Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 17:55   #466
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Thanks for this Zezé. The reason I was looking forward to this route was because it passes through a jungle reserve. Was hoping that the route will be scenic. Also that route seems to be the best route to get to south Goa. It seems to avoid most of the usual traffic spots and most importantly the NH17. I have asked Airforce1 for his experience. Hopefully that should help me decide which route to take.
After you have completed your trip, please post an update of the route you finally traveled and the road conditions.

I am traveling next month from Hyderabad to Varca and whilst my route up to Belgavi has been finalised, like you I am in a bit of a quandary regarding the last leg; whether to travel via Chorla or Mollen.
Zezé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 14:36   #467
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 247
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Thanks. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to take this route.

The reason I was looking forward to this route was because it passes through a jungle reserve. Was hoping that the route will be scenic.
It is not exceptionally scenic but its quite thrilling to drive through the thick forests. If you are lucky you might spot some wild animals. I saw only a jackal from very close. Sharing some pics of the forest route ( Khanapur--Hemmadga--Anmod ). This was in April 2016, expect some bad patches post monsoons.
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-img_20160415_102610.jpg


Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-img_20160415_102815.jpg




Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post

I am traveling next month from Hyderabad to Varca and whilst my route up to Belgavi has been finalised, like you I am in a bit of a quandary regarding the last leg; whether to travel via Chorla or Mollen.
Don't worry much about the last leg. The shortest and best route between Belgaum and Varca is Belgaum--NH4A--Khanapur--Hemmadga--Anmod--NH4A--Anmod ghat--Mollem--Ponda--Madgaon--Varca. Trust Google maps entirely here and you are through.

If you wish to take Chorla route on the return, not a big problem at all. You can explore both these routes. For Chorla it would be Varca--Madgaon--Ponda--NH4A till Banastarim junction--Marcel--Amona bridge--Sanquelim--Chorla ghat--Belgaum. Don't drive towards Panjim city for getting onto Chorla ghat, take the direct Madgaon--Ponda route as mentioned above and in my earlier posts.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 14:43   #468
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 286
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
It is not exceptionally scenic but its quite thrilling to drive through the thick forests. If you are lucky you might spot some wild animals.
Right. You have me sold on this. Thanks for the pictures. Apparently they do seem to be worth the fabled 1000 words.
So its the Mollem route on the way to Goa and the Chorla route on the way back then. So the more thrilling route on the way to Goa and the fastest one on the way back home.
ptushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 16:04   #469
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Don't worry much about the last leg. The shortest and best route between Belgaum and Varca is Belgaum--NH4A--Khanapur--Hemmadga--Anmod--NH4A--Anmod ghat--Mollem--Ponda--Madgaon--Varca. Trust Google maps entirely here and you are through.

If you wish to take Chorla route on the return, not a big problem at all. You can explore both these routes. For Chorla it would be Varca--Madgaon--Ponda--NH4A till Banastarim junction--Marcel--Amona bridge--Sanquelim--Chorla ghat--Belgaum. Don't drive towards Panjim city for getting onto Chorla ghat, take the direct Madgaon--Ponda route as mentioned above and in my earlier posts.
Thanks, Vivek. for you inputs regarding the last leg of the trip. As suggested, I will follow the routes mentioned by you.

The pics that you have posted remind me of a drive through a forest reserve on the way to the Lingmala Falls, near Mahabaleshwar. Long narrow winding road, with an opportunity to spot some small deer.
Zezé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 10:38   #470
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Hi All

I am travelling end of Feb From Vashi to Bardez. Staying around 2 kms from Baga beach. Travelling with Family kids aged 9 and 3 with the younger one prone to sickness on sharp turns/uneven roads. Stuck between 2 choices of routes:

1. Vashi-Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Bardez - 545 kms - 9.50 hrs per Google Maps
2. Vashi-Nipani-Belgavi-Chorla-Sanquelim-Bardez - 575 Kms - 10 hrs per Google Maps

I havent travelled from Amboli ever since I discovered the beauty thats Chorla. The time difference is also quite comparable for me to choose any of the alternatives.

However my gutfeel is that the Belgavi/Chorla route will have better roads throughout vs Amboli/Sawantwadi.

Can any experts/recent travellers give me their view? Especially anyone who travelled in say the last 30 days or so.

I travelled via Chorla 3 months ago and absolutely loved it!
vikram31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 11:05   #471
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 430
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi All
Travelling with Family kids aged 9 and 3 with the younger one prone to sickness on sharp turns/uneven roads. Stuck between 2 choices of routes:

1. Vashi-Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Bardez - 545 kms - 9.50 hrs per Google Maps
2. Vashi-Nipani-Belgavi-Chorla-Sanquelim-Bardez - 575 Kms - 10 hrs per Google Maps

However my gutfeel is that the Belgavi/Chorla route will have better roads throughout vs Amboli/Sawantwadi.

Can any experts/recent travellers give me their view? Especially anyone who travelled in say the last 30 days or so.
I would suggest option-1 for following reasons:

1. Length of Amboli ghat section is lesser than Chorla which would be better for your younger kid.

2. Even though the difference is only 30 kms, Amboli route will "feel" shorter and thus will be less tiring for your family.

3. Traveling across Belgavi is a dicy thing. If you get stuck in traffic then you might waste precious time and that too after traveling for 5-6 hours which will be very tiring for everyone in the car.

4. Amboli route is not that bad. It has some rough patches but nothing that would slow you down or make your kids uncomfortable.
the_skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 14:09   #472
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I would suggest option-1 for following reasons:

1. Length of Amboli ghat section is lesser than Chorla which would be better for your younger kid.
2. Even though the difference is only 30 kms, Amboli route will "feel" shorter and thus will be less tiring for your family.
3. Traveling across Belgavi is a dicy thing. If you get stuck in traffic then you might waste precious time and that too after traveling for 5-6 hours which will be very tiring for everyone in the car.
4. Amboli route is not that bad. It has some rough patches but nothing that would slow you down or make your kids uncomfortable.
Thanks the_skyliner...i was thinking on similar lines...Though I have never found crazy traffic at Belgavi, i cant rule it out. Also, better to do Amboli on the onward journey, if good enough will return via the same route but if not, can always come back via Chorla.

Re the bad patches, nothing the XUV should struggle with. agreed?
vikram31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 15:07   #473
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 430
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Thanks the_skyliner...i was thinking on similar lines...Though I have never found crazy traffic at Belgavi, i cant rule it out. Also, better to do Amboli on the onward journey, if good enough will return via the same route but if not, can always come back via Chorla.

Re the bad patches, nothing the XUV should struggle with. agreed?
Completely:

I didn't notice your ride in your signature otherwise would have added one more reason to opt for Amboli:

5. There are no rough patches that XUV can't handle.
the_skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 22:51   #474
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Guys just back from my trip and can confirm the amboli ghat is in tip top shape. On my return leg, I covered the 556 kms from Panjim bridge to Palm Beach road, sanpada in flat 8 hours including a quick kamat lunch break. Perfect road conditions?
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 12:22   #475
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Guys just back from my trip and can confirm the amboli ghat is in tip top shape. On my return leg, I covered the 556 kms from Panjim bridge to Palm Beach road, sanpada in flat 8 hours including a quick kamat lunch break. Perfect road conditions?
I checked this route on GMAps and its saying it would take 9hrs 45 mins for this. I have noticed that I am never able to significantly beat the timing estimate of GMaps. Can you give details/tips to follow to get the kind of timing you got that too including the lunch?

I will be driving down from Andheri to Margao this Saturday so was expecting to be faster than the expected 11 hours that GMaps is predicting for me. Planning on taking this road - https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Bh....2777263?hl=en
praveen789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 13:09   #476
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nasik / Mumbai
Posts: 426
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I checked this route on GMAps and its saying it would take 9hrs 45 mins for this. I have noticed that I am never able to significantly beat the timing estimate of GMaps. Can you give details/tips to follow to get the kind of timing you got that too including the lunch?

I will be driving down from Andheri to Margao this Saturday so was expecting to be faster than the expected 11 hours that GMaps is predicting for me. Planning on taking this road - https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Bh....2777263?hl=en
It all depends on what speeds you are driving at. The algorithm probably assumes that you will drive at the an average speed equal to the speed limit in the areas with no traffic. I had successfully brought my ETA down by 15-20 minutes between Satara and Kolhapur when I drove at a constant 100kmph on the Speedo on this exact same route last Sunday.

If you drive in the 120s and further up, the ETA will dive even faster.

My actual time of reaching was alright when I add the times I was voluntarily stationary along the way.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 14:43   #477
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I checked this route on GMAps and its saying it would take 9hrs 45 mins for this. I have noticed that I am never able to significantly beat the timing estimate of GMaps. Can you give details/tips to follow to get the kind of timing you got that too including the lunch?

I will be driving down from Andheri to Margao this Saturday so was expecting to be faster than the expected 11 hours that GMaps is predicting for me. Planning on taking this road -
Hi Praveen

I have seen the google can be inaccurate especially on NH4 because there are patches where you can really zip. Lets take your map guide. If it recommends 11 hrs for 619 kms, it is assuming 56 bps avg without stops.

I can confirm that the 100 kms patch between Vashi and Pune (Wakad), you can easily average 80+ including toll wait time and the ghat section.

Incrementally, post Katraj and the hills after Pune, from 30 kms before Satara all the way to Kolhapur, you get clean stretches. I can confirm, I had cruise control on between 100-120 for quite a number of occasions.

These quick roads help to save time. Regarding, lunch stops, I usually do quick pitstops at Kamats or a KFC/MCD stop. Easy to make and quick digesting food like Dal and roti or a simple burger and coffee are usually time savers.

Also, if you are going to MArgao, please go via Belagavi and Chorla instead of Amboli.
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 15:27   #478
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi Praveen

I have seen the google can be inaccurate especially on NH4 because there are patches where you can really zip. Lets take your map guide. If it recommends 11 hrs for 619 kms, it is assuming 56 bps avg without stops.

Also, if you are going to MArgao, please go via Belagavi and Chorla instead of Amboli.
Sounds doable. But unfortunately, I got stuck in traffic at Belagavi on both occasions I had traveled. Hope this time would be better. I am planning on going via Anmod.

By the way what is bps? Did you mean km/h?
praveen789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 22:37   #479
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Sounds doable. But unfortunately, I got stuck in traffic at Belagavi on both occasions I had traveled. Hope this time would be better. I am planning on going via Anmod.

By the way what is bps? Did you mean km/h?
Sorry I means kmph.. apologies
vikram31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 13:05   #480
BHPian
 
TaurusAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai - MH 01
Posts: 513
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Hello Everyone,

I travel to Goa almost once in 2 months and use NH4. For strange reason I am keen using NH66 (NH17) after real long time. Must have used it extensively about a couple of years back.

Anyone has any idea about current conditions ? I drive a TUV 300
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries kiranpashtakar Route / Travel Queries 942 22nd September 2017 06:50
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries deepakvrao Route / Travel Queries 3972 20th September 2017 14:15
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries magiceye Route / Travel Queries 2173 16th September 2017 20:52
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Goa Route Queries windsurfer Route / Travel Queries 299 23rd June 2015 22:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks