Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 00:40   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
Anyone travelled this route in the recent past? Plan to travel to mangalore on 25th dec...leave mumbai at 4am..just update on road condition required
Best time to start is around 3 am so that you cross most cities on the GQ and enter Dharwad by 9 or 10 am max. You can stop at Ankola for lunch around 2 pm.
Heard the roads between Ankola and Bhatkal are really bad at some stretches. It advisable to do these stretches before sunset , which is possible only if you start around 3 am from Mumbai.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 07:05   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,614
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
Anyone travelled this route in the recent past? Plan to travel to mangalore on 25th dec...leave mumbai at 4am..just update on road condition required
between kundapur and baleguli cross (turn off towards yellapur-hubli)roads are bad at many places.you would need to take it slow.better to go via nh4 hubli pune mumbai than via nh17 which would be a time consuming affair
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 10:59   #33
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 859
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Best time to start is around 3 am so that you cross most cities on the GQ and enter Dharwad by 9 or 10 am max. You can stop at Ankola for lunch around 2 pm.
Heard the roads between Ankola and Bhatkal are really bad at some stretches. It advisable to do these stretches before sunset , which is possible only if you start around 3 am from Mumbai.
Mumbai to Dharwad in 6 ~ 7 hours - close to 600 kms = average 80 kmph+ !!

3AM start in the morning will mean you'll be hitting foggy conditions from Lonavla, Pune upto Satara...

You'll face problems only while crossing Pune (between Ravet and new Katraj Tunnel), and at all the entry / exit points at Kohlapur on NH4 besides carrying vehicles (bullock carts, tractor trailers, trucks et al) near Satara, Kohlapur.

Once you cross Kolhapur, there won't much problem till Hubli by-pass. Get down to Karwar Road and you should be in Ankola by evening.

So tentatively it will be like breakfast after Pune, lunch near Belgaum and sundown at Ankola.

NH 17 between Ankola and Mangalore - work is going on and the road is good and bad in places. Driving in the night will be tiresome.

Take a look at this thread and PM member who could have done the trip but not shared his experiences -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ia-nashik.html (Mangalore - Ankleshwar via Nashik)
vrprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 11:35   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Mumbai to Dharwad in 6 ~ 7 hours - close to 600 kms = average 80 kmph+ !!

3AM start in the morning will mean you'll be hitting foggy conditions from Lonavla, Pune upto Satara...

You'll face problems only while crossing Pune (between Ravet and new Katraj Tunnel), and at all the entry / exit points at Kohlapur on NH4 besides carrying vehicles (bullock carts, tractor trailers, trucks et al) near Satara, Kohlapur.

Once you cross Kolhapur, there won't much problem till Hubli by-pass. Get down to Karwar Road and you should be in Ankola by evening.

So tentatively it will be like breakfast after Pune, lunch near Belgaum and sundown at Ankola.

NH 17 between Ankola and Mangalore - work is going on and the road is good and bad in places. Driving in the night will be tiresome.

Take a look at this thread and PM member who could have done the trip but not shared his experiences -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ia-nashik.html (Mangalore - Ankleshwar via Nashik)

Well . We do it this way . My rule is to plan my drives such that I dont have to drive beyond sunset .

Yeah , you encounter fog on certain stretches , but it has never been so bad that you cannot drive .

Most biker traffic that I have encountered is till satara if you start late.

About doing Dharwad in 7 hours , I think even B9Rs do it in similar times these days . The last drive I did , we stuck to 100-110 kph and reached belgaum in 6- 6.5 hours . Again , that depends on what time you start . We always start at 3 am from Mumbai and reach Mangalore between 6 to 7 pm .


And yeah , I agree on no night driving on the NH17 . Just not advisable especially when you are nearly exhausted after driving 800 kms since morning .

But on the return journey , we usually start later , around 6 am as there is oncoming mangalore bound traffic early in the morning . I dont mind driving in the dark on the way back to mumbai as there is no oncoming traffic after Dharwad.Also , the return timings are usually longer.

