Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th October 2007, 18:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Day 2: Vijaywada - Cuttack - Baleshwar : 914km / 14hrs
Bypassin Tanuku-Alamuru and going thru Kovvur and hence saving 49km!
5am - 7pm
Ya I was about to suggest you that, not only it will save you 50kmbut also you get to cross the famous Rajahmundry bridge where there is a railway bridge under road bridge...

Quote:
Day 3: Baleshwar- Kharagpur-Siuri-Moregam-Siliguri : 739km / 14.5hrs
5am - 7:30pm
Try to make till Moregram very fast because Moregram to Siliguri will take a hell lot of time and being a biker you have to be very careful because the Ambys and the North Bengal buses are maniacs on this stretch...Take 8 hours for that...

Hence Pls start from Balasore as early as 4AM and make up the GQ very fast...

DarjeelingMore - Moregram will take you 3 hours...Hence plan for breakfast break at DarjeelingMore (lots of foodjoints selling puri-sabji, samosa, sweets, chai etc)

You can also enquire the Sonamukhi route in the morning (if good for a bike then take that)...

BTW, Are you going alone or with other bikers?
FYI, there is a Reliance pump on Siuri BP, you can have fillup there as well...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 19:36   #17
BHPian

Thanks again!
Going alone as of now, may be one or two will join in, but i wanna make sure only experienced ones join in..

yeah moregam to siliguri will be tough.. but i remember there was a 40-50km 4lane stretch in nov last yr.. donno how good that is now

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 28th October 2007 at 19:37.
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 07:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Some more updates about the route, adc did it recently
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/610225-post348.html

Pls PM adc for the NH34 route...

Abhi
Old 4th November 2007, 20:45   #19
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 3: Baleshwar- Kharagpur-Siuri-Moregam-Siliguri : 739km / 14.5hrs
5am - 7:30pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Some more updates about the route, adc did it recently
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/610225-post348.html

Pls PM adc for the NH34 route...

Abhi

Hey Bunny first of all best of success for this amazing bike tour. I just came up on this post today while searching sikkim.

As abhi rightly said I just recently went through this Panagarh - Moregram - Siliguri route.

So here are my observations.

Baleshwar to Siliguri you have calculated as 739 km, which brings in the doubt. Kolkata to Siliguri via Panagarh is 680 km.

The breakup:
Kolkata - Panagarh -169 km
Panagarh Ė Moregam Road - 150 km
Moregram to Siliguri - 361

And Baleshwar to Kolkata should be around 250, though not sure. So the distance of Baleshwar to Siliguri comes out to be 930 or approx 950 km.

So you see that a 1-stop journey to Siliguri is very much arduous if not impossible. I also understand you are on a bike [Karizma] - I had been a long distance biker till recently (on enfield and with modded seats since age 15/16], of course at around close to 35 years and with a kid now, I bid adieu to my biker days, just before I got my Safari, with a short trip to Mandarmani, near Digha.

The reason I say this that is to put forward the point that I do understand long distance biking and was also into more of a non-stop biking. But you know what till Panagarh is fine, lets suppose you face no problems and you ride fast and take the turn at Darjeeling More to Moregram.

Here the roads though wide has potholes but should be somewhat okay, and again this 150 km to Moregram should not be a problem, definitely considering you are not tired.

Now from Moregram starts the real story to Siliguri. This is a peculiar kind of road. I have gone over different kind of roads but this is what I call a "tiring" road. You have a barely 20-25 feet road and with "rushing" traffic and all kinds of traffic. Traffic is continuous, no break. Plus you find cattle, people drying rice or whatever on the road, with a log in front so that you donít get over it and then the sudden non-existence of road. Fork seals will surely be tested over here. The trucks, the long distance buses care about nothing and come up suddenly - very less to a Safari, a bike on those roads has no respect. Then the bridges are gone, the traffic is regulated over the bailey bridge that the army has done, one has to be lucky to not get stuck and I was lucky this time on both occasions. There are small stretches you are doing 120+ and bigger stretches you are doing less than 30 kmph.

After Malda, roads are worse. The 40-50 km four-lane that is there after Kishanganj is nothing. By that time you are tired and the time you make up is neglible.

If possible, do arrange the tour so that you take a break at Malda [preferably] or at max Raiganj/Dalkhola and then move directly to Gangtok. Hope you have noted that Siliguri to Gangtok is around 115 km or around 4 hrs of journey due to hill road.

Hope I have been able to put my point forward. I will be following your progress carefully and do let us know what route you decide finally.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 21:26   #20
adc
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Day 4: Riding into Phuntsholing (Bhutan)[/quote]

And from Siliguri to Phuntsholing is around 3.5 hrs and if you follow the Siliguri-Sevok-Bagrakot-Damdim-Chalsa Road then you gotta stop. It is so scenic with tea gardens first and then the drive through the forest.

The other road Siliguri - Jalpaiguri - Mainaguri road is mostly through towns and less of tea gardens.
Old 5th November 2007, 07:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
And Baleshwar to Kolkata should be around 250, though not sure. So the distance of Baleshwar to Siliguri comes out to be 930 or approx 950 km.
Dada, he is right about the distance, he will not travel via Kolkata, he will take a detour and continue on NH60 to reach DarjeelingMore, that distance is much shorter...
Pls read the full thread, you will come to know...

Abhi
Old 5th November 2007, 09:22   #22
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
he will take a detour and continue on NH60 to reach DarjeelingMore, that distance is much shorter...
Oh yes missed out that and back of mind sure I was making that mistake.

And the point stands that he has to save the max energy for the Moregram to Siliguri journey. It will be touch and go [the excitement is there itself] and definitely excluding the sudden 1-2 hours dharnas that are there on the NH34.

Again best of luck and success to him and will be following his progress closely.
Old 29th August 2009, 05:55   #23

Quote:
Hmm.. so Route 3 it is for me. I would love to ride peacefully over good roads than to slow down for traffic/bad roads or ride thru dangerous areas!

Guys, I am plannnig a Mumbai to Kolkata trip end of November and was looking at the Option 3 on Google. What about places to stop for sleeping, showering, and safe food?

Shantanu
Shantanu1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 17:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu1972 View Post
Guys, I am plannnig a Mumbai to Kolkata trip end of November and was looking at the Option 3 on Google. What about places to stop for sleeping, showering, and safe food?
Shantanu
Pls PM hvkumar ASAP. You will get road and social conditions of the stretch via Nagpur. He did it recently to Arunachal Pradesh.

Abhi
Old 29th August 2009, 22:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKSNorth East India, Bhutan & East-West Drive Apr 2009

Check out the detailed log book in the above link, which has full details of the route from Bombay to Calcutta.

NH3 from Bombay to Dhulia, via Igatpuri, Nashik, Malegaon
NH6 from Dhulia to Calcutta, via Jalgaon, Khamgaon, Akola, Amaravati, Nagpur, Bhandara, Raj Nandgaon, Raipur, Sambalpur, Keonjhar, Jashipur and Kharagpur.

To give you an update on road conditions in Apr 09 when I drove that route:
Bombay-Nashik: Double road complete most of the way. I am told that the ghat section between Kasara and Igatpuri is also now complete.
Nasik-Dhulia: Double road complete, except for some bad sections in Malegaon bypass.
Dhulia-Amaravati: Good roads most of the way
After Amaravati: Some bad road sections
Nagpur City: Bypass markings very poor, you will definitely miss it and go through city
Nagpur-CG border: Double road mostly complete
CG Border-Raipur: Moderately good road
Raipur-OR border: Double road under construction, good roads when I went
OR Border-Sambalpur-Keonjhar: Terrible roads
Keonjhar-Jashipur-JH border: Better roads, but several bad patches
JH: Worst roads
WB Border-Kharagpur: Very good roads
Kharagpur-Calcutta: Outstanding expressway, even Kolaghat bridge repair work did not create jams

Since then, one of our friends who drove Calcutta-Nagpur reports that the JH roads continue to be bad, but OR roads are repaired and good. However, CG roads have deteriorated a lot.

