Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd September 2011, 17:02   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Thanks ampere. If you include taxes and food in the Tariff, difference between Taj and Serai will reduce by 30-40%. I will say both are good in their own way.
shubhamAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:29   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Shubham,

Nice account there.

I think you can't compare Serai and the Taj Gateway.
That is because Serai is almost double the price of Taj (as per the last tariffs rate that I remember).
At least from that point of view I feel Taj is a VFM for the entry level luxury hotel. Serai is a cut above.
Serai is no VFM. This is my personal opinion. We stayed there in the first month of their opening when the prices were less but above Taj's. Now it is mind bogglingly expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Thanks ampere. If you include taxes and food in the Tariff, difference between Taj and Serai will reduce by 30-40%. I will say both are good in their own way.
They have increased the prices by having imported stuff everywhere inside the rooms and each room with a private pool - which is so small looks like plunge bath ( Vythri in Wayanad also has smilar one) - and outdoor bath area. A customer has to pay through the nose for these luxuries!! Good to stay if company pays like team outings!!!

Now with many homestays charging Rs 2 to 2.5K per person, Taj looks attractive if you can negoiate for a meal to be included in package!!
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:33   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Now with many homestays charging Rs 2 to 2.5K per person, Taj looks attractive if you can negoiate for a meal to be included in package!!
Typically one can get a good 2N/3D package for 17-18K all inclusive at Taj,
during their monsoon offers. When I checked last at Serai, they quoted about 13K for a single day. And then I gave-up!

The typical offer at Taj would be about 15-16K with BF and dinner.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 15:20   #154
BHPian

Default Re: One-day quick trip to Chikmagalur

Route1: Bangalore - Neelamangala - Kunigal - Chennarayanpatna - Hassan - Belur - Chikamagalur (Original route)

Route2: Bangalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Kadur - Birur - Lingadahalli - Chikamagalur (will cover Kemmanagundi)

Although Route1 is better, am considering Route2 as we can cover Kemmangundi and places around before reaching Chikmagalur. How are the road conditions in Route2. Are they double/single roads.

How is the road condition between Kemmangundi and Chikmagalur

Last edited by daisyb : 21st September 2011 at 15:22.
daisyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 15:36   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Route1: Bangalore - Neelamangala - Kunigal - Chennarayanpatna - Hassan - Belur - Chikamagalur (Original route)

Route2: Bangalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Kadur - Birur - Lingadahalli - Chikamagalur (will cover Kemmanagundi)

Although Route1 is better, am considering Route2 as we can cover Kemmangundi and places around before reaching Chikmagalur. How are the road conditions in Route2. Are they double/single roads.

How is the road condition between Kemmangundi and Chikmagalur
As you said route 1 is good. Road conditions beyond CKM i am not aware. Rains have been lashing in these areas.

Maybe Sushrutha or Addy can let u know about the road conditions between CKM & Kemmangundi.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 16:01   #156
BHPian

We are planning trekking etc. The last thing I want is rains to spoil our plans. Is Oct end good time to travel.
Old 21st September 2011, 17:27   #157
BHPian

Quote:
We are planning trekking etc. The last thing I want is rains to spoil our plans. Is Oct end good time to travel.
If you are planning trekking, the best person to be contacted is Addy Hemmige. As far as i know, he has done lot of trekking in those areas.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:32   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
As you said route 1 is good. Road conditions beyond CKM i am not aware. Rains have been lashing in these areas.

Maybe Sushrutha or Addy can let u know about the road conditions between CKM & Kemmangundi.
CKM - Kemmangundi Via Lingadahalli is in OK condition as of now. Some potholes here are there but managable by any sedan/car.

Don't even think of taking the route CKM-Kemmangundi Via Atthigundi in a car. It's not in good condition, But in a Jeep, This would be way tooooooooooooo beautiful as of now.

Quote:
You can't predict rain during the october in CKM area. You never know.
But it's gonna be way too Cold season during that time.
Addy had done a Treak to the same place during the same season which you have mentioned, check here for the detailed report n pics
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2121615 (Experiencing the Monsoon - On the Horse Face and on top of KA - A Trekkalog)
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:46   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
October end is a good time to travel, but it is going to be chilly. Btw, where were you planning to trek? Usually, it shouldn't be raining at that time, but you never know how the weather turns out.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:33   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
October end is a good time to travel, but it is going to be chilly. Btw, where were you planning to trek? Usually, it shouldn't be raining at that time, but you never know how the weather turns out.
Mulliangiri and the hills. But after seeing the pics from your trek, it looks scary. We are beginners in trekking. Just started. What routes would you suggest.
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:48   #161
Senior - BHPian

This is a query to all CKM stalwarts I am planning a trip to the area shortly and intend to cover the following areas:

- Mulaingiri Peak
- Baba Budan Hill/Dattapeeta
- Muthodi (this is the road that connects Attigundi to Balehonnur)
- Attigundi - Kemmangundi

Also, I am planning to drive back via CKM - Lingadahalli - Birur - Tumkur. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:02   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mulliangiri and the hills. But after seeing the pics from your trek, it looks scary. We are beginners in trekking. Just started. What routes would you suggest.
If it is Mullianagiri, it should be fine. It is a small trek and you can easily do it. There is a trail between Mullianagiri (temple) and Kavikalgandi check post. You get his checkpost just before Attigundi. This is a relatively safe trail (even in the monsoons). Except for one steep descent after the temple, it is relatively easy. At Kavikalgandi, you meet the main road where you can get buses. If you plan to move on to Bababudangiri from here, it is difficult as you have to walk on a ridge (scary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is a query to all CKM stalwarts I am planning a trip to the area shortly and intend to cover the following areas:

- Mulaingiri Peak
- Baba Budan Hill/Dattapeeta
- Muthodi (this is the road that connects Attigundi to Balehonnur)
- Attigundi - Kemmangundi

Also, I am planning to drive back via CKM - Lingadahalli - Birur - Tumkur. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....
How long are you planning to stay? Muthodi is in a different direction and the Attigundi-Muthodi road is pretty bad as is the Attigundi-Kemmangundi road.

A bit confused here, are you planning to drive back to Tumkur from Chikmagalur or Kemmangundi?
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:29   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How long are you planning to stay?
3-4 days.

Quote:
Muthodi is in a different direction and the Attigundi-Muthodi road is pretty bad...
When you say different direction, I am aware that it is a NW-erly leading road. I believe this road passes through the Bhadra WLS and the idea is exactly that - to drive through the forest and return to CKM. I am sure there would be forest dept checkposts on this route. Any timing restrictions?

Quote:
... as is the Attigundi-Kemmangundi road.
I thought so. In that case, I would probably drive till Baba Budan Hill and come back. Maybe a few kms further towards K'gundi, just for the heck of it

Quote:
A bit confused here, are you planning to drive back to Tumkur from Chikmagalur or Kemmangundi?
I intend to drive back to Bangalore via a route other than the one I will take for onward journey (via Hassan) and hence this idea Any suggestions?
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:19   #164
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Chikmagalur next week end. Reaching on Sep 30 noon and returning on 2 Oct. Somebody who has visited there, please suggest the best options for sightseeing with this schedule. I don't want too much of traveling, a good mix of rest and seeing places :-). Planning to stay at a place not very far from town. With wife & kids, long trekking or difficult trails is not an option...
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:21   #165
BHPian

Quote:
If it is Mullianagiri, it should be fine. It is a small trek and you can easily do it. There is a trail between Mullianagiri (temple) and Kavikalgandi check post. You get his checkpost just before Attigundi. This is a relatively safe trail (even in the monsoons). Except for one steep descent after the temple, it is relatively easy. At Kavikalgandi, you meet the main road where you can get buses. If you plan to move on to Bababudangiri from here, it is difficult as you have to walk on a ridge (scary)
Thanks Addy. How long should trek from Mulliangiri to Kavikalgandi take. We are planning a half to one day. Are there any other 'easy' treekking routes which we can plan.