Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd December 2007, 18:46   #1
Default Mumbai-Mangalore

Hi guys,
Planning to go to Mangalore from Mumbai in the 2nd week of Jan. Have read horror stories of NH17 so please suggest best alternative route. After a couple of nights in Vittal (about 30kms from Mangalore) plan to go to Coorg and after a couple of nights there go to Hassan visit Belur Halebid and then onwards to Bangalore. Bangalore to Mumbai on Nh4. Appreciate any inputs re route/road conditions. Thank you all so much.
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 15:01   #2

Hi Magiceye

Have reached Mangalore - Kundapur (Mumbai - Panvel - NH4 - Kumta - Sirsi - Honnavar - Kundapur) on 24th started on 23rd. The drive till Belgaum was a dream - one that you will see and witness abroad but after you hit honnavar there are craters more deeper than those on the moon. I have never seen these kind of roads anywhere and used to curse the BMC for our roads back home. Imagine this is the NH17 going to Kerala, wonder how cars really make it?

Anyways now i am going to leave on 2nd morning and am planning to head from Kundapur - Vandse - Murudeshwar and then NH4, but am still unsure if there is a connect there so that I can skip the NH17 - am sweating already thinking about NH17, I would like you to please checkif there is an alternate so that you can bypass the Honnavar - Kundapur belt as you will have a torrid time getting through.

Hope our friends will be able to guyide us if they have more inputs on bypassing the crater filled belt and reach safely.

Look forward to get more inputs from you guys....
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 21:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Best route is still nh17 because even other routes are bad as well.

I have travelled in NH17 few days back right now in Ankola.

NH17 is better now but still road is not smooth very very bumby ride with broken surface. Although less potholes now, NH17 is like village road no one call it national highway. When asked with concered people here they told me central governmenet has sanctioned for new layer for entire stretch of nh17 hopefully in few months they will do it.

Alternate routes:

1. Mangalore -> Kundapur -> Kumta -> Sirsi -> Haveri -> hubli -> belgaum -> pune. here instead of haveri you can go via mundgod but roads are in bad state :(

2. Mangalore -> Kundapur -> Kumta -> Sirsi -> Yellapur -> Haliyaal -> belgaum -> pune.

and vice versa.

Last edited by ravibhat : 29th December 2007 at 21:06.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote