Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th October 2016, 23:42   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Shirdi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you take the route via Wai, you can visit Dholya Ganapathi Temple & Kashi Vishweshvar temple (adjacent to each other), Dhom Dam and then head to Mahabaleshwar via Panchgani and check in to the hotel late evening. It may be dark by the time you reach Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar so can't visit any of the points en route.

Day 3 you can take the Panchgani, Wai route and visit places of interest in Panchgani. Since you already covered Wai on Day 1, proceed towards Ahmednagar for the remaining leg of your journey.
I plan to stay at Mahabaleshwar for 2 nights; would want to avoid shifting hotels if its closer by to drive around.

On day 1, considering its a long drive from Bangalore, I might just retire for the rest of the day (depending on how parents do).

If I include Panchgani/Wai for day 3, would I still be able to cover the other places planned for that day (Nagar tank museum, Shani Shingnapur temple, drive to Aurangabad)? Or is it too strenuous?

I am trying to get a feel if the overall plan sounds too cramped and if I need to space it out a little bit.
Shubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 08:13   #317
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
I plan to stay at Mahabaleshwar for 2 nights; would want to avoid shifting hotels if its closer by to drive around.
Staying at Mahabaleshwar is fine, distance to Panchgani is about 15km.
Good idea to head directly to the hotel in Mahabaleshwar on Day 1 as it will be quite tiring.

On Day 2 you can try to extend your plan to cover Parsi point, Table land, Sydney Point at Panchgani if possible, so that Day 3 you just visit Harrisons folly and head to Wai. Wai temples can be visited in about less than an hour and then visit Dhom and proceed towards shani shignapur. I think you will not have time for the museum etc.
One thing to keep in mind is that heavy fog can easily be a dampener to your plans to visit view points around Mahabaleshwar and Panchagani, so a little bit of buffer time is always good.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 09:14   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are all these routes safe to drive with family, in a hatchback?
Absolutely yes. Have no doubts regarding that.

Quote:
Day 3 -
Drive to Ahmednagar (via Lonand, Nira, Daund ???)
Visit tank museum
Drive to Shani Shingnapur; Temple visit [will avoid Saturday]
Drive to Aurangabad
Like Vivek has mentioned, stick to the NH4-Pune option. This is the fastest and most reliable despite the fact that you will have to "Bypass" Pune that itself will be an hour's affair if you do this before peak time.

Mahabaleshwar to Pune will be 2.5 Hours till Katraj (Entry to Pune). Another 1 hour to cross Pune onto Nagar road (Wagholi and beyond) and from here at least 3+ Hours for Shirdi. This mean, you are budgeting around 7-8 hours for Mahabaleshwar - Shirdi including your breaks.

Along with this, if you include Darshan at Shani Singanapur, add another 1 hour and then the journey from Shani Singanapur to Auranganad will be a 90-100 minutes drive.

All in all, the plan above for this day looks tight (10+ Hours)but the fact that you reach Aurangabad only with the intention of calling it a day would make sense and it wont be too late.

Just a word of advise here - Waluj to Aurangabad is a thick industrial belt along with Cantonment areas and this one sees very heavy local traffic along with regular highway vehicles. At peak hours since most of the industries close around 0530-0600 PM, you are better off reaching before this or driving to reach around 0800 PM. The distance is less than 30 kms between but an irritant if you are already tired for the day. So plan accordingly

Departure at 0500 from Mahabaleshwar will be worth it. Will help you cross Pune faster and you will end up saving at least 30 minutes. Post crossing Pune, on Nagar road (Ahmadnagar), you will have plenty of options to break for breakfast and popular one is "Vittal Kamat" and "Idlies & Kamat".

Smiletone closer to Ahmadnagar will be too late or else this too is wonderful place to stop.

For bypassing Pune to Nagar road, you can refer to this post which has all the details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3931152 (Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries)

Quote:
Day 4 -
Visit Ajanta [will avoid Monday]
Evening - Aurangabad local sight seeing
You can include "Bibi ka Maqbara" (A near replica of Taj Mahal) as well which is situated in one of the localities of Aurangabad itself.

Quote:
Day 6 -
Darshan
Drive to Triambakeshwar; temple visit
Drive to Nashik
This post should help you know the latest conditions between Shirdi and Mumbai/Thane since you intend to head to Lonavala after this.

The other obvious choice is to come to Pune and then hit Lonavala which is only 60 kms but Nashik-Pune is a slow 2 lane (Lot of traffic).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 20:03   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Absolutely yes. Have no doubts regarding that.

Mahabaleshwar to Pune will be 2.5 Hours till Katraj (Entry to Pune). Another 1 hour to cross Pune onto Nagar road (Wagholi and beyond) and from here at least 3+ Hours for Shirdi. This mean, you are budgeting around 7-8 hours for Mahabaleshwar - Shirdi including your breaks.

Departure at 0500 from Mahabaleshwar will be worth it. Will help you cross Pune faster and you will end up saving at least 30 minutes. Post crossing Pune, on Nagar road (Ahmadnagar), you will have plenty of options to break for breakfast and popular one is "Vittal Kamat" and "Idlies & Kamat".
I am kinda trying to club your and NPV's inputs here. If I check out places around Wai in the morning and head out towards Nagar, say, by 0900 via NH4 route, would I avoid peak Pune traffic (assuming I would reach there by 1130-1200 ish) and reach Nagar by early afternoon?
Yes, plan is to reach Aurangabad and call it a day; visiting Shani Shingnapur is a must (and Nagar tank museum is an option if time permits).

Few more questions, if you all excuse -

gmaps has https://goo.gl/5vpSTq from Bhimashankar to Lonavala. Avoiding hitting Pune city, is this the correct route? This seems to avoid highways until it reaches expressway.

With my current dates, I seem to end up with Shirdi darshan on a Thursday morning. If I book online for a Thursday morning darshan, is it manageable? Or is it still crowded that I should look for a darshan the previous night? This is my first visit to this place, so not aware of how things work here.
For the previous day, my plan is to start early from Aurangabad towards Daulatabad fort, Aurangzeb tomb, Ellora caves, Grishneshwar temple and drive to Shirdi. Not sure if I will have time for a darshan that evening.
Old 19th October 2016, 14:36   #320
BHPian

Quote:
With my current dates, I seem to end up with Shirdi darshan on a Thursday morning. If I book online for a Thursday morning darshan, is it manageable? Or is it still crowded that I should look for a darshan the previous night? This is my first visit to this place, so not aware of how things work here.
For the previous day, my plan is to start early from Aurangabad towards Daulatabad fort, Aurangzeb tomb, Ellora caves, Grishneshwar temple and drive to Shirdi. Not sure if I will have time for a darshan that evening.
With this schedule I would doubt if you will make it for the darshan on Wed night. Shej Aarti starts at 10PM. So if you are able to join the darshan queue before 9PM, you stand a good chance of being able to complete your darshan. Any later than that and you run the risk of being disappointed.

Thursday is considered to be holy and therefore expect more devotees to be there. Plan for at least a couple of hours if you are seeking darshan on Thursday morning. Could be more. Hope this helps. Have a good trip.
Arka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 14:55   #321
BHPian

Default Re: Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries

Friends,

Need your help in finalizing my plan to drive from Bangalore to Shirdi & back.

Here is my tentative plan.
29th Oct 2016 1 PM : Start from BLR Electronic city. Plan to night halt at Satara. Guess would reach around 1 AM (730 kms)

30th Oct 2016 9 AM : Start from Satara to Shirdi. Reach Shirdi around 4 PM (300 KM).
Accomodation booked from 5 PM. Two darshans, one at 9 PM on 30th Oct and other at 8 AM on 31st Oct.

31st Oct 2016 12 PM: Start from Shirdi and halt at Hubli (600 kms). Guess would reach around 10 PM.

1st Nov 2016 5 AM: Start from Hubli and reach Bangalore by 1 PM
Passengers: 4 adults (2 elders).
Car: Punto.
Route: Blr-Satara-Pune-Ahmednagar-Shirdi

Need your help in
1. Any suggestions on the itinerary & halt plans?

2. Any good hotel recommendations for stay in Satara, if this plan is OK (budget not more than 2K per room)?
Got some recommendations from this thread from paragsachania for Hubli. Clarks Inn, Anant Residency, Hotel Ayodhya

3. from this thread, will take bypass references for Pune & Ahmednagar.
For Pune bypass: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...queries-5.html (Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries)
does this hold good for return leg too?
Quote:
For your return leg, I will put details of how to bypass using another option which is faster than the onward. The same was followed by Sushrutha 3 weeks before and as expected, it turned out to be faster. Give me a day's time.
@paragsachania could you please share more details on this?

For Nagar bypass: https://goo.gl/maps/8et8nPMm4C62 is it the route?

4. any good POIs enroute or near shirdi that we could cover?
Thanks in advance.
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 15:23   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
[indent]29th Oct 2016 1 PM : Start from BLR Electronic city. Plan to night halt at Satara. Guess would reach around 1 AM (730 kms)
With breaks and sedate driving (100-110) you will still make it by 10:30-11:30PM.

Quote:
30th Oct 2016 9 AM : Start from Satara to Shirdi. Reach Shirdi around 4 PM (300 KM).
Might be repetitive, but ensure that you start from Satara at 0500, cross Pune by 0800/0830.

Check few posts above and the reasons behind it - Helps you bypass Pune easily and to bypass Pune look at the same post above.

Quote:
31st Oct 2016 12 PM: Start from Shirdi and halt at Hubli (600 kms). Guess would reach around 10 PM.
12PM - Shirdi
4PM - Pune
8PM - Kolhapur Exit (evenings are busy in this sector)

My advise would be to halt at Kolhapur or Belgaum and not Hubli.

Quote:
[indent]1. Any suggestions on the itinerary & halt plans?
Did that already.

Quote:
2. Any good hotel recommendations for stay in Satara, if this plan is OK (budget not more than 2K per room)?
Hotel Mahendra Executive - Popular in Satara and bang on the highway. Not sure if this can be within your 2K budget. You can also check Hotel Mahendra (NPV's find) and Hotel Annapurna in Karad which will be 30-45 minutes before Satara.

Quote:
For Nagar bypass: https://goo.gl/maps/8et8nPMm4C62 is it the route?
Caution: Don't take the Nagar Bypass at any cost. The road is in shambles. A friends's colleague drove to Shirdi last week and reported back that there are sections of this "bypass" that has no roads at all.

The best option is to drive all the way into Nagar (not really right into the center of the town) and get into the road leading for Shirdi from here.

Take this route to get onto road to Shirdi from Nagar side. Once you enter Nagar, you will encounter a right handed curve and a fork where you exit. Remaining on main road will take you into Nagar/Aurangabad etc.

On Breakpoints between Pune and Nagar - Don't worry much, There are plenty. Popular ones are a lot of Vittal Kamats and more popular is a well managed food court called Smilestone (Has CCD as well) which will be 20 minutes before Nagar.

And remember, no tolls to pay after Pune on the Nagar road (you will get 2 booths). Cars are exempted from paying tolls. So if the barricade is closed, just stop by for a second and wait till the attendant opens it and proceed.
Old 19th October 2016, 15:41   #323
BHPian

Quote:
With breaks and sedate driving (100-110) you will still make it by 10:30-11:30PM.

Might be repetitive, but ensure that you start from Satara at 0500, cross Pune by 0800/0830.

Check few posts above and the reasons behind it - Helps you bypass Pune easily and to bypass Pune look at the same post above.
My accomodation @ Shirdi is from 5 PM, hence the original plan.
If I reach cross Pune by 0800 , I think I will reach Shirdi before 1 PM. Is there any POIs en-route or near Shirdi where we could spend 2-3 hrs?

Quote:
My advise would be to halt at Kolhapur or Belgaum and not Hubli.
Belgaum looks good. Will plan accordingly.

Quote:
Hotel Mahendra Executive - Popular in Satara and bang on the highway. Not sure if this can be within your 2K budget. You can also check Hotel Mahendra (NPV's find) and Hotel Annapurna in Karad which will be 30-45 minutes before Satara.
Great. will check the suggested options.

Quote:
Caution: Don't take the Nagar Bypass at any cost.
Thanks for the caution. Will take the road advised.

Quote:
And remember, no tolls to pay after Pune on the Nagar road (you will get 2 booths). Cars are exempted from paying tolls. So if the barricade is closed, just stop by for a second and wait till the attendant opens it and proceed.
Great. will remember this.

Also, Could you please help me with the Pune bypass for return leg? or should I take the same one as onward?

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply & suggestions. Much appreciated
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 16:01   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Is there any POIs en-route or near Shirdi where we could spend 2-3 hrs?
30th is a Sunday and is a festive weekend due to Diwali. So the heavy traffic bypassing Pune is not fully applicable then. Hence, you can start at your own suitable time.

Quote:
Also, Could you please help me with the Pune bypass for return leg? or should I take the same one as onward?
From what I know and my recent conversations, 31st is a Holiday in Pune for many Tech companies due to Diwali. So please take the same route for return leg to bypass Pune.
Old 19th October 2016, 16:22   #325
BHPian

Quote:
I am kinda trying to club your and NPV's inputs here. If I check out places around Wai in the morning and head out towards Nagar, say, by 0900 via NH4 route, would I avoid peak Pune traffic (assuming I would reach there by 1130-1200 ish) and reach Nagar by early afternoon?
Yes, plan is to reach Aurangabad and call it a day; visiting Shani Shingnapur is a must (and Nagar tank museum is an option if time permits).

Few more questions, if you all excuse -

gmaps has https://goo.gl/5vpSTq from Bhimashankar to Lonavala. Avoiding hitting Pune city, is this the correct route? This seems to avoid highways until it reaches expressway.

If you start from Wai around 0900, you would reach the entry point of Pune by approx 1030. It takes about 1-1.5 hour max to cross the urban limits of Pune. Further on for about 40kms till Ranjangaon, you will pass through huge industrial areas of Pune via a 4 lane highway. Upto a place called Shikrapur ( 25 kms ) the traffic will be on higher side coupled with wrong side traffic but post Shikrapur phata, traffic gets fast moving. You would easily reach Nagar city by noon 2pm max.

Do not plan Shirdi Darshan after Aurangabad trip. It would be hectic. Though if you reach Shirdi between 5-8pm, darshan usually takes less than half an hour on normal weekdays. I have had it in 15 mins flat out twice around 5.15-5.45pm.

From Bhimashankar to Talegaon the route you have shared looks interesting but I am not sure of the road conditions. In all probabilities it is a hilly road with less traffic. The standard route though is Bhimashankar - Rajgurunagar - Chakan - Talegaon - Expressway / old NH4 - Lonavala.

Now the thing is that Pune starts almost from Rajgurunagar itself and extends all the way via Chakan upto Talegaon. Rajgurunagar--Chakan is a 4 lane divided road with moderate to high traffic. It gets too crowded at the Chakan junction where you would need to turn right towards Talegaon. Chakan to Talegaon is mostly a 2 lane road that passes through core industrial hubs and has heavy truck/trailer traffic.

The google map route you have shared connects Chas to Khalambure bypassing Rajgurunagar--Chakan section. I am not sure if we would get latest updates on this route. Khalambure onwards it is the same Chakan --Talegaon route that I mentioned earlier. Taking this route would mean experimenting but that's not advisable when you are with elders. But I am pretty sure it is devoid of any heavy traffic.

From Talegaon, you can choose to continue on old NH4 itself till Lonavala. It's a very good 4 laned tarred road. Else, you have the superb 6 lane Expressway too. There wouldn't be much difference in timings taking either of the routes as it's hardly 30 kms from Talegaon, just that you would need to pay 118 bucks for using Expressway. For the old NH4, you would anyhow touch it way ahead of the toll plaza, so it works out free.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 16:23   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Hence, you can start at your own suitable time.
please take the same route for return leg to bypass Pune.
Noted. Thank you

I will stick with your earlier suggestion of early start from Satara but will include Shani Shingnapur in my itinerary during my onward leg (which I completely forgot during my initial plan )

Hope no restriction now for women to enter the Shani temple.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 16:18   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Do not plan Shirdi Darshan after Aurangabad trip. It would be hectic. Though if you reach Shirdi between 5-8pm, darshan usually takes less than half an hour on normal weekdays. I have had it in 15 mins flat out twice around 5.15-5.45pm.

From Bhimashankar to Talegaon the route you have shared looks interesting but I am not sure of the road conditions. In all probabilities it is a hilly road with less traffic. The standard route though is Bhimashankar - Rajgurunagar - Chakan - Talegaon - Expressway / old NH4 - Lonavala.
For a Wednesday late evening, do I have to book darshan online OR (like the instances you quoted) could I hope to finish it in quick time (without any poojas alongwith). For a Thursday morning darshan (again no poojas), do I have to book online?

If Rajgurunagar-Chakan-Talegaon is the standard route, will stick to it. Wont go route-hunting in an unfamiliar place.
From Bhimashakar to Rajgurunagar, is the recommended route via Manchar or via Chas?

Last edited by Shubbi : 26th October 2016 at 16:22. Reason: Additional query
Old 26th October 2016, 16:34   #328
BHPian

Has somebody traveled between Daund and Ahmednagar recently. I was looking to travel on this section while proceeding to Shirdi. Any update on the road condition would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 16:48   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Has somebody traveled between Daund and Ahmednagar recently. I was looking to travel on this section while proceeding to Shirdi. Any update on the road condition would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Unless you have serious reasons to drive on this section, I advise you to stick to the Pune Nagar option to reach Shirdi.

Otherwise Nagar - Daund - Baramati the roads are not bad but the progress on these roads will waste your time. Not only will you tail lot of slow and miscellaneous traffic but also pass petty towns and villages (often dense). Baramati Nira Satara is again narrow road with good and rough patches.

Ideally, I haven't seen any major advantage taking this road against the one via Pune in terms of timings.

Lack of Facilities and breakpoints is another area that is not entirely favorable when driving with family. Nagar - Pune - Satara on the other hand is way better.

EDIT- I see that you are from Hyderabad and if you are planning to take this as an option to reach Shirdi from Baramati then simply consider this as Baramati Daund Nagar is in Good shape

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th October 2016 at 16:49.
Old 26th October 2016, 17:02   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have serious reasons to drive on this section, I advise you to stick to the Pune Nagar option to reach Shirdi.

EDIT- I see that you are from Hyderabad and if you are planning to take this as an option to reach Shirdi from Baramati then simply consider this as Baramati Daund Nagar is in Good shape

Sorry! as I missed mentioning that I shall be travelling from Hyderabad. I was trying to avoid the Temburni- Nagar section as it is perpetually under expansion and would take some more time to get completed.

Since I would be on the excellent Solapur- Pune road for some more distance, in case I travel further till Daund, therefore exploring this option.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote