Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th April 2013, 11:22   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I find these two comments quite the opposite. Is there road work still going on? Do you loose time in this section?
As ampere has already explained, Bellur and Belur are different places. And roads passing both the places are in good condition. So, no need to worry at all.

Regarding road work, most of the road work is complete. But they are allowing traffic only on one side of the road. Road surface is excellent except while passing through towns and where work is still going on. You will not lose much time at all and can maintain good speeds.

Quote:
I have a question about the right turn you take that leads to the Chikmagalur road while on the hassan by pass. As a landmark, does this right turn take place after a point where you have a water line (pipe) going above you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
You can look out for Rajeev Institute of Technology on your left when you are on the bypass going towards Mangalore. Its the second right after that.

Once you take that right turn, keep going till you hit a 4-road junction where you need to take a left and then you finally hit a Y-junction where you take the right and thats the Belur road.

Hope this helps.
Slightly incorrect explorer09. The second right is the Hassan Gorur road and will take you into Hassan. You can go from there also, but that will be longer and has traffic.

After you enter the Hassan bypass, you will pass through 2 major junctions. These are the Hassan-Mysore road and the second one is the Hassan-Gorur road. The road you need to take is the third right. I have marked the road in the screenshot below.

Point A is where you need to take a right. Take left at point B and immediately take a right at Point C.

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-hassan-bypass.png

After the second junction, you will cross 2 bridges. Take right immediately after the second bridge. The turn is approx 1.3 kms from the second junction.
addyhemmige is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 11:33   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Point A is where you need to take a right. Take left at point B and immediately take a right at Point C.
Thanks a lot for this. For some reason, I never really thought about this and I got used to that Gorur road. I'll check it out next time.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 15:39   #213
Senior - BHPian

Did a weekend trip to Chikmagalur and back. Stayed at The Gateway Hotel. Accommodation was excellent. There is not much to do in Chikmagalur. We visited the Coffee Barn Cafe which is 25km from our hotel. Its worth the drive even if you do not care much about coffee. We ended up going there twice. One was in the evening when we did not know they were shut after 6pm so we had to turn back into town. Their times are 8am - 6pm. We went again in the morning for breakfast which was simple, value for money English breakfast and excellent. For those who love chicory free coffee, you are going to love this place. The best part about the cafe is the location. Its on a coffee plantation itself and right on the main highway that leads to Tarikere. Its also very quiet for something bang on the main state highway. The quiet was enough for me to just want to chill and relax.

The standard Bangalore Mangalore highway was exciting when we started but this faded away even before Shravanabelagula. I ended up going into town as I saw a take diversion board on the highway but this had some other meaning.The completed free way ends much before this place and its all diversions. These diversions don't slow you down by much. You can maintain decent speeds. All the good time done on the free way, which now has two functional and annoying toll booths, is lost after Channarayapattana. I say annoying toll booths for the one big problem is the numbers they decide for toll charges. Rs. 36. Why on earth do they have to arrive at these difficult numbers. Nobody has change. Its a problem with every toll booth. Some of them are a complete scam. As for the highway experience, it was a bit of a let down. It got interesting again only after Hassan. A little over dependence on gmaps also put me on the wrong road just 10km shy of Chikmagalur. That was a disaster. It landed up is some village where the road just ended.

On the return, I took Kadur - Banavara - Arsikere- Tiptur - Gubbi- Tumkur bypass (NH 206). In my opinion, this is a much better and faster approach to Chikmagalur. It took just 3hours and 40min. We did a non stop run. I found the drive more involving and apart from the broken Tumkur By Pass and toll booths, nothing slowed us down. The roads were absolutely empty too. Surface quality is outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The road you need to take is the third right. I have marked the road in the screenshot below.
I can now confirm that the better landmark for this right is immediately after a large structure crosses (Its a concrete structure carrying a water pipe) over the road and runs beside the road for a short bit.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th May 2013 at 16:54.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 11:14   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can now confirm that the better landmark for this right is immediately after a large structure crosses (Its a concrete structure carrying a water pipe) over the road and runs beside the road for a short bit.
Nope. This is not the right turn that I mentioned. The concrete structure you mention is located at the end of the bypass. While you can take that road too, it is longer than what I have suggested. I think you have missed that road and traveled the length of the whole bypass, Sandeep
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 15:24   #215
BHPian

Planning to visit Belur/Halebid tomorrow. Can anyone give an update on the road conditions to Belur? Which of the following route is better after the monsoon rains:

Via Tumkur - Tiptur - Belur
OR
Via Kunigal - Hassan - Belur
guruji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 16:22   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Planning to visit Belur/Halebid tomorrow. Can anyone give an update on the road conditions to Belur? Which of the following route is better after the monsoon rains:

Via Tumkur - Tiptur - Belur
OR
Via Kunigal - Hassan - Belur
The fastest will be Option 2.

You can directly hit Belur and then Halebidu (16kms) and then drive to Hassan from Halebidu either via Hagare or Salagame.

Road conditions to Belur are as follows:
Bangalore-Nelamnagala-Kunigal-Bellur cross: Excellent roads
Bellur Cross - Hirisave - CR Patna - Hassan - 4 lane work in Progress but doesn't really slow you down. Drive safe in this section.

Take the route suggested to get onto Belur road from Hassan bypass as indicated by addyhemmige above.

Hassan-Belur - Good roads, recently re-asphalted. Speedbreakers at couple of locations soon after Hassan (near Kuppali) and nearing Hagare.

Belur-Halebidu - Good road

Helebidu-Hagare - OK Road.

Hagare-Hassan - This is again the same road (Belur -Hagare- Hassan) for next 20 kms till Hassan.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 13:23   #217
BHPian

Me wifey and couple of friends are planning for a 3-4 days trip to Chikmagalur, kudremukh and kemmanagundi.
Can any of you please plan an itinerary for us? We do not have much idea on the must visit places. We are starting from bangalore.
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 17:05   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Me wifey and couple of friends are planning for a 3-4 days trip to Chikmagalur, kudremukh and kemmanagundi.
Can any of you please plan an itinerary for us? We do not have much idea on the must visit places. We are starting from bangalore.
- I think 2 nights should suffice for Chikkamagulur.
- For Kudremukh maybe you need to plan a stay either at Sringeri or Kalasa or some where close. Because there is no point coming to CKM.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 17:18   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
The must visit places around this area are usually :
- Mullayanagiri mountain (you can drive all the way to the top, cautious drive though)
- Sringeri temple
- Belur / Halebid heritage ruins

Kemmanugundi is relatively close to Chikmagalur, but not motorable by car. It needs 1 day from morning to evening. Jeeps can be hired to go to the top. There is also one Kalhatti falls en route.

Belur/Halebid can be covered on the way from B'lore to Chikmagalur (doesn't need a separate day). Mullayanagiri is a half-day affair to drive up and come back.

For accommodation in Chikmagalur, I suggest you look up TripAdvisor for suggestions based on your budget requirements. In Kudremukh, there is a resort called Silent Valley which seems to be the most common choice for Bangalore tourists.

Here's a sample itinerary I can think of :

Day 1 - go to Kudremukh, visit places there and spend the night
Day 2 - go to Sringeri temple, come back to Chikmagalur by late afternoon. Ask resort staff to take you to nearby falls and hills.
Day 3 - visit Kemmanugundi peak, return to resort by evening and spend time there
Day 4 - Leave early after breakfast, visit Mullayanagiri peak, get back to Chikmagalur for lunch. Visit Belur, Halebid on the way back, return to Bangalore by nightfall.

Hope this helps. If you drop Kudremukh, the itinerary will be a little more spread out and relaxed.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th August 2013 at 17:29.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 10:21   #220
Senior - BHPian

Guys, planning to drive to Chikmaglur -> Mullayangiri/Bababudangiri -> JLR River Tern Lodge.

How are the road conditions
a) via Lingadahalli
b) via Kemmangundi

Thanks

Last edited by lancer_rit : 14th March 2014 at 10:23.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 19:45   #221
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to drive down on the 1st of May to Chikmagalur. Is it ok to use the Bangalore - Hassan road?

I will be self-driving a Ford Fiesta SXI. Tips on places to have food, refuel, etc are most welcome.

Looking forward to your suggestions and advice please.

With best regards
Naga Sid
naga.sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 13:26   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive down on the 1st of May to Chikmagalur. Is it ok to use the Bangalore - Hassan road?

I will be self-driving a Ford Fiesta SXI. Tips on places to have food, refuel, etc are most welcome.

With best regards
Naga Sid
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur.Road is in excellent condition.Plenty of places to eat enroute at Bellur Cross,Hassan etc.Its just a short drive and should not take you more than 5 hours at your slowest best.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 13:31   #223
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore-Hassan (NH4 upto Nelamangala, then turn left onto NH48, look for directions to Mangalore) and Hassan-Belur are in great condition.

Hassan-Belur road has many speed breakers so don't overspeed, keep to the posted limit, IIRC 80kmph.

Not too sure about current road conditions beyond Belur, last I traveled was in December 2013.

Breaks:
If you start early morning you can stop for breakfast at
-Swathi Delicacy (This is just a km before the turn off to Yediyur) on the right side of the highway about 100Km from Bangalore, or about 65Km from Nelamangala junction.
-Alternately, you can stop at Mayura, Bellur Cross on left side of highway. This is about 5Km after Swathi. There are several fuel pumps as well on the way to Hassan, not a problem.

You can even plan a visit to Shravanabelagola which is on the way and maybe even Halebid and Belur (but weather is really hot at this time of the year at all these places).

Last edited by NPV : 30th April 2014 at 13:34.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 13:34   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

With best regards
Naga Sid
Tank up in Bangalore and that should last all the way to destination so that you really don't have to bother about refueling.

On the way back, you can refill inside Chikmagalur town (Plenty of options) or right at the BPCL Station while crossing Belur outskirts.

For food, like Ranjit says, there are plenty of options: Some very common ones being Mayura at Bellur cross, Aadya's Athithi (Now open after renovation) and Kamat (Soon after the Channarayapatna bypass).

On the way back to Bangalore also, you can opt for Kamat or Malgudi (This is immediately after the Nelligere toll) or Swati Delicacy near Yediyur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not too sure about current road conditions beyond Belur, last I traveled was in December 2013.
Drove 3 weeks before and this remains in good condition.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th April 2014 at 13:35.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 20:21   #225
BHPian

Thanks ranjitp1, NPV, paragsachania.

I am back from the drive. The roads are great and so was Swati delicacy. I am adding a pic so that future drivers find it useful.

The toll gates were a pain and queues are poorly managed.

The good news is that there was 3G signal available intermittently on the highway!

Signing off with a picture of a ghat section "canteen" according to Google maps. The place had some good fresh lime soda.

Best regards
Naga Sid
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-1399215005825.jpg  

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-1399215079980.jpg  

naga.sid is offline   Reply With Quote