Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th February 2012, 12:40   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Just came back frrom CKM after a weekend drive to attend a family function.

a) The bad patch after Belur for six KMs has been completely asphalted - they had filled up holes when we drove last month - and is good.

b) Good news - Hiremagalur overbridge is finally getting completed. In next ten days the asphalting on the bridge should be complete and i saw the bridge with layers of jalli stones getting levelled by road rollers. All vehicles have been going over the bridge and we also followed suit.

c) On the way back as we reached Hassan, we took right turn instead of left and then joined the highway. It was a distance of 1.5 KMs of good road with less traffic. This way we avoided going through the Hassan city. One may do additional few KMs but is peaceful.

Talking about Shark Dhabha, we stopped over for lunch and were not impressed with the food especially non-veg. My friend who is a hard core chickenatarian was dissppointed. I feel breakfast here is the best.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 12:50   #182
Senior - BHPian

To get out of Hassan coming from Belur, take a left as you hit town, followed by a right into a (what seems like) a kuchha road almost immediately. Within a km you're on the highway!
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 13:41   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
To get out of Hassan coming from Belur, take a left as you hit town, followed by a right into a (what seems like) a kuchha road almost immediately. Within a km you're on the highway!
Thanks Zenx. I agree there is this Kutcha road. Howver, i do not recommend for low GC vehicles. I used to struggle when i was driving Fiesta earlier
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 14:03   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

^^The bad road being referred to in the above posts is the one connecting BM road at Thaneeruhalla to the Hassan bypass bang opposite to Hero Honda show room.

This short stretch of road is usually in bad shape. Only recently about 4-5 months before, they have leveled the surface with some stones and soil.

Like Fauji mentions, for low GC vehicles, this stretch is a strict no no and venturing into this road often is a gamble as one can get royally stuck for all the reasons. I have even spotted a Versa's (good GC) leaking gearbox stuck as he failed to negotiate a manhole which was protruding at least 3/4ft outside road surface. During or after rains, I would not recommend this road for any car at all.

Also, this stretch is frequented by locals (read timber and sand trucks) and at times you will spot them having bad time maneuvering this narrow stretch in between the parked vehicles. They are also the usual culprits for making this road go down to this level.

Getting on to the Highway from Hassan town can have another not to bad option and thanks to the opening of the New Bus Stand on Holenarasipura Road, the stretch from Town Police Station Circle (Traffic signal) till Bypass is in very good shape and you can get there in under 5 minutes.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th February 2012 at 14:05.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 15:09   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks Zenx. I agree there is this Kutcha road. Howver, i do not recommend for low GC vehicles. I used to struggle when i was driving Fiesta earlier
True - there are some bits you've gotta watch out for. But we do this fairly often, and across the OHC, Indigo, Elantra and of course, Scorpio, haven't face any issues with GC with a little care. Saves us a lot of Hassan (read time, traffic, headache)!
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 15:18   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
^^The bad road being referred to in the above posts is the one connecting BM road at Thaneeruhalla to the Hassan bypass bang opposite to Hero Honda show room.

This short stretch of road is usually in bad shape. Only recently about 4-5 months before, they have leveled the surface with some stones and soil.

Like Fauji mentions, for low GC vehicles, this stretch is a strict no no and venturing into this road often is a gamble as one can get royally stuck for all the reasons. I have even spotted a Versa's (good GC) leaking gearbox stuck as he failed to negotiate a manhole which was protruding at least 3/4ft outside road surface. During or after rains, I would not recommend this road for any car at all.

Also, this stretch is frequented by locals (read timber and sand trucks) and at times you will spot them having bad time maneuvering this narrow stretch in between the parked vehicles. They are also the usual culprits for making this road go down to this level.
I won't say it is a complete no-no. Most potholes are covered up, but it is still a bumpy road. I usually take that road when I'm in Hassan. I have taken my dad's Linea plenty of times on that. I guess, if the Linea's GC can handle it, any car can do the same.

You can avoid it if you see trucks/tractors turning onto/from the highway, but usually during off peak hours, it should be fine.

There is another alternate road. When you hit Thanneeru Halla from Belur Road, take right and after around half a kilometer, take a left (just after the Mahindra showroom). This is a very narrow but good road. It takes you through a village and joins the bypass.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 10:46   #187
BHPian

Anybody know of the recent road conditions to Chikmagalur? I am planning a trip in two weeks from now. Will be driving from Bangalore, starting early morning.....
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 11:04   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Anybody know of the recent road conditions to Chikmagalur? I am planning a trip in two weeks from now. Will be driving from Bangalore, starting early morning.....
Good all the way.
Excellent 4 lane roads till Bellur Cross
Good 2 lane roads (with 4 lane construction activity) till Hassan
Excellent Road between Hassan and Belur.
Good (patchy) road between Belur and Chikmagalur.
Including breaks with an early morning start, you should be taking anything between 3.5-4 hours for this 240+ kms stretch.

Even the alternate road by NH206 (BH road) via Tumkur, Tiptur, Arasikere, Kadur is in good shape with new layer of asphalt between Kadur and Chikmagalur. (You may not want to drive till Kadur and take Devanur Road). This is a very scenic 2 lane road but passes through all the towns mentioned and can take time if passing them after 10am.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th June 2012 at 11:07.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 11:08   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Good all the way.
Excellent 4 lane roads till Bellur Cross
Good 2 lane roads (with 4 lane construction activity) till Hassan
Excellent Road between Hassan and Belur.
Good (patchy) road between Belur and Chikmagalur.
Including breaks with an early morning start, you should be taking anything between 3.5-4 hours for this 240+ kms stretch.

Even the alternate road by NH206 (BH road) via Tumkur, Tiptur, Arasikere, Kadur is in good shape with new layer of asphalt between Kadur and Chikmagalur. (You may not want to drive till Kadur and take Devanur Road). This is a very scenic 2 lane road but passes through all the towns mentioned and can take time if passing them after 10am.
Awesome!
Thanks for the prompt reply Parag! Chikmagalur it is then, I will go ahead and book a resort there!

Thanks a ton!
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 11:41   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Awesome!
Thanks for the prompt reply Parag! Chikmagalur it is then, I will go ahead and book a resort there!

Thanks a ton!
Check at Taj Gateway if they have any monsoon offers. July you typically find these offers.
(Unless of course if you plan to stay at a home stay)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 12:46   #191
BHPian

I did a quick Bangalore - Chikmagalur trip on 16 and back on 17th June. Roads are good all the way. From Hassan towards Kunigal four laning in progress so one encounters patchy and under construction roads. Nothing to worry about. Moreover toll free all they way. Hassan Belur section is dream to drive, smooth tarmac, well marked and very less traffic.

I stayed in SK Regency, 1 km ahead of CHKM bus stand. Costed me 1250 including tax and bed tea. Has basement parking. Nothing much to write about the hotel, sort of okay. I drove to Baba Budanagiri in the afternoon. Bad decision it was, because hill roads are all covered with fog and visibility was reduced to less than 50 mtrs. The last 6 kms of the road to Baba Budanagiri was too bad. It is under construction and they are making an all concrete road.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 12:47   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can take the NH206 via Tumker for the onward journey and Hassan route for the return. I traveled on March 31st and did the same.

Also, I highly recommend Thippanahalli Homestay.

Thippanahalli Home Stay | Home | Experience Heritage the Homely Way
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 16:41   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I did a quick Bangalore - Chikmagalur trip on 16 and back on 17th June. Roads are good all the way. From Hassan towards Kunigal four laning in progress so one encounters patchy and under construction roads. Nothing to worry about. Moreover toll free all they way. Hassan Belur section is dream to drive, smooth tarmac, well marked and very less traffic.

I drove to Baba Budanagiri in the afternoon. Bad decision it was, because hill roads are all covered with fog and visibility was reduced to less than 50 mtrs. The last 6 kms of the road to Baba Budanagiri was too bad. It is under construction and they are making an all concrete road.
Hi,
Am planning a weekend trip to Chikmagalur in the next 2 weeks and as you traveled recently, thought of checking with you on the best route. Google maps shows 2 routes

1. Nelamangala - Dobbspet - Tumkur - Gubbi - Tiptur - Arsikere - Chikmagalur

2. Nelamangala - Kunnigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur

From your post, I think you took the 2nd route. Any particular reason for this - is this better than the first in terms of road condition? Also, how long did it take you for the drive ? Did you also visit the Belur temples, and if so, your tips on the route / best time to go would be nice.
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 16:49   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
The first route will totally be a 2 lane road after Tumkur all the way till you reach Chikmagalur but will definitely offer some very scenic drive after Tumkur and the recently asphalted Kadur-Chikmagalur Road. Additionally, you will save about 66 INR from 2 toll booths in case you opt for this route (but you will pay 29 at Tumkur anyways). Overall, the road surface is good all the way but you will have to experience that typical pain of tailing a train of vehicles not getting a chance to overtake (typical 2 lane).

In case you take the 2nd route (Much preferred), it is 4 lane all the way till Bellur cross which is ~110kms from Bangalore city and the condition is excellent.

Road work is in progress from Bellur Cross onward till Hassan Bypass.

Take Hassan Bypass till the first intersection and then take right, pass the new Bus stand, a railway track and at the next signal take left. Drive till you pass SDM Ayurveda college on the right and then a Hero Honda Show room on the right again. Take the very next right and you will be on Belur Road. (The stretch inside Hassan Town is really a bad experience)

Hassan-Belur remains in great shape since 10 years now.

Belur-Chikmagalur is good with a few bad patches immediately after Belur and about 3 kms further.

Ideally, sticking to the second route, your drive will be less stressful all the way till Chikmagalur as you would easily cover almost 100kmph in the first 60 minutes without much ado.

On Return you may want to try the NH206 for a change.

Note: I drove to Belur and Chikmagalur last weekend (July 21-22)

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th July 2012 at 16:55.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 16:58   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Hi,
Am planning a weekend trip to Chikmagalur in the next 2 weeks and as you traveled recently, thought of checking with you on the best route. Google maps shows 2 routes

1. Nelamangala - Dobbspet - Tumkur - Gubbi - Tiptur - Arsikere - Chikmagalur

2. Nelamangala - Kunnigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur

From your post, I think you took the 2nd route. Any particular reason for this - is this better than the first in terms of road condition? Also, how long did it take you for the drive ? Did you also visit the Belur temples, and if so, your tips on the route / best time to go would be nice.

Route 1 is definitely more scenic. I would prefer it. Traffic is also not much. Hence you can do decent speeds.

I would suggest you take route 1 for onward and route 2 for the return or vice versa.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote