Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:57   #181
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

^^ Amit, I am planning to stay at Madikeri on 29th & 30th. Sure, can have a quick meet @ Coorg cuisinette. Just that need google maps help to find out where Coorg cuisinette is.
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 17:07   #182
BHPian
 
polopm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 435
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Team

Me and my friends with families are planning to visit Coorg in the last week of May. The travel will be from Chennai on two cars - Vento and Dzire.
The questions to all you gurus are :
1. Is it a good time or will it be hot !
2. Can I cover this distance Chennai-Coorg in one day flat ?
3. What are the best options for stay - we are looking to rent 3 rooms( 3 families - 2 kids). I dont need Orange County kind of resorts that will burn a hole in my pocket.
4. Is three days good enough to spend at Coorg.
5. How are the roads, will the Vento / Dzire be able to handle it ?

Thanks !
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 18:12   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 3,473 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Team

Me and my friends with families are planning to visit Coorg in the last week of May. The travel will be from Chennai on two cars - Vento and Dzire.
The questions to all you gurus are :
1. Is it a good time or will it be hot !
2. Can I cover this distance Chennai-Coorg in one day flat ?
3. What are the best options for stay - we are looking to rent 3 rooms( 3 families - 2 kids). I dont need Orange County kind of resorts that will burn a hole in my pocket.
4. Is three days good enough to spend at Coorg.
5. How are the roads, will the Vento / Dzire be able to handle it ?

Thanks !
polopm,

1. It will be hot this time of the year, and it will mostly be dry. Hot mornings and even hotter afternoons are usually followed by some evening showers. Temperature will be in the higher 30s. Fauji was saying it has started raining now in the western ghats, perhaps he can give more elaborate details on the recent weather there.

2. Yes, you can cover Chennai - Bangalore in 4-5 hours, stop here for lunch and then do the remaining distance in another 5-6 hours. Note that the total distance will be roughly 600km, so if you are bringing family/kids along, you may want to reconsider doing it in a single day if 600km sounds stressful for them (can stop over at Bangalore/Mysore in that case).

3. There are various homestays in coorg to fit different budgets. Perhaps you can consider staying at a coffee estate homestay to experience the true feel of coorg greenery. this site might be useful to narrow down your choice
Home Stay Kodagu - Home Stays

4. 3 days are more than enough for Coorg. You can cover most important waterfalls and other sightseeing spots in and around Madikeri and Talakaveri. In fact, even after covering everything, you will be left with lots of free time for chit-chatting and playing around.

5. Roads are good all the way upto Madikeri. Only the last 30-40km when approaching Madikeri (the ghat section) seems to be a little bumpy and patchy, but it is nothing to worry about.

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th April 2012 at 18:23.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 18:39   #184
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore -> Coorg
Posts: 359
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
polopm,

1. It will be hot this time of the year, and it will mostly be dry. Hot mornings and even hotter afternoons are usually followed by some evening showers. Temperature will be in the higher 30s. Fauji was saying it has started raining now in the western ghats, perhaps he can give more elaborate details on the recent weather there.

2. Yes, you can cover Chennai - Bangalore in 4-5 hours, stop here for lunch and then do the remaining distance in another 5-6 hours. Note that the total distance will be roughly 600km, so if you are bringing family/kids along, you may want to reconsider doing it in a single day if 600km sounds stressful for them (can stop over at Bangalore/Mysore in that case).

3. There are various homestays in coorg to fit different budgets. Perhaps you can consider staying at a coffee estate homestay to experience the true feel of coorg greenery. this site might be useful to narrow down your choice
Home Stay Kodagu - Home Stays

4. 3 days are more than enough for Coorg. You can cover most important waterfalls and other sightseeing spots in and around Madikeri and Talakaveri. In fact, even after covering everything, you will be left with lots of free time for chit-chatting and playing around.

5. Roads are good all the way upto Madikeri. Only the last 30-40km when approaching Madikeri (the ghat section) seems to be a little bumpy and patchy, but it is nothing to worry about.
Temperature wont be in the high 30's. It will be around the 30' mark during the day time, but since the hills are at a higher altitude, the heat would be more. After 4pm the hills will cool down.

The website you mentioned lists over a 100 homestays. Its always best to stay at a known place.