I don't know how fast you drive, but you can do it in 2 days if you are a fast driver, but may take even 2.5 if you are not.

I think you can easily do it to Nagpur on Day 1 (even Bhandara), and the next day, you can reach at least Jashipur, and Calcutta if you are fast.

Nagpur has lots of good hotels. Bhandara also has good hotels, but after that, the good hotels are only in Sambalpur. In Keonjhar, you have a good OTDC hotel. There is also a OTDC hotel in Jashipur.

Road facilities - petrol pumps, puncture shops - are good, but food facilities are poor.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 10:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was this topic about rosgullas

Just chalked out my trip..

Day 1 : Mum-HYD-Vijajwada
Day 2 : Vijaywada-baleshwar
Day 3 : Baleshwar- Siliguri
Day 4 : Enterin Bhutan..

PS : im used to high speed long distance riding on my Karizma and hence the above thing.. diggin in for more info.. special thanks to HVKumar
I don't know about day 1,2 and 4 but day 3 is not doable on a bike.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 10:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Sudipto, doing Baleshwar-Siliguri in a day on a bike (even assuming that you take shortcuts from Kharagpur via. Bishnupur to Durgapur) is very difficult.

Further, I don't know how fast you drive, but Day 1 also looks quite challenging for a bike. I would take at least 15 hours by car from Bom-Vijaywada.

Last edited by hvkumar : 31st August 2009 at 10:51.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 18:32   #28
BHPian

Sorry for bumping an old thread but has anyone done "Route 3" lately?

Road conditions? Accommodation?

And most importantly for me, is LPG freely available along the route as I have a gas car.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 22:33   #29
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai to Siliguri : Route Help

Quote:
Hi,

I will be riding up to Sikkim from Mumbai in end of November. Please help me with your inputs.
Route 1
Mumbai - Dhule : 330
Dhule - Bhopal : 434
Bhopal - Allahabad - Varanasi : 757
Varanasi - Patna : 245
Patna - Purnia (via NH31) : 302
Purnia - Siliguri : 170
TOTAL : 2238
Route 2
Mumbai - Dhule : 330
Dhule - Nagpur : 530
Nagpur - Raipur - Deogarh : 622
Deogarh - Kharghar - Kolkata : 426
Kolkata - Siliguri : 577
TOTAL : 2485
Route 3
Mumbai - Pune - HYD : 670
Hyd - Vijaywada- Cuttack : 1006
Cuttack - Kolkata : 388
Kolkata - Siliguri : 577
TOTAL : 2641
Route 1 : Bad roads, bad areas
Route 2 : Bad roads
Route 3 : Longest, but awesome roads till Kolkata.
Route 2 is not at all bad, at least in Orissa and West Bengal. Just a fortnight ago I have driven by this road, from Sambalpur to Calcutta. Barring only two or three KM of the (Kanjipani) Ghat section, the road is in nice shape and is very scenic too. The road also does not have much traffic. You only have to watch out for the innumerable speed breakers in Orissa. The distance is shorter too, although I am afraid I do not have much idea about the road condition west of Sambalpur.

IMHO, the only problem in taking this route is the total length the road (NH6) in the state of Jharkhand. Please never even think of entering Jharkhand by this road. I had also posted this earlier on this forum, right after the day of my arrival at Calcutta.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2624129

I have seen how the local people with private motor vehicles manage to avoid this Mumbai-Calcutta Road at Jharkhand and already posted it at the above link. In case you decide to take this route and need any further information, to avoid this bad stretch at Jharkhand, please let me know. However, I am afraid you will have to drive an additional 40 KM or so, just to bypass this very poorly maintained section.
Regards,
Rahul
Calcutta

Last edited by rahul4640 : 9th January 2012 at 22:43.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 03:22   #30
BHPian

Thanks for your help, Rahul. Any idea about availability of auto LPG along the route and in your parts in general?
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote