Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:29   #166
BHPian

Default Re: One-day quick trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
I am planning a trip to Chikmagalur next week end. Reaching on Sep 30 noon and returning on 2 Oct. Somebody who has visited there, please suggest the best options for sightseeing with this schedule. I don't want too much of traveling, a good mix of rest and seeing places :-). Planning to stay at a place not very far from town. With wife & kids, long trekking or difficult trails is not an option...
Revy, You will have around 2 days to spend considering the driving time. If you are opting for a Homestay acco, you will find enough activities to plan inside the homestay like plantation walk, some sports, fishing etc for one day. 2nd day - You can plan a trip to Kemmangundi (around 60 km from Chikmagalur), mulliangiri peak, hebbe falls and baba budanagiri (datta peetha) if you are left with time
daisyb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 23rd September 2011, 19:04   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
3-4 days.

When you say different direction, I am aware that it is a NW-erly leading road. I believe this road passes through the Bhadra WLS and the idea is exactly that - to drive through the forest and return to CKM. I am sure there would be forest dept checkposts on this route. Any timing restrictions?

I thought so. In that case, I would probably drive till Baba Budan Hill and come back. Maybe a few kms further towards K'gundi, just for the heck of it
Assuming Chikmagalur is your base, If you are not driving to Kemmangundi, you can club Muthodi, Bababudangiri and Mullaianagiri.

Chikmagalur-Mallandur-Muthodi-Kopprikhan Estate-Attigundi-Bababudangiri (Galikere and Manikyadhara)-Attigundi-Kavikalgandi-Mullianagiri-Chikmagalur

The above sector can be covered in a day easily and it can be done on the other way round too. You can drive to Kemmangundi the next day via Lingadahalli and come back on the same route.

I have no idea if there are any restrictions on time in the WLS limts.

If you decide to go to Kemmangundi on the Attigundi-Kemmangundi road, I'd suggest you skip either Muthodi or Mullianagiri and keep that for the next day.

Quote:
I intend to drive back to Bangalore via a route other than the one I will take for onward journey (via Hassan) and hence this idea Any suggestions?
From Chikmagalur, you can take the Kadur-Arsikere-Tiptur-Tumkur Road (NH206) to Bangalore OR

Visit Belur and Halebidu on the way and back to Bangalore. The route: Ckm-Belur-Halebidu-Javagal-Banavara-Arsikere-Tiptur-Tumkur-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Thanks Addy. How long should trek from Mulliangiri to Kavikalgandi take. We are planning a half to one day. Are there any other 'easy' treekking routes which we can plan.
The trek from 'Sarpadari' (Snake path) to Mullianagiri peak might not take more than 2 hrs (IIRC). Sarpadari is the start point for the Mullianagiri trek. If you start early (around 8-9), you should be able to reach Kavikalgandi by 1 pm. Keep in mind that it will be very windy at the top. AFAIK, there are no other 'easy' trails in the area. You can probably try the Kemmangundi 'Z' Point trail. This is at Kemmangundi.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 18:38   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you decide to go to Kemmangundi on the Attigundi-Kemmangundi road, I'd suggest you skip either Muthodi or Mullianagiri and keep that for the next day.
I am not too hung up on going up to K'gundi. I am more interested in trying out the Attigundi-K'gundi route till wherever I can. But point taken about not doing all of the above in one go. I guess here is what I would do:

* Drive 1: Cover Muthodi range (go up to Muthodi Forest Office/guest house and back)
* Drive 2: Cover Mullainagiri and Baba Budan Giri
* Drive 3: Attigundi - K'gundi road (if time permits)

Quote:
From Chikmagalur, you can take the Kadur-Arsikere-Tiptur-Tumkur Road (NH206) to Bangalore
How about the Lingadahalli - Birur - Tumkur route? How is the Lingadahalli - Birur stretch?

