop is where you get down to reach the BEML staff quarters. the road straight will lead you to Koti Linga and the road on right to the main town of KGF (Robertspet or something similar).

Is the temple complete now? (does it have 1 crore Lingas) ?
suvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
@srishiva,
Frame of reference for "south india" is karnal(near delhi).
Or everyplace south of Mumbai is "Madras" and by same logic everyone from such a place is "Madrasi"
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 16:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Or everyplace south of Mumbai is "Madras" and by same logic everyone from such a place is "Madrasi"

but seriously, when I was a kid, we were so ignorant, that South India for us was Madras and anyone from south was madrasi!
And masala dosa was something that was eaten using fork & knife

I still remember the day when I was supposed to land in bangalore for the first time, I was kind of afraid that how will I eat food here (as all i knew was that in south india you eat only masala dosa and idli ) with fork & knife.

thank god that I came here!
Old 10th March 2008, 19:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
I had been there almost 15 years back when my uncle used to work in BEML (the govt agency that you mentioned). Alamara stop is where you get down to reach the BEML staff quarters. the road straight will lead you to Koti Linga and the road on right to the main town of KGF (Robertspet or something similar).

Is the temple complete now? (does it have 1 crore Lingas) ?
When i went last, the kotilingeswara temple had approx. 87 lacs shiva lingas. Definitely, it will be more now, may be close to a crore.

Until next time,
-Ravi
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:33   #14
BHPian

For those who are looking for temples in and around kumbakonam, this website will be of good help.

Temples around Kumbakonam Temples of Tamilnadu

Another interesting link is there below. You will be amazed to see the number of temples listed in LHS in google maps with location/direction details. Click this link and zoom out twice.

Rajamala's Maps - Google Maps

-Ravi
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

ravib, thanks for the links, they are fantastic, especially the Rajmala's map. Definitely the best map to find your way around TN temples
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote