Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th July 2012, 17:58   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
^^
Ideally, sticking to the second route, your drive will be less stressful all the way till Chikmagalur as you would easily cover almost 100kmph in the first 60 minutes without much ado.

On Return you may want to try the NH206 for a change.

Note: I drove to Belur and Chikmagalur last weekend (July 21-22)
Many thanks; definitely will prefer driving on a 4 lane rather than tailing vehicles, so I will use the Hassan route for onward journey. Am planning to reach Chikmagalur by noon and stay there for 2 nights at the Spectrum Homestay - have you heard of this place and if so, reviews / comments will be welcome.

I see that your location is Belur / Bangalore - assuming you travel frequently to Belur, I am interested in visiting the Belur temples. What would be a good time of the day to go there? Am thinking of covering the temple on the way back to Bangalore, leaving Chickmagalur by 9-10 AM. Would this be a good idea? Also, is there anything in Hassan that's worth doing / visiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Route 1 is definitely more scenic. I would prefer it. Traffic is also not much. Hence you can do decent speeds.

I would suggest you take route 1 for onward and route 2 for the return or vice versa.
Thank you for your thoughts !
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 18:36   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Many thanks; definitely will prefer driving on a 4 lane rather than tailing vehicles, so I will use the Hassan route for onward journey. Am planning to reach Chikmagalur by noon and stay there for 2 nights at the Spectrum Homestay - have you heard of this place and if so, reviews / comments will be welcome.

I see that your location is Belur / Bangalore - assuming you travel frequently to Belur, I am interested in visiting the Belur temples. What would be a good time of the day to go there? Am thinking of covering the temple on the way back to Bangalore, leaving Chickmagalur by 9-10 AM. Would this be a good idea? Also, is there anything in Hassan that's worth doing / visiting?
You are welcome buddy!

To comment on the homestays and resorts in this area, I may be the wrong person as I always end up staying at my home(s) in Belur and Chikmagalur whenever I go there. Probably, the rest of the folks on the forum should help you.

On Belur - Well, the Temple stays open till almost 7-30pm on weekends and a little early on weekdays. You can ideally visit Belur and Halebidu Temples and then drive off to Chikmagalur. I would suggest you visit both of these under natural light to experience the beauty of it.

The total time with sedate driving from NICE intersection on Tumkur Road till Belur wont take more than 3 hours including a break.

Target Belur temple first and then drive to Halebidu which is 16kms from Belur although you will find an option to deviate to Halebidu between Hassan and Belur itself which is not recommended due to the quality of the road.

From Halebidu you can come back to Belur Circle and take right towards Chikmagalur town which should take about 25 minutes.

So,
Belur-Halebidu = 16 kms
Halebidu - Belur - Chikmagalur = 16+25 = 41 kms (about 45 minutes).

Nothing much in Hassan town worth visiting.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th July 2012 at 18:38.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 19:53   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many thanks; definitely will prefer driving on a 4 lane rather than tailing vehicles, so I will use the Hassan route for onward journey.
Thanks to Addy and Parag, do also note that, crossing Hassan through the traffic may take some time. There is a bypass but which is quite bad.

But its only about few 100 meters. If you are willing to take here is the link:

Hassan Bypass

Noe that the bad section is between points B and C. You also cross a railway in that section. The way to spot the turning is :
- After you get onto the Hassan bypass, leave first two main cross roads.
- The first one is the Mysore SH, while the second is the Gorur SH
- Take next crossing.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 20:21   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks to Addy and Parag, do also note that, crossing Hassan through the traffic may take some time. There is a bypass but which is quite bad.

But its only about few 100 meters. If you are willing to take here is the link:

Hassan Bypass

Noe that the bad section is between points B and C. You also cross a railway in that section. The way to spot the turning is :
- After you get onto the Hassan bypass, leave first two main cross roads.
- The first one is the Mysore SH, while the second is the Gorur SH
- Take next crossing.
This is what I normally prefer Amp but since the past few weeks of rains, this section of road is in a complete mess most of the times and it makes sense to opt for the Gorur Road or the Mysore road to get onto BM road and then take right to Belur at Thaneeruhalla.

At times, this small section (which is just 500 meters) also witnesses jams due to unscientific laying of Manhole that protrudes 1 ft above the road surface, vehicles trying to avoid this and to add to this, already parked vehicles in front of the houses on this road. This road is heavily used by local trucks all the times and doesn't have a proper asphalt surface and is muddy. So, during rains, It is better to avoid this stretch.

Earlier, the Gorur Road and Mysore Road were in bad shape apart from the usual bad patch of BM road itself which resulted in so much time consumption. But now, Gorur road is fully asphalted and you will pass over a ROB (over the same tracks) and from Gorur Road Junction to Belur road, it takes less than 5-8 minutes in traffic.

Trust me, taking the Mysore Road Or Gorur Road is a preferred option these days.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th July 2012 at 20:22.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 20:26   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Trust me, taking the Mysore Road Or Gorur Road is a preferred option these days.
Thanks Parag. That helps. I also remember those manholes and also the railway crossing was really bad! So as you say Gorur road makes much more sense.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 21:02   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks Parag. That helps. I also remember those manholes and also the railway crossing was really bad! So as you say Gorur road makes much more sense.
Quote:

Earlier, the Gorur Road and Mysore Road were in bad shape apart from the usual bad patch of BM road itself which resulted in so much time consumption. But now, Gorur road is fully asphalted and you will pass over a ROB (over the same tracks) and from Gorur Road Junction to Belur road, it takes less than 5-8 minutes in traffic.

Taking Mysore road will be longer. Now that the Gorur road is done up, this would be the best option. Although, you still need to pass through about a km of potholed road.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 12:35   #202
BHPian

Quote:

The total time with sedate driving from NICE intersection on Tumkur Road till Belur wont take more than 3 hours including a break.

Target Belur temple first and then drive to Halebidu which is 16kms from Belur although you will find an option to deviate to Halebidu between Hassan and Belur itself which is not recommended due to the quality of the road.

Nothing much in Hassan town worth visiting.
Many thanks. One last thing - would you recommend visiting Chikmagalur in mid August - targeting to go there between 18 and 20th for the Eid break. Being rainy season, what would you suggest? I can imagine it will be quite picturesque and green in the rains.
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 12:43   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks. One last thing - would you recommend visiting Chikmagalur in mid August - targeting to go there between 18 and 20th for the Eid break. Being rainy season, what would you suggest? I can imagine it will be quite picturesque and green in the rains.
The rain this year has been deficient everywhere including Chikmagalur. Last weekend when I was there, it was drizzling lightly and that didn't bother anyone of us there to take a walk outside too. There is no prediction that I would do on the conditions in August and would suggest you simply drive.

You should only bother if its raining heavily which would cease all your outdoor activities here.

Otherwise, Malenadu will offer a picturesque experience during or after monsoons anyways making your visit worthwhile.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th July 2012 at 12:45.
Old 26th April 2013, 08:58   #204
Senior - BHPian

How are the present roads to Chikmagalur via Hassan? I believe there is now a expressway to some point. Is this a toll road?

Approaching this route from Cox Town, do I need to climb the new fly over at Pennya or go below it to take the right on to Mangalore highway?
sandeepmohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 11:27   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
How are the present roads to Chikmagalur via Hassan? I believe there is now a expressway to some point. Is this a toll road?

Approaching this route from Cox Town, do I need to climb the new fly over at Pennya or go below it to take the right on to Mangalore highway?
The road to Chikmagalur via Hassan is in excellent condition. The only thing to note is that after Bellur cross, the road is still under construction and has diversions. Traffic is allowed only on one side of the road in certain places. But the condition of the road is super. After Hassan, it is a very good 2 lane road to Chikmagalur.

Depends on which route you take from Cox town, if you join NH4 at Goreguntepaya/Yeshwantpur, you can take the elevated road. There is a clearly marked exit from the toll road to reach NH75 (Mangalore Road).
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 22:06   #206
BHPian

Just back from a weekend trip to Chikmagalur. As far as the roads are concerned, the Channarayanapatna bypass came as a pleasant surprise. I wasnt aware that it was thrown open to the public. 2 more toll-booths are under construction but I hope they only start collecting it post the completion of the 4-laning.

Belur to Chikmagalur road is in excellent condition. Infact all the way upto Mullayanagiri ( except for that last little broken/steep/narrow stretch ). You need to be really careful there.

The weather was just perfect this weekend and as far as stay is concerned, stayed at Thippanahalli homestay. It's a great place to stay and the food was just awesome.
explorer09 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 22:21   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
the Channarayanapatna bypass came as a pleasant surprise. I wasnt aware that it was thrown open to the public.
The opening up of Channarayanapatna is certainly the best news you have given on the weekend.It wasn't open for traffic last week when I drove.

I am sure the bypass will now easily save a good 10-15 minutes of passing through the usually messy town traffic during the day.
Old 30th April 2013, 07:54   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The only thing to note is that after Bellur cross, the road is still under construction and has diversions.
Quote:
Belur to Chikmagalur road is in excellent condition.
I find these two comments quite the opposite. Is there road work still going on? Do you loose time in this section?

I have a question about the right turn you take that leads to the Chikmagalur road while on the hassan by pass. As a landmark, does this right turn take place after a point where you have a water line (pipe) going above you?

Quote:
Infact all the way upto Mullayanagiri
Going only up to KM Road.
sandeepmohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 08:00   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I find these two comments quite the opposite. Is there road work still going on? Do you loose time in this section?
Bel(l)ur Cross and Belur are two separate places. Bellur Cross hits you on the Bangalore-Hassan highway after Yadiyur. It leads to town called Bellur off the highway.
While Belur is the town beyond Hassan on the way to Chikmagulur, where you have the temples which all people visit. Both the guys are right. Its just that the places are named similarly.

Bellur Cross : Location
Belur : Location

Last edited by ampere : 30th April 2013 at 08:08.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 09:08   #210
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question about the right turn you take that leads to the Chikmagalur road while on the hassan by pass. As a landmark, does this right turn take place after a point where you have a water line (pipe) going above you?

Going only up to KM Road.
You can look out for Rajeev Institute of Technology on your left when you are on the bypass going towards Mangalore. Its the second right after that.

Once you take that right turn, keep going till you hit a 4-road junction where you need to take a left and then you finally hit a Y-junction where you take the right and thats the Belur road.

Hope this helps.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote