Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th November 2013, 11:30   #211
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
I'm leaving to Shirdi from Bangalore at 6pm tonite. As I understand the there are two road options,
Bangalore --> Pune --> Nagar --> Shirdi and
Bangalore --> Satara --> Baramati --> Nagar --> Shirdi
As I understand the road from Satara to Pune is in a bad condition, so do I take the Baramati route? I plan to drive till Shirdi as I have another person in the car to drive along with me. I shall be travelling in SX4.
I plan to visit Shani Shignapur on the way back to Bangalore, how long might the darshan take if I visit around 7 in the morning?
Its still better to take the 4-lane all the way to Pune. Dont take the road via Baramati/Daund. You dont gain any distance. Be aware road around Shirdi are quite bad. If you plan to break for night some where, the on your drive the next day you can visit Shani Shignapur on the way to Shirdi.

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2013 at 11:31.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 12:37   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its still better to take the 4-lane all the way to Pune. Dont take the road via Baramati/Daund. You dont gain any distance. Be aware road around Shirdi are quite bad. If you plan to break for night some where, the on your drive the next day you can visit Shani Shignapur on the way to Shirdi.
Ok, so I will take the Pune Road. I don't plan to take a break. Will visit Shani Shignapur on Saturday on my way back. Thanks Ampere
manojgautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:34   #213
BHPian

We travel to Shirdi every year in a large group and hence take the train to Kopargaon, tempo to Shirdi and return the same way to Bangalore. With Railways reducing advance booking to 60 days and tickets are becoming unavailable even on Day 1 (lots of rumours Railways themselves make only few available on line, bulk being kept back for Tatkal), we are tempted to take the road next trip after reading all the posts here.

Another thing; MSTDC Hotel at Shirdi; we were patronising this regularly; then the State Government decided to privatise and the upkeep has become really so so :( Yes restaurant was still ok last year too with some familiar faces still there. There are new hotels coming up almost every month; one we tried last time was Sai Palace Budget hotel; pretty decent and right behind the Udipi eating place and fairly close to temple. Any other new and good property in Shirdi in range of Rs2 to 2.5K per night?

This time plan to fly to Pune and then hire a tempo traveller (group size has become 12); anyone knows a good travel agency in Pune for hiring Innovas or Tempo traveller? Would be grateful for contact info. How long does it take in a private vehicle to reach Shirdi from Pune? Does it matter what time of day we leave Pune? We can then plan our flight to Pune accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:57   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
How long does it take in a private vehicle to reach Shirdi from Pune? Does it matter what time of day we leave Pune? We can then plan our flight to Pune accordingly. Thanks in advance.
Its about 200km. Takes about 4 hours. It's good four lane for about 160km. The road though four lane is very much like mysore road. Hence traffic is quite slow progress.

The last 20km are quite pathetic.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2013 at 13:59.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 12:13   #215
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am planning a trip to Shirdi from Bangalore and cover the entire stretch in a day. Being the single driver, please suggest

1)the best route to Shirdi from Bangalore
2) Stop overs for Breakfast and Lunch (plan to have dinner at Shirdi upon reaching there)
3) Can we reach Shirdi in 12Hrs if we start from Bangalore around 4.00AM including stopovers for breakfast and lunch?
If not, what will be a good place and hotel to take a break and then resume towards Shirdi early next morning?
4) My ride - All new Honda City - Please let me know of any bad roads along the route to avoid due to its low GC.

Look forward to suggestions.

Cheers,
Kiran
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 13:03   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
1)the best route to Shirdi from Bangalore
Stick to the usual route: Bangalore-Pune (via NH4)-Swargate-Shankarsheth Road-Sholapur Road-Kharadi Bypass-Wagholi-Nagar Road-Amnadnagar-Shirdi
Quote:
2) Stop overs for Breakfast and Lunch (plan to have dinner at Shirdi upon reaching there)
Since you want to do this in a single stretch and myself having regularly done Bangalore-Ahmadnagar-Aurangabad, I would strongly suggest a very early departure between 3 and 4AM.
This will ensure you will cover maximum distance before the highway wakes up.
Assuming you start at 4am, your first stop for Breakfast can be at Kamat (~380kms) which is on the right hand side, around 20 kms before Hubli.
In case you are delayed, there is another Kamat at Ranebennur (~300kms) and CCD at Shiggaon (~360kms) - Both on the left hand side.

For lunch, if you are not too particular about Non-Veg, you can easily cross Kolhapur and stop by Vittal Kamat just before Karad (~640 kms).

Again, if you are delayed, then Belgaum has Sankam Residency (~500 Kms) and Kolhapur had McD as well as CCD (~610 kms).

Depending on your tank's range, you could refuel at COCOs after Maharashtra or even after Dharwad if your range is less.

Would advise another break in the evening after bypassing Pune at Smile-Stone before Ahmadnagar.
Quote:
3) Can we reach Shirdi in 12Hrs if we start from Bangalore around 4.00AM including stopovers for breakfast and lunch?
Very easily - Have answered this question above - Ensure you have a very early start. A delay would mean you taking super long time crossing Pune as you will reach here during peak evenings. 4AM start will help you cross Pune between 4 and 5PM when traffic will be saner.
Quote:
If not, what will be a good place and hotel to take a break and then resume towards Shirdi early next morning?
Your best bet would be Mahendra Executive on Satara Bypass. Pune also will be another good option but would suggest to stay around Nagar road as it will save immense time to bypass Pune the next day.
Quote:
4) My ride - All new Honda City - Please let me know of any bad roads along the route to avoid due to its low GC.
Ampere drove to Shirdi a few months back and reported roads nearing Shirdi in bad shape. Lets wait for him have his say!

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th June 2014 at 13:14.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:14   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Very easily
Is 1100 km really doable in 12 hrs , including breaks ? Google maps estimates are at 16 hrs, and I would probably take even longer even if I start early.

While I have not done this stretch specifically, and timings do vary from driver to driver , I don't think most drivers can do Bangalore Shirdi in 12 hrs.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 13th June 2014 at 14:15.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:15   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Is 1100 km really doable in 12 hrs , including breaks ? Google maps estimates are at 16 hrs, and I would probably take even longer than that.

While I have not done this stretch specifically, and timings do vary from driver to driver , I don't think most drivers can't do Bangalore Shirdi in 12 hrs.
Not 12 hours. I only meant it is easily doable in a day if one starts as early as 4am.

Thanks for pointing, I didn't pay attention to the poster asking if this can be done under 12 hours.

Bangalore-Pune itself will need 12 hours with all the breaks. Bypassing Pune takes an hour and then the road to Shirdi adds another 3.5-4 hours.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th June 2014 at 14:18.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 15:31   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I am planning a trip to Shirdi from Bangalore and cover the entire stretch in a day. Being the single driver, please suggest
I would say dont drive it in a single day. Later in the day, it becomes quite a bad ordeal. You may be able to do it, but to me its not worth the effort. You can break at Kolhapur for the first day (thats what I did too). And what you get in return? That day evening you can visit the Mahalakshmi temple.
(You can drive till Pune and break too)

Similarly I drove back to Belgaum Sankam, where I holed out for the night.
As far as roads are concerned, there are three parts.
- Amazing 4-lane till Pune.
- Painfully crossing Pune (Parag gave me a perfect way to cross Pune. It would easily take 1-2 hours)
- And the last 200 km (Pune-Nagar-Shirdi).

Its the last stretch that takes away the pleasure of driving. Pune-Nagar is worse than Bangalore-Mysrore. Its another 90 km from Nagar. And the roads are pathetic when you near Shirdi. Amazing pot-holed 4-lane! Never seen such a road. Pune-Nagar is very good, but has lots of traffic.

So if you combine all, then we are talking 12-13 hours to Pune another 4 hours to Shirdi and another 2 to cross Pune. Thats why I said, not worth it to drive in a single day.

If you plan to visit Aurangabad/Ajanta/Ellore, be prepared for another round of bad roads. Though I read recently that the Aurangabad-Vaijapur-Kopargaon section has been fixed.

Hotels: Kamats galore on NH4 (Dobbaspet/Ranebennur/Hubli/Dharwad.
Stay Part: Opal/Raysons in Kolhapur, Sankam in Belgaum
Smilestone near Shirur just before Nagar. Nice food court with a Coffee Day.

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2014 at 15:39.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 16:10   #220
BHPian

In addition to what Ampere has said, based on our March travel, DO NOT TAKE Nagar by pass
but drive through Nagar. Nagar town is not hectic traffic but by pass is miserable undulating
road. We took by pass going by our driver' sin puts but insisted driving thro' town on return. It was worth it. Yes, the last 20km to Shirdi is in bad shape. One wonders when they will address
that.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 17:37   #221
BHPian

Thanks a lot @paragsachania;@Ampere and @Waxeloquent for all your inputs and suggestions. Have noted down all of them and they will be of immense help in palnning my trip.

Cheers,
Kiran
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 13:22   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot @paragsachania;@Ampere and @Waxeloquent for all your inputs and suggestions. Have noted down all of them and they will be of immense help in palnning my trip.

Cheers,
Kiran
I do this Bangalore-Shirdi-Bangalore road trip ever year. Leave Bangalore around 5.00 AM and reach Shirdi at around 11.30 PM. The route should be clear by now to you. Bangalore - Pune - Ahmednagar (Nagar) - Shirdi.
On my return trip to Bangalore, I break the journey at Satara. There is a decent hotel on the highway in Satara - Mahendra Executive www.mahendraexecutive.com.
For breakfast you should go to Davangere for Benne dosa at Sri Guru Kottureshwara opposite Dental collage.
When ever I do this road trip, we carry lunch and have early dinner in Pune city.
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 15:40   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
For breakfast you should go to Davangere for Benne dosa at Sri Guru Kottureshwara opposite Dental collage.
This is a little impossible as they open only after 7:30am. In May 2012, we started at 0430 Hours and reached the Dosa Joint at 7:15AM (we were just 2 and were maintaining good average.

If you are able to maintain good average from Bangalore, its better to skip this and have your breakfast at Kamat at Ranebennur or Hubli depending on your pace.

Also, if the idea is to cross Pune before the peak traffic starts, I would surely avoid everything where I will end up spending more time than usual - Be that Entering the Benne Dosa Joint (10+10 minutes) or stopping over at a Popular restaurant for lunch.

To relish all these, I would target Pune rather than Shirdi. Have experienced this umpteen times whenever I have done Bangalore-Aurangabad.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 16:08   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I did this in my scorpio with 6 adults on board during May 2012. I started at 4PM from Bangalore, reached Pune at 3AM and Shirdi at 7AM. Took the usual Bangalore-Pune-Nagar-Shirdi route.

When I traveled, the roads after Nippani were not so great, however the traffic was less being night time.

We had one dinner break near Davangere around 8:30PM for about an hour and then on every 2hours, I was taking a break at one of the toll nakas to stretch, puff and sip a tea.

Was maintaining a steady speeds between 100-120kmph.

Try if you can manage to do this to beat the notorious Pune traffic. There are nice roadside dhabas all over NH4 no dearth for good food.

Last edited by 2500cc : 16th June 2014 at 16:09.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 16:21   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I traveled, the roads after Nippani were not so great, however the traffic was less being night time.
The roads remain the same even today all the way till Pune. There is no sign of any improvement at least in the near future. But you did the right thing by starting from Bangalore at 4PM. I have tried this multiple times and it works out so well to beat the mess between Kolhapur to Pune and Bypassing Pune itself. A 1PM start from Bangalore also works well with a dinner break in Kolhapur and another 3 hours for Pune from here.

However, at this hour of the night (Between 1-6am), it is better to avoid Kharadi bypass and take the Camp - Koregaon Park - Viman Nagar route to bypass Pune as there will be loads of trucks coming from Sholapur side (HYD Highway) taking the Kharadi Bypass to get onto the Mumbai Highway.

Quote:
Was maintaining a steady speeds between 100-120kmph.
Maintaining a steady 100-110 is what I too would prefer. Helps you avoid any fatigue due to constant high speed driving and you get better FE as well. Whether its the WagonR (that may have been on NH4 at least 50 times by now) or the Ertiga, this is a very good cruising speed with 16 toll booth till Pune (and 5 to Aurangabad there after), you can wave your hands to the same person who overtook you before at the next toll booth!
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote