Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd April 2011, 23:01   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Assuming you would be somewhere near the ring road, I'd suggest the following route. Take the newly opened ring road to Tumkur road (via Magadi Road and Kanteerava Studio). You will face a huge mess on Mysore road, but after that it is smooth sailing till Tumkur road. Take left towards Tumkur, get on the Elevated road and move towards Nelamangala. You will pay toll just after the elevated road. Watch out for signs towards Mangalore and Kunigal and take the exit from the tolled road.

Take left once you exit the tolled road and continue. You will pass Kunigal, Bellur Cross, Hiresave, Channarayapatna on the way to Hassan. When reach Hassan, go through the city and take a right at Tanneeru Halla. Reach Belur and continue straight to Chikmagalur. There are ample signboards on the way finding directions should not be a problem.
addy & ampere - Thank you for the post, I stay very close to the nice road entrance the one near PES IT college and will be leaving early in the morning so no issue with the traffic and im fine with any route. So you guys still suggest to take the route as mentioned by addy? Thanks again for the help
Red Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:54   #137
Team-BHP Support

If you are close to NICE, then I would say just take it and go!
Nelamangala/NH48 is still better. But if you like Twisty roads, go with Magadi.
But be aware crossing Magadi would lead you through bad roads (about 3-4km). But the rest is fine.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 14:23   #138
BHPian

I will take the nelamangala road since I am familiar with this route. Thanks guys. I will be reaching Chikmagalur before 2pm and in the afternoon would like to visit Bhadra wild life sanctuary, is it doable?
Old 26th April 2011, 15:06   #139
Team-BHP Support

I would say it would be difficult. If your idea is to go to Bhadra WLS, you need to go separately. Starting at for any peaks would also be difficult.

What I would say is you can go visit Ayyanakere on the Kadur road.
Would make for a nice evening visit to the lake.
Old 29th April 2011, 17:53   #140
BHPian

I saw the pics of Ayyanakere on google, looks good!

My plan is like this:-

13th May - Reach chikmagalur town by 2pm and visit any near by place(May be Ayyanakere)
14th May - Yet to plan
15th May - Yet to plan
16th May - Start early morning towards bangalore, on the way back visit Belur & Halebidu.

I would like to visit the major places that I have googled:-

1.Kemmangundi
2.Hebbe Falls
3.Baba Budan Giri/Dattatreya Peeta
4.Mulayanagiri
5.Z-Point
6.Bhadra Wild Life Sanctuary

Wanted to visit Kudremukh but not sure whether I will be able to make it.

Help me to plan it out

Last edited by Red Circle : 29th April 2011 at 17:55.
Old 29th April 2011, 18:04   #141
Team-BHP Support

Here are some snaps of the lake that I uploaded on @asethi's TL.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...be-list-3.html (Finally, Chikmagalur is off my wannabe list! :-))

EDIT: Please note if you want to visit the lake, you will need to go on Kadur (The same road which has Taj Gateway).

Ifs about 20 km from Taj. You can easily miss the exact turn. Please let me know if you need the exact directions.
The lake is at Sakkarepatna

EDIT: At about 16th km from Taj Gateway you should see a small road on the left. Thats the one which goes to the lake.
Ask folks around to confirm.

Last edited by ampere : 29th April 2011 at 18:20.
Old 29th April 2011, 18:23   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
I saw the pics of Ayyanakere on google, looks good!

My plan is like this:-

13th May - Reach chikmagalur town by 2pm and visit any near by place(May be Ayyanakere)
14th May - Yet to plan
15th May - Yet to plan
16th May - Start early morning towards bangalore, on the way back visit Belur & Halebidu.

I would like to visit the major places that I have googled:-

1.Kemmangundi
2.Hebbe Falls
3.Baba Budan Giri/Dattatreya Peeta
4.Mulayanagiri
5.Z-Point
6.Bhadra Wild Life Sanctuary

Wanted to visit Kudremukh but not sure whether I will be able to make it.

Help me to plan it out

Read circle click here an old travelogue of mine covering these places you have mentioned. I would say do the Bhadra wild life sanctuary on a different trip. It needs to be planned separately and if possible go and stay at River Tern(property of JLR) an awesome place. Check threads from members red_rage and samurai , these folks have covered this place extensively.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 18:30   #143
Team-BHP Support

Totally agree to what Riju says. Keep Bhadra out of it. Stay at Jungle Lodges (River Tern).
Its a beautiful place to spend time.
Old 29th April 2011, 22:31   #144
BHPian

Thank you for the link, will check it. Whats up with Bhadra wild life, is it that its going to take a lot of time? Had stayed at Jungle lodges 3yrs back, it is indeed a wonderful place, this time I have already booked the rooms at Planters court since we are going in a group and staying at Jungle lodges for 3 days would turn out to be expensive!

Last edited by Red Circle : 29th April 2011 at 22:36.
Old 30th April 2011, 08:53   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Thank you for the link, will check it. Whats up with Bhadra wild life, is it that its going to take a lot of time? Had stayed at Jungle lodges 3yrs back, it is indeed a wonderful place, this time I have already booked the rooms at Planters court since we are going in a group and staying at Jungle lodges for 3 days would turn out to be expensive!
Its just that there are enough places to see and enjoy (at a leisurely pace!) in CKM it self that will need easily 2-3 days. Thats why was suggesting keeping Bhadra out of it.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:29   #146
Senior - BHPian

An easy to understand and comprehensive guide of the places to visit in Chikmagalur.The map is courtesy Panduranga Coffee Works in Chikmagalur(was given the map when we bought coffee from there)On an interesting note,the PCW guys apparently door delivery any small quantity of coffee to any place in India,as per what they told us when we visited them in March.

PS:I do not have any commercial affiliations with PCW in whatsoever manner!

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tourist-guide.gif
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 14:36   #147
BHPian

Hi, after a very helpful PM from Fauji we have planned for a 3 night trip to CKM tmorow. Require help in the foll. Any idea on the condition of roads inside CKM? The Bababudan giri, kemmangundi, Ayyankere, Sringeri and Mulliangiri roads are OK for hyundai accent? Is it a good idea (for a good drive, sights and eateries) to drive from CKM to Bangalore thru Bhadra (CKM-Tarikere-Kadur-tiptur-Tumkur-Bng) and reach Bangalore by evening? How long would it take if I chose this route for return trip?

Rgds
VW
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 20:28   #148
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest you to go via Sakkarepatna-Kadur instead of Bhadra.
Keep Bhadra out for another visit. This time you can focus around CKM,
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:50   #149
BHPian

Weekday Trip to Chikmagalur

Me and Wifey had been planning for a vacation for quite some time. Last week we decided to goto CKM and booked us a villa at
The Serai (after paying full advance, the only thing i did not like about Serai). I also booked a Taxi, since the plan was to completely relax. However, the evening before the travel (Aug 29) i decided that we dont really need a taxi and decided to drive on my own.

We started at 6 AM from C V Raman Nagar and reached Neelmangla via ORR by 7. Funnily, i payed the toll twice since after getting down the elevated road i noticed a sign board indicating Neelmangla on left. The exit lead me to a single toll booth only to join the main road again. The actual left was about 4kms from here. Anyway, once on NH48 we stopped at Cafe Coffee Day on the left for a short break, before reaching Hassan at around 9. We had breakfast at Hotel Sri Krishna and tanked up at the petrol bunk opposite it.

I followed the Karnataka Tourism signs towards MCF/Halebidu. We drove at lesuirely pace (about 60) on this not so good road reaching Halebidu at 11.
After touring the place we left for Belur reaching there at 12. . Again, road on this stretch is mangeable with some surprises. We did a brief stop at Yagachi Dam, reaching CKM at 1:30. This strecth is good, except when near CKM, and fun to drive. We finally reached our destination before 2.

The Serai is a really good place to stay and worth every penny. The pvt pool in each villa is what makes it a different experience. That said we spent rest of the day in the resort, WOWing every now and then over the views and other stuff. Food is good overall. Staff is also good and responsive though not as refined as say at Taj (and therefore not with that subtle snob). We could not go out much since, to put it correctly, it did not rain only for few times. The plus side of the rain was that it made the place more scenic and the dip in pool even more enjoyable. It's another point that getting into the pool was a chilly experience.

Next day we did a plantation walk and had good time at the Oma Spa. Then we decided to goto Mullayanagiri, but did a U turn about 2 kms from the peak since i was not sure if i can manage those single lane roads with no barricades. The fact that it was raining made it only more scary for me
and add to that i am petrified of heights. Never mind we enjoyed the ride all along. On the way down we stopped at MG Park and took a nice ride in the Toy Train. Rest of the day was photos, WOWs and more pool-ing.

Today, we left for Bangalore at 10:30, stopping for 5 mins for fueling up at Cafe Coffee Day near Kamat. We reached Neelmangla turn at 2:30 and our home by 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb1.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb3.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb4.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb6.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb8.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb9.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb10.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb11.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb12.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb13.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb14.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb15.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-tb16.jpg  

shubhamAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 07:58   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
The Serai is a really good place to stay and worth every penny. The pvt pool in each villa is what makes it a different experience. That said we spent rest of the day in the resort, WOWing every now and then over the views and other stuff. Food is good overall. Staff is also good and responsive though not as refined as say at Taj (and therefore not with that subtle snob). We could not go out much since, to put it correctly, it did not rain only for few times. The plus side of the rain was that it made the place more scenic and the dip in pool even more enjoyable. It's another point that getting into the pool was a chilly experience.
@Shubham,

Nice account there.

I think you can't compare Serai and the Taj Gateway.
That is because Serai is almost double the price of Taj (as per the last tariffs rate that I remember).
At least from that point of view I feel Taj is a VFM for the entry level luxury hotel. Serai is a cut above.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd September 2011 at 08:18.