Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th December 2007, 11:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

when in Bangalore I had TTK maps. Found them pretty good. Went to lots of places using A compass and the map.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 12:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

TTK also has district-wise maps
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 13:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@hvkumar, are the TTK district-wise maps available in print only or as downloads also?

TTK South India map I have is bad. While the roads are marked well, the position of places is bad. The name of the town will be printed, but no indication where exactly is the town. So unless you are familiar with the neighborhood of that town, you are as good as lost.

Checked maptell for one district. Not very happy with it. Only advantage is that they provide district-wise download-able maps. Also, Maptell does not have maps for all States.

Does anyone have details abt IMS, their web-site etc ?

Last edited by condor : 7th December 2007 at 13:33.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 13:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have seen only the printed maps of TTK and IMS. Dont thnk they have e-versions on their web-sites. The Maptell is OK, not very good qulaity, saw several roads missing. TTK has this tendency to omit roads and worse, misalign them.
Old 7th December 2007, 14:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Eicher Road Atlas is the best you'd get for India. Officially the Survey of India supplies data only to Eicher for public dissemination. All other maps are grey market maps... they are neither as accurate nor current.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 14:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

If only they'd made that Eicher all-India atlas a large-format book it would be brilliant. The pages are far too small.

On the other hand, their Chennai City Map was a major assistance in making the city my home, discovering much of the central area on foot, and escaping the clutches of auto drivers.

These days I have two: one for the house, one for the car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 14:53   #22
Team-BHP Support

Lonely planet comes with a map(all india, with cities and states and distt) which is in form of a book. Have used this pretty often
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 16:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Rex, what and where is IMS?
It's India Map Store.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 16:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Lonely planet comes with a map(all india, with cities and states and distt) which is in form of a book. Have used this pretty often
Can you please mention the exact title and ISBN for the Lonely planet map/book?

Regards
Rex
Old 11th December 2007, 20:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Eicher has started publishing State-wise maps - I picked up UP and Haryana today. Looks good, and prima facie I don't see the mistakes that are in the Eicher Road Atlas. The map space is really hotting up!
Old 11th December 2007, 21:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Arrow TTK State/ District wise maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@hvkumar, are the TTK district-wise maps available in print only or as downloads also?

TTK South India map I have is bad. While the roads are marked well, the position of places is bad. The name of the town will be printed, but no indication where exactly is the town. So unless you are familiar with the neighborhood of that town, you are as good as lost.
TTK has district wise map of every state, I picked up the Karnataka, TN and Kerla maps, distances, places, roads are OK. It's good enough to take you places.

In fact me and HVKumar tracked the routing of TN, Tanjore to Terichendur on this map. When I actually drove through, it turned out to be accurate.

--Ramky
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 10:23   #27
BHPian

You might also try the Survey of India maps. These might not be updated but have loads of information other than routes which is helpful out on the highway.
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 09:54   #28
BHPian

Where can I buy Survey of India maps? Are they available state-wise or they have just country-wide maps?

Regards
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
You might also try the Survey of India maps. These might not be updated but have loads of information other than routes which is helpful out on the highway.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:19   #29
BHPian

Hi Rex,

The Survey of India office is in Koramanagala after the BDA complex. The maps are state wise. Rgds Manoj
<Mods.. I had posted an earlier response which is not vivible. Pl delete if this is a duplicate. thanks>
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 22:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Eicher has started publishing State-wise maps - I picked up UP and Haryana today. Looks good, and prima facie I don't see the mistakes that are in the Eicher Road Atlas. The map space is really hotting up!
Dear hvkumar, thank you for your always valuable advice. From Bangalore, I plan to travel around Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu for short 2-3 day trips whenever time permits or on weekends. Please help me decide if I should go for Eicher Road Atlas/state wise maps or IMS state wise maps or are there other options? Thanks!
andescondor is offline   Reply With Quote