Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th December 2007, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Planning the First Trip to Wayanad...

First, my sincere thanks to the team-bhp and members.
I already got good information from the thread by Samurai...[A weekend on the top of a tree]. I am planning to start from Bangalore on 25th morning. Plan is as follows,
1. Visit Sulthan Bathery & falls on the way to Kalpeta.
2. Stay in Kalpeta.
3. Next day visit Pookot late, chembra peak etc.
4. Stay in Panamaram [Entee veedu]
5. Next afternoon start to bangalore

I am planing to take the same route [Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangoodu-Gundlupet-Sultan Batherey-Kalpetta] mentioned by Samurai. But I would like to about the condition of the roads. I am driving on my Zen. If some friends who have recently traveled this strech can update me on the condition of the raod, it would be great.

I am very excited since this would be my first long distance for a vacation trip.

Any inputs, advices etc I would be more than happy to take it.

Thanks friends.
MJ
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Pls do a search for the places you want to go. Sultan Battery etc were discussed recently. You could continue the discussion on any of the old threads - helps to find information in same thread when we search again, instead of having to go through multiple threads.

One thread for Wayanad:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-country.html (Weekend Travelogue: Wayanad (My First Step to God's Own Country))
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:53   #3
BHPian

Quick comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
1. Visit Sulthan Bathery & falls on the way to Kalpeta.
If you are referring to Meenmutty falls and you are going there first time, it might be a good idea to take a guide. It is not trivial to climb down and locate the falls. Moreover, the climb back to base wouldn't be easy unless you have some decent stamina. It is also advisable to carry some drinking water... I could go on, but I guess you got the drift.
Quote:
2. Stay in Kalpeta.
Do book in advance, or you might not find a decent place to stay. Kalpetta is full of Bangaloreans over weekends.
Quote:
But I would like to about the condition of the roads. I am driving on my Zen.
You would do well by being careful on the gundulpet-national-forest section in Karnataka. There are some BIG potholes and unmarked speed-breakers there. After that, the surface is good and the road has nice curves that you will enjoy in your Zen.

Just for reference, my description of the road condition is based on my experience during last week of November-07.

Last edited by Su-47 : 8th December 2007 at 23:57. Reason: Added travel date.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 09:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have booked for both days in Entee Veedu.
Since I am with my 1yr old daugther, I think i may need to skip those meenumutty falls. Let me see.
Tks for the updates on roads.
Old 10th December 2007, 01:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Chembra peak is not something that you can climb with a 1 yr old kid. Its pretty steep. Same goes with Edakkal Caves.

You can go to Suchipura Falls, which is a nice place. However you will have to walk downhill of about a km and walk the same distance back.

Please search for the various threads on road conditions. Bangalore - Gundulpet is good. Gundulpet to Wayanad forest section is bad. Once you enter Kerala the roads are awesome.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 17:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Hi MJ

Seeing your requirements, it looks like a family sort of trip with small kids..Wayanad is a heaven for trekkers but not sure about kids..

I went to wayanad last month and stayed in vythiri resort which is also just 4 kms from the pookot lake...

i felt the resort is worth staying.. especially the ambience and sorroundings.. you dont have to go anywhere else..

About the road conditions, well.. only the stretch between gundlupet and bandipur is bad(manageable though) just watch out for those big holes..which can break your back..

overall, it was a great drive..
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 19:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I went to wayanad last month and stayed in vythiri resort which is also just 4 kms from the pookot lake...
Hey, I was there in the last week of Nov. We could've held a mini-meet there...
Quote:
How did you like the road from NH212 to the resort? Hehehe
Old 10th December 2007, 20:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Its a family trip. I am more interested to visit those place and view those green beauty. May be driving through the tea/coffe estates, and lakes. These falls and caves are just an option. Just in case we can make it happen.

I got similar feedback for the Entee Veedu in Panamara area. So, booked in there. As you said, I may even end up just exploring those near by places and inside the resort. So, no stress just relax in a place far away from home...

Cheers!!!
MJ

Quote:
Hi MJ

Seeing your requirements, it looks like a family sort of trip with small kids..Wayanad is a heaven for trekkers but not sure about kids..

i felt the resort is worth staying.. especially the ambience and sorroundings.. you dont have to go anywhere else..

About the road conditions, well.. only the stretch between gundlupet and bandipur is bad(manageable though) just watch out for those big holes..which can break your back..

Old 11th December 2007, 07:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He will not take the bandipur route to go to Wayanad. He will continue right from Gundlupet. Bad stretch comes after Gundlupet towards bandipur.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 09:56   #10
BHPian

Abhi, I think he meant the Gundulpet-Muthunga forest road. Off late, even that is bad. When I went in May it was good, this time it had some *serious* potholes.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:25   #11
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Abhi, I think he meant the Gundulpet-Muthunga forest road. Off late, even that is bad. When I went in May it was good, this time it had some *serious* potholes.

Which way is this? Does it come on Gundlupet - Sultanbathery route or Gundlupet - Nilambur route???
mogambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 11:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, i meant that

And btw, i had been there on Nov 3rd.. so perhaps we may not have met

And the last 3 kms to the resort, well...my wife was almost shouting saying lets go back.. i dont want to stay in such a sad place which doesnt even have a proper road...

and when we reached.......she was like
Old 11th December 2007, 11:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Its a family trip. I am more interested to visit those place and view those green beauty. May be driving through the tea/coffe estates, and lakes. These falls and caves are just an option. Just in case we can make it happen.

I got similar feedback for the Entee Veedu in Panamara area. So, booked in there. As you said, I may even end up just exploring those near by places and inside the resort. So, no stress just relax in a place far away from home...

Cheers!!!
MJ
Yes, when you are with ur family.. just think of relaxing, and drive through the tea estates

perhaps you can drive till some guest house in the foot of Chembra peak and enjoy that view(lots of tea estates on the way)

and pookot lake, you can try those boats its worth it..

And if you still have time, try those body massages..may be expensive, but it will make your stay even more relaxing
Old 11th December 2007, 11:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did you like the road from NH212 to the resort? Hehehe
The photo that i have put up in my avatar is taken on that road only
Old 11th December 2007, 12:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ok, one place is confirmed - Pookate lake
Also, i heard that we can drive till half-way to Chembra peak and enjoy those beautiful view from there. is it? How far we can go up in the car?

MJ

Quote:
Yes, when you are with ur family.. just think of relaxing, and drive through the tea estates

perhaps you can drive till some guest house in the foot of Chembra peak and enjoy that view(lots of tea estates on the way)

and pookot lake, you can try those boats its worth it..

And if you still have time, try those body massages..may be expensive, but it will make your stay even more relaxing