Quote:
Chikmagalur-Mallandur-Muthodi-Kopprikhan Estate-Attigundi-Bababudangiri (Galikere and Manikyadhara)-Attigundi-Kavikalgandi-Mullianagiri-Chikmagalur
This is what Google Maps shows me - is this what you are referring to (from the other end)?
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-ckm.png  

cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 18:54   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Revy, You will have around 2 days to spend considering the driving time. If you are opting for a Homestay acco, you will find enough activities to plan inside the homestay like plantation walk, some sports, fishing etc for one day. 2nd day - You can plan a trip to Kemmangundi (around 60 km from Chikmagalur), mulliangiri peak, hebbe falls and baba budanagiri (datta peetha) if you are left with time
daisyb, thanks for your suggestion ! Yes, I plan for home stay at Coffee County. They too have suggested similar plan. May be I will add the lake which Rajesh posted pics, on the evening of 30 Sep as it is not that far. Next day will be to Kemmanagundi, Mullayanagiri etc. And on 3rd day, some activities like plantation walk etc and back to Bangalore by night !
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 19:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

* Drive 1: Cover Muthodi range (go up to Muthodi Forest Office/guest house and back)
* Drive 2: Cover Mullainagiri and Baba Budan Giri
* Drive 3: Attigundi - K'gundi road (if time permits)
Looks good. The road is good from Chikmagalur to Attigundi.

Quote:
How about the Lingadahalli - Birur - Tumkur route? How is the Lingadahalli - Birur stretch?
This will be feasible if you are travelling from Kemmangundi to Bangalore. From Chikmagalur to Bangalore, if you want to go via Lingadahalli it is a long roundabout.

Chikmagalur-Kadur is 40 kms approx
Chikmagalur-Kadur via Lingadahalli-Birur is 70 kms approx

I have no idea about the road conditions though.

Quote:
This is what Google Maps shows me - is this what you are referring to (from the other end)?
Yes. That is the route.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:55   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you say different direction, I am aware that it is a NW-erly leading road. I believe this road passes through the Bhadra WLS and the idea is exactly that - to drive through the forest and return to CKM. I am sure there would be forest dept checkposts on this route. Any timing restrictions?
Quote:
Chikmagalur-Mallandur-Muthodi-Attigundi-Bababudangiri (Galikere and Manikyadhara)-Attigundi-Kavikalgandi-Mullianagiri-Chikmagalur
I traveled through the Attigundi-Muthodi-Mallandur-Chikmagalur road yesterday night (after a very long time) and it was quite an adventure. I passed by Muthodi at around 9-9.30 pm and there were no restrictions. I also enquired at a village en route (Jagara) and they said there was no restrictions whatsoever. There are checkposts, but no problems there. You just need to watch out for elephants.

But, the road conditions are pathetic. We were lucky that we did not face any rain, else we could have been miserable. The road is very narrow and broken to bits. There is a short stretch while you pass the estate where the road is good, but till you reach Muthodi, it is horrible.

Do not attempt this road in a sedan or a small car. The road is good after Muthodi though.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:15   #172
BHPian

Quote:
I traveled through the Attigundi-Muthodi-Mallandur-Chikmagalur road yesterday night (after a very long time) and it was quite an adventure....

But, the road conditions are pathetic...

The road is very narrow and broken to bits...
Thanks much for the update. I will keep this in mind while planning. Also, I will get the latest updates from the owners of the home-stay I plan to stay in.

Quote:
There is a short stretch while you pass the estate where the road is good, but till you reach Muthodi, it is horrible.
Which estate are you referring to? Also, I assume that you are referring to the Muthodi Forest Office/Guest House when you mention "till you reach Muthodi" above. Please correct me if I am wrong.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:40   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much for the update. I will keep this in mind while planning. Also, I will get the latest updates from the owners of the home-stay I plan to stay in.
Hey, no problem

Quote:
Which estate are you referring to? Also, I assume that you are referring to the Muthodi Forest Office/Guest House when you mention "till you reach Muthodi" above. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The road passes through an estate just after you leave the open mountain tops. I saw boards showing 'Ashirwad Estate'. The road is good in patches inside the estate.

Yes. Muthodi means Muthodi Forest Office/Staff Quarters/Guest House. There is no village as such. You will pass through 2 villages before you reach Muthodi. The first village is Kolagavi (just after the estate) and the next one is Jagara. There is a bus service to Kolagavi (last stop) from Chikmagalur. The road becomes good 3 kms after Jagara. All these landmarks are while coming from Attigundi and going towards Chikmagalur.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 3rd October 2011 at 12:42.
Old 7th November 2011, 13:01   #174
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Did a small trip to Hariharapura (near Sringeri) last friday. These are the updates on the road conditions.

Starting from Hassan, I took the following route for the forward journey

Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Koppa-Hariharapura

Hariharapura is situated between Koppa (10 kms) and Sringeri (20 kms)

Hassan-Belur: is still in very good condition

Belur-Chikmagalur: Getting worse by the day. They have filled up the broken stretches/potholes with mud, but given the rain, they have been washed out or have become slush pits. It still has a couple of good stretches though.

Chikmagalur-Vastare-Aldur: Decent surface with potholes here and there till Vastare. After Vastare, the road has gone to the dogs. Pathetic stretch of road.

Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura: Alternates between good and bad stretches. Road is broken at most curves.

Jayapura-Koppa-Hariharapura: Good surface with very little potholes. But the road has lot of undulations till Koppa. After Koppa, it is very good with almost no potholes and broken stretches till Hariharapura (and the same continues till Sringeri)

We also went to Sringeri and Kigga from Hariharapura and the road is just lovely all the way to Sringeri and till the Kigga turn-off. Kigga is around 7-8 kms from Sringeri towards SK Border-Karkala. This is the NH 13.

For the return journey we took the following route

Hariharapura-Koppa-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Aldur-Haandi-Baskal-Gendehalli-Belur-Hassan

Till Aldur, the road conditions are mentioned above. At Aldur, we decided to take a new route after taking advice from a local friend.

The friend told me that Aldur-Haandi route was newly laid and suggested I take it to reach Chikmagalur via Haandi-Vastare instead of Aldur-Vastare-Chikmagalur.

Coming to the road conditions.

Aldur-Haandi: Lovely road. Newly laid and barring a couple of small humps, is awesome to drive. We join the Chikmagalur-Mudigere road at Haandi. Took a left towards Chikmagalur and after a km or so, we took a right towards Baskal.

Haandi-Baskal: Initially the road was a good single road. But a 2-3 kms after the main road, the potholes began to surface. The next 5 kms to Baskal was pretty bad. The road is broken in lots of places. I did scrape the bottom of the i20 one time. If you have good ground clearance in your car, you can manage it easily.

Baskal-Gendehalli-Belur: Single road with a mixture of good and bad stretches.

This route is 10 kms lesser than the route I took for the onward journey and is faster. But, vehicles having low GC could find it tough.

We were in three cars (an i20, a swift and a Vento). The Swift and the Vento were ahead of me and had already passed Aldur before I reached there. They had taken the regular Aldur-Vastare-Chikmagalur road to reach Belur. Me, in the i20 managed to reach Belur when they had just left Chikmagalur. It was raining heavily on both the routes.
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:20   #175

Default Longer Weekend trip to Chikmagalur - January 26 - 29, 2012

Hi Team,

I would request your kind suggestions as my wife and I are planning a long weekend trip to Chikmagalur from 26th January to 29th January 2012.

26th January 2012
Start at 7 am - Kundalahalli Gate, Bangalore - Outer Ring Road - Hebbal - Neelamangala - Kunigal - Shravanabelagola - Hassan - Belur - Halebeedu - Belur - Chikmagalur
27th January 2012 - Open for Suggestions
28th January 2012 - Open for Suggestions
28th January 2012 - Return to Bangalore

Since it is a 4 days trip, I plan to cover as many places possible en route - Shravanabelagola, Halebeedu, etc.

1. Is it doable - whatever I have mentioned on day 1?
2. Should I cover Kemmanagundi on my return journey and thereby take the Tarikere - Tumkur route on my way back to Bangalore?
3. My wife suggests that we have a dynamic plan and check in to a nearby hotel wherever we are. Can I expect some decent hotels in these areas?

Thanks,
Venkat
bvenkysubbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:14   #176
BHPian

Default Re: Longer Weekend trip to Chikmagalur - January 26 - 29, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvenkysubbu View Post
Hi Team,

I would request your kind suggestions as my wife and I are planning a long weekend trip to Chikmagalur from 26th January to 29th January 2012.

26th January 2012
Start at 7 am - Kundalahalli Gate, Bangalore - Outer Ring Road - Hebbal - Neelamangala - Kunigal - Shravanabelagola - Hassan - Belur - Halebeedu - Belur - Chikmagalur

Since it is a 4 days trip, I plan to cover as many places possible en route - Shravanabelagola, Halebeedu, etc.

2. Should I cover Kemmanagundi on my return journey and thereby take the Tarikere - Tumkur route on my way back to Bangalore?
3. My wife suggests that we have a dynamic plan and check in to a nearby hotel wherever we are. Can I expect some decent hotels in these areas?

Thanks,
Venkat
Did this circuit in December 2011 with my wife and daughter.

You need atleast 90 minutes each in Belur and Halebeedu.

We stayed all the days at Hotel Hassan Ashhok - comfortable but expensive.

Try if you can squeeze in Kukke Subramanya and Dharmasthala - roads in this sector can be very bad, so hire a taxi - we did so.

You will need one whole day for the Babubudan Hills and Kemmanagundi - be aware that there are no proper toilets in this entire stretch.

Road from Nelamangala to Hassan is excellent (4 lane) upto about 100 kms from bangalore and then it becomes a single-carriage two-way road.

We went via Channarayapatna. Kamat is about 10 kms before Hassan.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 19:13   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

26th January 2012

Thanks,
Venkat
Depending on how much time you take to reach and visit Shravanabelagola, you can either complete covering Belur and Halebeedu or skip any one of them on day one.

Day 2: You can visit Muthodi (Bhadra Tiger Reserve) and take the safari (mornings and evenings only). This is about 35 kms from Chikmagalur.

Or

Visit Sringeri (approx 90 kms from Chikmagalur) and Agumbe (approx 30 kms from Sringeri) and back to Chikmagalur. This will be a full day drive on winding roads.

Day 3: Visit Mullayanagiri (highest peak in Karnataka), Bababudangiri and Kemmangundi. One of the most scenic roads in the region. AFAIK, the road from Bababudangiri to Kemmangundi is in bad condition. Return to Chikmagalur in the evening.

Day 4: Visit Belur or Halebeedu if you have skipped it on the first day and return to Bangalore.

The Chikmagalur area does not have many hotels. you can search on the net for homestays which are plenty in number though. For hotels in Chikmagalur, there is a Taj, The Serai and The Planter's Court. The Planter's Court is in Chikmagalur town while the other 2 are in the outskirts. There are a few lodges on bus stand road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
You will need one whole day for the Babubudan Hills and Kemmanagundi - be aware that there are no proper toilets in this entire stretch.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Road from Nelamangala to Hassan is excellent (4 lane) upto about 100 kms from bangalore and then it becomes a single-carriage two-way road.

We went via Channarayapatna. Kamat is about 10 kms before Hassan.
Kamat is 10 kms after Channarayapatna and about 25-28 kms before Hassan.
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:47   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

Thanks,
Venkat
To add to what Addy has already written

a) Pls book in any good homestays. Being long weekend, all of them may be going full. Check out this nice website on homestays in Chikkamagalur www.travelmalnad.com

b) For Breakfast on day 1 check out Shark Dhabha after Solur. Excellent dosas.

c) Don't go by Tarikere route and come back on the same road. The road between Belur and Chikkamagalur is repaired and they have filled in potholes except for the perennial stretch near Hiremagalur for half a KM.

d) If you want to do Shravanabelgola, you need to leave early so that you are able to climb when sun is still mild. As Addy rightly suggest do Shravanabelgola and Belur on Day 1 and do Halebeedu on the way back.

e) Dont miss awesome sunrise at Mullayyanagiri. It is serene and beautiful. If you stay close to Mullayanagiri - Check out Greendale homestay :: Green Dale Holiday Home :: come touch the Sky - you can finish sunrise, come back, have BF and then proceed to Kemmanagundi. We have had good reviews of this place.

f) Don't miss eating outstanding Masale Dose at Town canteen - an iconic restuarant in Chikkamagalur.

g) When you drive down to Horanadu, take a detoour and do ten KMs on Charmadi for fabulous views of Western ghats.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:11   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Kamat is 10 kms after Channarayapatna and about 25-28 kms before Hassan.
I stand corrected
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 12:42   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
b) For Breakfast on day 1 check out Shark Dhabha after Solur. Excellent dosas.
f) Don't miss eating outstanding Masale Dose at Town canteen - an iconic restuarant in Chikkamagalur.
I do agree.
Shark Dhaba Dosa camp is very good. I like the Dosa as well as Hot Thatte Idly here.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote