Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th May 2008, 11:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Update on NH4 between Chennai and Bangalore:

Except for a very small stretch between Chittoor and Palamner, the route is back to its old glory. There is some roadwork happening just as you enter AP (from TN) and there are 2 diversions on temporary roads.
Hi hrag,
I am planning to take this route from chennai this weekend. Are the diversions you mentioned very minor and clear? Dont want to get lost

regards
m8002?
m8002? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 12:28   #17
BANNED

Nothing to worry, very minor diversions (you can see the entire diversion from the main road). BUT there are some crude speedbreakers (2 before and 2 after each of the diversions) so watch out for those and watch your speed.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 19:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Question Help !!! Address info needed.

Bangy guys,

Need your help... provide directions to the following address :

M.s.Ramaiya North City Layout,
Thanisandra Main, A.C.Post, Nagavara Village,

I will be travelling to Bangalore this sunday (on work). I am planning to drive down along the Chittoor route. Would be great if someone can provide the above info by tomorrow (saturday).

I tried searching on Wikimapia, but not able to locate Thanisandra or Nagavara village.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 19:25   #19
BANNED

Try Google Maps (maps.google.com)
Search for "M S Ramaiah North City Layout"

After reaching Bangalore and crossing the Krishnarajapuram bridge, continue on the bypass that goes to Tumkur / Hyderabad (a sweeping right hander of a bridge). After the underbridge (that says BDA), the road turns to the left.
The 1st signal will take you to Horamavu (right) and Banaswadi (left)
The 2nd signal will take you to Hennur
The 3rd signal will take you to Nagavara (left) and Thanisandra (right). Take the right here and M S Ramaiah North City Layout will be on your left under a km or so.

Note: you have to strain to read the directional signs in Bangalore (unlike the huge signs in Chennai). If in doubt, ask for Thanisandra Main Road.
Old 16th May 2008, 19:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanx very much for the prompt and clear directions, hrag .
Old 7th June 2008, 23:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...and there are 2 diversions on temporary roads....
update as of 01 Jun 2008 --> there are 3 diversions for minor-bridge works. (there were only 2 when I drove Chennai-BLR on 18 May 2008)

Quote:
...but I was sad to see the trees after Mulbagal all gone....
I am attaching some pics of the road-widening/tree-felling below. I havent seen this stretch before, with the trees, but I did notice that the shade was missing compared to the other stretch with the trees.

Name:  RoadWidening1.jpg
Views: 5839
Size:  303.4 KB

Name:  TreeFelling1.jpg
Views: 5554
Size:  410.2 KB

Name:  TreeFelling2.jpg
Views: 6028
Size:  375.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
...Are the diversions you mentioned very minor and clear? ...
Some pics of the diversion below : as hrag has mentioned, they are clear, except that one has to watch out for the speed-breakers. When we were returning, I saw a Sumo with a broken front axle standing right on one of those crude speed-breakers.

Also, the "Take diversion" warning board will be right next to the speed breaker ....so you wouldn't have time to react/brake if coming at high speed !!!

Name:  Diversion1.jpg
Views: 5890
Size:  371.6 KB

Name:  Diversion2.jpg
Views: 5425
Size:  410.7 KB

Quote:
... Take the right here and M S Ramaiah North City Layout will be on your left under a km or so......

Thanks a lot for the clear directions, hrag : I was able to reach the place without any problems .
Old 16th June 2008, 15:14   #22
BANNED

OK, for those of you travelling this route from Chennai to Bangalore, here are the co-ordinates of the diversions

All distances from the TN-AP border (where pillars on the side of the road welcome you into AP)
5 km: First diversion
7 km: Second diversion
47 km: Third diversion (new one as reported by Blue Thunder)
52 km: Temporary speed breaker (saw an horribly mangled LCV by the side of the road on Saturday as well as yesterday)
Old 17th June 2008, 19:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

I should have updated earlier. Here goes:

The road from Hoskote to Mulbagal is being four laned. All the beautiful trees are gone. :-( Its going to be as hot as the GQ during daytime !! Four laning will take another year to complete. There are lot of places were there is no shoulder.

Mulbagal to Palmaner is still a dream to drive. However road conditions after Palmaner are not so good. This is till you hit the TN border. Roads have been relaid from there so its awesome driving.

The 3 diversions mentioned above are highly irritating. One is right after a curve and you don't know about it until you are almost on top of the speed breaker. The speed breakers are meant for trucks and not for cars. Thankfully they are made out of sand and stone mixture so even if you scrape it, its not so bad.

I usually used to cover Indiranagar - Ranipet in 3 hours. This time it took 3 and half hours for the same distance.

Use the GQ to get to Chennai till the roads are done.

Sigh ! I shall miss the old road a lot....
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 09:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Sigh ! I shall miss the old road a lot....
Seriously senthil, I will miss the beautiful 2 laned NH4 passing through beautiful trees. Hoskote - Palamner drive will not be the same again.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:33   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
However road conditions after Palmaner are not so good. This is till you hit the TN border. Roads have been relaid from there so its awesome driving.
From Bangalore, the ghat section between Palamner and Chittor is still great. There are some bad patches otherwise but nothing too bad compared to say, last September.

The stretch from the AP-TN border used to be hopeless till a few months ago. The new bridge at Tiruvalam took its own sweet time coming up and there were potholes in the first few weeks. Luckily, someone has taken this up and as csentil mentioned, fantastic stretch from the border until the Tiruvalam bridge.

The sweet spot for the AP ghat stretch (in either direction) is around 7:30 pm, the cats eyes light up and it is a visual treat. Too bad the road is choked with truck traffic at night.
Old 26th August 2008, 12:03   #26
BANNED

Was discussing this (among other things) at length with hvkumar on Friday night and decided to put this up for everybody's benefit:

For those of us who love NH4 all the way between Chennai & Bangalore but want to avoid the mess of going through Ranipet and Walajapet towns.

From Bangalore:
Just before Ranipet town and after BHEL / Reliance bunk etc, there is a hotel MGM Virundu on the RHS and Hotel GeeKay Residency (under some construction) on the LHS. MGM Virundu used to be a TTDC Hotel Tamilnadu and is now leased to MGM, I guess. They have super clean toilets.

Trip meter at MGM 230.5
The road curves left gently and you come to a church and then a small bridge (welcome sign by Parryware on the LHS). Just after the bridge, you will see Vimal restaurants (a tall building) on the LHS.
232.6 Vimal restaurants
Take right here. Keep going ignoring all cross roads until you come to a T junction
233.3 T junction
Take left here
233.8 Road turns right by itself and curves right and then left
234.4 T junction of GQ
Take left here to go towards Chennai, go underneath the flyover and turn right towards Vellore / Bangalore.

From Chennai:
After the 2nd toll plaza just before Walajapet,
the turn off on the right to Walajapet comes up almost immediately after the toll plaza. Ignore this turn off and stick to the GQ. Exactly 8 km after the first turn off, instead of getting onto the flyover, take the left lane and turn right underneath the flyover and you are the point marked T junction of GQ in the directions above (From Bangalore).

Between the first turn off and this one, there is an RHS turn off to Walajapet which has to be ignored.
Old 4th September 2008, 10:01   #27
BANNED

4 laning has started seriously on NH4 between Hosakote and Mulbagilu. The first of the diversions was active yesterday morning at Narasapura. Going from Bangalore, one has to turn left into Narasapura town just after Kamat Upachar.

There are no signboards that say 'Take Diversion' or 'Road Closed'. One has to see the red cones / tape and turn appropriately.

14 km before Chittoor town (from Bangalore, sorry but I wasn't keeping track of the tripmeter yesterday) - construction happening on the road without any diversion. Please be ultra cautious after crossing the ghat between Palamneru and Chittoor.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:05   #28
BHPian

Someone told me at my office that one should avoid driving via Kolar, Hoskote after sun-set. If you are starting early morning then via Kolar is lot better.
alpha_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 12:05   #29
BANNED

I was planning to take the GQ route yesterday morning but the front page in the Chennai edition of Deccan Chronicle had some news on disruption in Vellore (someone called me and told me this). So decided to take NH4 all the way.

Yes, NH4 from Bangalore to Chennai is to be avoided after dark. I have been doing this route for donkey's years though so day / night does not make too much of a difference to me.
Old 21st September 2008, 10:03   #30
BHPian

Default Update on NH4

I had posted this on a Bangalore - Vellore thread...but this might be more useful here.

I just did Bangalore - Chittoor - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore. Total distance was 430Km. Started early morning and was back in Bangalore by 4pm.

The Bolero DI gave approx 13kpl.

Bangalore - Vellore (NH4) took 3.5hrs with a breakfast stop. A/C was on for 25% of the distance. Very involving drive. But look out for surprises in the form of idiotic humps placed on curves. Certain sections of the road are dug up and later made into car-breaker humps. Very very Dangerous. Also, four-laning work is going on with the road dug up on both sides towards Bangalore. These mounds of debris on both sides of the road along with idiotic morons on high-beams can be a lethal mix after dark. AVOID this route at night at all costs.

Vellore - Bangalore (GQ) took 3.5hrs with a lunch break. A/C was on for 100% of the distance. The speed hovered around 100kmph most of the time. The drive on GQ was a breeze though boring. But i'd choose the boring over a dangerous one any day. The road is well planned, well laid out and well marked. Didn't even find a single pot-hole till Hosur where Bangalore welcomed us with loud thuds and panic braking. Hats-off to Tamil Nadu for understanding the importance of roads and keeping it well maintained. On the way back, turned right at Attibele and reached Varthur and then took the Whitefield road....a BIG MISTAKE. This road is a MESS till KR Puram railway station. This road to ITPL is a SHAME.

Last edited by Torqy : 21st September 2008 at 10:04.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote