Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th January 2012, 08:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai to Siliguri : Route Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread but has anyone done "Route 3" lately?

Road conditions? Accommodation?

And most importantly for me, is LPG freely available along the route as I have a gas car.
To continue what Rahul said,
I would prefer Route 2 too.
But I would go all the way to Sambalpur and then take NH42 via Angul to Choudwar (just before Cuttack), where you join NH5. In Sambalpur, take the Ring Road to bypass the city. Angul can see some traffic snarls, but rest of the route is outstanding. Beware of jams in OR-WB border after Jaleswar.

Accomodation in many of the towns en route - from Bombay onwards, at Nashik, Malegaon, Dhulia, Jalgaon, Khamgaon, Akola, Amaravati, Nagpur, Bhilai, Durg, Raipur, Deograh, Sambalpur, Cuttack, Baleswar.

I have no idea about LPG pumps, but I don't recall seeing any.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 09:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
Any idea about availability of auto LPG along the route and in your parts in general?
I am sorry I do not have much idea about the LPG filling stations. But I think in eastern India they are available only in urban areas and not in the highways. And either they are lesser in numbers compared to other parts of the country or frequently the gas in those filling outlets remain unavailable for days. You may also have to stand in long queues in one of the those stations, waiting for gas. But as all auto rickshaws run on them, you may ask any auto rickshaw driver and he will be able to guide you to the nearest pump selling LPG fuel.

I welcome to be corrected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
OR Border-Sambalpur-Keonjhar: Terrible roads
Keonjhar-Jashipur-JH border: Better roads, but several bad patches
JH: Worst roads

Since then, one of our friends who drove Calcutta-Nagpur reports that the JH roads continue to be bad, but OR roads are repaired and good.
Respected HVK Sir,
You are correct. The NH6 in Orissa has been repaired extensively. And repairs are being carried out in the remaining few KMs west of Keonjhar town, where it is yet to be completed. Please allow me to show two or three photos of the highway in Orissa.
Mumbai to Siliguri : Route Help-441.jpg
Mumbai to Siliguri : Route Help-448.jpg
Kolkata is 317 KM, this milepost says.
Mumbai to Siliguri : Route Help-449.jpg
Regards,
Rahul
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 09:30   #33
BHPian

Thank you very much HVKumar and Rahul for the help :-)

I'll try to find out more about the LPG stations and post any useful information that I get.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 01:26   #34
BHPian

Rahul
Hi.
The road looks as good as any road and icing on the cake no traffic.
Which particular section is it?

Athani
Hi
Whichever route you decide please post your experience.Maybe I will follow in your 'car'steps.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 23:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77

Athani
Hi
Whichever route you decide please post your experience.Maybe I will follow in your 'car'steps.
Regards
Sure, I'll post all the details including gps logs. But there's still time yet. My trip is in April /May. Just doing the preliminary spade work digging for information.
Old 13th January 2012, 09:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
The road looks as good as any road and icing on the cake no traffic. Which particular section is it?
The first picture was taken at a place which was about 30-40 KM west of Keonjhar. The second was taken while I was approaching the small town of Bisoi. But although I do not remember where the third picture was taken by my daughter, the milestone approximates that it was taken somewhere west of Jashipur. And I am sure that all these three pictures were taken at Orissa, on NH 6 (Mumbai-Calcutta Road).
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 21:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Bangriposi - Bisoi too had a small ghat section. With some very tight turns, which articulated trucks had trouble negotiating. Invariably one would find one which had toppled.
That section has now been 'sanitised' so trucks don't have any problems, but has its charm.

Regards
Sutripta

PS: when you photograph a milestone, please try getting both sides, and the spine. It forms an useful record. And if you are using a GPS, record that as a waypoint.
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 23:50   #38
BHPian

Athani/Rahul
Thanks your reply.
I may do the journey earlier than april/may(was supposed to leave 15th Jan but due pending issues have postponed it).Let us see when can I leave,maybe 22nd Jan
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 00:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77
Athani/Rahul
Thanks your reply.
I may do the journey earlier than april/may(was supposed to leave 15th Jan but due pending issues have postponed it).Let us see when can I leave,maybe 22nd Jan
Regards
Hi. Did you do the journey? If yes, please share all the information that you can. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2015, 17:50   #40
BHPian

Bumping up this thread. Can some of the gurus please suggest the best route at this time, taking into consideration the rain and the current road conditions? Thanks much
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote