Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 10:51   #271
BHPian
 
venkyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hump city
Posts: 337
Thanked: 276 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I have had experiences wherein I have been sent to different places (during old times), based on the directions given by people. I think language is a barrier sometimes or the person may have misunderstood the destination
the real reason why sometimes "asking for directions" leads to trouble is because people are hesitant to say "I don't know, ask someone else" - once you stop your car and ask someone for directions, they feel obliged to give route directions & hence what we perceive as "solid local knowledge" may really be guesswork. But in my experience, they are all well meaning good samaritans and spend a lot of time explaining the route (multiple times), road conditions etc.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 08:40   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,713
Thanked: 961 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
the real reason why sometimes "asking for directions" leads to trouble is because people are hesitant to say "I don't know, ask someone else" - once you stop your car and ask someone for directions, they feel obliged to give route directions & hence what we perceive as "solid local knowledge" may really be guesswork. But in my experience, they are all well meaning good samaritans and spend a lot of time explaining the route (multiple times), road conditions etc.
Till date i have had good experiences with the locals while asking for directions. On many a occasion, they advised/cautioned me while taking a particular route. In my case i am comfortable asking them for route guidance when in doubt.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 13:07   #273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 372 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Till date i have had good experiences with the locals while asking for directions. On many a occasion, they advised/cautioned me while taking a particular route. In my case i am comfortable asking them for route guidance when in doubt.
+1 Totally agree.

I recollect which I read somewhere from one of GTO's post long back, In India, first GPS is roll down your windows and ask the locals and then rely on the GPS Devices

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 10:23   #274
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 141 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
See this post by Suresh and some of the following ones too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...amalai-14.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I will suggest the following route
Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur,Morappur, Harur, Thanipadi, T V Malai GH. After reaching T V Malai GH, ask for Gorimettu street. This small road leads you to Thirukkoilur by pass road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
These places are very much on google maps. Infact i had been on this stretch in the last week of december. Instead of totally relying on google maps I would recommend you to ask the locals if in doubt. I follow the same practice and it is safe. Sometimes google maps can mislead you
Ampere and Suresh, my friend successfully concluded his trip to Thirukoilure and Cuddalore, based on the inputs given by you. Though I have not asked for details, I believe he faced no issues anywhere. Given that he had just one day to travel and back, looks like he was not inclined to nit pick about the road conditions, or pass on some useful details back here. Many thanks on his behalf for your timely assistance. Much appreciated.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 27th January 2015 at 10:24.
bsdbsd is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 18:21   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,713
Thanked: 961 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Ampere and Suresh, my friend successfully concluded his trip to Thirukoilure and Cuddalore, based on the inputs given by you. Though I have not asked for details, I believe he faced no issues anywhere. Given that he had just one day to travel and back, looks like he was not inclined to nit pick about the road conditions, or pass on some useful details back here. Many thanks on his behalf for your timely assistance. Much appreciated.
Did your friend complete the trip in the same day ??

It must have been a tiring drive. Also did he find time to visit temples. Hope he has not missed Thiruvahindrapuram having gone to Cuddalore.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 16:04   #276
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 141 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Did your friend complete the trip in the same day ??

It must have been a tiring drive. Also did he find time to visit temples. Hope he has not missed Thiruvahindrapuram having gone to Cuddalore.
Sorry if I gave you that impression. He left on Saturday and came back on Sunday night. He could not visit the temples as well due to a marriage function, which was the primary reason to visit the region.

Given that he is not a frequent long distance driver (once in two years!), he was not excited about entire drive. He said everything was ok, and said many thanks to this community.
bsdbsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 11:52   #277
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Did Thiruvannamalai - Bangalore on way back from Pondicherry last Monday. Road from Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai is in bad shape at many places, the situation improves a bit once your cross Gingee.

From Thiruvannamalai took Harur - Morappur - Kadambarahalli - Karimangalam route to join NH 7. Road conditions are good, thought there is a good chance you may loose way. Advise to keep asking for directions to next town at each junction.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 12:04   #278
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,713
Thanked: 961 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did Thiruvannamalai - Bangalore on way back from Pondicherry last Monday. Road from Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai is in bad shape at many places, the situation improves a bit once your cross Gingee.

From Thiruvannamalai took Harur - Morappur - Kadambarahalli - Karimangalam route to join NH 7. Road conditions are good, thought there is a good chance you may loose way. Advise to keep asking for directions to next town at each junction.
How are the road conditions from T V Malai till Naripalli. I believe the roads are patched up unevenly thus making it a bumpy drive if one exceeds 60 kmph.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 14:07   #279
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How are the road conditions from T V Malai till Naripalli.
Yes there is road work going on at many places. We saw re-surfacing being done on this route. Also, there were few places where they were constructing medians.

However overall, there is nothing to worry about. Since it is a two lane road we were anyways keeping speed around 70 KMPH range.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 06:50   #280
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pondicherry
Posts: 20
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Hi all,
I am planning a drive from Pondicherry to Bangalore next week. The usual route I take is Vandavasi->Arcot->K'Giri which comes upto 375 kms with good roads throughout. Google Maps shows another alternative as TV'Malai->Harur->Karimangalam->K'Giri with a distance of 340 kms. Since the distance is less, I am tempted to take the latter. Can anyone advise on the road conditions? Is it worth taking this road?
ns94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 09:13   #281
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
. Google Maps shows another alternative as TV'Malai->Harur->Karimangalam->K'Giri with a distance of 340 kms
We took this route on way back from Pondicherry last month. Road conditions between Thindivanam and Thiruvannamallai is bad, unless you plan to visit Thiruvannamallai temple this is an option I would not suggest. You can check the road pics in my Pondicherry travelogue.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 09:57   #282
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pondicherry
Posts: 20
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
We took this route on way back from Pondicherry last month. Road conditions between Thindivanam and Thiruvannamallai is bad, unless you plan to visit Thiruvannamallai temple this is an option I would not suggest. You can check the road pics in my Pondicherry travelogue.
Thanks for the prompt reply
I would prefer Villupuram->Vettavalam-Thiruvannamalai....I am concerned about the parts between TV Malai and Karimangalam
ns94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 14:57   #283
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
am concerned about the parts between TV Malai and Karimangalam
Past Thiruvannamallai road condition is OK. There was resurfacing going on some ten KMs from Thiruvannamallai, else no issues.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 15:37   #284
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pondicherry
Posts: 20
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Thanks! How long does it take from TV Malai to Silk Board in this route while driving sedately (<=90kmph )
ns94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 15:57   #285
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,787
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Hi all,
I am planning a drive from Pondicherry to Bangalore next week. The usual route I take is Vandavasi->Arcot->K'Giri which comes upto 375 kms with good roads throughout. Google Maps shows another alternative as TV'Malai->Harur->Karimangalam->K'Giri with a distance of 340 kms. Since the distance is less, I am tempted to take the latter. Can anyone advise on the road conditions? Is it worth taking this road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
We took this route on way back from Pondicherry last month. Road conditions between Thindivanam and Thiruvannamallai is bad, unless you plan to visit Thiruvannamallai temple this is an option I would not suggest. You can check the road pics in my Pondicherry travelogue.
As @mpk said its just fine.

If its all about exploring a new route then by all means go ahead. But dont do Tindivanam/Gingee/Tiruvannamalai. But take the Villupuram/Thirukkoilur/Tiruvannamalai. Thats much better. As regards to the route beyond; Its fine till Harur via Thanipadi. Harare-Morappur is a wide 2-lane road with quite some twisties. Morappur-Karimangalam is a single lane good road.

If you are looking at an alternative road to reduce distance, this is not the one. Because the narrow 2-lanes will slow you down till Karimangalam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2539 5th December 2016 22:53
Chennai to Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries kiran Route / Travel Queries 24 11th February 2016 19:45
Bangalore Thiruvannamalai mogambo Travelogues 9 13th November 2007 09:20
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks