Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th November 2007, 21:48   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Mumbai - Napgur - via Pune OR via Nasik

Hi guys,
I am planning to do the Bombay - Nagpur road trip with wife and kids this weekend and need info on the latest conditions of the road.
last time i did this with a friend in March the conditions of road around Malegaon was really terrible and actually cost us about 2.5 hours extra on the journey because of ongoing road construction work!!

Can somebody please help with latest updates?

I sincerely hope things have improved on this stretch in nine months and hope to take a good memory out of this trip. FYI, i will be driving my Toyota Corolla H2.

Can somebody please provide detail route via Pune? and whether it is viable and better than via Nasik?

I am freaking out a bit as i am taking wife and kids along and want the drive to be as smooth and enjoyable as possible?

Any suggestions and ideas welcome! Please help !
M-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

On eof our freinds just returned from a round trip from Bombay to Nagpur. He took the Bombay-Talegaon (via Pune expressway)-Ahmednagar-Aurnagbad-Jalna-Khamgaon-Akola-Amaravathi-Nagpur route. There are some small bad sections (<20 kms) between Amaravthi and Nagpur but otherwise the roads are god and teh drive was fast. he was driving a Honda City and he said the car cut through some of tehse bad sections without any demur.

NO idea about teh current conditions on teh Bombay-Nasik-Malegaon-Dhulia-Jalgaon-Khamgaon route, but by now the road should be repaired, and once repiared typically this route is also good.

Maybe you should try going on Ahmedanagr on onward and return via Dhulia on return.

I am not sure how fast you drive, but doing the trip in one day is only for very fast drivers. Ideally, drive to Ahmednagar/Dhulia on Day 1 afternoon-late evening and take the second section on day 2.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 13:24   #3
BHPian

Any updates on what is the "best" road? M-Oz, did you go to Nagpur? How are the conditions?

Does anyone else have an idea of what to expect?

Superavi
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 16:01   #4
BHPian

Bump - the trip is next week, any tips will be really useful.

Superavi
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 21:50   #5
BHPian

Thumbs up

Hey guys, Didn't do the trip in Nov. but did it this Jan.
7th Jan - BBY - NAG and 12 th Jan NAG - BBY
While going i took the BBY - PUNE (via expressway) -Chakan - Ahmednagar - Aurangabad - Jalna - Karanje (bypass) - Yavatmal - Wardha - Nagpur.
the road is EXCELLENT!! Almost four lane all through except for certain patches between Aurangabad & Jalna where the roads are rough. We left BBY at 5.30 pm and reached Nagpur at 8.30 am next morning driving comfortably at 110 - 120 all the time all through the night. Just take this into consideration. i was driving with my friends. One of my friends father boarded the Vidarbha Express from Dadar the same day as us. the train left at 7 pm and reached Nagpur at 9 am. We were there at the station to receive his father in Nagpur. We did the entire stretch in 15 hours.
While returning we left at 4 am in the morning from Nagpur and took the same route and reached BBY (Vashi) at 6.45 pm but got delayed in traffic in BBY and reached Bandra at 8.30 pm. We lost some time at Aurangabad also due to heavy city traffic.
We met some other roadies who advised taking the Wardha - Pulgaon route rather than Yavatmal which would have saved us 20 - 25 kms more!!
But guys after my first nightmare trip to Nagpur last Apr - this one was like a cakewalk!! EXCELLENT ROADS - FANTASTIC DRIVE!! Loved it!! Would do it again very soon!! Good Luck to you!!
M-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 16:29   #6
manukale

Arrow nice road!! just one modification..

This Diwali (Oct'08) had been to Nagpur through the Aurangabad - Jalna - Mehekar- Karnja - Pulgaon - Wardha route. Whilw going to Nagpur, had been through Jalna-SindkhedRaja (total 30 km). This stretch is bad!! So while returning from Nagpur, came upto sindkhedRaja then took right arm towards DeolgaonRaja (13 kms) & then reached Jalna (23 km=total 36 km). THe DeolgaonRaja to Jalna road is not so good, but better than Jalna-SindhkhedRaja road (mainly - worth additional 6 kms, at the cost of the vehicle & driver's patience).