Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th April 2017, 11:58   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Any recent updates on this route? I'm looking to do a road trip to Bangalore for the May 1st long weekend. Is it a good idea to consider this route or better to stick with the usual route via Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur?
In the last week of March this year, I went to Chennai from Bangalore via Chittoor, Sholinghur, Arakkonam, Thandalam and Sriperumbudur. Inside Arakkonam town some road repair work was going on. Otherwise Brilliant roads all the way. Pick of the lot was the wide 2 lane road from Sholinghur to Arakkonam
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 12:06   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
In the last week of March this year, I went to Chennai from Bangalore via Chittoor, Sholinghur, Arakkonam, Thandalam and Sriperumbudur. Inside Arakkonam town some road repair work was going on. Otherwise Brilliant roads all the way. Pick of the lot was the wide 2 lane road from Sholinghur to Arakkonam
Isn't this route longer than Chittoor - Ranipet - Chennai? Is the traffic on this route to Chittoor lesser than the Ranipet route?
vw19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 12:06   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for all the info. Having decided that I'll try this route this time, can you please let me how much time would it take to reach my hotel near Vidhana Sauda from Hoskote? Also let me know the route as it's completely new to me.
Hoskote toll plaza to Vidhana Soudha will take about 50-60 minutes in peak-hour traffic. Since the route is unfamiliar to you, it is best to stick to the straightforward route* which may not be the shortest in terms of time taken but has fewest number of turns.
* Follow Old Madras road from Hoskote- K R Puram Hanging Bridge - Swami Vievekananda Road Metro station- Halasuru Metro Station - Trinity circle - MG Road - Take right turn to Queens Road - Turn left at Minsk Square - Reach Hotel Capitol near Vidhana Soudha.

Quote:
I'll be most likely starting from Velachery at 10 AM - an early start is ruled out as I have other appointments till then. Can I expect to reach before it gets dark assuming 2-3 stops on the way.
I'll give you my experience. Have driven in this route 4-5 times in the past year. End-to-end it takes about 7 hours at worst including breaks. (I'm a very sedate driver and my family takes lots of breaks). I think, with a 10am start, you will reach your destination well before sunset. Good luck.
Do share your experience in this thread after the trip.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 12:10   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't this route longer than Chittoor - Ranipet - Chennai? Is the traffic on this route to Chittoor lesser than the Ranipet route?
I encountered very less traffic inside Chittoor, Sholinghur. Only in Arakkonam because of some road repair work, traffic was slightly high but nothing to worry about

Going by the route i mentioned connects you to the NH near Saveetha University. You get to avoid paying toll at Sriperumbudur.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 12:21   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hoskote toll plaza to Vidhana Soudha will take about 50-60 minutes in peak-hour traffic. Since the route is unfamiliar to you, it is best to stick to the straightforward route* which may not be the shortest in terms of time taken but has fewest number of turns.
* Follow Old Madras road from Hoskote- K R Puram Hanging Bridge - Swami Vievekananda Road Metro station- Halasuru Metro Station - Trinity circle - MG Road - Take right turn to Queens Road - Turn left at Minsk Square - Reach Hotel Capitol near Vidhana Soudha.
Wow!! This is brilliant stuff mate. A treasure trove of info for me Don't mind it being slightly longer but definitely prefer the straightforward route.

Quote:
I'll give you my experience. Have driven in this route 4-5 times in the past year. End-to-end it takes about 7 hours at worst including breaks. (I'm a very sedate driver and my family takes lots of breaks). I think, with a 10am start, you will reach your destination well before sunset. Good luck.
Do share your experience in this thread after the trip.
Hopefully I reach before sunset. Sure, will keep the thread updated once I'm back.
vw19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:53   #231
BHPian

Thanks to all the information shared on this thread before commencing my trip - They turned out to be the most useful!

A comparison of both the routes - via Chittoor vs via Hosur from my recent trip. Onward journey from Chennai was via Chittoor and the return was via Hosur.

Chittoor route:
Velachery - Tambaram - Sriperumbudur - Ranipet - Palamaner - Kolar
Start time @ Velachery: 10:00 AM
Reached hotel near Vidhana Saudha - 5:10 PM
No. of tolls: 4
Toll amount: Rs 150
No. of breaks: 4
Time spent in breaks (app.): 1 hour

Overall, the route was excellent. Totally loved the scenic drive and enjoyed manoeuvring those nicely laid curvy sections in many spots.

Hosur route:
Bull Temple - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Ranipet - Sriperumbudur
Start time @ Bull Temple: 2:00 PM
Reached home - 9.45 PM
No. of tolls: 6
Toll amount: Rs 345
No. of breaks: 3
Time spent in breaks (app.): 1.5 hours

Spent half an hour each in Krishnagiri and Chennasamudram tolls - which caused a significant delay in the total time.

I personally liked the Chittoor route, thanks to minimal tolls and some splendid views all along!

Last edited by vw19d : 2nd May 2017 at 12:03.
vw19d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:27   #232
BHPian

Quote:
I personally liked the Chittoor route, thanks to minimal tolls and some splendid views all along!
. Glad to know that you had a wonderful trip.
Yes, this route offers nice views and is more engaging to drive. I find the other route through NH via Krishnagiri-Arcot too boring and uninteresting to drive. Not to mention the horrible queues at the tolls.
Did you find any interesting or new places for food/bio break in the Chittoor route?

Last edited by srvm : 2nd May 2017 at 14:28.
srvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:59   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Did you find any interesting or new places for food/bio break in the Chittoor route?
Nothing interesting to write about but a word of caution I can provide is - Avoid Star Biriyani on the left hand side a few kms before Kanchipuram. We decided to do a take away from this place due to its reputation. But sadly, the biriyani was terrible - was simply too spicy that we could hardly feel any other taste in it.

Another spot where we stopped for a tea break - don't remember the name; but a few kms before Nandi Food Plaza in Bangarupalayam on the left hand side - would recommend this for a small tea & bio break.
vw19d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:15   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing interesting to write about but a word of caution I can provide is - Avoid Star Biriyani on the left hand side a few kms before Kanchipuram. We decided to do a take away from this place due to its reputation. But sadly, the biriyani was terrible - was simply too spicy that we could hardly feel any other taste in it.

Another spot where we stopped for a tea break - don't remember the name; but a few kms before Nandi Food Plaza in Bangarupalayam on the left hand side - would recommend this for a small tea & bio break.
Another place to break for food would be Highway Star before Mulbagal. This complex has Maiyas restaurant and lots of other shops as well. The lavatories are also very clean and the complex is maintained very well.
I would suggest this as an option to break for food.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote