Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th November 2007, 20:04   #1
BHPian

Default Query - Bangalore to Chilaka Lake (Orissa)

All,

Planning to drive from Bangalore to Chilaka Lake in the last week of December '07 (me, wifey and son in a Swift VDI).

I have 10 - 12 days for this trip.

If anyone has information on the route/places to stay, please let me know.

Plan to visit Rajahmudry/Vizag also on the way back.

Regards
Ravi.
iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 09:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

You require to go through the entire thread iridium

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-kolkata.html (Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata)

There is a right turn at Rambha (signboards of Chilka lake and some hotels are also there) to reach Chilika Lake. If I am not wrong, there was a right turn from Balugaon as well.

Pls let us know your exact plan. Gopalpur-on-sea is another nice place to stay. Plus you can have ferryride (with your car) from Krishnaprasad island in chilika to Puri. If we can know your plan, then we can chalk out a nice itenary for you to explore.

Pls Kumar ji's log book of this ride where you can see the exact turnoffs.
Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 18:46   #3
BHPian

I don't have any specific plan. Am open to suggestions.

I have vacation starting from Dec 21, 07 till Jan 01, 08.

Regards
Ravi.
iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 21:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have driven to Chilka Lake - lovely place. I did it from North-South, from Puri to Satapada, which is one edge of the lake. Lovely Orissa Tourism hotel there facing the lake. Have had breakfast there, no idea how good or bad the rooms are.

In and around Satapada, you can go dolphin-watching, etc. (in a boat ride). You can board a ferry from Satapada to Krishna Prasad Island (lovely 45 minute ride, although very expensive Rs 300 for the car) an ddrive on some small causeway roads through the Lake area till you touch NH5 after Rambha, as Abhi mentioned.

Since you are coming from South side, you can do the reverse, except that you may have to wait forthe ferry for 1-2 hours, depending on departure times.

You can PM me for a log book of this route.

Vizag is also a nice place, please remember to turn off NH5 to take the coastal route via Bhimunipatnam (North-South) - around 20 kms before Vizag, you have to takje this road. You also pass the Rushikonda beach on that route. And there is a lovely AP Tourism hotel on the hill overlooking Rushikonda Beach. Please check ou the AP Tourism site for details. Abhi stayed in some hotel in Vizag, you have the details in his link.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 21:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can cover the temples at Mangalagiri (after Guntur), Annavaram (near Tuni), Simhachama (near Vizag) and the Vizag beaches (Rushikonda especially), besides Gopalpur-on-Sea (lovely unspoilt beach), besides Chilka, Puri, Konarak and Bhuubaneswar. If you have more time, you can also try Arakku Valley (never been there, cannot personally comment) off Vizag, which I am told is a lovely place.
Old 30th November 2007, 10:41   #6
rkg
Senior - BHPian

araku was a beautiful place. it would be better to go there in train and comeback by bus. one can see the valleys , coffee plantations etc. further the borra caves are very good.(around 100 km from vizag, araku is 120 km) borra caves are on the way.
if you can make it to vizag in one day ( 5 am at bangalore and 9 pm at vizag) next day you can leisurely go to chilka after visiting some good places in between. if you are religiously inclined you can visit
1.arasaville at srikakulam town ( sun temple- very famous in these areas. once in every year during january on saptami day( lunar calender) sun rays fall on the main deity's feet crossing six/seven doors. nearly 1000 year old
2. sri mukhalingam
3 sri kurmum - only temple dedicated to vishnu's reincarnation as tortoise
futher there are buddist sites dating back to early christian era at salihundam and other places
all these places are with 20 km radius of srikakulam town on NH5.
visit AP tourism site for further details
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 10:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You can cover the temples at Mangalagiri (after Guntur), Annavaram (near Tuni), Simhachama (near Vizag) .
Sorry for typo, it is Simhachalam, near Vizag.