Last edited by speedsatya : 20th December 2013 at 11:37.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 12:44   #35
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 859
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
1. Well . We do it this way .

2. My rule is to plan my drives such that I dont have to drive beyond sunset .

3. Yeah , you encounter fog on certain stretches , but it has never been so bad that you cannot drive .

4. Most biker traffic that I have encountered is till satara if you start late.

5. About doing Dharwad in 7 hours , I think even B9Rs do it in similar times these days .
1. I understand how the handle originated. Was it the Zen or some other car?

2. I learnt this at a great cost - still continue long journeys after sunset (occasionally though).

3. Depends on how aware of the route you are and the traffic. Near Khandala with slow moving trucks, I prefer to be cautious. Same near Shirwal Ghat.

4. Crisscrossing takes places near all the (four?) entry exit points at Kolhapur.

5. B9Rs are a different story altogether. On one trip, it was done by them - from Mangalore to Pune - in about 11 hours - with two halts (Ankola and Nippani).

I wanted to add -

a. Petrol used to be expensive in Karnataka - I used to tank up at Kolhapur (pound foolish and pennywise? )

b. After Dharwad / Hubli till Ankola there are no good places to eat - except for the one at Yellapur.

c. Instead of going via Hubli, can also opt for Belgaum - Kittur - Haliyal - Yellapur.

d. Some stretches near Kumta, Honavar, Bhatkal are always in a bad shape.

e. If there is no necessity to reach Mangalore, overnight halt can be made at Kumta / Bhatkal / Kundapur to finish the leg early next day.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 23:31   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
1. I understand how the handle originated. Was it the Zen or some other car? 2. I learnt this at a great cost - still continue long journeys after sunset (occasionally though). 3. Depends on how aware of the route you are and the traffic. Near Khandala with slow moving trucks, I prefer to be cautious. Same near Shirwal Ghat. 4. Crisscrossing takes places near all the (four?) entry exit points at Kolhapur. 5. B9Rs are a different story altogether. On one trip, it was done by them - from Mangalore to Pune - in about 11 hours - with two halts (Ankola and Nippani). I wanted to add - a. Petrol used to be expensive in Karnataka - I used to tank up at Kolhapur (pound foolish and pennywise? ) b. After Dharwad / Hubli till Ankola there are no good places to eat - except for the one at Yellapur. c. Instead of going via Hubli, can also opt for Belgaum - Kittur - Haliyal - Yellapur. d. Some stretches near Kumta, Honavar, Bhatkal are always in a bad shape. e. If there is no necessity to reach Mangalore, overnight halt can be made at Kumta / Bhatkal / Kundapur to finish the leg early next day.
the handle has nothing to do with it ! I never exceed 100 -120 kph till Dharwad where you take the bypass to kalghatki.
Like is said earlier , no matter how well I know the road , I never drive beyond 6 pm on a long drive. And on a busy road like the NH17 , doesn't make sense to take chances with so many blind curves on it.

Bhatkal for some reason has never been very confidence inspiring for overnight stays. We have seen jaywalkers purposely come in front of non - KA registered cars , we have seen bikers purposely try and ride close to vehicles. We had heard of stone throwing in the night at vehicles , till one day I read about an incident where a B9R had its windows shattered in a similar incident. Then i got to know from one B9R driver that this stretch is notorious for such incidents.

Kumta and Ankola were 2 places where we had stayed overnight , but then it's a risk hoping to find accommodation in these places( most of the times , you do find them ). If really delayed , I would suggest stopping over at Hubli and start early morning around 6 am

BTW , we are planning to take the Mumbai - Davangere - Shimoga - Agumbe - Mangalore route the next time.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 00:49   #37
BHPian
 
docaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 133
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Thanx buddies. My idea of getting the road condition was to decide which car to take. We are three guys and have innova v, swift ZDi and jetta at so which car do you suggest on the present condition of roads
docaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 12:07   #38
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 859
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
Thanx buddies. My idea of getting the road condition was to decide which car to take. We are three guys and have innova v, swift ZDi and jetta at so which car do you suggest on the present condition of roads
Innova is the best bet from the comfort point of view. Swift will give you the best drive (Shirwal Ghat, Tawandi Ghat @ Belgaum and Hubli - Karwar Road upto Ankola). How does the Jetta handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Bhatkal for some reason has never been very confidence inspiring for overnight stays. We have seen jaywalkers purposely come in front of non - KA registered cars , we have seen bikers purposely try and ride close to vehicles. We had heard of stone throwing in the night at vehicles , till one day I read about an incident where a B9R had its windows shattered in a similar incident. Then i got to know from one B9R driver that this stretch is notorious for such incidents.

Kumta and Ankola were 2 places where we had stayed overnight , but then it's a risk hoping to find accommodation in these places( most of the times , you do find them ).

BTW , we are planning to take the Mumbai - Davangere - Shimoga - Agumbe - Mangalore route the next time.
Thanks for the tip - in fact had traveled thrice - well past midnight - through Bhatkal. Will keep it in mind.

Yes - at Kumta and Ankola you have to go into the town for accommodation. Won't Murudeshwara be better? (R N Shetty?)

Please update after the trip on your proposed route. Atleast a PM. Because wanted to try it out. After reaching Calicut, did not want to return to Mangalore. Instead did this : Calicut - Waynad - Nagarhole - Mysore - Tumkur - Davengere - Hubli - Pune.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 23:55   #39
BHPian
 
docaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 133
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Thanx for the input guys, will be leaving on 25th at 4am and will be driving my jetta , will post reviews once am back
docaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 14:55   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

What is the update on the road conditions?
@vrprabhu: We had visited Murudeshwar a couple of years back. The last 30-40KM were horrible. Never seen such bad roads. I really hope the authorities have fixed that.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 15:43   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,614
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the update on the road conditions?
@vrprabhu: We had visited Murudeshwar a couple of years back. The last 30-40KM were horrible. Never seen such bad roads. I really hope the authorities have fixed that.
Roads are good now,some bad sections and diversions between kundapura and mangalore.IMO,the road would go bad only in June now
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 21:58   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 224
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Hi docaxe, how was your drive down and back in the jetta how did it handle NH17 would like to know. thanks.
hubolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 00:37   #43
BHPian
 
docaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 133
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Hi docaxe, how was your drive down and back in the jetta how did it handle NH17 would like to know. thanks.

I did this ride premonsoon in May last week it was a breeze from mumbai till u reach bhatkal from there on it was tiring the car handled amazingly well. Now with the monsoon set in the roads must have worsened... Not worth the drive right now
docaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:57   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,614
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Hi docaxe, how was your drive down and back in the jetta how did it handle NH17 would like to know. thanks.

If you are looking for road conditions then honnavar onwards till you reach kundapur its quite sad.


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 13:00   #45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune/Manchester
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

I would be travelling to Managalore from Pune with wifey on 5th Dec.
Its going to be an early morning (~4am) start in a Alto K10.

Need some guidance on which route to take for Managalore after I cross Belgaum.
1) Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Ankola-Bhatkal-Udipi-Managalore (heard not so good stories of manic mining trucks around Ankola)
2) Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Ranebennur-Kundapur-Udipi-Managalore (no idea on this one)
3) Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Ranebennur-Shimogar-Karkala-Managalore (no idea on this one either)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
RabidBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lunch Meet - Thane - Kashid - Thane egangsta The Team-BHP Meet Section 427 16th February 2011 15:24
Thane - Shirdi - Thane vij4all Travelogues 7 10th January 2011 22:32
Thane - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa - Thane vij4all Travelogues 17 30th August 2010 18:51
Thane - Goa - Thane - An Idyllic Run ! Guderian Travelogues 9 15th April 2008 12:03
Mumbai-Mangalore-Bangalore-Mangalore-Mumbai trip sumitdongerkery Travelogues 4 17th October 2006 14:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks