Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 31st October 2016, 10:13   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Any new updates on the route to Tiruvannamalai? I am planning to start at about 12 noon today. I usually take the Harur route but that gets a little too long and looking at some of the earlier posts, it seems the NH66 is not too bad these days. I definitely intend to try NH 66 atleast one way today (either via Mathur or Tirupattur). My preference would be via Mathur but if that is too bad i wouldn't mind the Tirupattur deviation. Ground clearance and a little rough roads should not be a problem (unless there are huge pot holes). I am driving my Aria which excels both in GC and suspension.

Advance thanks for a quick response
Shiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 06:50   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Any new updates on the route to Tiruvannamalai? I am planning to start at about 12 noon today.
Looks like a delayed reply to your query. You can go via Krishnagiri, Bargur, Titupattur, Singarapettai, Chengam to T V Malai. I drove till Chengam in the last week of May 2016 and the roads were very good to drive.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2016 at 08:38. Reason: Edited quoted content
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:31   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Any new updates on the route to Tiruvannamalai? I am planning to start at about 12 noon today. I usually take the Harur route but that gets a little too long and looking at some of the earlier posts, it seems the NH66 is not too bad these days. I definitely intend to try NH 66 atleast one way today (either via Mathur or Tirupattur). My preference would be via Mathur but if that is too bad i wouldn't mind the Tirupattur deviation. Ground clearance and a little rough roads should not be a problem (unless there are huge pot holes). I am driving my Aria which excels both in GC and suspension.

Advance thanks for a quick response
Took the usual shortest route from Bangalore to Tiruvannamalai. The roads are still not the best but have come a long way from what it used to be. There are rough patches intermittently till Chengam but it is motor-able for most parts. Road from Chengam to Tiruvannamali is brilliant (wide and good). Interestingly they were trying to bypass all the villages en-route which is a good thing. It took me 5.5 hours way up (with a 45min Lunch break) and 4.5 hours way back (with a 45 min dinner break).

In summary take this route as against the Harur route. You definitely save about an hour. I also did not see any road work happening, so i presume this is probably as good as it can get. It could also be that folks were off for the Diwali holidays but i travelled there on a Monday and Diwali was on a Saturday. One other thing - the Chengam bypass route has a new restaurant (poovika). Would recommend that place for a good break for food. Although it is a huge prominent place right on the main road, you could easily end up missing it because it is actually a ceramics store and the restaurant is a smaller complex attached to it.
Shiwik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote