Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th December 2007, 17:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

the peak is one of the heighest in south india(6000+ft) so i guess now you drop the plan of climbing it

its great for trekkers(i was lucky to climb it once too in 2004) but not for family..

the peak is visible almost from anywhere after you close kalpetta i guess(covered with clouds most of the times) perhaps once you are in kalpetta you can ask for the route

the road leading to chembra peak has tea plantations around but i am not sure about the road conditions.. so unless someone gives latest updates, perhaps you have to try yourself and give us the update

so you can atleast go till the foot of the hill and come back if you have time
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 18:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

And i hope you have seen this thread where i had similar queries about where tea estates are located

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...uly-end-3.html (Weather in wayand( July end))
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 19:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dear rajshenoy, Thanks. I think i will go with ur advice. Just drive to places and have fun And sure, I will update the road status..
MJ
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 08:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Friends, seems to be lot of rain in TN. Is there any expected / rains in and around wayanad? Please let me know.
Old 31st December 2007, 21:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Had a very good trip to Wayanad during Christmas days. Except for some streach between Gundalpet & after Bandipur forest, rest of the roads was really very good. Visited Pookote lake & soochipara falls. Great places. Thanks for all your suggesstions...
Old 1st January 2008, 22:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Meenmutty - How can I forget that place?Advice of taking a guide was very good. I didn't get any such and got lost somewhere. THis was in the rainy season and I started getting alarmed when we started seeing vipers and other snakes by the dozen. Decided to turn back(we were a group of 5) and that is when I noticed two pin pricks on my forearm, bleeding slightly.

Snakebite ! Ok, so it is curtains for me, I thought. Informed one guy in the group(who I thought could take the news and he took it well) and we started our way back. I was half expecting to fall down anytime, but carried on nevertheless. Then I just wiped my forearm and BINGO, one pin prick vanished. So the other one was from a thorn after all. It was very tough, climbing back, and I almost collapsed after doing the climb, out of sheer exhaustion. Not advisable with family.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 22:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Kuttapan welcome to Wayanad . I have been there done that and still continue to do so once in about every 2/3 months.

Next time when you travel, try visiting the Karapuzha dam. Ask some-one how to get to Nedumbala/Nathamguni and Trikkepetta.Trek thru the place, its a different experience altogether.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 22:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ok, one place is confirmed - Pookate lake
Also, i heard that we can drive till half-way to Chembra peak and enjoy those beautiful view from there. is it? How far we can go up in the car?

MJ
You can walk all the way up. Its a nice trek, school kids climbed that. Their picnic spot i guess. Here are few pics taken by my friend.. not much i have.

The heart shaped lake on the trail..

and finally thats me at summit...
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 23:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great info guys. Seems like I can hit these spots in couple of weeks!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
You can walk all the way up. Its a nice trek, school kids climbed that. Their picnic spot i guess. Here are few pics taken by my friend.. not much i have.
Meenmutty & Chembra - I couldnt visit with family. So, probably during my next visit

Here are some snaps from soochipara & pookatte lake...

White rose
[img=http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1045/img1394sh3.th.jpg]

Lilly flowers in Lake
[img=http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6101/img1425gf0.th.jpg]

View from Lake
[img=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3962/img1432tj6.th.jpg]

Way to Soochipara
[img=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7439/img1476vn3.th.jpg]

Soochipara falls
[img=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9076/img1487js7.th.jpg]

Without this forum I couldnt have made this happencheers:
Will write the detials in travelogue section soon...
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:59   #26
BHPian

Nice photos, gkrishn and mjothi. I have only seen Chembra from a distance, never got a chance to scale it.

Soochippara was on the agenda during one of my visits, but had to trade it off for Kuruva for want of time and also due to popular demand.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:02   #27
BHPian

Btw is it safe to get into the water below the falls? I can see several people enjoying a dip. Hope there are no deep spots.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Btw is it safe to get into the water below the falls? I can see several people enjoying a dip. Hope there are no deep spots.
Getting down till the water is difficult (we did it on a rainy day when the rocks were wet and slippery), once in the water then there is no issues...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
yes. It little difficult to get to the water. Also, its slippery. So, i did not go below the fall but just trying to get myself into water along the falls. But there were guys who went all the way below the falls. I dont think its really advisable unless you are 200% sure of what you are doing.

Places like kuttralam has fence since its a tourist spot. but here its jsut nature, untouched by humans... so initiate is taken so far for those I guess...