The roads are good all the way upto Madikeri town. The bumpy roads start inside town limits.
princezahed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 07:47   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 3,473 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Temperature wont be in the high 30's. It will be around the 30' mark during the day time, but since the hills are at a higher altitude, the heat would be more. After 4pm the hills will cool down.
Thanks for the correction princezahed. Perhaps I should have rephrased it as "feels like higher 30s".

Quote:
The website you mentioned lists over a 100 homestays. Its always best to stay at a known place.
He had not mentioned any budget yet so I gave the complete site for him to look at, based on his budget and location choice. If you are aware of any good homestays in this region, do suggest to polopm. I have previously stayed at chirpy haven and golden mist plantation, both were superb.

Quote:
The roads are good all the way upto Madikeri town. The bumpy roads start inside town limits.
The ghat section ascent was a bit bumpy when we did it in a sedan 2 months ago. Thanks for updating the recent conditions.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 11:49   #186
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

How are the roads between Madikeri town & TalaCauvery? Can be done in a Ritz (petrol) ?
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 12:21   #187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 398
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
How are the roads between Madikeri town & TalaCauvery? Can be done in a Ritz (petrol) ?
It can be done easily with out any difficulties at all. The road between Madikeri and Tala Cauvery is decent and nothing to worry

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 16:17   #188
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

So who all are going to Coorg this weekend ?
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 17:21   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 550 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
How are the roads between Madikeri town & TalaCauvery? Can be done in a Ritz (petrol) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
It can be done easily with out any difficulties at all. The road between Madikeri and Tala Cauvery is decent and nothing to worry
The Madikeri-Bhagamandala stretch was a bit rough when I travelled last about 6 months ago, and a nephew of mine mentioned that it had become somewhat worse when he travelled that way last month. Not sure if they have done any repairs after that.

But the road isn't generally terrible (some of other the secondary/tertiary roads in Coorg district are in much worse condition), so you should be able to negotiate it in a Ritz as long as you drive slow.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 18:15   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,210
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
How are the roads between Madikeri town & TalaCauvery? Can be done in a Ritz (petrol) ?
I did this route a month back in my Linea. Nothing to worry. The roads are good.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:45   #191
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 745
Thanked: 198 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Am planning a Hyderabad - Mysore - Coorg trip. Can you enlighten me on route, attractions, accommodation etc. How about the temperatures in Coorg.

Also suggest a return route - I do not want to travel the same route.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 17:36   #192
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,416
Thanked: 1,536 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself
Am planning a Hyderabad - Mysore - Coorg trip. Can you enlighten me on route, attractions, accommodation etc. How about the temperatures in Coorg.

Also suggest a return route - I do not want to travel the same route.
You dont have an option with routes.its the same route up and down.coorg would be warm howevet since its been raining for the past couple of days temp would have come down a bit.hyd blr mysore hunsur madikeri is the route.shamshabaf to hebbal is 8hrs.fromn there to madikeri anothr 5 hours.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 11:42   #193
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 102
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

I did Coorg in Alto on 6th, 7th and 8th April - Good Friday weekend. The road in Coorg that goes to TalaCauvery was getting repaired (near HP petrol bunk) for about a kilometer or so.

The roads till Talcauvery are not bad and can be done in Ritz without problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
How are the roads between Madikeri town & TalaCauvery? Can be done in a Ritz (petrol) ?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:19   #194
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 721 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Driving down from Udupi to Coorg in the first week of June. Would appreciate if someone could suggest best routes.
harishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:22   #195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Coorg recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Driving down from Udupi to Coorg in the first week of June. Would appreciate if someone could suggest best routes.
Where in Coorg? Assuming its Madikeri, it would be Udupi-Mangalore-Puttur-Sullia-Madikeri.

Prasad (RamP!)
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue Twinn Travelogues 18 28th June 2016 21:01
Any recommendations for Maruti Dealer in Bangalore? srikat Indian Car Dealerships 14 3rd September 2009 10:10
Any recommendations for Maruti Dealer in Hyderabad/Sec'Bad? skmami Indian Car Dealerships 3 2nd April 2008 18:57
Recommendations for Installer(s) in Delhi WoodenKnight In-Car Entertainment 16 17th April 2007 12:17
Recommendations for a 4WD satie SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 29 3rd March 2007 21:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks