Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 10:12   #1
BHPian

Arrow alternate route for chennai-trichy

hello

a couple recent posts suggested that the NH45 is not in a good shape after Thindivanam. Hence would request you for a alternate route from chennai-trichy,along with stop points and distance/time charts.

thank u
sathya_j2084 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th December 2007, 14:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
hello

a couple recent posts suggested that the NH45 is not in a good shape after Thindivanam. Hence would request you for a alternate route from chennai-trichy,along with stop points and distance/time charts.

thank u
You could try Chennai - Pondicherry (use the ECR) - Cuddalore -Sirkali - Mayavaram (Mayilaaduthurai) - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy

or you can do

Chennai - Pondicherry - Cuddalore - Gangaikondan - Virudachalam - Jayakondam - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy.

My friend told me there's a road directly from Jayakondam to Trichy. But I'm not sure about it.

Sorry I don't have distances right now.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 15:08   #3
BHPian

Try this route:

Chennai-Pondy-Cuddalore-Vridhachalam-Thittakudi-Tholudhur-Samayapuram-Trichy
Dhanasekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Duplicate posting Message delted

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 24th March 2008 at 15:49.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 15:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Update on Chennai - Trichy Road conditions as of March 23rd.

Chennai - Tindivanam - No issues as covered by every one

Tindivanam - Villupuram - The worst stretch in the entire distance. Need to be careful while driving because of potholes in the old stretches, especially near Mundiyambakkam sugar factory. Took me 55 minutes to reach Tindivanam from Villupuram.

Villupuram - Trichy - Not as bad as whats being told in this forum. Most of the cases the traffic moves on new roads while the potholes in stretches of old roads has been patched up in most cases. The worst part of this stretch is until you reach the starting point of Trichy Byepass from Trichy Jn which is more to do with high traffic along with some poor and narrow roads.

Did Trichy - Chennai in about 6 hours 45 minutes which included 3 breaks totalling 30 minutes.

Please note that I did this stretch on my way back from Kodaikanal after heavy rains had lashed this side of TN the previous few days. Also I was driving a Wagon R with 3 adults and 2 kids. As a matter of fact based on the advice on the forum about avoiding the Chennai - Trichy stretch I took a circuitious route to Dindigul (Chennai - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul) as I started at 6.30 in the evening from Chennai, ended up facing some horrible stretches between Salem and Karur. Realised the misatake on my return, my advice is, the Chennai - Trichy stretch is not as bad as it is being potrayed, the only stretch which one should be careful of is between Villupuram and Tindivanam.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Update on Chennai - Trichy Road conditions as of March 23rd.

Chennai - Tindivanam - No issues as covered by every one

Tindivanam - Villupuram - The worst stretch in the entire distance. Need to be careful while driving because of potholes in the old stretches, especially near Mundiyambakkam sugar factory. Took me 55 minutes to reach Tindivanam from Villupuram.

Villupuram - Trichy - Not as bad as whats being told in this forum. Most of the cases the traffic moves on new roads while the potholes in stretches of old roads has been patched up in most cases. The worst part of this stretch is until you reach the starting point of Trichy Byepass from Trichy Jn which is more to do with high traffic along with some poor and narrow roads.

Did Trichy - Chennai in about 6 hours 45 minutes which included 3 breaks totalling 30 minutes.

Please note that I did this stretch on my way back from Kodaikanal after heavy rains had lashed this side of TN the previous few days. Also I was driving a Wagon R with 3 adults and 2 kids. As a matter of fact based on the advice on the forum about avoiding the Chennai - Trichy stretch I took a circuitious route to Dindigul (Chennai - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul) as I started at 6.30 in the evening from Chennai, ended up facing some horrible stretches between Salem and Karur. Realised the misatake on my return, my advice is, the Chennai - Trichy stretch is not as bad as it is being potrayed, the only stretch which one should be careful of is between Villupuram and Tindivanam.
Old 30th March 2008, 16:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhanasekaran View Post
Try this route:

Chennai-Pondy-Cuddalore-Vridhachalam-Thittakudi-Tholudhur-Samayapuram-Trichy
Any idea how long this route would take as compared with the usual national Highway route?
sekharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 19:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekharr View Post
Any idea how long this route would take as compared with the usual national Highway route?
NH 45 VIA Tindivanam,villupuram,ulundurpet and thozudhur is the direct and best route possible ,anything else is waste of time and not worth trying imo.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 00:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

The problem is the bad road conditions and the four laning work going on. So its upto the individual to decide whether he wants to struggle through bad roads, heavy traffic just because its the shortest distance, or though longer take a route with the least hassles and enjoy the drive.

I would definitely take a longer route if I can enjoy the ride better and get to see something different rather than watching out for holes and diversions and generally getting tired by the time I reach my destination.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 21:59   #10

I quite agree!! Shortest is not always the best!!
sekharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 12:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion except for Tindivanam to Villupuram the rest of the stretch is fine, if one can plan the trip in such a way that the Tindivanam-Villupuram portion is done during day light hours I dont see any problems doing Chennai - Trichy through the regular route,

Alternatively if one does not want to do this stretch at all you could do the Chennai - Tindivanam - take a detour at Vikravandi towards Kumbakonam, cross Panruti, Sethiatoppu then a detour to Jayamkondam and take the direct route to Trichy from Jayamkondam via Kallakudi.
Old 1st April 2008, 17:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Alternatively if one does not want to do this stretch at all you could do the Chennai - Tindivanam - take a detour at Vikravandi towards Kumbakonam, cross Panruti, Sethiatoppu then a detour to Jayamkondam and take the direct route to Trichy from Jayamkondam via Kallakudi.
But isn't the Vikravandi-Panruti road also bad?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But isn't the Vikravandi-Panruti road also bad?
My native village is near Villupuram, so I traditionally take the Vikaravandi - Panruti road (where I take a detour about 4 kms before the Koliyanur cross road) this stretch of about 6 kms is slightly rough but comfortable to do about 70kmph. It is far better than the Tindivanam - Villupuram stretch
Old 10th April 2008, 10:51   #14
BHPian

Lightbulb ECR and NH45A to Trichy?

In order to avoid the Tindivanam to Villupuram stretch, What about Chennai - Pondy via ECR (approx 130 kms) and then Pondy to Villupuram on NH45A (45 kms). Almost the same as Chennai to Villupuram via Tindivanam?

Getting out of the city via ECR is probably easier and fun to drive as well.. also this seems to by pass Villupuram town. any thoughts?
PraveenM is online now   Reply With Quote