Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th August 2014, 10:57   #196
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodh View Post
Hi, I plan to drive to Chennai this weekend. I have in thepast used teh Old MAdras road route via Chittor and Ranipet . Ever since they started upgrading the roads I have been using teh Krishnagiri route which is good but the only bother being the return traffic at Hosur.

Can anybody tell me if the four laning work on the Old Madras Road route is complete and can we keep the same speeds as we do on the Krishnagiri route.
The road conditions are good all throughout, although there is some construction work going on after Mulbagal till AP border. As luvurride mentioned, it won't be deterrant and not a worry. If you are driving after dark, you have to be more careful.

You can't obviously maintain same speeds via Chittoor route like you do in Krishnagiri/Vellore route, but constant & steady speed can be maintained 80-100 and since the distance is shorter in this route to Madras, time wise it should not make a big difference.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 07:53   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
4lanes only till Mulbagal, about 100 km from KR Puram. After that it is good 2 lane till you join the krishnagiri-chennai highway at Ranipet/Walajah. The 4 laning post Mulbagal until KA border is still work-in-progress, but it is a non-deterrant.
I have been sticking to the Vellore-Krishnagiri stretch as I wasn't aware of the road conditions on the Chittoor. So, this is useful information for me. Will try this stretch during my next drive to Chennai.
girish4731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 08:41   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish4731 View Post
I have been sticking to the Vellore-Krishnagiri stretch as I wasn't aware of the road conditions on the Chittoor. So, this is useful information for me. Will try this stretch during my next drive to Chennai.
Its always been good. (But for the 2-lane between Mulbagal to Ranipet). If you stay close to Old Madras Road, this becomes an ideal option. If you are in south Bangalore, stick to Hosur/Krishnagiri/Vellore.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 14:40   #199
BHPian

I actually love driving the two-lane stretch between Mulbagal and Ranipet. May not be fast, but is fun, especially the couple of slight twisties in the Bangarupalya neighbourhood.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 16:40   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I actually love driving the two-lane stretch between Mulbagal and Ranipet. May not be fast, but is fun, especially the couple of slight twisties in the Bangarupalya neighbourhood.

Cheers
+1 to that! Ever since I switched to this route when the 6 laning commenced, I haven't switched back! The traffic before and after Chittoor is at times irritating, otherwise it is super fun to drive this stretch!
luvurride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 13:02   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
+1 to that! Ever since I switched to this route when the 6 laning commenced, I haven't switched back! The traffic before and after Chittoor is at times irritating, otherwise it is super fun to drive this stretch!
+1 +1 +1

I drove through this route yesterday and enjoyed every bit. I felt in many stretches in AP, they have relaid the surface and feels more elevated.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 13:37   #202
Senior - BHPian

I prefer this route over the GQ route any day. The 2 laner is so much fun - the driving pleasure of this route is unparalleled. A bonus for me is that since I live in whitefield, the total time taken is also significantly lower. Its a pity that this beautiful two laner is gonna get converted into a boring 4 laner soon.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 29th August 2014 at 13:39.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 11:07   #203
BHPian

I am driving this route tomorrow. Trouble is, I have gone back on my low-carb diet, which means I can no longer eat anything that has rice or wheat or flour or sugar.

I need recommendations for breakfast places near the Bangalore end and lunch places near the Madras end that serve at least eggs if not non-veg food. Biriyani is not an option because of the rice, but if a place serves biriyani, it certainly will serve just the meat without the rest of the things, so that is a possibility.

Problem is, there are great veggie joints like Adigas or Woodys or Murugan Idli Kadai etc., but no known good non-veg places, hence my request here.

Thanks and cheers
Old 8th September 2014, 11:26   #204
BHPian

Angry re: Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

After 7 years of doing up and down Blr / Chennai almost every weekend - I finally lost my side view mirror to an on coming Etios - he tried to over take an auto , touched the auto and came full on to my side of the road head on - had some space so swerved . He hit me any way and off he went with my mirror.

That apart the road is awesome , you could do save on time - two tolls after the vanyambadi toll - one for 16 rs and another for 64 - there is a huge WIP part just before Kolar but very negotiable - Kolar to Bangalore ( till you reach the Hanging bridge ofcourse ) the road is super good , with little or no traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries-img_2040.jpg  

Last edited by hiunni : 8th September 2014 at 11:48. Reason: pasted second para didnt show up
hiunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 12:23   #205
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I need recommendations for breakfast places near the Bangalore end and lunch places near the Madras end that serve at least eggs if not non-veg food. Biriyani is not an option because of the rice, but if a place serves biriyani, it certainly will serve just the meat without the rest of the things, so that is a possibility.
Are you ok with McD and KFC? If yes there is a McD in Schoolagiri for BF and KFC near Kanchipuram.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 09:25   #206
BHPian

I too prefer this route than compared to GQ mainly for the reasons many have mentioned. I live in Whitefield, so the time taken to reach the highway is negligible. Had bitter experience an year back when Telengana issue was at peak, had to take a diversion after coffee day at chittoor and after even an hour of driving through rocks and mountains, I was still not away from problems of road blocks. But at last had to take the route to gudiyatham before palmaner which was also blocked. I reached chittoor at 7AM, but reached Bangalore at 3PM because of these diversion.But apart from this any day I would like to drive in this route than compared to GQ. Since then I did not take this route due to not much travelling and my last travel was before telengana formation. Have to travel this weekend, so was checking this post and happy to see that things are back to normal and I would be saving atleast 1.5 hours of travel time. Thanks to all for keeping this post alive, seeing the fact that this had been started 7 years ago..

Last edited by informmaha : 9th September 2014 at 09:28.
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 13:03   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Are you ok with McD and KFC? If yes there is a McD in Schoolagiri for BF and KFC near Kanchipuram.
Thanks DWind, but those outlets are not on the Chittoor road; and no, I cannot do with Mickey D's or KFC since they do not have meat alone. KFC is breaded (I can't eat bread).

Cheers
Old 24th December 2014, 13:07   #208

I am driving from Chennai to Bangalore on Saturday and back on Sunday. A wedding to attend. Staying in Kammanahalli Main road.

Google Maps suggests the Chittoor route since it is the shorter one. Any latest updates on this road?
sachinnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 13:42   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinnair View Post
I am driving from Chennai to Bangalore on Saturday and back on Sunday. A wedding to attend. Staying in Kammanahalli Main road.

Google Maps suggests the Chittoor route since it is the shorter one. Any latest updates on this road?
Yes Chitoor road is the better option. It closer to the North/East sector of Bangalore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 17:26   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinnair View Post
Indeed the best route. Road status

- Bangalore to Mulbagal : 4 lane continues to be superb
- Mulbagal - Andhra border : 4 laning mostly complete and in brand new condition
- Andhra border - Walajahpet : Two lane road in very good condition. Driving through Palamaneru, Ranipet and Walajahpet will slow you down
- Walajahpet to Chennai : Deteriorating road , bumpy, ever increasing potholes, truck traffic requiring weaving between lanes and all in all a pain. Unavoidable, alas, whichever route is taken to Chennai
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote