Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2008, 23:53   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 325
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junky View Post
the roads are bad after the toll road ends, keep your tyre pressure low to sustain these roads,
sudden pot holes of 5-6 inches deep will keep u swearing , try to keep as much to the center of the road (cannot due to oncomming traffic),
take a break at dharmapuri at meenakshi (not sure) hotel to the left. Do not miss the IDLY fry. (I loved it).

Overtake carefully on these roads as construction vehicles will be plying around.
Build up as much speed possible in these 4 lane roads/ toll roads so that you can compensate the time on the bad bumpy patchy roads.


There is also bypass road which connects hosur to thoppur u can take this route aswell, there is not much traffic, neat calm roads except at village stretches

Where to take the bypass from hosur to thoppur.? Can you describe?

It would be useful when I go to coimbatore
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 12:04   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Instead of Musiri - Trichy - Tanjore, Musiri - Ariyalur - Tanjore would be shorter by 50 kms and good road. May be on your return...
Freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 18:19   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Bangalore to Thanjavur via Musiri - Lalgudi

I need to travel from Bangalore to Melattur (a village near Thanjavur) this thursday. I would like to bypass Trichy (and avoid all the construction activity on Trichy-Thanjavur Road) if possible. Google maps shows a diversion just before Kollidam river bridge, on the Musiri - Trichy road (SH 25) onto NH 227 to Lalgudi and then a state highway ( SH22) from Lalgudi, merging into NH27 near thiruvaiyaru.

Any ideas on the road conditions for NH227 upto Lalgudi and SH22 from Lalgudi ?

The planned route is Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Musiri - Lalgudi - Thanjavur. Is this a better alternative to driving via Trichy ? Pls. advice.
chandras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 21:14   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 880 Times
Default

Anyone done Bangalore->Tanjore recently can update on the road conditions please ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 28th October 2009 at 21:26.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 00:09   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Has anyone made this trip recently? What is the best route that goes via Salem? What road (highway #) do you take from Namakkal to Musiri? Also, Freecat said "Instead of Musiri - Trichy - Tanjore, Musiri - Ariyalur - Tanjore would be shorter by 50 kms and good road". Can you provide details on going to Tanjavur via Ariyalur? Thanks
oldmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 06:18   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmobile View Post
Has anyone made this trip recently? What is the best route that goes via Salem? What road (highway #) do you take from Namakkal to Musiri? Also, Freecat said "Instead of Musiri - Trichy - Tanjore, Musiri - Ariyalur - Tanjore would be shorter by 50 kms and good road". Can you provide details on going to Tanjavur via Ariyalur? Thanks
Ariyalur option is the one you take, if you are using the NH45 side of the route. Or the one suggested above was to take the Attur route from Salem and come via Perambalur.

I was looking at GM. All the distances come out to be same. I could not see how one route reduces by 50Km.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 10:36   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

What one could do is to take either of the following options.

1. Namakkal - Musiri - Thuraiyur - Perambalur - Ariyalur.
2. Namakkal - Thathaiyangarpettai - Thuraiyur - Perambalur - Ariyalur.

But both of these options would not make sense if you are final destination is Thanjavur or Kumbakonam.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 10:54   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
What one could do is to take either of the following options.

1. Namakkal - Musiri - Thuraiyur - Perambalur - Ariyalur.
2. Namakkal - Thathaiyangarpettai - Thuraiyur - Perambalur - Ariyalur.

But both of these options would not make sense if you are final destination is Thanjavur or Kumbakonam.
The other option then is (I think as you suggested in the Trichy thread)
Avoid Musiri by getting out of Salem on NH68 and come via Thuraiyur.

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&so...7&ie=UTF8&z=12
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 18:43   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default bangalore to thanjavur

hi,

Planning a trip from Bangalore to Thanjavur. Advise of recent road travellers on this route and road conditions sought. Also, what is the best route in terms of road conditions? thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th December 2011 at 18:50. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.
highway rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 19:02   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

The route would be via Trichy.

- Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal (Nh7/4L)
- Salem-Thottayam-Musiri-Trichy Bypass (Patched up SH.)
- Trichy Bypass-Tanjore : NH67/4L

Using Musiri-Trichy SH would directly lead you to NH45 and there on to NH67.

Route : link
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:53   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 889
Thanked: 638 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The route would be via Trichy.

- Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal (Nh7/4L)
- Salem-Thottayam-Musiri-Trichy Bypass (Patched up SH.)
- Trichy Bypass-Tanjore : NH67/4L

Using Musiri-Trichy SH would directly lead you to NH45 and there on to NH67.

Route : link
Avoid namakkal-musiri-trichy route. Better option is thuraiyur road. Read my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2569813

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 20:31   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Avoid namakkal-musiri-trichy route. Better option is thuraiyur road. Read my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2569813

-Ravi
I saw that Ravi. Some time some of my folks had taken the Musiri route and they said it was fine.
Hence I suggested, Has it deteriorated the last one month or two?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 22:05   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 889
Thanked: 638 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I saw that Ravi. Some time some of my folks had taken the Musiri route and they said it was fine.
Hence I suggested, Has it deteriorated the last one month or two?
I travelled by bus in that route very recently. Though roads are not too bad, sand lorries are big torture. For stress free drive and to reach faster with good average speed, it is definitely better option to take thuraiyur road.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 22:47   #29
BHPian
 
KRRaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Which is the best route to take from Bangalore to Kumbakonam? I did the trip one year back and took the Bangalore - Krishnagiri - TMalai - Panrutti - Kumbakonam. But with the horror that is Krishnagiri - TMalai, which is the other best route to take? I hear most routes are broken due to the recent rains. I need good roads as my parents will be coming
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 00:06   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Which is the best route to take from Bangalore to Kumbakonam? I did the trip one year back and took the Bangalore - Krishnagiri - TMalai - Panrutti - Kumbakonam. But with the horror that is Krishnagiri - TMalai, which is the other best route to take? I hear most routes are broken due to the recent rains. I need good roads as my parents will be coming
It would be definitely better to go via Trichy/Tanjore, You get much better roads (Many cases 4L)
Only debatable part is the Namakkal-Trichy section. Ravi mentions take the Thuraiyur road instead of Musiri.


Route is about 50km more, but much better roads.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore LNG Route / Travel Queries 133 30th August 2016 16:12
Bangalore to Trichy, Thanjavur, Velankanni, Kumbakonam, Chidambaram & Rameswaram in a week for_cars1 Travelogues 3 15th May 2015 15:41
Hyderabad - Thanjavur (via Bangalore-Trichy) jeetaman Route / Travel Queries 10 3rd August 2013 18:43
Madurai - Munnar - Thanjavur queries (mainly food-related) rajushank84 Route / Travel Queries 4 2nd February 2011 20:09
Need route/lodging/restaurant info for trip to Kumbakonam/Thanjavur/Trichy & nearby sathya_nars Route / Travel Queries 12 24th June 2009 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks